Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

limp_cheese posted:

I've said it before and will keep ssying it. This show does gruesome violence so well and somehow makes it funny.

Which makes it weird how Family Guy does the same thing but there it just is gross and offputting rather than funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
When it comes to the violence on this show for me I think part of it is the makers of this show are very skilled at knowing what to show, when to show it, how long to show it, and exactly how detailed it should be. Like in recent memory Jeff's broken legs going unattended to might be more uncomfortable but they're so cartoonishly exaggerated that the absurdity of "how could that have happened" is heavier than the focus on Jeff's pain.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Steve was also the only character who's design radically changed as well.

Uh, also the house used to look weird as poo poo!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
No episode tonight. Stupid baseball.

https://twitter.com/americandadtbs/status/1579660407228477440?s=46&t=3MIQKE5D7lBTDpPSsg7_pQ

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Nep-Nep posted:

When it comes to the violence on this show for me I think part of it is the makers of this show are very skilled at knowing what to show, when to show it, how long to show it, and exactly how detailed it should be. Like in recent memory Jeff's broken legs going unattended to might be more uncomfortable but they're so cartoonishly exaggerated that the absurdity of "how could that have happened" is heavier than the focus on Jeff's pain.

Aaron Sorkin's follow-up to The West Wing was Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip which eventually lost the "SNL behind-the-scenes" show battle to 30 Rock. One bit the did on Studio was about a skit on their show called "Quentin Tarantino's Thanksgiving Turkey Won't Die." In the skit people are supposed to stab and cut the turkey and it would shoot out geysers of blood. However, their FX person didn't get the memo, so the "turkey" just bled in a normal way. So instead of the over-the-top hilarity of the Tarantino Turkey, what they got was just some incredibly disturbing bit of the actors effectively torturing/mutilating the turkey in the skit.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

As much as I want to see baseball, I want to see American Dad more. Is it possible that they'll put the new episode on if the game gets rained out? :ohdear:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So my dreams have come true and American Dad now has a Japanese dub, but it's only on Japan's Disney+ and I don't even have regular Disney+.
Now I wonder if there is such a thing as, like, nyaa(dot)si but in reverse?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neeksy posted:

So my dreams have come true and American Dad now has a Japanese dub, but it's only on Japan's Disney+ and I don't even have regular Disney+.

Man, what I wouldn't give to have someone with more knowledge about Japanese culture do an in depth explanation on which voice actors they picked for each character and why.

Someone please tell me who's voicing Francine at least!

Edit:

Also, I think with a VPN you can get access to all sort of streaming services in other countries, you could subscribe to Japanese Disney+ and then unsubscribe after you watched all the American Dad episodes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neeksy posted:

I desire to know the Toshi joke.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Man, what I wouldn't give to have someone with more knowledge about Japanese culture do an in depth explanation on which voice actors they picked for each character and why.

Someone please tell me who's voicing Francine at least!

Edit:

Also, I think with a VPN you can get access to all sort of streaming services in other countries, you could subscribe to Japanese Disney+ and then unsubscribe after you watched all the American Dad episodes.

I'd rather someone smarter than me just rip the eps and put them in a torrent, because I really really really don't want to have to sign up for Disney+ even to do just that. Plus having the episodes on computer means never having to worry about them being unexisted for tax writeoffs.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The_Doctor posted:

I desire to know the Toshi joke.

I'm guessing probably either have him speak another language entirely, or have him speak in a specific dialect of Japanese that they can mine humor from(like have him speak in really archaic Japanese like something a Samurai would have use back in the 19th century or earlier)

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Upon further investigation, they're lazing out and just doing subtitles with no dubbing or anything, which sucks.
I'm curious about how they'd translate things, but without the voices it's less interesting for me as a process to sit through or think about as I translate in my head.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As someone who lives in Orlando I can tell the writer of this show has never been here

What they showed was more Daytona than anything

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

As someone who lives in Orlando I can tell the writer of this show has never been here

That motel was 100% Kissimmee.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FlamingLiberal posted:

Or Tampa, despite numerous references to Klaus’s Boys and even visiting on one occasion.

The only thing right is this picture is the airport’s logo. And some of the palm trees.

Hell, the show continually references Souplantation which is what the now defunct chain was called only in California. The Smiths would have known their local branch as Sweet Tomatoes.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Just to forewarn the layman that most large streaming services maintain a list of IP addresses they associate with VPN servers and will refuse to service those addresses. Every now and then we'll get that wonderful refusal screen on Netflix or Hulu and realize that we forgot to turn off our VPN after sailing the seas. You might have more success with a much smaller and lesser-known VPN that hasn't gotten on the radar of the streaming services, however.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Baseball would want you to believe it's the Big Game, but it keeping our new episode from us is very Tiffany's Boyfriend.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I want a giant pretzel

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

drrockso20 posted:

I'm guessing probably either have him speak another language entirely, or have him speak in a specific dialect of Japanese that they can mine humor from(like have him speak in really archaic Japanese like something a Samurai would have use back in the 19th century or earlier)

Talking like a samuarai and of honor would probably fit most of his jokes since most of the time characters pause listen to him then misunderstand it. Maybe he can talk in riddles. You'd have to rewrite the other characters dialog but given how often they go counter to Toshi he's got to be hard to understand. Like a Boomhauer like take would work

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My Francine tag... :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hulu update, they now have the rest of the new episodes and also the next episode "You Are Here" is scheduled to go up before it airs on TBS?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I greatly enjoyed them having Patrick Stewart sing parts of 'Centerfield' in this episode

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neeksy posted:

Upon further investigation, they're lazing out and just doing subtitles with no dubbing or anything, which sucks.
I'm curious about how they'd translate things, but without the voices it's less interesting for me as a process to sit through or think about as I translate in my head.

Probably wanted to avoid the intense American Dad "Sub vs. Dub" wars that would have occurred.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

My Francine tag... :(

Oh nooooooo!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: thank God I tied a string to these Corn Nuts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I know roger told klauss not to do characters, but he did a good job. They should have let him!

I'm watching the episode where haley sings but wasn't there another where she's really good at singing? I remember people commenting on it, possibly even me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this! posted:

Hulu update, they now have the rest of the new episodes and also the next episode "You Are Here" is scheduled to go up before it airs on TBS?

It's even more curious as everything since "The Curious Case of the Old Hole" isn't listed with TBS branding anymore. It's not attributed to any network in the AppleTV app and on the Android mobile app they are listed as Fox Television Classics. I'm pretty drat sure the episode that were listed for this most recent run before had TBS branding on them.

That said, not to read too much into it because episodes even prior to the TBS switchover are listed with the TBS watermark in Hulu. So it could just be Hulu being screwy. That said, something had to change with licensing because I can't imagine they would leave stuff up for long if it was a mistake.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Milo and POTUS posted:

I know roger told klauss not to do characters, but he did a good job. They should have let him!

I'm watching the episode where haley sings but wasn't there another where she's really good at singing? I remember people commenting on it, possibly even me.

Love, AD Style has her getting a job as a singer at Roger's bar.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's the one I meant when I said she sings lol

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's the one I meant when I said she sings lol

Hayley's voice actor is Rachel Mcfarlane, who's a singer in real life and also Seth McFarlene's sister. She played the character of Olivia on Family guy and sang a duet with Stewie, maybe that's what you're thinking of? Different character, but the same-ish voice and good at singing.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
She also had a heavy part in a couple other musical numbers throughout like in LGBSteve

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

She did a good--No, GREAT--no, good job.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Hayley's rap about the sub-hub life taking that dramatic turn.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
She also had two songs in Minstrel Krampus and oh my god I just got that title

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Brawnfire posted:

She did a good--No, GREAT--no, good job.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Best part of that episode is when Roger skins Jeff and then wears his skin.

Good news Jeff! You're getting your skin back!

*Bloody and shaky hand gives a thumbs up*

Gross.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

And done cartoonishly so it's funny. They know where the line is.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The violence plays into so many funny bits. Off the top of my head, Dr. Ray and the leaf blower, or Stan and the nail, or that guy who tripped over the tree root...always gives me a big, throbbing smile.

Oh, the lumberjack pulling the bisected airplane together for a second before his arms get ripped off.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Been sitting here for the last hour and a half with "I killed two teenagers" going through my head

Thanks Brawnfire

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Nep-Nep posted:

She also had two songs in Minstrel Krampus and oh my god I just got that title

oh drat, me too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mx. posted:

Been sitting here for the last hour and a half with "I killed two teenagers" going through my head

Thanks Brawnfire

*chuckles* Don't tell anyone!