Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i love my extremely powerful switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What a trip. I went from very interested having no idea what the game is and knowing that it was a thing, to completely disinterested with the comments on a bad Stephen King and now the info on how it runs.

It sounds like a bad Deadly Premonition, and why would I want that?

PageMaster posted:

How is sparks of hope for any fans of the first game? Game reviews seem really good; redditors seem pretty disappointed in the mechanics compared to the first game. I loved the first game but am not a die-hard strategy purist, I just liked having fun exploring, fighting and leveling so"less difficult" isn't take l really a deal breaker for me. I also can only get this or persona 5 this month...

Not to dissuade you or anything, but if you can wait like 2 months Sparks of Hope will be on sale in no time. I'm sure it's good but like Ubisoft drops games on sale like nothing else I've ever seen.

Foul Fowl posted:

short and enticing is neon white in a nutshell, the longest level (not counting bosses) is maybe a minute and a half? and it's got 100 levels. it's a very good game if you like the concept of a time trial at all, the levels are very well designed for you to set your own difficulty. it's also not very long, i got all the platinum medals in like 8 hours maybe? haven't gone back to find all the secrets but if that's something you like i think it's probably really good for that too.

omori is also really, really good but i wouldn't call it short (i think i beat it in around 25 hours). it's horribly depressing and compelling while being really fun to play and having lots of good jokes in there. but also some real gut punches. trigger warnings all around.

I'm not big on time trials, or rather I'm not competitive enough to care, but it just looks neat. People have sold me on Tunic, but this will probably be my indie game after Dread. I need to try Omori too, but maybe not just yet.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Larryb posted:

Anybody try Sparks of Hope yet? I kind of bounced off the first Mario x Rabbids game early on and was curious if this was any better

Picked it up on launch and I'm definitely enjoying it, though I found the beginning a bit weird. Despite it being marketed as different from the first game, it feels like you're heavily expected to have played the first game with how quickly they drop you into the meat of the mechanics.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SL the Pyro posted:

Picked it up on launch and I'm definitely enjoying it, though I found the beginning a bit weird. Despite it being marketed as different from the first game, it feels like you're heavily expected to have played the first game with how quickly they drop you into the meat of the mechanics.

Any notable gameplay improvements you can see (for example, I heard somewhere you no longer have limited movement in this game)?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Larryb posted:

Any notable gameplay improvements you can see (for example, I heard somewhere you no longer have limited movement in this game)?

Movement is a lot better. The maps are still built isometric grid-style, but the movement is free-range within a circle, and the only time a character has to stop moving is after they've used their weapon. You can freely and safely run two people out for a Team Jump to extend movement range and still get both back into cover, for example.

Hot tip: if the movement range says you can move behind cover but there's not enough movement circle to go around it, it means you can vault over half-cover to go there.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 20, 2022

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What a trip. I went from very interested having no idea what the game is and knowing that it was a thing, to completely disinterested with the comments on a bad Stephen King and now the info on how it runs.

It sounds like a bad Deadly Premonition, and why would I want that?

I'm a little disappointed with the graphics and issues, now that I've seen some reviews. I mentioned Stephen King because the game fanboys on him right from the start. It's not a terrible game to play, just better on PC :sigh:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yoshi's crafted world has a playable demo, and it worked! I bought it based on the level I got to play. All games should have playable demos.

It's fun and low stakes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I guess the question is then, how does it play? Like I genuinely have no idea what sort of game it is.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm coming up on the one-year anniversary of my first full time job in my entire life, so I got myself Persona 5 as a treat.

I know gently caress-all about the game, except that the main character is in Smash and he's called Joker. So, I had a brilliant(?) idea for naming him when I play the game. I'll name him after The Joker from Batman!

Problem is there are a bunch of Jokers! I really should have known better... Now I'll have to pick which one! Leaning towards Alfred Stryker at the moment, cuz there's that spinoff game already on the Switch called Strikers, but Jack Napier (Jack Nicholson's Joker) is also a strong contender!

I just finished Persona 4 on PC this year, and every time I would bitch to my friend who got it for me about the poo poo about it that annoys me, I'd be met with "Yeah, that gets fixed in Persona 5." So I am ready to be amazed. Expectations are high, high I tell you!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 20, 2022

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Persona 5, like the Switch

is good, OP

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Larryb posted:

About the same as every other Yoshi platformer ever made

If that were true I'd love them all as much as Yoshi's Island and we know that's not the case.

(timing and all but i was supposed to be asking about Alan Wake)

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
There's a fair argument to be made that Yoshi's Story has been far more of a template than Yoshi's Island for Yoshi games, and that's a drat shame. Yoshi's Story is really not a good game and its influence on the character and later games is kind of shocking.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the switch is the most powerful console that has ever existed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If that were true I'd love them all as much as Yoshi's Island and we know that's not the case.

(timing and all but i was supposed to be asking about Alan Wake)

Ah, your post was right under one about Yoshi’s Crafted World so you probably should have been more specific. Nevermind then

That said I do agree there’s never been a sequel so far that’s been quite up to par with the original Yoshi’s Island (I admittedly kind of liked Wooly World though)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 20, 2022

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Larryb posted:

That said I do agree there’s never been a sequel so far that’s been quite up to par with the original Yoshi’s Island (I admittedly kind of liked Wooly World though)

Even Yoshi's New Island was a bit of a let down. Can't say I've ever gone back to play that game

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I guess the question is then, how does it play? Like I genuinely have no idea what sort of game it is.

It's Silent Hill 2, with better controls and mediocre writing. All the enemies are possessed by evil shadows, so you have to blast them with your flashlight before shooting them with your gun. The story is told like a TV show, with credits at the end of a level and a "Previously On..." to start the next. I like that, because the songs are all good and change each level, and the recap is a little reminder on the important story bits.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Waffle! posted:

It's Silent Hill 2, with better controls and mediocre writing. All the enemies are possessed by evil shadows, so you have to blast them with your flashlight before shooting them with your gun. The story is told like a TV show, with credits at the end of a level and a "Previously On..." to start the next. I like that, because the songs are all good and change each level, and the recap is a little reminder on the important story bits.

Hmm, hmm. Yes. Follow-up question: Does it have a mod similar to this one?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Scholtz posted:

Hmm, hmm. Yes. Follow-up question: Does it have a mod similar to this one?

rofl

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Manoueverable posted:

There's a fair argument to be made that Yoshi's Story has been far more of a template than Yoshi's Island for Yoshi games, and that's a drat shame. Yoshi's Story is really not a good game and its influence on the character and later games is kind of shocking.

I remember loving Yoshi's Island when i got it. And renting Yoshi's story was just such a huge disappointment. I can't believe they released it the way it is. I know replayability is a big part of it and all. But even that just leaves so little to the game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sigher posted:

I'm surprised a PS4 title looks that bad. lmao

you clearly don't remember what most ps3 games actually looked like

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/ThylaStudios/status/1583113558598246402

If you want a Pokemon-esque dungeon crawler that is a massive time sink with tons of various mechanics and customizables, this is one to watch out for. Sunk over a hundred hours on this between Steam and mobile, game owns.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Yoshi's Island is the GOAT and every Yoshi game afterward has been complete poo poo in comparison

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Yoshi's Island is the GOAT and every Yoshi game afterward has been complete poo poo in comparison

:hmmyes:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm enjoying Sparks of Hope. I like how it kind of pretends "You already know all these characters and this world, they've been great friends for years". Like even if you played the first one there's a lot of new stuff and it's fairly in media res.

The menus are confusing at first.

Unlike the first game basically any combo of three characters is viable. You might think you need a healer but you don't really. You can do cautious and slow so you don't give the enemies an opportunity to hit, you can go full out offense and kill them fast enough so they don't get the chance, you can play the middle ground and use a healer to just kind of take it easy.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's one of the most beautiful games ever made. absolutely stunning even today.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shame isn't it?

Augus posted:

you clearly don't remember what most ps3 games actually looked like

Nope, it's an early PS4 title and it looks bad.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It came out four years after launch, That’s not early at all!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

sigher posted:

Makes sense, I'm surprised about the texture quality because I don't remember the game having the most insane textures or anything.

I'm surprised a PS4 title looks that bad. lmao

the game looks great. wtf are u on about mate

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

sigher posted:

Shame isn't it?

Nope, it's an early PS4 title and it looks bad.

are you thinking about another game? nier: automata looks fantastic, and it's not early

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

An Actual Princess posted:

i love my extremely powerful switch

Im ok with my medium powered nintendo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

If you've not preordered Pokemon Scarlet or Violet yet, Amazon currently has them for $48AUD.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

48 dollary-doos is only 30 dollars, and we don't even get a discount! :argh:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
wait until u find out that the two game voucher thing still exists in every single other region but the us

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

C'mon Stux I didn't even remember that was a thing, why did you have to remind me?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's hosed that they discontinued it here. Like why.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waffle! posted:

This is a good description. I will say that the story is intriguing but not groundbreaking or anything. The environments are cool but not particularly scary, all the enemy sequences are telegraphed. The combat is fine, hard mode is a good challenge.

Alan is constantly overshadowed by the supporting characters who are better in every way, like his agent who is amazing and the two old guys who have a metal band. There’s an absolutely incredible sequence involving the metal guys, probably the most memorable moment in the game. It’s worth playing, I think, if you enjoy the horror/suspense genre but aren’t bothered by the fact that it isn’t really spooky at all.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

An Actual Princess posted:

nier: automata looks fantastic, and it's not early

Oh it's not early? That makes it worse. lmao

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1583262807692570625?s=46&t=MVCF8qq6cxWquKsSBEwr1g

Get ready to break your control stick again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh two at once that’s good. Maybe we can get through this batch quickly