Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

It must be excruciating in a way that's different from the rest of the town to bank with Silent Hill Saving

having to drive literally the entirety of Nathan Ave around the lake to get to it from Old Town.

Honestly the biggest issue for me is that Toluca Lake does not make any sense at all. The northern part of the map implies that the town was built to the west of the lake, but the southern part shows the lake as being north of town! I hope someone was fired for that blunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Philippe posted:

Honestly the biggest issue for me is that Toluca Lake does not make any sense at all. The northern part of the map implies that the town was built to the west of the lake, but the southern part shows the lake as being north of town! I hope someone was fired for that blunder.

For what it's worth, Origins is the top-middle map piece and they kinda seemed aware of this discrepancy. The area around Toluca Ave is pretty much completely destroyed, with the Sanitarium essentially the only solid ground. Travis has to shortcut through the tiniest butcher shop to get around this absolutely massive gap.

In the screenshot, he's facing where Toluca Lake would go. Sanitarium on his left far off in the fog.

edit: Also in the real world there's probably much more of Riverside Dr than the map there implies in the fadeout.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:18 on Oct 18, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something kind of amusing that I've noticed now that I'm halfway through the Otherworld hospital is that it feels like it's... stopped being all that scary. I think it's because it relies on a fear of the unknown and abnormal, but as I get used to the level design it's becoming known and normal, at least within the context of the game. It's still creepy, but it's not as paralysing as it was.

I do like that it plays with your expectations on the first visit to the Otherworld, in that the first room in the Otherworld Hospital is the garden. The nicest room in the whole level, nicer than the main halls of the normal hospital. Then you leave it and the whole world is 100 times worse.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Oct 18, 2022

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
One thing I think is really neat in Trials of Mana is that, when in combat, your attacks don't produce any rumble when hitting an enemy, but only a small rumble when you get hit. It's a really nice, unobtrusive way of letting you know.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I kind of like Silent Hill 2's emphasis on how irreversible James' journey is becoming. In some of the later games they settle into a rhythm of "Do normal location, do otherworld location, beat boss and back to normal world" with only some exceptions later on, but Silent hill 2 only has one transition between worlds so far - the one in the hospital. He doesn't get a boss there to reset it. No catharsis. Red Pyramid takes maria from him, then he's just... stuck wallowing. Him jumping into holes in the Historical society just makes the symbolism literal, but he's already been jumping down holes. Even the letter with the wrench tells him to give up and leave, but by then it's too late. Silent Hill has him in the Dark World, and the Historical Society doesn't really HAVE a light world dungeon iirc, just a series of holes leading deeper and deeper into nothing good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC James is in the Dark World from midway through the hospital until the very end of the hotel, probably more than half the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I love the hole mid-prison that is actually a door on the floor leading to a hallway, as the room itself is sideways. It really does feel like silent laughter not at you but James. "We made this hole sideways AND require a puzzle and you STILL wanna jump into it!! What do we gotta do before you get it, make one shaped like your own grave??"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also like that there is more effort in monster designs than just "No face" like that the Nurses in the Otherworld go from being totally faceless to having those weird circular sucker-lip-vagina things that the hanging frames have in their boss fight intro cutscene. There is a kind of almost-face, but it draws attention to the fact that that's all there is. It's not just smooth like a mannequin. Also even beforehand, the facelessness is lumpy and gross, like they did have faces once that became overgrown by whatever that tissue is.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Speaking of Silent Hill 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRvRWBQNrSI

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm almost finished playing through Cyberpunk 2077. Like most open-world RPGs, the world has a pile of collectibles; you can buy ever-increasingly expensive vehicles and apartment hubs throughout the city. What's interesting here is how the game's themes shade buying them as desperate and pathetic.

The protagonist is dying; after they gently caress Up Real Bad in act one, they're told they have only days to weeks left. It's not going to be clean.

As a player, I spent the equivalent of a decade's salary to buy a downtown penthouse, raided the minibar, and never went inside again. To the character, this might have been the achievement of a lifetime, something they dreamed and fought for their entire life. And while they can now earn it through violence, they'll never get to keep anything because they're reaping the karma of their actions. Maybe the next apartment they purchase will be fulfilling.

It recontextualizes a lot of the player & character actions as tantrums against mortality, a futile attempt to assert meaning on a world that won't remember them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As someone else who's playing Cyberpunk, my little thing is that all of the main quests are named after songs

It's also funny how long that took to percolate through my brain before I noticed

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

a kitten posted:

As someone else who's playing Cyberpunk, my little thing is that all of the main quests are named after songs

It's also funny how long that took to percolate through my brain before I noticed
Even better they only do that after you get Johnny stuck in your head. Before that they are just normal rote job names iirc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

a kitten posted:

That's a pretty good list, I recognized enough of them that I knew they were going for a theme, but there are a lot more I didn't even recognize too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Even better they only do that after you get Johnny stuck in your head. Before that they are just normal rote job names iirc.

Now I want a mod that replaces Johnny Silverhand with Johnny Cash.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Fallout: New Vegas did this too, except many of the songs that quests were named after didn't actually make it into the soundtrack. It wasn't until I installed a mod that expanded the radio that I realized "Oh, 'Volare!' is a song!"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A radio mod taught me that Guess Who I Saw Today is a banger!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Playing In Sound Mind and early on there is a cat you can interact with. When you pet her, you get a trophy called GOTY 10/10. I Thought that was pretty funny.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

2house2fly posted:

A radio mod taught me that Guess Who I Saw Today is a banger!

It's a song that's also a story, which is the best genre

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As it takes place in Bend, Days Gone contains a real dude that lives in the real Bend Oregon performing his punk songs at one of the camps. Since there's no electric guitars in the freaker pocalypse, he has switched to folk punk and did folk punk covers of all his songs for the game. His name's Zander Reese.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:42 on Oct 20, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've got midway through the hotel now, I've done the elevator-of-no-items bit and opened the restaurant so I can explore the right half of the hotel. Just need to place the three music boxes in the lobby first. I like that the hotel is a huge contrast to the apartments and hospital because it's still quite a nice place, it's just dark. Probably because it's the place James is least outwardly afraid of because it has his happiest memories of Mary, so doesn't get as distorted.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My wife got me a ps5 for my birthday so I bought demons souls and my god the game looks incredible even on my old 19 inch cathode tube set

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've beaten Silent Hill 2 now, I've got the Leave ending.

I like the contrast between the hotel and the hospital. At the hospital, James is still wrongfully blaming that place for his wife's death due to his denial, and because of that it becomes corrosive, making Maria sick too, bringing out the worst in her emotionally just like the sickness did to Mary then taking her away via Pyramid head. It's otherworld version is violent, aggressive and wants James dead because that's how he perceives it in the moment despite the truth being that they were doing their best and it was actually a sanctuary for Mary that James destroyed himself.

The start of the hotel is relatively nice if dark, because James is still lying to himself about all his memories of it being positive, so it's dark because he's refusing to allow himself to see past the weak illusion. By the middle of the hotel however, James has recognised the truth, and it's sent him into a depression, and the hotel follows suit. There are very few monsters and basically no puzzles because the hotel is falling into the same depression. It's a passive environment that is slowly dying as James' guilt consumes both him and the hotel itself. The hotel is flooded with light, saturated with it, no real lighting to speak of as it's very flat and empty because James is feeling that emptiness, and because he's finally allowing himself to SEE it.

This perspective also allows him a brief glimpse into Angela's otherworld because he's finally come to his senses enough to empathise with other people. He's finally able to start to say the right things to Angela. The problem is it's far too late as she's so far gone by then no amount of therapy, or reassurances that her family were in the wrong and not her, can help. Her otherworld is burning because it's being consumed by her. She cannot perceive anything without it becoming tainted by her trauma. The whole world is on fire to her because everything is a trigger, there is nothing that she can go near that will not hurt her, intentionally or otherwise, as if it were wreathed in flame.

At least that's my take on the symbolism. :P

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

oldpainless posted:

My wife got me a ps5 for my birthday so I bought demons souls and my god the game looks incredible even on my old 19 inch cathode tube set

More like oldOLEDless.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

I've beaten Silent Hill 2 now, I've got the Leave ending.

I like the contrast between the hotel and the hospital. At the hospital, James is still wrongfully blaming that place for his wife's death due to his denial, and because of that it becomes corrosive, making Maria sick too, bringing out the worst in her emotionally just like the sickness did to Mary then taking her away via Pyramid head. It's otherworld version is violent, aggressive and wants James dead because that's how he perceives it in the moment despite the truth being that they were doing their best and it was actually a sanctuary for Mary that James destroyed himself.

The start of the hotel is relatively nice if dark, because James is still lying to himself about all his memories of it being positive, so it's dark because he's refusing to allow himself to see past the weak illusion. By the middle of the hotel however, James has recognised the truth, and it's sent him into a depression, and the hotel follows suit. There are very few monsters and basically no puzzles because the hotel is falling into the same depression. It's a passive environment that is slowly dying as James' guilt consumes both him and the hotel itself. The hotel is flooded with light, saturated with it, no real lighting to speak of as it's very flat and empty because James is feeling that emptiness, and because he's finally allowing himself to SEE it.

This perspective also allows him a brief glimpse into Angela's otherworld because he's finally come to his senses enough to empathise with other people. He's finally able to start to say the right things to Angela. The problem is it's far too late as she's so far gone by then no amount of therapy, or reassurances that her family were in the wrong and not her, can help. Her otherworld is burning because it's being consumed by her. She cannot perceive anything without it becoming tainted by her trauma. The whole world is on fire to her because everything is a trigger, there is nothing that she can go near that will not hurt her, intentionally or otherwise, as if it were wreathed in flame.

At least that's my take on the symbolism. :P

Slight difference of opinion, Angela says, "For me, it's always like this." I took that to mean that's what SH has been for her all this time, possibly since before you find her in front of the mirror. This fits with my interpretation that you fight Eddie in a meat locker, which I figure is how Eddie sees everything. It's all just meat, people are meat, just inert flesh to be consumed -- before it consumes him, I'd guess, though I don't remember fighting any meat monsters with Eddie around. I guess James is meat too by the time he has to kill Eddie, so maybe it's that.

Whatever. Game good. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I think Silent Hill 2's audio-visual prose is in the same league as Disco Elysium's writing prose. I love them both.

vvv Oh yeah!

Ragnar34 has a new favorite as of 10:35 on Oct 21, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

Slight difference of opinion, Angela says, "For me, it's always like this." I took that to mean that's what SH has been for her all this time, possibly since before you find her in front of the mirror. This fits with my interpretation that you fight Eddie in a meat locker, which I figure is how Eddie sees everything. It's all just meat, people are meat, just inert flesh to be consumed -- before it consumes him, I'd guess, though I don't remember fighting any meat monsters with Eddie around. I guess James is meat too by the time he has to kill Eddie, so maybe it's that.

Whatever. Game good. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I think Silent Hill 2's audio-visual prose is in the same league as Disco Elysium's writing prose. I love them both.

That's what I meant - James first sees it then, but all of Angela's version of Silent hill is ablaze because every bit of it is in some way a trigger. Angela's silent hill has always been on fire, James just wasn't able to perceive that until the end.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

You're both wrong, it's about male circumcision.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Then why does Silent Hill 3 have so many foreskins everywhere. Oh no I get it, that's why there aren't any in 2, it's because they got chopped

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

You're both wrong, it's about male circumcision.

In this essay I will,

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

First of all, wtf are you doing playing it on a 19 inch CRT what

Second of all, the second area of Laria Tower had me pausing to take in the sights, looking all over the place and trying to get the best vantage point. Just absolutely stunning.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Morpheus posted:

First of all, wtf are you doing playing it on a 19 inch CRT what.

It's oldpainless, it's his schtick

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
More like newscreenless.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
After all, if he had an easy time getting a fancy new monitor he’d be oledpainless

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

After all, if he had an easy time getting a fancy new monitor he’d be oledpainless

:nice:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Morpheus posted:

I'm sure olp's wife is very satisfied with his 19" cathode ray tube 😏

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ravenfood posted:

Same with your quest log, which is normal until johnny starts writing it including his own commentary on it. very cool detail imo.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

madeintaipei posted:

More like oldOLEDless.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

:colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but the second one is better.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but the second one is better.

Yup.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I just want to reiterate since I've started playing Tales of Berseria today, I think Zestiria's intro blows it out of the water, and overall has more likeable characters, although Velvet is more fun to PLAY as. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfQkGqno85Q