Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

run on sentience posted:

I couldn't stop laughing at that mural. If anyone finds a clear copy of it, please post it here.

It's actually the most currently recent post in the other Star Trek thread, but okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There another Star Trek thread?

And I think Mariner doesn't explain herself because it was very clear no one wanted to hear what she said, and her reputation being what it was, they just assumed her "But I didn't do anything wrong!" would be her just trying to defend being a poo poo disturber.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hell yeah Breen poo poo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

zoux posted:

Hell yeah Breen poo poo

If this show gives us our first peek under the helmet... :allears:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s just another helmet

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Everyone posted:

It's actually the most currently recent post in the other Star Trek thread, but okay.

Thank you! I'm not caught up on the sex ghost thread if that's the one you mean.

Edit: nm it was the hits blunt thread lol

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Revelation at the end made how everyone treated Mariner earlier extra lovely. I'm kinda bummed now. Hopefully there's a part 2 next week?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
When are we getting a Short Treks where Detmer has to go back in time and be PM of the UK for 45 days to keep history on the path to the Irish Reunification of 2024?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I bet Landru has convinced somebody to take that DO NOT OBEY sign off of his housing, they should go back and check up on him before the next Festival.

Captain Freeman better brush up on her computer-defeating logic puzzles, things are about to get The Ultimate Computer-y up in here.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

CPColin posted:

When are we getting a Short Treks where Detmer has to go back in time and be PM of the UK for 45 days to keep history on the path to the Irish Reunification of 2024?

I’m here from the future to help you feel seen

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

ashpanash posted:

the sudden Breen appearance / full-on act of war / sudden introduction of the new ships was far too rushed and unearned. I get that it's setup (I bet the Breen are fake or were lured there on false pretenses by the evil computers) and I get that they have limited time to do all of this setup in an episode, and it's not like I'm unwilling to let the show slide here. But it still should be called out, It's the kind of thing I'd expect out of Picard's writing room, not this one.

Sounds like straight out of the DS9 writers room

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

ashpanash posted:

I mean, "Admiral Buenamigo?" Practically screaming evil admiral there.

As for the episode, I felt this was the first time this season the show felt really flat. The main conflict arose because no one talked to each other, which is lazy writing. That Mariner would never attempt to even tell anyone exactly what she said to the reporter was just sloppy. Yes, they are conditioned to expect the worst, but just last episode they're talking about how all the department heads have noticed her improvement in attitude and job performance over the course of the season. She would have earned some benefit of the doubt to explain herself, even if only to Jen.

That, and the sudden Breen appearance / full-on act of war / sudden introduction of the new ships was far too rushed and unearned. I get that it's setup (I bet the Breen are fake or were lured there on false pretenses by the evil computers) and I get that they have limited time to do all of this setup in an episode, and it's not like I'm unwilling to let the show slide here. But it still should be called out, It's the kind of thing I'd expect out of Picard's writing room, not this one.

I had to go back a few minutes to double check it I had missed something after Mariner was transferred.

I expected a twist somewhere that Space Shenanigans had gone down that Mariner wasn't aware of yet could be reversed immediately at the end, but for whatever reason the show committed to the idea without humor or complexity.

Weird episode.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I found it weird that aside from Boimler and Tendi, no one gave Mariner a chance to defend herself.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jake Sisko would never have condoned such shoddy gotcha journalism :mad:

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

some kinda jackal posted:

I’m kind of bummed we didn’t get to see more Starbase 80, but maybe this is like Maris on Frasier — nothing you actually put on screen will live up to the buildup. I thought it was funny though :)

If it bends, it's funny. If it breaks, it's not funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-_Akm40RJQ

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Everyone posted:

This man is Naruto running.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Showing any part of Starbase 80 was a mistake. Seeing that it’s a run-down shithole is way less funny than everyone’s formless fear whenever the subject is brought up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The episode had some great parts (Rutherford screaming at the near-weeping Security Officer) but I didn't like how they handled the whole Mariner aspect of it. Still, I have faith it'll go somewhere interesting next week.

The mural though, that was :kiss:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Counterpoint: I love starbase 80

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also the animators definitely have a new favourite screen template

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Jake Sisko would never have condoned such shoddy gotcha journalism :mad:

Maybe they'll resolve the plot by having Jake Sisko guest and do a report on how it was a hit piece.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Everyone posted:

Kesper North posted:

This man is Naruto running.

The guy in the middle also looks an awful lot like a Naruto:

Also: Dollars to donuts we get a callback to Admiral Goodfriend's weird "Let's ditch the pomp" line that they specifically highlighted when they reveal him as a villain or whatever.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

twistedmentat posted:

There another Star Trek thread?

I think there's three or four? I like the one in GBS because GBS has no spoiler rules, so it has a sense of danger.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think there's three or four?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

THERE ARE FOUR THREADS

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GBS thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777056&pagenumber=1

Modern Trek TVIV thread (you're in it).
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3911697

Classic Trek TVIV thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781992&pagenumber=1

The rarely-updated DS9 watch thread in Sci-fi wi-fi
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993545&pagenumber=1

Star Trek Online thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860682&pagenumber=1

I think there's also a other intermittent shitposting trek threads in sci-fi wifi that come and go but nothing that persistent?

There's also the Cool Spaceships thread which isn't a Trek thread but Trek comes up in it sometimes
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921385&pagenumber=45#lastpost

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nullsmack posted:

Revelation at the end made how everyone treated Mariner earlier extra lovely. I'm kinda bummed now. Hopefully there's a part 2 next week?

Nah this is a story they've done a half dozen times now where Mariner constantly acts all irresponsible and entitled and then when she's accused of acting irresponsible and entitled acts all shocked and hurt when nobody believes her, but then she never has to change or suffer consequences because the writers always make sure that she was right in the end.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
drat, poor Mariner. Her reputation for being a troublesome poo poo-stirrer is so bad that even her girlfriend assumes the worst when she actually did something nice and selflessly pro-Starfleet, never mind her mother. :smith:

Also Breen out of nowhere. Did they disintegrate a kid as their introduction? :stare:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Ross must be thrilled with this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lQ1XIrXjls

I did think it was kind of lovely that the whole Mariner plot only works because of sitcom-esque 'nobody talks to each other and there's a misunderstanding' logic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Nah this is a story they've done a half dozen times now where Mariner constantly acts all irresponsible and entitled and then when she's accused of acting irresponsible and entitled acts all shocked and hurt when nobody believes her, but then she never has to change or suffer consequences because the writers always make sure that she was right in the end.

Still not watching the same show as the rest of us, eh?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I still think (or hope at least) the finale's gonna reveal the reporter was carrying some sort of contagious mind parasite or something. It just rubs me the wrong way, the way Freeman reacted was way over the line and borderline cruel (going on the intercom to be like "nobody even talk to her" etc.) and I don't buy that even Jen wouldn't have given her at least the benefit of the doubt.

I dunno. It seemed like a very unnecessarily rapid escalation of events.

Also agreed, Starbase 80 was way better as a Maris situation.

e: ok I did think of something and it would be preeeetty funny if the finale was essentially a parody of Disco S2 - evil AI has infiltrated starfleet again and Will Boimler-in-S31 tries to save the day but is immediately absorbed by the evil AI

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 21, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My guess is that we get an episode similar to TOS’ The Ultimate Computer

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

My guess is that we get an episode similar to TOS’ The Ultimate Computer
'The Ultimater Computers': Badgey takes over a Texas-class starship and busts Peanut Hamper and Agimus out of Daystrom. Mariner meets an alien mummy. Mummy: Liz Truss.

Man, I can't believe the season's almost over already, again! Ten episodes at a time isn't enough.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Freeman's overreaction makes (some amount of) sense to me, even if it's a bit heightened and exacerbated by nobody talking to each other for plot contrivance reasons -- as far as the captain knows, her daughter just singlehandedly undermined the pet project she'd been shepherding for several years, made Adm. Buenamigo and the rest of the admiralty look like idiots for taking a chance on her, ruined the public perception of the entire California-class fleet, and permanently blocked her from rising any further in Starfleet

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 21, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

also freeman's kinda nuts

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Mariner spent the first part of the episode literally staining the ship (with blueberries)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Mariner leaving a blueberry trail like some kind of blue snail was great.

Mx. posted:

also I'm freeman' deez nuts lmao

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Also: Dollars to donuts we get a callback to Admiral Goodfriend's weird "Let's ditch the pomp" line that they specifically highlighted when they reveal him as a villain or whatever.

hologram being controlled by multiple people one of which is telling another to ditch a pompadour

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Freeman is a really bad captain and a bad mom.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Freeman is a good captain when she's not being a bad captain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
as much work as engineers have to do regularly on starships, i'm a little skeptical that the texas is a reliable idea. Though some muscle they could send if there's trouble in the sector seems like an ok idea to me? The Cerritos sure seems like it could use a guardian angel every few eps