Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

:laffo: at Criterion selling $35 Animation and Sci-Fi shirts despite only having like four of the former in the collection and half of the 30+ in the latter not existing prior to the release of the Godzilla set.

Like, those two and Horror are easily the collection’s biggest blind spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

We didn’t buy enough shirts :(

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
those genre shirts. just... wat?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

criterion getting less awesome in the last few years; arrow, severin, indicator, and vinegar syndrom getting more awesome.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

criterion getting less awesome in the last few years; arrow, severin, indicator, and vinegar syndrom getting more awesome.

Good tradeoff imo

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I've always felt my boutique Blu Ray printers should be 20% more evil.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Good tradeoff imo

:same:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Lost Highway loving slaps.

The insert of the case arrived cracked but because I'm in Australia, Criterion won't even reply to emails let alone entertain the though of a replacement. It's just the top part of the disc holder, so if I put the 4K disc in the bottom insert (which isn't cracked) the regular blu should survive if there's any scratches or junk right?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

Lost Highway loving slaps.

The insert of the case arrived cracked but because I'm in Australia, Criterion won't even reply to emails let alone entertain the though of a replacement. It's just the top part of the disc holder, so if I put the 4K disc in the bottom insert (which isn't cracked) the regular blu should survive if there's any scratches or junk right?

It's pretty hard to scratch a blu ray tbf

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's pretty hard to scratch a blu ray tbf

I thought I remembered reading that UHDs were more susceptible to scratches though

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FWIW, they had layoffs in 2013 as well and this is from a staff of about 80, which is absolutely an exception to how boutique labels are run. Compare to Kino Lorber, which I think is less than a dozen full time employees. The playing field is so wide now, too.

Probably doesn't help that the pandemic made a lot of people less financially safe and even production of discs has been a headache. Whether it's actual manufacturing delays or having to settle for recorded Zoom conferences. Criterion is also approaching 1200 releases on digital disc. Combined with all the other labels, there's only so much they can release.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

I thought I remembered reading that UHDs were more susceptible to scratches though

hmm, that very well could be, i haven't looked into that specifically.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
UHDs are somewhere between regular blus and DVDs in terms of scratches. IIRC it’s something to do with how 4Ks are read that means they can’t have the same scratch-proofing as blus.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Sources report the staff were given t-shirts that read "Unemployed"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cacator posted:

Sources report the staff were given t-shirts that read "Unemployed"

:wow:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
UK releases for Jan are Munchausen and Breakfast Club which are good popularity choices but not especially exciting ones

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

So more like

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

UK releases for Jan are Munchausen and Breakfast Club which are good popularity choices but not especially exciting ones

If I just laid off staff I'd be looking for layups that make money too.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

But I thought easy big money to support operations was why they took disney’s money to release WALL-E????

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

But I thought easy big money to support operations was why they took disney’s money to release WALL-E????

Now it's why they have a $35 plain white shirt that says SCREWBALL on it

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I finally got around to watching the Raging Bull 4k and goddamn that might be the best looking 4k disc I own. It looks incredible. Black and white with HDR really is the best.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Jan announcements:

Baron Munchausen (4K)
Imitation of Life (1934, not the Sirk)
Lars von Trier’s Europe Trilogy
This Is Not a Burial, It’s a Resurrection
Bergman Island

Pretty awkward timing on the Munchausen release given it’s not been that long since Sarah Polley came out with her stories about the awful set.

https://twitter.com/realsarahpolley/status/1586483511342796803?s=20&t=QvRDLp6Kl0__zWtU3Dk1_w
https://twitter.com/realsarahpolley/status/1586483512906944512

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They got any good German movies?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gripweed posted:

It's quite easy to filter by country. Here's the German stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TychoCelchuuu posted:

It's quite easy to filter by country. Here's the German stuff.

I didn't ask if they had any German movies.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Gripweed posted:

I didn't ask if they had any German movies.

mmk

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul is one of my favs in general, let alone Fassbinder.

It's not a horror movie

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Have you heard the good news about Michael Haneke? The Channel has Funny Games and Seventh Continent. Funny Games is available on Blu-Ray now and Seventh Continent will be available as part of a box set shortly. He's also made some French movies that are very good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've heard a guy say that Haneke makes movies about how you shouldn't watch movies

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are Fassbinders

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I've heard a guy say that Haneke makes movies about how you shouldn't watch movies

I skipped most of Haneke's lectures and still passed the class

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gripweed posted:

was it will menaker

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Mantis42 posted:

was it will menaker

Either him or Felix, I can't recall

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Gripweed posted:

You'll have to ask Steven Soderbergh

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The B&N sale has started:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/the-criterion-collection/_/N-1p0i

Some pre-orders are eligible too. No word on how long it lasts.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Action Jacktion posted:

The B&N sale has started:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/the-criterion-collection/_/N-1p0i

Some pre-orders are eligible too. No word on how long it lasts.

It goes through the 28th.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Normally, all releases with street dates during the sale are discounted, in addition to all in-print/in-stock DVDs, Blu-rays, and UHDs.

In lieu of a recommendations list, here's stuff you probably should hold off on with very likely 2023 or 2024 Blu-ray remasters or UHD upgrades:

The 400 Blows + Antoine Donel films - French UHD set already out, very likely coming
Three Colors Trilogy/The Double Life of Veronique - French UHD set already out, already touring theatrically
The Last Emperor - One of their first Blu-rays, Arrow has 4K restoration coming next year and likely coming from Criterion or Cohen soon.
Gojira - New 4K restoration currently touring theatrically, likely coming in 2024.
Videodrome - Arrow UK UHD just released, obvious 40th anniversary release
Naked Lunch - New Arrow UK UHD in the works, also likely to get upgraded by Criterion.
The Seventh Seal - BFI UK UHD already out, seems like an obvious one
Brand Upon the Brain! - DVD-only right now, but Guy Maddin confirmed a Blu upgrade is coming.
The Rules of the Game - French UHD recently out from new restoration.
The Leopard - Blu uses ancient early 2000s HD master, 4K restoration yet to be released outside Italy
The Wages of Fear - Newer 4K restoration exists with longer cut, very old disc and master.
Wings of Desire - 4K restoration has been touring recently, apparently.
8 1/2 - 4K restoration included in Essential Fellini box, seems obvious
Breathless - 4K restoration on UHD in UK and France already, seems obvious
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - 4K restoration on Blu from Arrow UK, seems obvious
Beauty and the Beast - 4K restoration on Blu in France and UK, seems obvious
Dr. Strangelove - Sony UHD has all on-disc extras carried over, only missing out on the clever packaging.
Brazil - New 4K restoration recently completed, seems obvious
Watership Down - UK UHD coming soon, likely to be upgraded
Bicycle Thieves - Newer 4K restoration from camera negative (vs Criterion's 2K restoration from dupe negative) out in UK already.

Also, these all have Kino Lorber UHDs already out or coming in 2023:

Some Like It Hot - Seems to have better extras overall, same restoration
The Great Escape - Most extras produced by MGM anyways, carried over, same restoration
Dressed to Kill - Just released, all MGM-produced extras carried over plus a new commentary
In the Heat of the Night - Some extras included, plus a Blu disc of the two sequels in HD.
The Killing/Killer's Kiss - New restoration with exclusive commentaries.
Paths of Glory - Vastly superior restoration, new commentary.
The Silence of the Lambs - Lots of extras carried over, but many prefer Criterion for color grading.
The Manchurian Candidate - Coming soon.
12 Angry Men - Coming soon.
The Night of the Hunter - Coming soon, will likely have same extras as UK Arrow.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Egbert Souse posted:

Normally, all releases with street dates during the sale are discounted, in addition to all in-print/in-stock DVDs, Blu-rays, and UHDs.

In lieu of a recommendations list, here's stuff you probably should hold off on with very likely 2023 or 2024 Blu-ray remasters or UHD upgrades:

The 400 Blows + Antoine Donel films - French UHD set already out, very likely coming
Three Colors Trilogy/The Double Life of Veronique - French UHD set already out, already touring theatrically
The Last Emperor - One of their first Blu-rays, Arrow has 4K restoration coming next year and likely coming from Criterion or Cohen soon.
Gojira - New 4K restoration currently touring theatrically, likely coming in 2024.
Videodrome - Arrow UK UHD just released, obvious 40th anniversary release
Naked Lunch - New Arrow UK UHD in the works, also likely to get upgraded by Criterion.
The Seventh Seal - BFI UK UHD already out, seems like an obvious one
Brand Upon the Brain! - DVD-only right now, but Guy Maddin confirmed a Blu upgrade is coming.
The Rules of the Game - French UHD recently out from new restoration.
The Leopard - Blu uses ancient early 2000s HD master, 4K restoration yet to be released outside Italy
The Wages of Fear - Newer 4K restoration exists with longer cut, very old disc and master.
Wings of Desire - 4K restoration has been touring recently, apparently.
8 1/2 - 4K restoration included in Essential Fellini box, seems obvious
Breathless - 4K restoration on UHD in UK and France already, seems obvious
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - 4K restoration on Blu from Arrow UK, seems obvious
Beauty and the Beast - 4K restoration on Blu in France and UK, seems obvious
Dr. Strangelove - Sony UHD has all on-disc extras carried over, only missing out on the clever packaging.
Brazil - New 4K restoration recently completed, seems obvious
Watership Down - UK UHD coming soon, likely to be upgraded
Bicycle Thieves - Newer 4K restoration from camera negative (vs Criterion's 2K restoration from dupe negative) out in UK already.

Also, these all have Kino Lorber UHDs already out or coming in 2023:

Some Like It Hot - Seems to have better extras overall, same restoration
The Great Escape - Most extras produced by MGM anyways, carried over, same restoration
Dressed to Kill - Just released, all MGM-produced extras carried over plus a new commentary
In the Heat of the Night - Some extras included, plus a Blu disc of the two sequels in HD.
The Killing/Killer's Kiss - New restoration with exclusive commentaries.
Paths of Glory - Vastly superior restoration, new commentary.
The Silence of the Lambs - Lots of extras carried over, but many prefer Criterion for color grading.
The Manchurian Candidate - Coming soon.
12 Angry Men - Coming soon.
The Night of the Hunter - Coming soon, will likely have same extras as UK Arrow.

This is a good post, thank you

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Please don't watch Dressed to Kill.

Like, it's one of the few movies where I will never give it a second chance.

First off, I don't know if I would describe it as transphobic, but it definitely plays into a lot of harmful stereotypes. There's a strange scene where two characters talk about transitioning, and it feels very much like someone who was interested in transgender people, but didn't really understand who they were. Even though I don't think the movie intends to be hateful, that doesn't mean it is not hurtful. I'm not going to make the final call on that, but the psychobabble is just... very cringe.

But even as a film - it's pretty bad. The pacing is off. It doesn't know when or how to end. Pretty much, every interesting trick it has, Blow Out does 10 times better.

A must miss.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Brazil is one of my first Criterions and definitely my most watched, so I'd upgrade that one to a UHD in a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Please don't watch Dressed to Kill.

Like, it's one of the few movies where I will never give it a second chance.

First off, I don't know if I would describe it as transphobic, but it definitely plays into a lot of harmful stereotypes. There's a strange scene where two characters talk about transitioning, and it feels very much like someone who was interested in transgender people, but didn't really understand who they were. Even though I don't think the movie intends to be hateful, that doesn't mean it is not hurtful. I'm not going to make the final call on that, but the psychobabble is just... very cringe.

But even as a film - it's pretty bad. The pacing is off. It doesn't know when or how to end. Pretty much, every interesting trick it has, Blow Out does 10 times better.

A must miss.
I think it's pretty good.