Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

jokes posted:

Are halloween bags a good way to grind gold? Like, efficiently?

Generally yeah. Load up on as much magic find as you can and find a good commander and hit the lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Keep in mind that some of the LAB boss chests don't auto-open. You gotta go over to them yourself.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Lpzie posted:

How many Halloween bags are people getting per hour in the lab? Someone said 500 is normal but I'm only pulling like 250. Very sad!!

That sounds about right, I got the ballpark of 250ish sitting around 500-600 magic find in 30 minutes and I could pump the magic find up a bit higher without much effort.

Ideally, you'd have a whole squad with 0 dps thief shortbows just opening green doors and killing everything as you move together, boss kills give a stacking +25% magic find for 15 minutes but you'd need everyone to swap over to raid dps on another gear set and that's a lot of effort for most people.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 21, 2022

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive been running at the back on my mechanist, only killing stuff left behind and at doors. Im hitting about 500 in an hour. got nothing good so far as i cant do more than an hour before im over it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
As far as I can tell lab farming isn’t particularly more lucrative than the best meta event farms, so don’t feel pressured to do it unless you enjoy hearing Joko and Thorn cosplay as Statler and Waldorf for hours

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
If you're getting 500 per hour, that puts it at about 15.5g per hour (ignoring any other drops, and TP losses) which is significantly worse than most of the metas: https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/meta. It does have the advantage of being pretty brain-dead, and always running though.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Lol. i dont sell. i open.

So im running way less than 15g an hour.

But it is brain dead. i can do it while im doing other stuff. Its pretty chill.

The worst part of gw2 halloween

i vote

the player base - at king thorn's Mad king Says.

how i wish i could just ban about 30% of the people that show up.

Your joke wasnt funny the first time you said it, the 10th.....

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Meskhenet posted:

Lol. i dont sell. i open.

So im running way less than 15g an hour.

But it is brain dead. i can do it while im doing other stuff. Its pretty chill.

The worst part of gw2 halloween

i vote

the player base - at king thorn's Mad king Says.

how i wish i could just ban about 30% of the people that show up.

Your joke wasnt funny the first time you said it, the 10th.....

My vote is for the Steve jokes in the lab.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

bengy81 posted:

My vote is for the Steve jokes in the lab.

:hmmyes:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I havent had many of those.

Just Steeeeeve, when ever he shows up, which isnt nearly as bad at the 'Thorn daddy' bullshit in LA every 2 hours

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I'm new to this whole thing why is that skeleton called Steve anyway?

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Spudd posted:

In my head it's because of the scumbag Steve meme, but I couldn't find any source on the actual origin.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Spudd posted:

the community decided it was so

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

..btt posted:

If you're getting 500 per hour, that puts it at about 15.5g per hour (ignoring any other drops, and TP losses) which is significantly worse than most of the metas: https://fast.farming-community.eu/open-world/meta. It does have the advantage of being pretty brain-dead, and always running though.

With all the magic find and none-stop killing I did have my 2nd ever precursor drop in 10 years :toot:

But yeah you will probably make more gold doing the regular valuable metas or farmtraining leviathans instead.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

where the red fern gropes posted:

the community decided it was so

I see, thank you

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Got another char slot and 80 boost with EoD. I don't like "stance dancing" much, so Ele and Rev are at the back of the list of unplayed classes. That leaves Engi and Thief as recipients of the Cele set. Any strong arguments for choosing Cele Specter over Mech/Scrapper after the last balance patch?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Is there a cheap/easy way of getting an ascended armor set now without grinding crafting?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Not really, no. The fastest is crafting, the cheapest(but random) is fractals/raids.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

OTOH you don’t need ascended armor unless you’re doing higher tier fractals

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The lunatic armor currently available is stat selectable exotic armor that is bound to account so you can pass it between your other characters of the same armor type. You have to craft it, and each recipe costs 1000 candy corn (1 cob), or twice that for the chest armor, per each armor weight. It does take some ascended materials and some halloween materials but its pretty quick and easy to make if you've already leveled your crafting.

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs
I don't think I've seen it here, but there's a "free" 24slot bag if you sign up to the newsletter currently - https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/free-24-slot-bag-with-newsletters/

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is there a cheap/easy way of getting an ascended armor set now without grinding crafting?

Strikes and raids. You can use the currency to buy stat selectable ascended armor. But it’s a slog to earn enough currency. However, running 1hr or less of daily strikes is easy

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mercury_Storm posted:

Even doing just the Emboldened Raid Wing every week will get you good progress towards ascended armor/legendary gewgaws

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

octan3 posted:

I don't think I've seen it here, but there's a "free" 24slot bag if you sign up to the newsletter currently - https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/free-24-slot-bag-with-newsletters/

Be warned that the bag is soulbound, so it's gonna be stuck on whoever you first equip it on.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If you are going the raid route, the legendary armor precursor achievements give you two full sets of ascended armor, but they do take a bit of effort.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

finished HoS, was making good time, am making progress in PoF... did they actively decide to make the story quests longer and more tedious? was really enjoying how quick and to the point the HoS story quests were.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

cams posted:

finished HoS, was making good time, am making progress in PoF... did they actively decide to make the story quests longer and more tedious? was really enjoying how quick and to the point the HoS story quests were.

Omfg I'm on the same boat right now and I was thinking the exact the samething.

I just want a flying mount. I'll kill whatever you want, just stop talking.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
You guys realise you don't have to do the story, right? There are a few rewards you can get from it, but nothing that important. If you're not enjoying it just do something else.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I’m pretty sure griffon requires you to finish the story, which seems to be what they want.

That said, I don’t recall PoF story being particularly long or annoying especially compared to something like LS2.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure that's a good recommendation. Don't do the story multiple times if you don't enjoy it, but it's what gives all these other things you can "do" context and some features and maps are locked until you've done the story far enough once (eg. certain living world maps).

Sure you can just start every episode's story and never complete any of it, but that's an extremely subjective thing and can turn people off even more since it makes the game feel disjointed. The story getting increasingly verbose with lengthy walking and talking bits you can't speed up or skip is a valid criticism, although some missions are worse than others. I think in PoF it's worst in the first two zones.

And yeah if someone wants the cool jetplane bird mount they will have to finish the PoF story :shrug:

orcane fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 23, 2022

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Oh yeah the unskippable dialog is absolutely obnoxious, especially for replays

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'll stand by my recommendation not to do something you don't find fun in a video game!

I think griffon as your first flying mount isn't the best idea anyway - the only unique thing it does is going fast sideways and down. It's a luxury item imo. The skyscale actually lets you do things you couldn't otherwise do and can replace most of the other mounts for most things. Also, neither requires you complete all the story, only specific bits of it. You don't need to complete HoT or the core story to get the griffon.

There's a whole load of story at this point, don't force yourself to do it if you're not enjoying it. You can always come back later. If there's something you want to get, you can just go straight for it. Or you can not - there's no one "correct" way to play.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

The sky scale is like 6 mamoth unfun things train carted together and then driven off a cliff in mexico, with a few time gates because you need to have even more unfun!

but it is the best mount.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
That is also true.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Skyscale feels artificial, griffin best mount most fun I've had in this game.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Getting a Skyscale is fun, actually :colbert:

Takes you to all sorts of cool spots and events you'd basically never see, the story you have to redo (if you're getting the resources via return achievements) is the best LS season in the game, and it's not all that grindy in the sense of doing the same thing over and over again to farm gold/mats.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The first time through the HoT and PoF storylines still unlocks a bunch of stuff like collections, while the LS3/4/5 episodes unlock new places, mounts, etc. The story can get bad, but the game can get way, way worse (and a lot more grindy) in "alternative" content, and if you're new you probably want the easy mastery points from story chapters instead of having to farm random cheevos you have zero context for. And of course the griffon is "unnecessary" because all mounts except the first four are, but it's convenient and fun and it's a valid reason to want to get the story done.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Technically, you have to play all LWs stories once for the Seasons of the Dragons legendary. PoF story once is required for unlocking the last Skimmer mastery (mounting and riding under water). So the most skipable are core and HoT story, though I am not sure if some HoT masteries tracks are tied to story rather than zone unlocks

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I'm about to do Vision and one of the items I need sadly cannot be acquired via WvW mastery tracks. How painful is getting the 'A star to guide us' mastery achievement? Any achievements I should avoid? I would prefer to not replay the story instances if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

skyscale was meant to be the capstone unlock for the game's final major content release, it's overpowered because they thought they'd never have to account for it in future development