Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The guy actually being just as lovely as she thought he was really undercuts like..the entire angle it seemed like they were going with with Makoto's S.link. "Wow my friend is mad I keep butting into her personal affairs, except I'm actually correct to be doing so" is dumb!!!!

Making the guy be on the up and up would have been a good opportunity for Makoto to learn not to constantly involve herself in other peoples business...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Ryuji's Social Link is probably my favorite in P5 just because I can relate to 'guy doing sports for reasons he hasn't actually thought through but suffers a massive leg injury that basically kills any chances of continuing it and has to watch all the people he thought were his friends drop him like a hot sack immediately' resonated with me, as that was literally my experience in high school (though in my case it was the fact i broke one leg in two places, healed, went 'ok lets try that again' and promptly went on to break the other one, at which point I got the message and quit lol)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

I didn't particularly care for Akechi in the base game, but it's remarkable how by simply doubling down they made him amazing

Yeah my overriding fear going into Royal was that they'd redeem Akechi by whitewashed all his poo poo but no, instead they leaned in 200% and it made me like the character more.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is changing people's heart for minor offenses kind of hosed up? It seems a bit hosed up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Is changing people's heart for minor offenses kind of hosed up? It seems a bit hosed up.

I can't think of many minor offenses you so it for. Even the non Palace ones are like 'abused his girlfriend' 'kills cats for pleasure' and 'is a hitman'

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The guy actually being just as lovely as she thought he was really undercuts like..the entire angle it seemed like they were going with with Makoto's S.link. "Wow my friend is mad I keep butting into her personal affairs, except I'm actually correct to be doing so" is dumb!!!!

Making the guy be on the up and up would have been a good opportunity for Makoto to learn not to constantly involve herself in other peoples business...

I feel like 'if you are suspicious your friend is being abused just shut up and don't say anything because you might be wrong' is a bad plot.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I can't think of many minor offenses you so it for. Even the non Palace ones are like 'abused his girlfriend' 'kills cats for pleasure' and 'is a hitman'

Someone mentioned cheating at a video game earlier, and that seems pretty minor.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

cheesetriangles posted:

Someone mentioned cheating at a video game earlier, and that seems pretty minor.

Yeah, this is the main petty one and it's ridiculous.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair 'cheated at a videogame' is an outlier.

But everything about that s.link was pretty silly, so whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Dude was an adult bullying children. Not on the high end of the spectrum but absolutely someone who needs to change their behavior.

That is also probably the most petty one but it is explicitly 'adult having fun 'beating' kids'

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

It's the worst crime someone could commit

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mix. posted:

Ryuji's Social Link is probably my favorite in P5 just because I can relate to 'guy doing sports for reasons he hasn't actually thought through but suffers a massive leg injury that basically kills any chances of continuing it and has to watch all the people he thought were his friends drop him like a hot sack immediately' resonated with me, as that was literally my experience in high school (though in my case it was the fact i broke one leg in two places, healed, went 'ok lets try that again' and promptly went on to break the other one, at which point I got the message and quit lol)

Ryuji is good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arist posted:

Yeah, this is the main petty one and it's ridiculous.

Ridiculous that the guy was getting away with it for so long!!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There's probably an argument to be made that brainwashing anyone for almost ay crime is immoral.

Which I think is the opinion the Thieves settle on in the end,, if I'm remembering right, anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

There's probably an argument to be made that brainwashing anyone for almost ay crime is immoral.

Which I think is the opinion the Thieves settle on in the end,, if I'm remembering right, anyway.

Their opinion settles on 'it is wrong but not as wrong as doing nothing'

The only time they really really doubt themselves is after Haru's dad goes down and that is because they think they killed a guy.

They stop at the end because all their powers go away and their identities were revealed. Strikers shows that they had zero issue jumping back in when their powers came back.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 20, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They also kind of debate things before Kamoshida though that is more focused on the possibility of killing him.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The only time they really really doubt themselves is after Haru's dad goes down and that is because they think they killed a guy.

This whole bit is still wild to me. Just the text conversations reassuring haru that don't worry, your dad will confess his crimes and be fine, we are professionals we have done this several times

Then his loving head explodes scanners style on national TV

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

This whole bit is still wild to me. Just the text conversations reassuring haru that don't worry, your dad will confess his crimes and be fine, we are professionals we have done this several times

Then his loving head explodes scanners style on national TV

I think the only reason Haru didn't freak out and tell them to gently caress off is that she was secretly pleased.

'Oh no, daddy, how terrible. Just awful.' *goes back to sharpening her axe'

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/REALMadMax1960/status/1583186258721132544

Microsoft doesn't really enforce regional restrictions so you can set your location to New Zealand/Australia and play now through the win 10 store (maybe Xbox Gamepass)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jexner posted:

PSA, if you want to play the game now on gamepass just set your locale on pc or console to a region/country where its the 21st.
I have no idea if it works the same way on PS5/Switch.

I tried, gamestop won't hand me the copy

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ImpAtom posted:

I think the only reason Haru didn't freak out and tell them to gently caress off is that she was secretly pleased.

Yeah, the game doesn't get into it, but actions and responses to the death felt very "Holy poo poo this is amazing, he's dead! I'm free! Don't smile, don't cheer, it'll make you look like a sociopath. Just keep a straight face in front of your friends and you can start celebrating as soon as they're gone."

Edit:

And I kind of don't blame her? It's been a while since I've played, but I remember her dad sucking as a father and a person.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Looking forward to the FeMC mod that will never be finished.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ImpAtom posted:

Eeeeeh, her dad comes back in Maruki's altered reality and unlike the rest of the masses the stuff he gives to the thieves is all specifically tailored to match their hearts true desires. I agree that she was able to move on pretty quickly but I think Haru would have preferred "alive and no longer a piece of poo poo" to dead.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I played like 70 hours of P5 when it first came out but I got drawn away from the game and eventually Royal was announced and I felt I should just wait for that since I would start over from the beginning anyway. Then I was waiting for a good sale on Royal and they announced the PC release right as I was about to buy it again.

I'm about to start again on Gamepass finally.

-If anyone has some protip reminders for things to look out for early game, I'd appreciate it.
-Any kind of non-super-spoiler summary of significant things that Royal changes would also be cool- I know they added a new party member and that's seriously the only thing I'm aware of.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Scoss posted:

-If anyone has some protip reminders for things to look out for early game, I'd appreciate it.
-Any kind of non-super-spoiler summary of significant things that Royal changes would also be cool- I know they added a new party member and that's seriously the only thing I'm aware of.

Read FAQ in the second post of the thread

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Scoss posted:

I played like 70 hours of P5 when it first came out but I got drawn away from the game and eventually Royal was announced and I felt I should just wait for that since I would start over from the beginning anyway. Then I was waiting for a good sale on Royal and they announced the PC release right as I was about to buy it again.

I'm about to start again on Gamepass finally.

Royal adds a buncha new poo poo. There's the jazz club, which lets you give party members stat boosts and new skills after you unlock it. There's playing darts with your teammates, which makes their Baton Passes better. There's billiards to upgrade Technical hits. Guns are more useful because they reload every fight. There's three new Confidants, including a revamped one, and all three are extremely worth doing (one of them gates the new best ending).

Most of the new stuff is tutorialized, so that's just some of it.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Sydin posted:

Eeeeeh, her dad comes back in Maruki's altered reality and unlike the rest of the masses the stuff he gives to the thieves is all specifically tailored to match their hearts true desires. I agree that she was able to move on pretty quickly but I think Haru would have preferred "alive and no longer a piece of poo poo" to dead.

I think she'd have preferred it that way - but knew it was never going to happen.

And for a newbie to P5R who's played P5 I'd suggest the following tips:
  • Set your difficulty to Merciless unless you want Easy. It's a whole lot more fun; hitting weaknesses triples damage.
  • Baton Passes are a core fun mechanic in a way they weren't in P5. Instead of requiring rank 2 with your team mate to trigger one (meaning you couldn't do them in that team mate's dungeon) you now only require Igor to be rank 2. If you have a baton pass with all four of you in a chain the final attack is called a sweep and does extra damage - and costs nothing.
  • To let you trigger sweeps have your team use those silly little accessories that give someone an elemental attack - and have Joker with an Elemental Variety Persona that's basically no weaknesses and a collection of low level elemental attacks. Baton pass properly and you'll have a lot of endurance
  • There's now a point to actually exploring dungeons; three hidden "will seeds" that recover SP and will give you a nice accessory if you get them all
  • Akechi's a real boy now and you need (and I mean need) to hang out with him rather than auto rank up. It's worth it.
  • You also need to rank up both the new NPCs (don't worry. Both are fun and powerful). Oh, and don't forget Tora on Sundays as he goes away.
  • Rush Ryuji to rank 7. In the base game his instakill was terrible but it's awesome in Royal and can lead to some glorious vehicular homicide sprees in the revamped Mementos. (Which even contains collectables and secrets - and it's easy to overlevel in)
  • Okumura is now the hardest boss in the game - until you crack the puzzle. It's all about sweeps. It's Haru and Morgana's dungeon so you need both of them in your team. And you need either Ryuji or Makoto as your fourth. And to be able to sweep with all of them.

The game is massively better - the translation's tightened up, the gameplay is more fun, and the story's better both in the P5 area and in the extra month. And Mementos is far, far better. Have fun.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mostly disagree with the Merciless thing (except during the Okumura boss fight)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

neonchameleon posted:

I think she'd have preferred it that way - but knew it was never going to happen.

And for a newbie to P5R who's played P5 I'd suggest the following tips:
  • Set your difficulty to Merciless unless you want Easy. It's a whole lot more fun; hitting weaknesses triples damage.
  • Baton Passes are a core fun mechanic in a way they weren't in P5. Instead of requiring rank 2 with your team mate to trigger one (meaning you couldn't do them in that team mate's dungeon) you now only require Igor to be rank 2. If you have a baton pass with all four of you in a chain the final attack is called a sweep and does extra damage - and costs nothing.
  • To let you trigger sweeps have your team use those silly little accessories that give someone an elemental attack - and have Joker with an Elemental Variety Persona that's basically no weaknesses and a collection of low level elemental attacks. Baton pass properly and you'll have a lot of endurance
  • There's now a point to actually exploring dungeons; three hidden "will seeds" that recover SP and will give you a nice accessory if you get them all
  • Akechi's a real boy now and you need (and I mean need) to hang out with him rather than auto rank up. It's worth it.
  • You also need to rank up both the new NPCs (don't worry. Both are fun and powerful). Oh, and don't forget Tora on Sundays as he goes away.
  • Rush Ryuji to rank 7. In the base game his instakill was terrible but it's awesome in Royal and can lead to some glorious vehicular homicide sprees in the revamped Mementos. (Which even contains collectables and secrets - and it's easy to overlevel in)
  • Okumura is now the hardest boss in the game - until you crack the puzzle. It's all about sweeps. It's Haru and Morgana's dungeon so you need both of them in your team. And you need either Ryuji or Makoto as your fourth. And to be able to sweep with all of them.

The game is massively better - the translation's tightened up, the gameplay is more fun, and the story's better both in the P5 area and in the extra month. And Mementos is far, far better. Have fun.

Wait, what did they change about the translation?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A handful of lines are different/less awkward. It's a marginal improvement at best.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Arist posted:

A handful of lines are different/less awkward. It's a marginal improvement at best.

Hope I still get to ask uncle to "please take care of me" and everyone frequently expresses that things "can't be helped"

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Arist posted:

The only one I really remember is that Ryuji actually gets to make a Fist of the North Star joke about Makoto's awakening instead of just awkwardly hinting to the side of such a joke.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
1 ~ 2 more hours till P5R is out but I can't buy or download it anyways because I'm at work...

I hear status effects are more useful in P5R and they work on bosses now?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

1 ~ 2 more hours till P5R is out but I can't buy or download it anyways because I'm at work...

I hear status effects are more useful in P5R and they work on bosses now?

Status effects were always useful in P5 but Royal really assures that you can inflict them easily.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

neonchameleon posted:

[*]Baton Passes are a core fun mechanic in a way they weren't in P5. Instead of requiring rank 2 with your team mate to trigger one (meaning you couldn't do them in that team mate's dungeon) you now only require Igor to be rank 2. If you have a baton pass with all four of you in a chain the final attack is called a sweep and does extra damage - and costs nothing.

As an additional tip, Yusuke's skills capitalize on this baton pass, so use him when you get a hang of it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Here's my counterintuitive tip: if you actually want to be challenged even a little bit, play on Hard instead of Merciless and engage with the fusion alarm mechanic sparingly if at all. For the former Merciless gives 3x damage on attacks that exploit weaknesses for everybody, including you, so it's extremely easy to steamroll everything. For the latter Personas made during a fusion alarm get absolutely ridiculous skills which you can pretty trivially roll into new fusions, and the alarm triggers so often that it only takes a dungeon or two before you can absolutely trick out one Persona into a beast.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Status effects were always useful in P5 but Royal really assures that you can inflict them easily.

Honestly the only time I really used status effects was with Yosuke's Tentarafoo in P4, so I guess I should try playing around with them more in P5R. Like I know there was a way to farm gold with them in P5, I think? But I never used it.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I found out recently that Persona 3 FES has a mod scene and I'm psyched to try out some of the visual and rebalance mods I've seen. I would've never guessed that was a thing but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ok Persona 5 on Steam costs double what I thought it would lmao.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1687950/Persona_5_Royal/

It's live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://streamable.com/swjee2
https://streamable.com/ao10nd

Sega put a filter over the All out Attack sequence to prevent epileptic seizures.