Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I recall there are non-zero visual spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm trying to decide if the mental image of (piece introduced in Episode 5) Erika doing what she does in 5 (that is, running around the entire drat mansion with a roll of tape and a Sharpie and sealing dozens of doors and windows) is more or less ridiculous than the mental image of what I'm pretty sure I remember her doing in 6. What a horrible little character, she's the best.

Even without knowing the truth or reading 7 and 8 I'm really enjoying this reread much more than I thought I would. The voice acting and PS3 art adds a ton to the experience, and even though I'm still miles away from really getting it, the later episodes really really hammer in some stuff about the nature of magic that makes it all a lot more interesting on a second pass. I'll probably jump back to 2 once I'm done with 5 and 6, might or might not reread 3 before moving on to 7, and will probably skip rereading 4 entirely - I'm pretty sure it's very important, but the pacing is genuinely dreadful, Sakutaro's theme song is a grating earworm nightmare, and the whole thing is so tragic it's just like resigning myself to feel really sad for fifteen hours.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sure you guys have heard but Ryukushi is writing the newest Silent Hill

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

that's an ahaha.wav if I've ever seen it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't wait for the silent hill bunnygirls

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I literally thought you were joking but holy poo poo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gaius Marius posted:

While cool, I would prefer Ciconia phase 2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I....don't think it's super fair to compare writing the plot to a horror game - even one as story-dense and generally well-written as Silent Hill - with the giant doorstoppers of the WTC series. Let him take a break and work on other stuff while he hones Ciconia 2 to give me time to catch up.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I saw somewhere that dude just needs to get paid cause the WTC ain't bringing in the dosh

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I saw somewhere that dude just needs to get paid cause the WTC ain't bringing in the dosh

i have bought umineko three times

e: not counting gifts

e: oh my loving god how did i miss that it's literally been purgatorio from the divine comedy this whole time. it is not subtle even a little bit at all what the gently caress it outright says it in a few places gently caress

in my meager defense I've never read past Inferno.....................................................

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 20, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

My apologies for the double post - finally really finished Episode 5 (I remembered the epilogue being long, but not THAT long...) and I have thoughts that for once aren't just random wild theories. I'm still probably going to reread 6 - I remember it being comparatively very short - but I think I'm just going to plow on to 7 after that.

Basically, it's all a riddle and a love story and confession to Battler. Even though it's been promised it's solvable, it's meant for Battler. It talks a few times about how riddles are hard for people who aren't the intended audience - hell, one of my favorite scenes is the cheese riddle in Episode 6. So even if it's "solvable" it might border on the impossible for the reader, because it's not meant for them. It's meant for Kinzo's grandson. And theorizing further is just nitpicking and trying to be obsessively clever - like Erika, obviously. She's not smart or engaging with the game honestly, she's an 'intellectual rapist' by her own gleeful admission, and makes a habit of ripping open secrets that should have been politely ignored. Besides - episodes 5 and 6 (I think) make it pretty clear that who the culprit is for each game isn't actually necessarily relevant to whatever the overall purpose of the overall challenge is. Maybe. I'm not sure.

....This might all just be me trying to rationalize moving on without solving much. But still.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yeah when you examine Umineko back and try to just boil it down as simply as you can,

(-)WHOLE UMINEKO SERIES spoilers ahead DO NOT CLICK(-)

It's actually pretty cute. Sayo sends a love letter to Battler. Battler is a little late, but he sends one back. the end!

Summarizing the whole game in one box.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i am going to lose sleep over not clicking that why would you do something like that

e: the very existence of that post allows me, Rockman Reserve, to --gah!!

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 20, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nyoro posted:

Yeah when you examine Umineko back and try to just boil it down as simply as you can,

It's actually pretty cute. Sayo sends a love letter to Battler. Battler is a little late, but he sends one back. the end!

Summarizing the whole game in one box.

Full umineko spoilers

Reminder, George destroyed the letters before battler saw them

Also lmao at Rockman he's gonna be so mad when he realizes

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Full umineko spoilers

Reminder, George destroyed the letters before battler saw them

Also lmao at Rockman he's gonna be so mad when he realizes

Did he, though? The manga doesn't really lend evidence for that theory I think?

You can see George pull out all the letters and give Sayo the empty envelope and there's no real opportunity for him to do any sort of trickery from what we saw

He also freely admits, much later, that he was jealous of Battler and Sayo's relationship when they were younger and seems to, at least, regret being a weird incel then so I don't think George would actually do something like that or had he, he'd probably admit that to her too

I mean, I still don't like him, but that's the vibe I got

I think Battler is just incompetent.

Uminekos alternative message: don't fall in love with a himbo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nyoro posted:

Did he, though? The manga doesn't really lend evidence for that theory I think?

You can see George pull out all the letters and give Sayo the empty envelope and there's no real opportunity for him to do any sort of trickery from what we saw

He also freely admits, much later, that he was jealous of Battler and Sayo's relationship when they were younger and seems to, at least, regret being a weird incel then so I don't think George would actually do something like that or had he, he'd probably admit that to her too

I mean, I still don't like him, but that's the vibe I got

I think Battler is just incompetent.

Uminekos alternative message: don't fall in love with a himbo

I've never read the manga, but the placement of where he talks about the letters seems suspicious otherwise because why would they even mention it if it wasn't important. More importantly we're taught to view motive in Umineko instead of just what we see on screen by Umineko. George is incredibly jealous of Battler and feels stifled by his own inability to talk to girls, by destroying the letters he's effectively denying Battler his own advantage over George and dragging him down to his level, while also in his mind opening up his own opportunity for a relationship with Sayo.

Secondly, While Battleman had a lot of poo poo going on with the death of his mom , his Dad's remarriage to his mom, and moving to his moms household. He's at his core a pretty caring dude, I don't see him not writing back no matter how busy he was with life. Beatrice still judges him for this Sin despite understanding logically that it shouldn't be that big a deal. But consider that Kinzo and Battler are drawn up and compared constantly in the novel. Kinzo himself was also put into a situation outside his own control by his family so the same thing happening to Battler as an echo makes sense to me. And having Beato not actually have anyone to rightfully blame just like Kinzo can't blame anyone for Beatrice Castleagoni's death or Ange can't blame Eva for her own treatment. Everyone is projecting blame onto one person when in reality their tragedy is a culmination of the suffering of many people, and the real crime is their inability to forgive and move on.

Tldr. gently caress George

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I hate all those spoilers and I want to click them so badly but I have Tsubasa stuck in my head and I’m not killing the golden witch in such an underhanded way.

I still feel pretty strongly about my reasoning for moving on to 7 sooner than later, though. But on the other hand, just recontextualizing it like that gives me enough to think about while I’m rereading, anyway.

5 also raises the possibility that a lot of it is, at least initially, a hoax.. But is it Battler’s assertion about the fifth game true, or is he just abusing the rules of the game now that he finally understands them to give a real culprit a method to escape in a way that can’t be countered?

Also

The Truth posted:

Battler is incompetent.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

I've never read the manga, but the placement of where he talks about the letters seems suspicious otherwise because why would they even mention it if it wasn't important. More importantly we're taught to view motive in Umineko instead of just what we see on screen by Umineko. George is incredibly jealous of Battler and feels stifled by his own inability to talk to girls, by destroying the letters he's effectively denying Battler his own advantage over George and dragging him down to his level, while also in his mind opening up his own opportunity for a relationship with Sayo.

It's presented ambiguously, and it's up to you to decide which interpretation is correct. Just like a lot of the rest of 7. (Also because Yasu has absolutely no idea of the truth there.)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Cyouni posted:

It's presented ambiguously, and it's up to you to decide which interpretation is correct. Just like a lot of the rest of 7. (Also because Yasu has absolutely no idea of the truth there.)

I JUST WANT HER TO BE HAPPY

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nyoro posted:

I JUST WANT HER TO BE HAPPY

Don't we all

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I uh..... wait.

(Umineko 1-6)

if Battler and Kanon who's real name is 4-4-8? Yoshiya? are somehow the same person, like different 'humans' or personalities of one 'person', and Kanon and Shannon's love is mutually exclusive, does that mean that this whole thing is somehow a tragic bisexual love triangle or what the gently caress how does anything even work

e: I am wildly disappointed in myself for not seriously considering that much much much sooner, am I kind of close or just trying to forge connections that don't exist

e2: with the above thoughts in mind it kind of makes the central puzzle of episode 6 about being literally stuck hiding in a closet hit way loving different

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 21, 2022

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm paused in the middle of a major turning point in episode 4. I disagree pretty strongly with the narrative on what constitutes a healthy and wise perspective on inter-generational violence; decided I needed to take a break and come back later.

Besides that, something clicked with me today. The secret mastermind is a specific kind of character presented from a metatextual point of view. (Reminder: I already know a fair amount of spoilers for later episodes I haven't read. Trying not to read too many other spoilers that would be new to me. Major spoilers below for episodes 7 and 8, I think?)

The culprit wants to be the protagonist of a dating sim. We don't control her, we watch from the point of view of the secret romance character. It seems like she gets what she wants, but it's actually awful for everyone including herself. Here's my evidence:
  • blank slate at first glance
  • bizarrely intense stakes for the entire cast, revolving around the state of her romance life
  • determined, well-resourced, competent, and powerful when required by the serious plot; completely moe inept in all other circumstances
  • two obvious romance subquests already in progress at the start of the game
  • each romance option explores a different facet of her personality, featuring common date sim personality types quiet and cynical, domestic and hopeful for the future, and tsundere
  • replays events to try different conversation paths
  • willing to ignore or even kill former love interests on a repeat playthrough
  • has played enough times that she sees the other characters as obstacles to be removed
  • knows exactly what to say to make other NPCs do things for her
  • can try to romance all her options on a single playthrough; no one cares or even notices at all. even the reader, at first!
  • secret third romance option you wouldn't even know to look for, which starts from zero interaction
  • secret romance plotline takes place on a whole different scope than the main love interests
  • bad at communication; secret character too distracted to realize he's being romanced
  • has to do weirdly specific and even cruel things at the right times just to even talk to the secret character
  • can still gently caress up the dialog after trapping the secret character alone, and get herself locked out of the ending she wants
  • cannot actually enjoy a full life after the romance; dating sims always end at the marriage day

These are things you wouldn't bat an eye at if this was your avatar in a VN. But they aren't, and that's what makes the culprit so weird and capable of violence. I think that's a neat idea.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

I uh..... wait.

(Umineko 1-6)

if Battler and Kanon who's real name is 4-4-8? Yoshiya? are somehow the same person, like different 'humans' or personalities of one 'person', and Kanon and Shannon's love is mutually exclusive, does that mean that this whole thing is somehow a tragic bisexual love triangle or what the gently caress how does anything even work

e: I am wildly disappointed in myself for not seriously considering that much much much sooner, am I kind of close or just trying to forge connections that don't exist

e2: with the above thoughts in mind it kind of makes the central puzzle of episode 6 about being literally stuck hiding in a closet hit way loving different

I still can't decide if the above is a reasonable interpretation or I'm just seeing a bunch of connections that don't exist out of pareidolia. Like, the whole conversation Jessica and Kanon have in Ep 6 - Kanon: Why do you like me? Wait, sorry, that's an immature thing to ask. Jessica: No, it's fine, any girl would wonder about that. and stuff like that....

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Everyone's silence is making me think I'm either onto something, or entirely crazy and miles off-base.

I don't really understand anything, still, but there's a *lot* of red truth you can cut through by thinking of it that way. That said, maybe I'm grasping at total straws and making up some giant Imagined Dark Souls Tragedy Lore level nonsense.

Like... "You are not Asumu Ushiromiya's son." Or - while this isn't red, because it takes place off the board, "Then 'he', not knowing who he himself was, erased himself...". It creates some issues about people not using other people's names, and Battler and Kanon being different people, and stuff like that - but I feel like even within the confines of the red, there's enough wiggle room with the distinction between "people" and "humans" or however they want to play semantics with it that it's hard to rule out entirely.

e: and the other big one is being unable to say "it was from Asuma Ushiromiya that Battler was born which could just mean as an aspect of someone else's personality, Battler wasn't 'born' from his mother but from his host....?

But I have no idea.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 25, 2022

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

ahaha.wav

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

is that a "she's so close" ahaha" or "she's so dumb" ahaha, i'm dying here

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I am under oath to not post too much of my thoughts, courtesy of the Golden Witch

I'm sorry.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think the solutions rather obvious

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I have to assume I'm close in some respect because it feels like someone would stop my ramblings if I was completely off in the weeds somehow....

Gaius Marius posted:

I think the solutions rather obvious

literally imagining your avatar typing that with that smug expression

e: I'm right somehow, I think? C'mon GM buy back plat so I can bug you about this :(

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 25, 2022

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

I think the only response to that is another ahaha tbh

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

ahaha.wav

Rockman Reserve posted:

I have to assume I'm close in some respect because it feels like someone would stop my ramblings if I was completely off in the weeds somehow....
bernsip.png

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 25, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I hate you all, you're the best.

But I realized I could probably confirm or deny parts of my theory pretty easily without any real spoilers or anything, and did. So there.*

Now I'm just kicking myself for being so loving dumb. Like, good lord. Good lord.

*e: for those wondering I just (probably DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU ARE READING UMINEKO AND AVOIDING MY RAMBLING SPOILERS) checked the Steam tags.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 25, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

I hate you all, you're the best.

*e: for those wondering I just (probably DO NOT CLICK THIS IF YOU ARE READING UMINEKO AND AVOIDING MY RAMBLING SPOILERS) checked the Steam tags.

I was confused, so I checked it. Didn't see anything too out of the ordinary, and then checked closer.

That's funny

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

bernsip.png

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

It's been a long and exhausting day so maybe I'm just loving up my math somehow but in episode 6, when Kyrie is talking to Jessica, why does she keep mentioning her hell lasting 18 years? Didn't Asumu die six years ago, when Battler was like twelve or thirteen?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

It's been a long and exhausting day so maybe I'm just loving up my math somehow but in episode 6, when Kyrie is talking to Jessica, why does she keep mentioning her hell lasting 18 years? Didn't Asumu die six years ago, when Battler was like twelve or thirteen?

She's referring to her child dying 18 years ago. Remember that she and Asumu got pregnant at basically the same time and gave birth at the same time but her child died while Asumu's lived. She feels like it's the reason Rudolf chose Asumu over her. Every time she see's Battler she's reminded about it as well.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 26, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lmao

buddy you just gotta look with love

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nephthys posted:

She's referring to her child dying 18 years ago. Remember that she and Asumu got pregnant at basically the same time and gave birth at the same time but her child died while Asumu's lived. She feels like it's the reason Rudolf chose Asumu over her. Every time she see's Battler she's reminded about it as well.

Yeah, but she said it ended after 18 years and tied it to the death of Asumu, and goes so far as to say she was planning to murder Asumu if she didn't luck out and die. Then she got together with Rudolf pretty much immediately and Battler left.

fez_machine posted:

lmao

buddy you just gotta look with love

grumblegrumblegrumble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

Yeah, but she said it ended after 18 years and tied it to the death of Asumu, and goes so far as to say she was planning to murder Asumu if she didn't luck out and die. Then she got together with Rudolf pretty much immediately and Battler left.

Presumably Rudolf was two-timing her and Asumu for 6 years then and that's what she's referring to. IIRC there was a period where Rudolf was sleeping with a lot of women but Kyrie believed she was his number one girl until Asumu and her got pregnant at the same time and he chose Asumu because her baby lived. Her hell was not being able to have him exclusively.