Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

ThinkFear posted:

OP what are you calling your donut emporium?

Haven’t settled on a name yet but Hz donut maybe

Maybe just (last name)’s

I don’t know all the good ones are trademarked like I thought mudslingers was a cool name but there’s already a bunch of those

Edit: ordered a propane burner so I can tweak recipes in the driveway rather than greasing up the whole house. Right now my goal it to take some really nice doughnuts to thanksgiving.

Rationale fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rationale posted:

So I went and got a commercial mixer at an astonishing discount and dude’s still acting like I’m not…serious enough?

You don't even know if the mixer works. Bringing home a truck load of garbage that you actually paid for (mixer should have been free for trash hauling services) shows neither good judgement nor that you're serious.

In fact, every additional thing you disclose makes your judgement further suspect. But I suppose that's the whole point of your thread.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Motronic posted:

You don't even know if the mixer works. Bringing home a truck load of garbage that you actually paid for (mixer should have been free for trash hauling services) shows neither good judgement nor that you're serious.

In fact, every additional thing you disclose makes your judgement further suspect. But I suppose that's the whole point of your thread.

Yeah just never do anything and you’ll never make any mistakes why didn’t I think of that?

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
lol. i dunno, "some practice making donuts" would be a solid middle ground between "doing nothing" and "buying a whole bunch of expensive heavy machines"

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

gently caress the haters, OP; the silent majority believes in you :patriot:

worst case you find a local mafioso or other entity in need of a clean front

then you absolutely would not need to learn basic business planning, or even how to make donuts, while still having a donut shop pulling down four+ figures daily

all with virtually no downside; hell, your new partners may even have some ideas on how to run the joint

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rationale posted:

I was thinking closer to 1am or so and yeah my lifestyle is bad right now.

If you're willing to totally upend your sleep cycle there's a donut shop around here open from midnight to noon. They clean up with the late night crowd, get morning business, and shut down around lunch.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
You said you were in a skilled trade right OP?

Could you explain that process, how you became a journeyman that kind of thing?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. :doh:

quote:

There is a definite stupid guy attraction to donuts as a get rich plan,

See, I don't understand this (I believe you, I just don't get it). If I look at the best- and worst-case outcomes for owning a donut shop, 99.99% of positive outcomes just put you making a middle-income income on a shop while working a full-time job or more, while assuming all the risks. The remaining 0.01% of "against all odds, you won the lottery" positive outcomes are still a middle-class income but with employees at the shop plus normal hours for yourself. None of those outcomes are fame and riches. Meanwhile, the negatives are mostly disastrous or at minimum very expensive. Because again: big donut stores don't make their money on donuts. They make their money by franchising out to suckers who then might make money on donuts overpriced coffee. FFS, Dunkin took the Donuts part out of their name.

Nothing about a donut shop (unless you're actually using it to launder money and/or sell drugs) screams Get Rich to me. At all.

quote:

an add-on he called the Dough-Joe

Okay, hear me out: A store that sells DIY donut+decoration kits you take home to fry so you can pretend you're hot poo poo or something. We'll call it "John Dough" because you're the anonymous donuteer behind it all.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Rationale posted:

Then I think I’ll also sell some stuff dirt cheap for the people like dollar drip, dollar raised glazed, loss leaders I think they’re called. I want people to come by every day and not just on payday.

I would say that having a loss leader directly compete with your main product is crazy, but I am sure this has been thought through.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rationale posted:

Then I think I’ll also sell some stuff dirt cheap for the people like dollar drip, dollar raised glazed, loss leaders I think they’re called. I want people to come by every day and not just on payday.
He's going to lose money on every sale, but don't worry, he's going to make it up in volume.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Ok. After reading through this thread...

OP, you've got a pretty sweet life. You probably make $50-70K a year, get random full weeks off, live comfortably on your wife's income, and just had a commercial building just fall in your lap. I have no idea why you want to gently caress with it.

But, OK...a few things:

1) Someone suggested working at or learning at a Dunkin or Starbucks or something. I'd actually say a Daylight Donuts or a independent shop, if you have one in your area, might be better. That's probably closer to what your business model will look like.

2) Do you know exactly how many cars go by that intersection during the hours you're open? You say there's cars every 10 or 15 seconds. If we're talking a car every 10-15 seconds, that's only maybe 300-400 cars an hour. If 1% stop at your business, that's only 3-4 cars an hour. You can't make a living off that. I'm guessing walk-by traffic is negligible.

3) If the average income in your town is 41K a year for a household, that's really low. There's probably a lot of people who, even if they like your product, can't afford the $5 a day they'd LIKE to spend. They get coffee and donuts from the grocery store and eat at home most of the time.

4) I really hope you're planning on re-upholstering those chairs. They're ugly as sin and it looks like people rubbed body juices on them at the pizzatitty place. Gross.

It's a terrible idea and will be a total trainwreck. But, hey, once it breaks your spirit, Walmart is always hiring!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Rationale posted:

Some other dick said

“$75K is not enough to start even a small donut shop. Two or three pieces of equipment break, and that money could be eaten up by replacements/repairs, plus restaurant equipment is expensive, even second-hand stuff. You're not going to be able to get everything on sale, either. Have you at least perused a couple equipment websites to get an idea of what you need and what it'll cost? What size mixer are you going to use? You can't use a tabletop stand mixer, you're making 15lbs of mix, minimum, before adding water.”

So I went and got a commercial mixer at an astonishing discount and dude’s still acting like I’m not…serious enough? I don’t know. Maybe focus less on my disdain for your “go take some classes about it” vibe and more on the advice that I am taking from goons and implementing in the real world.

What you guys present as fatal flaws are what I call “challenges” that can be “overcome”.

You're NOT taking it seriously. Buying/acquiring things is the easiest part of pretty much any venture. It's a cliché that people will buy all sorts of art or crafting supplies and then never make a thing, because buying things and daydreaming is fun and easy. You can buy tons of lumber and hammers and nails, and still not be able to build a house. Building a house requires things like planning and knowledge. You build things, yes? Are there not plans that you follow? Do you go to jobs and just start building with no idea of what materials you need? Are there no schedules to at least try to adhere to? Do you just start sawing and hammering without knowing what needs to be made?

You've got this idea in your head of what it's going to be like, but you don't know if you even like to make doughnuts. Working a fryer in the middle of the night sucks, even for an asocial night-dwelling baker who takes visceral pleasure in the sight and smell of a well-made doughnut. How do you think it's going to be if you hate the work itself? You don't even know if you're good at it.

Dude, I get wanting a change. I worked in offices, then I became a baker, then I dipped out because the sexism was discouraging, the pay was terrible and I hit my limit re: productivity. There's a level of productivity you want to be at for any job, and I'm pretty slow at baking. I'm good, but I'm slow, and I Got the 'Tude Now can vouch for me on this: you can't be slow. My left wrist is also hosed up from repetitive strain. I'm in the process of looking for a new position right now, cuz I love my coworkers but my job isn't what I ultimately want to do. I'm the last person who would tell you that you can't change your occupation or lifestyle. I'm telling you that if you're going to make a drastic change and take on the risks of owning and operating your own business, do it intelligently. "Drastic" doesn't mean "stupid" unless you go about it stupidly. You are going about this stupidly

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

blackmet posted:

OP, you've got a pretty sweet life

It's a terrible idea and will be a total trainwreck. But, hey, once it breaks your spirit, Walmart is always hiring!

Union dues are $444 a year and if you pay them ahead of time you can have a job the day you get out of prison.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

OP name your store Doughn't Nuts

Whether it's real or not I want to learn more about the donut and patisserie making lives of Powerful Katrinka and I Got the 'Tude Now

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Does a donut place need a vent hood for making donuts because the vent hood was the real star of the Doobie saga and it would be fascinating to see someone try to tackle that again.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

What I don't understand is, why are you so allergic to planning and learning?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Powerful Katrinka posted:

You're NOT taking it seriously. Buying/acquiring things is the easiest part of pretty much any venture. It's a cliché that people will buy all sorts of art or crafting supplies and then never make a thing

I think we’re on to something here

Since we’re fitting the building out for one thing and its certificate of occupancy says something else we have to get the $500 permit instead of the $50 permit. Part of the application process for the $500 permit is a detailed set of plans that include your specified equipment. Whatever equipment is on the stamped drawings is what I have to have.

Mind you this is just to get the power back on. The power company won’t play with it until they see the electrical permit stamp. In order to start any work on that place this winter I need to either have bought my equipment or be willing to pay webstaurant prices for it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

question for OP:

When did you get your avatar there

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rationale posted:

Since we’re fitting the building out for one thing and its certificate of occupancy says something else we have to get the $500 permit instead of the $50 permit. Part of the application process for the $500 permit is a detailed set of plans that include your specified equipment. Whatever equipment is on the stamped drawings is what I have to have.

Mind you this is just to get the power back on. The power company won’t play with it until they see the electrical permit stamp. In order to start any work on that place this winter I need to either have bought my equipment or be willing to pay webstaurant prices for it.

How specific do the plans have to be? Maybe you know this, but always make those things as general as absolutely possible

Like "Univex srm 40" bad "40 quart mixer" better "mixer" best if that meets the requirements

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

ilmucche posted:

question for OP:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ilmucche posted:

question for OP:

I think it's both from the future and mistranslated into English. It should read "I am absolutely penniless."

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Admiralty Flag posted:

I think it's both from the future and mistranslated into English. It should read "I am absolutely penniless."

:lmao:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rationale posted:

As a former code official, you are either full of poo poo or badly misunderstanding the process and what your next steps should be.

Big hint: step one is leaving it as whatever it already is or a change of use to U or S-2. This gets the lights on. And anyone in the trades should be familiar with this poo poo already. The fact that it's in a state where power has been LOTO'd is a huge loving red flag all in and of itself.

Your building permit only needs specific equipment when you're trying to do everything all at once. You can't design/build a kitchen out of random garbage equipment when this is a requirement. You don't even have enough money to get whatever garbage hood you pick up vented/makeup air/ansul system in your $75k "budget", so this is all elementary anyway. But I'm sure you will handwave this away as having buddies at the hall that will totally do all of this for you for day old donuts.

Hard to believe you actually "built kitchens for the last 10 years" or whatever you claimed. Unless those were residential kitchens, in which case that has jack and poo poo to do with commercial kitchen experience and requirements.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 21, 2022

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

As a former code official, you are either full of poo poo or badly misunderstanding the process and what your next steps should be.

Big hint: step one is leaving it as whatever it already is or a change of use to U or S-2. This gets the lights on. And anyone in the trades should be familiar with this poo poo already. The fact that it's in a state where power has been LOTO'd is a huge loving red flag all in and of itself.

Your building permit only needs specific equipment when you're trying to do everything all at once. You can't design/build a kitchen out of random garbage equipment when this is a requirement. You don't even have enough money to get whatever garbage hood you pick up vented/makeup air/ansul system in your $75k "budget", so this is all elementary anyway. But I'm sure you will handwave this away as having buddies at the hall that will totally do all of this for you for day old donuts.

Hard to believe you actually "built kitchens for the last 10 years" or whatever you claimed. Unless those were residential kitchens, in which case that has jack and poo poo to do with commercial kitchen experience and requirements.

This is the quintessential motronic post. Sharing useful specialized knowledge, peppered with weird nonsensical insults

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So are you gonna serve drinks at night too or are commuters gonna sit in those musty old titty bar chairs while they wait for their coffee?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Hey guys remember zaurg?

He's back

In doughnut form

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Rationale posted:

Union dues are $444 a year and if you pay them ahead of time you can have a job the day you get out of prison.

Great.

So, what are your plans for learning this business?

What kind of vehicle and foot traffic can you reasonably expect? Because, while as a fat, pasty, middle aged white dude I LOVE me a good donut, but I don't love me one enough to go out of my way much for them.

What demographic are you trying to market towards? How are you going to get them in the door?

And how are you going to take that nasty stuff you bought and make it usable?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

When I worked at Costco I talked to our bakery manager a few times. It was a good gig but he’d have to get there at like 3am to start moving heavy bags of flour into large machines that could easily burn or mangle a finger. The early hours weren’t ideal & those were with the benefit that if he got hurt or wanted to take a vacation the dept would still function & he’d be paid, and if a big machine broke it wasn’t out of his pocket. Or if he got tired of it he could switch to a team with more regular hours.

Not sure what my point is, I guess that bakery management appears to be a hard gig?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can't wait for the OP to get to the vent hood part of this saga.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Will there be titty donuts

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ationale Onut Sho

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Hyrax Attack! posted:

When I worked at Costco I talked to our bakery manager a few times. It was a good gig but he’d have to get there at like 3am to start moving heavy bags of flour into large machines that could easily burn or mangle a finger. The early hours weren’t ideal & those were with the benefit that if he got hurt or wanted to take a vacation the dept would still function & he’d be paid, and if a big machine broke it wasn’t out of his pocket. Or if he got tired of it he could switch to a team with more regular hours.

Not sure what my point is, I guess that bakery management appears to be a hard gig?

It's also worth noting that it's also an extremely low margin gig. You need to do an absolute shitload of volume, or have very high prices (with a unique product to justify that!) to make money in baking. As with any business, doing your research and putting down a formal plan is critical. As is controlling costs.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The prepackaged donut mix is $0.10 a donut and you can sell them for $2 - that’s a 95% profit margin!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
probably one of the important things to figure out in making a business plan is the difference between gross margin and net margin

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

probably one of the important things to figure out in making a business plan is the difference between gross margin and net margin

wow what a loving idiot.

he should be using butter.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Uhhh I think the most important part is just to do a lot of business lol

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Uhhh I think the most important part is just to do a lot of business lol

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Weatherman posted:

Hey guys remember zaurg?