Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My friend's 5a is failing to send/receive RCS messages when she's on her home wifi, despite having full signal and good data speeds. No issue when she's on mobile or other wifi networks. Ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, you guys make a hard case for the 7 Pro. I think I'm just gonna hold off, I like my 6 Pro just fine.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
TRADE IT IN FOR THE 7 PRO

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
i have pixel 5. 2 years old now (?i think?), and it better last another 2.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/274937/google-highlights-messages-app-updates

Some new updates to the Messages app. I've already got the new icon and it's changed my life. But why are so many icons blue?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Some new updates to the Messages app. I've already got the new icon and it's changed my life. But why are so many icons blue?

Some integration with iMessage? Lol but of course not.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh will my 2fa messages look different?

Wait people use that poo poo for actual chat?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

XIII posted:

My friend's 5a is failing to send/receive RCS messages when she's on her home wifi, despite having full signal and good data speeds. No issue when she's on mobile or other wifi networks. Ideas?

My 5 had a similar issue where it just refuses to send text messages anymore but the problem was the Messages app itself. I've installed Textra and it hasn't been an issue since.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone know if it's possible to continue using home wifi when you're connected to Android Auto wirelessly? When we get in the car we don't have mobile signal and it's not fun not being able to look up where you're going.

Thanks goons!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone know if it's possible to continue using home wifi when you're connected to Android Auto wirelessly? When we get in the car we don't have mobile signal and it's not fun not being able to look up where you're going.

Thanks goons!

I'm not sure about your question, but Google maps has a download feature where you can draw a big square around a map and save it to your phone. They aren't particularly big files and persist a year without redrawing them.

I used to do this when I worked for FedEx and would be working in areas without network coverage. You still get turn by turn navigation, but don't get traffic alerts, naturally.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Internet Explorer posted:

Thanks goons!

Much to my frustration, yes. Ours bleeds out to the street in front of our house so until I'm at least half a block away it's trying to desperately hang onto the weak signal instead of flipping to data.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Upgrading from the 6 Pro to the 7 Pro made me realize how much the fingerprint reader actually bothered me. Thanks to face unlock, which works far better than I expected it to, I have to use the reader way less than before and the times I do it's more reliable than the 6's was as well. I really hope that feature makes it to older devices as well, it makes the phone a lot nicer to use in my opinion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

I'm not sure about your question, but Google maps has a download feature where you can draw a big square around a map and save it to your phone. They aren't particularly big files and persist a year without redrawing them.

I used to do this when I worked for FedEx and would be working in areas without network coverage. You still get turn by turn navigation, but don't get traffic alerts, naturally.

This is a great tip and living somewhere where we are out of signal a lot we have maps downloaded. I was being overly brief and meant for other purposes as well.

couldcareless posted:

Much to my frustration, yes. Ours bleeds out to the street in front of our house so until I'm at least half a block away it's trying to desperately hang onto the weak signal instead of flipping to data.

That's what I thought. I'm thinking it might be a setting on my wife's phone. I upgraded to a Pixel 7 Pro and was having trouble connecting to Android Auto wireless. Guess I have some more testing to do! But thanks for confirming that it's possible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only phones I've had that I've seen do it are my Pixel 6 Pro and then 7 Pro.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Here We Go maps allows download of entire countries, I've found it handy in the past. Successor to Nokia Maps from the Windows Phone days.

Whatever happened to Nokia's Android phones?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Oh will my 2fa messages look different?

Wait people use that poo poo for actual chat?

Using SMS generally for actual chat?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Here We Go maps allows download of entire countries, I've found it handy in the past. Successor to Nokia Maps from the Windows Phone days.

they were good but the market was insanely crowded at the time and people wanted leather and carbon fiber on their phones instead of brightly colored polycarbonate iirc

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Wait, you can star messages in the Messages app? Wow! I wish I knew about this a long time ago.

Which is stupid for me because I've held down a message to select/copy it a thousand times and never thought about what the star that pops up would do.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Incessant Excess posted:

Upgrading from the 6 Pro to the 7 Pro made me realize how much the fingerprint reader actually bothered me. Thanks to face unlock, which works far better than I expected it to, I have to use the reader way less than before and the times I do it's more reliable than the 6's was as well. I really hope that feature makes it to older devices as well, it makes the phone a lot nicer to use in my opinion.
sometimes the face unlock makes me mad because it will happen when i'm trying to do fingerprint unlock at the register then it tells me that i have to use fingerprint unlock to pay, i was trying to you jerk!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Don't Ask posted:

Managed to get a weird effect when playing around with magic erase on my wife's P6. I was trying to see how it would handle erasing the open middle of the heart balloon and this is the result. I think it took the pattern from the dress but I'm not really sure, and I certainly didn't mark out a perfect rectangle.

Anyway, no real point to this post, just sharing something kinda interesting.

No ring?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Forgive this small dumb question, but what’s the safest way to back all the text messages/content of a samsung galaxy up to a computer? I did try googling but it was two straight pages of bot-written “this is best app list for downloading a messages: app with 2 stars that hasn’t worked since 2019, app with malware.exe bonus, app that says freemium but actually wants $20 to do the thing the app is for”, etc.

It’s very important it’s safe, I can’t risk somehow wiping anything.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

coolusername posted:

Forgive this small dumb question, but what’s the safest way to back all the text messages/content of a samsung galaxy up to a computer? I did try googling but it was two straight pages of bot-written “this is best app list for downloading a messages: app with 2 stars that hasn’t worked since 2019, app with malware.exe bonus, app that says freemium but actually wants $20 to do the thing the app is for”, etc.

It’s very important it’s safe, I can’t risk somehow wiping anything.

One way to do it is you can go to "Backup Data (Samsung Cloud)" -> select Messages.

This will backup your messages to Samsung Cloud and allow you to download them to a different Galaxy phone. No idea if you can actually access them through a computer to view, but every time I've switched phones the messages have restored with no issues.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just popping in here to vouch for "aramid fiber" cases. Got one for my 7 Pro and Fold 4...so much grip and super thin. I took a risk on the Amazon (Prime but no reviews) hoping it was the same quality as the Samsung Aramid Fiber case. Both came in a similar black box, so it's likely the exact same manufacturing line as Samsung's older cases (and Latercase...).

Yeah I overpaid on Amazon vs Aliexpress but not having to wait 10 years for delivery was easily worth the markup.

I tried both phones naked and there is no effing way that would work. I wouldn't last a week before dropping them on hard concrete.

I have zero affiliation with any of this, but here's the links:

P7P
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BHRXVL5C

Fold 4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7J8NYPJ

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

hotsauce posted:

Just popping in here to vouch for "aramid fiber" cases.
I tried both phones naked and there is no effing way that would work. I wouldn't last a week before dropping them on hard concrete.

I've looked into these as well for my P7P as I find it borderline even with a Spigen Thin Fit. Am I right in assuming those aramid fiber cases offer protection against scratches but none against shattering from drops?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Incessant Excess posted:

I've looked into these as well for my P7P as I find it borderline even with a Spigen Thin Fit. Am I right in assuming those aramid fiber cases offer protection against scratches but none against shattering from drops?

I'm not sure, but I think the Spigen Liquid Air is thinner than the thin fit. I have one on my P6 and it's very slim but grippy, and claims to offer some drop protection.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not sure, but I think the Spigen Liquid Air is thinner than the thin fit.

The thin fit is Spigen's thinnest case according to their website.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Incessant Excess posted:

The thin fit is Spigen's thinnest case according to their website.

I could be wrong - it's hard to gauge just from looking at pictures.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Oh if you drop it with the aramid case on, you are equally as hosed as if it were naked. This thing is scratch protection only, for sure. The reason I like it isn't for durability or drop protection, I like it just for the grippy texture so I don't drop it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What's the best procedure nowadays before a wipe/restore these days, make sure it's all ready and to take care of all the stuff Google doesn't?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I switched to the P7P from a Nokia 8. I switched to that from the flagship Samsung at that time, because that was way too fragile and broke into a million pieces all the time.

Compared to that, the Nokia was a LOT sturdier. I had it for like 3 years and in all that time it only got a small scratch. Bad points were rather terrible battery life, and the Bluetooth was incompatible with a lot of stuff.

So because the battery had become even flakier the last 6 months or so, I got a P7P. Really happy with the battery life now and the Bluetooth is MUCH better. Connects happily to my car and I even got the ol' Fitbit back out. Neither worked with the Nokia BT.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Finally, the review by the writer I always wait for before making a phone decision

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/pixel-7-pro-review-google-makes-refinements-to-the-best-android-phone/

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Can you still switch the 7 Pro to classic three-button navbar?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

MikeJF posted:

Yes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MikeJF posted:

I can't imagine them ever getting rid of the option. I'm sure there are people out there who physically cannot do swipes. Might eventually fall under Accessibility Options.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Am I crazy, or did my old Pixel 3 have a two-button navigation option? (Back and Home, swipe up on home for the app switcher)

I'm not big on gesture nav, but I've had to start relearing the button nav again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The two button version had a brief appearance but was deprecated on newer devices.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

PitViper posted:

Am I crazy, or did my old Pixel 3 have a two-button navigation option? (Back and Home, swipe up on home for the app switcher)

I'm not big on gesture nav, but I've had to start relearing the button nav again.

Yes it did and it was horrible in my view. The gestures are so much more reliable than they used to be, I was a 3 button 4 ever guy until the Pixel 6 and it just feels natural now.

E:f,b.

My Pixel 7 Google Play Services is still on July, it was September on my Pixel 6. Checking for updates does nothing. Halp!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My Pixel 7 Google Play Services is still on July, it was September on my Pixel 6. Checking for updates does nothing. Halp!

As far as I can tell, they all are. Gonna guess things will sync up again after the November update.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

speaking of swipe vs three button navigation, how do people handle the swipe overriding gestures in let's say a reading app

i migrated from an iPhone to a Fold 4 and i initially tried the swipe as it felt closer to the iPhone setup. but the edge swipe thing drove me nuts as it worked fine for most apps but for a couple apps e.g., reading, the swipe would override the page flipping gestures and exit the ebook i was reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

shrike82 posted:

speaking of swipe vs three button navigation, how do people handle the swipe overriding gestures in let's say a reading app

i migrated from an iPhone to a Fold 4 and i initially tried the swipe as it felt closer to the iPhone setup. but the edge swipe thing drove me nuts as it worked fine for most apps but for a couple apps e.g., reading, the swipe would override the page flipping gestures and exit the ebook i was reading

Try to start further from the edge. Also most reading apps support tap to flip I think.