Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

BadOptics posted:

We'll see. I bought their Roman period game (it was so good I can't even remember it's name!) with a bunch of buddies and welp! I do hope it works out though!

its really amusing that the game's development ended just as johann's goofs were all fixed and created a baseline game that could have been expanded further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If you're not able to get into heated debates about the US Civil War do you really care about politics in the first place.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
The most important thing about the Civil War is that it wasn't necessary because industrialization would have to caused the South to give up slavery anyway. All boomer dads know this.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BadOptics posted:

I've heard the toughest/2nd toughest are pretty challenging, but I'm a baby who plays on normal.

I'll wait until 3 years from now so I can get it on sale and the mechanics will be radically different but for the better (looking at you Stellaris).

Edit: Stellaris had the whole "let's just reduce micro by simplifying management" with sectors (Victoria with war), and surprisingly, the AI is dumb as hell and sectors are now a vestigial part that awkwardly are created so you can put more governors on your planets.

i think the big difference with sectors is that they were supposed to be the AI playing the same optimization game as the player, except they're way loving worse at it. vicky war is designed to never really interact with the player so i suspect it'll be less awful an idea

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

vicky war is designed to never really interact with the player so i suspect it'll be less awful an idea

Looking at the dev playthroughs on youtube, the player still has quiet a bit of control over the way things go during war. Almost like a super simple HoI battleplan where you just tell them to attack or not.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the latest update for CK3 made it so the AI actually knows how to upgrade and consolidate their holdings effectively, and it seems to work.

so some people at Paradox know what they're doing.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah Stellaris AI also got some nice updates recently, reasonably skilled even on Ensign, at least when it comes to building up their planets. I actually have to bump up the endgame crisis strength otherwise it'll get stomped.

This is very impressive that the base-line AI can finally play competently, especially given that Stellaris must have only just come out. Now excuse me while I take a big sip of tea-

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lostconfused posted:

Looking at the dev playthroughs on youtube, the player still has quiet a bit of control over the way things go during war. Almost like a super simple HoI battleplan where you just tell them to attack or not.

yeah, what i mean is that unlike even HOI where youve got all these little armies moving on the map but you let the AI control most of them, here it just abstracts it all away so you dont end up with the AI doing insanely stupid poo poo like leaving holes in the line

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The ideal thing with Vicky 3 war would be that the player has to fight the internal forces in control of their own military rather than bait the AI into attacking mountain trenches. I'm not sure that they've cracked that exactly, but I have played too much of Paradox's war system to really care about doing the same micro again.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's a little too abstract and simple for something like Vicky 3 but I kind of liked how Ozymandias' power system worked. Great for the quick gameplay it was using. Your military is just a vague abstract force and you bring it to a "point" with armies and navies who push out over time and take territory in places where they're unchallenged or stronger. So the focus is less on just doomstacking armies and more on using money and research to up your tech and logistics.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

It had the potential to be great, it breaks my heart. They had to pull the team to salvage the other cockups.

Also, Wiz had to fix Johan’s work and almost redo the game. It was coming along and I think shows an understanding of pops and economy that could be good signs for Vicky.

Everything Johan touches needs a whole team of people to fix later and still doesn't live up to its potential yet he's got iron job security.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think the one thing I like about Victoria 3 right now is that war is just called diplomatic play.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lostconfused posted:

I think the one thing I like about Victoria 3 right now is that war is just called diplomatic play.

you know, diplomacy by other means

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Victoria 3 will finally settle the question of whether Ukrainian is a separate ethnicity

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

Everything Johan touches needs a whole team of people to fix later and still doesn't live up to its potential yet he's got iron job security.

He also seems kind surly, and is definitely not for everyone interpersonally, so I’m not seeing the upside from their perspective

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Victoria 3 will finally settle the question of whether Ukrainian is a separate ethnicity

Nah it's obviously about settling the matter between reform or revolution in achieving Communism.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

He also seems kind surly, and is definitely not for everyone interpersonally, so I’m not seeing the upside from their perspective

He's an old hand at the company, one of the classic incompetent boob backstories.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It always is, and in Vicky 3 Ukraine gets Crimea as a homeland lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I bet someone from Turkey will be pissed about that one if that's true.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Play me in DC: Ardennes Wacht am Rhein campaign.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lostconfused posted:

I bet someone from Turkey will be pissed about that one if that's true.

*forms Greater Armenia*

Aw, so sad.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Play me in DC: Ardennes Wacht am Rhein campaign.

poo poo is so good, we're on day 4 in the one I'm playing

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I forgot this thread for a while but in regards to GHPC:

I'm pretty good friends with most of the dev team and they are in no way "inspired" by War Thunder, in case anyone still gets that vibe. They all hate it.

They're proper gear coomers but ultimate sim is not the design goal either. It's supposed to be a fun singleplayer game with enough sim to be engaging, not a sim with a game stapled to it. It's still very early on: for example the IFV gameplay is meant to be about commanding infantry squads and that's not in yet. Until the early access release it has just been 4 people with only one of them full time, this is not a big studio product with money backing. They refused deals from Epic and Microprose because they want to stay independent.

Calling it a simulator is for marketing reasons because anything that's not Battlefield feels like a simulator to a casual player.

Multiplayer is a "maybe if we can manage it" kind of thing. This will not be a microtransaction/DLC cash cow.

The devs are also absolute communists so there's that too.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 15:52 on Oct 23, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

poo poo is so good, we're on day 4 in the one I'm playing

I played a couple campaigns before my opponents called it quits :(

poo poo is very fun.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbyzbKkrxc

victoria 3 comes out in two days

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's a little too abstract and simple for something like Vicky 3 but I kind of liked how Ozymandias' power system worked. Great for the quick gameplay it was using. Your military is just a vague abstract force and you bring it to a "point" with armies and navies who push out over time and take territory in places where they're unchallenged or stronger. So the focus is less on just doomstacking armies and more on using money and research to up your tech and logistics.

Ozymandias really scratches an itch i didn't realise I had, for a really quite short but instantly replayable fairly abstract strategy game.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Danann posted:

victoria 3 comes out in two days

it’s a modern paradox game, why the gently caress does anyone give a poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

in Ozymandias i almost always set the food slider to max until its time to raise a military unit, then basically switch it to full power.

even if im not being expansionist, it feels like leaving it on 100% power still is the best move once you are past the early game food problems.

im sure this is not optimal gameplay, but it sure seems like the best option

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Check in to see if you can put a few % to science and/or money to make a breakpoint. Getting a yield tech or another army out a turn earlier is usually worth one less power or a bit of food.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm familiar with Paradox mapgames, but I've never interacted with the Vickie franchise. Who/what playthrough should I watch?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Brandon Proust posted:

i preordered it and im gonna play it tomorrow

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Brandon Proust posted:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Orange Devil posted:

Check in to see if you can put a few % to science and/or money to make a breakpoint. Getting a yield tech or another army out a turn earlier is usually worth one less power or a bit of food.

Yeah, I vary between 10 & 20% research on the first couple of turns just to get that going. And maybe 10% in gold so I can get a troop unit as rushing that early can mean some good early territory grabs before my neighbour is prepared.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Brandon Proust posted:

Some people just really love garbage. I love 80's action movies, I know a guy super into shlocky old kung fu movies, and here is a thread full of people who think paradox make good games,

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Can you make this say either "lol & lmao" or "puking & crying"? TIA :tipshat:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

in Ozymandias i almost always set the food slider to max until its time to raise a military unit, then basically switch it to full power.

even if im not being expansionist, it feels like leaving it on 100% power still is the best move once you are past the early game food problems.

im sure this is not optimal gameplay, but it sure seems like the best option

Power wastes a lot of money if you don't have the savings tech. You should fight early wars in "pulses" of investment.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brandon Proust posted:

I have to respect Paradox' grind. They had a super complete Crusader Kings 2 that cost hundreds of euros, so they decided to do a graphics revamp and little else and released a 50 euro CK3 along with 60 euros worth of DLC that still have way less content that the previous game.

Victoria looks really good, but I assume the AI will be completely incapable of playing the game, as is modern paradox tradition.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
thankfully the hoi4 dlc last month was such a disaster as to remind me to not touch Vicky 3 until probably next year

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

The politics of Terra Invictus is bananas but in a great way. Just a lil bit of shotposting in your flavor text, as a treat.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
CK2 also had little to no systems for dealing with cultural change and the game wasn't remotely as moddable as CK3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
CK3 let's you Hapsburg the poo poo out of bloodlines which gets reflected in the character models. That alone is worth it over CK2