Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Having a ridiculously fun time with the hamster ball at lower comp. Harassing the enemy team constantly, dropping in on them then whizzing off.. really fun play style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Vermain posted:

her numbers are honestly often deceptive, which is something i realized after reviewing more of my own footage and scoreboards. poison orb is incredibly good at inflating your damage stat if you just huck it down a corridor on rotation, and you can have a godly healing stat without realizing that half of it is from your RMB/ult personal healing and that your team is actually eating poo poo around you. you can end up with an impression of you doing way more for your team than you actually are

there's lots of situations playing kiriko where it's very, very obvious when i've saved someone's rear end or nailed a kill and far fewer when i'm playing moira, unless i get the opportunity to freefire coalesence into the entire backline for some reason
Yeah I feel like she's not actually that great as a DPS support because she can't really put out a burst of damage to get picks or instantly confirm kills. Damage orb will catch an extremely low health straggler every now and then but in general the supports that can shoot and/or have a burst combo are better at that (at least with some aim). Playing Moira as a DPS does work in trash tier but as opposing teams get better you're going to be forced to fade out (or die) before you can accomplish much. Her healing potential is big and people that focus too much on damage are often underperforming in this regard. If your team isn't taking that much damage, then fine, but if people are dying while you're throwing out damage orbs or right clicking when you still have heal juice, you're probably making a mistake. Because she can do so much healing, it's easy to think you're healing adequately just by having gold heals, but if you're not that much higher than the other support (depending on who it is) that might not be the case. Again though, it does depend on the team comp and how the game is going. Sometimes your team just doesn't need big healing numbers.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Placing a ball and RMB on a support or most offense characters kills them in short order. The ball also confirms kills that have otherwise gone to ground that you can't directly shoot with a gun. I'm sure a Kiriko with 100% headshot accuracy is a better damage pick but if you're a Kiriko with 100% headshot accuracy you're probably not at the level of play where your DPS are useless anyway.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bleck posted:

"Alright, get this idea I had for a character. She's a support, right? Probably one of the best supports as far as healing goes, really reliable and powerful healing that's really easy to do. But then, we also make her do a lot of damage. Like, rivaling most DPS characters amount of damage. Also, in case she's ever in danger, she has a button that instantly makes her invisible and gives her a huge movement speed boost, so she can basically teleport around."

"Sounds busted. What's the downside?"

"The downside, is that she's really easy to play as."

Moira has literally the lowest DPS out of all the characters in the game.

Winston has higher DPS than her.
Mercy has the same DPS as Moira's RMB + Orb and that's assuming Mercy never crits.

Moira is literally the only character that cannot stop an enemy Mercy from reviving.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 21, 2022

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Jack Trades posted:

Moira has literally the lowest DPS out of all the characters in the game.

Context is important, I think - it doesn't feel that way when you're down in tiers where your accuracy isn't hovering around 90% or whatever. Zenyatta's DPS is over twice that of Moira's, but if I miss one ball, that gap closes significantly, and if I miss two, her DPS is now higher than mine. In a one on one, if my math is right, assuming I have Bad Ball on her, I have to hit her with either four bodyshots immediately, or at least two headshots and then one more hit, within four seconds (two if she hits me with her own Bad Ball at the same time), or I die.

And, like, yes, I get that that's something that I can improve on, but it's specifically frustrating to know at that point that I'm not so much having an FPS duel with somebody at that point so much as they're in my general proximity and forcing me to do a skill check if I want to be allowed to continue to exist. I know this is one of those times where people are just gonna cite the abilities of professional players or just tell me to get good, but none of that makes playing against the character any less frustrating.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Placing a ball and RMB on a support or most offense characters kills them in short order. The ball also confirms kills that have otherwise gone to ground that you can't directly shoot with a gun. I'm sure a Kiriko with 100% headshot accuracy is a better damage pick but if you're a Kiriko with 100% headshot accuracy you're probably not at the level of play where your DPS are useless anyway.

The orb isn't going to do that much damage on a single target unless you're like in a room or something. And "in short order" for her RMB is slow by OW standards. Yeah she can definitely be tough for some players to deal with in lower ranks, but in general if you're trying to assassinate squishies they can make the Moira have to fade before she can do much damage so if she's playing flank Moira she probably isn't contributing that much meaningful damage and is also neglecting healing. The orb will catch people that flee around corners or behind a shield sometimes, but that can be kinda random and I think being able to shoot from range or having a burst combo has more overall damage utility. Lucio and Brig have close range burst combos (135-215 for Lucio depending on if any of the M1 burst crit which at close range isn't too hard, and I believe Brig's combo is currently 155), Zen just packs a punch in general (plus discord), Ana and Bap have hitscan to pick low health targets and contribute damage without frontlining (Bap especially can put out some meaningful damage quickly if he's within falloff range), and as you said a Kirko that can hit headshots is lethal (but not that great without headshots). I just think it's easy to Moira to contribute trash damage that gets healed since she's not able to apply a lot of quick damage directed at a specific target to help make impactful plays. It's kinda like how Sombras don't necessarily have great damage numbers but the damage they do do (💩) is often more impactful (e.g. compared to frontline DPS with big damage numbers that are pumping a bunch of damage that gets healed into a tank). And if you really want to take DPS matters into your own hand, you can kill people faster on heroes like Bap and Zen than you can with Moira. What she has going for her is applying her damage only requires some very loose tracking.

e: I'd say I think if you're on Ana or Zen and you get caught alone with a Moira and miss some shots (or sleep) that can be especially tough as they don't have an escape, but if the Moira is consistently playing that aggressively either just buddy up, which should shut her down, or swap to someone who has a way to escape to their teammates or someone you're more reliably able to chase her off with. In either case, that Moira is now not providing much value even if she continues to be a nuisance.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 21, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bleck posted:

Context is important, I think - it doesn't feel that way when you're down in tiers where your accuracy isn't hovering around 90% or whatever. Zenyatta's DPS is over twice that of Moira's, but if I miss one ball, that gap closes significantly, and if I miss two, her DPS is now higher than mine. In a one on one, if my math is right, assuming I have Bad Ball on her, I have to hit her with either four bodyshots immediately, or at least two headshots and then one more hit, within four seconds (two if she hits me with her own Bad Ball at the same time), or I die.

And, like, yes, I get that that's something that I can improve on, but it's specifically frustrating to know at that point that I'm not so much having an FPS duel with somebody at that point so much as they're in my general proximity and forcing me to do a skill check if I want to be allowed to continue to exist. I know this is one of those times where people are just gonna cite the abilities of professional players or just tell me to get good, but none of that makes playing against the character any less frustrating.

Yes, some characters perform better at lower ranks and some characters are performing better at high ranks.

If anything Pharah is a way WAY worse offender than Moira at lower ranks when it comes to aiming skill checks or dying.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Jack Trades posted:

Yes, some characters perform better at lower ranks and some characters are performing better at high ranks.

Okay, thanks for letting me know?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I can tell my dps mmr is appalling because i am devastating on pharah and no soldier or ashe can possibly keep me in check

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Moira damage orb is on the same level as Hanzo's arrows and Junkrat's entire kit as being the most annoying abilities in the game

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Im still smiling remembering the tank begging our team to not get headshot right out the door on circuit royale after spotting a hanzo right before our widow got domed

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

Moira damage orb is on the same level as Hanzo's arrows and Junkrat's entire kit as being the most annoying abilities in the game

I wish Moira's orb killed instantly and didn't take 4 whole seconds during which even the most paraplegic player could escape from it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I wish Moira's orb killed instantly and didn't take 4 whole seconds during which even the most paraplegic player could escape from it.

:same: except orisa's ult

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

novaSphere posted:

:same: except orisa's ult

I did some testing with Orisa since she's my favorite tank and her ult can actually guarantee a kill on a 200hp character assuming you let it charge until they walk up the edge of it's range...and don't have any movement speed buffs or shields.

At least it's better than it was in the beta where her ult couldn't even kill Zen.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jack Trades posted:

I did some testing with Orisa since she's my favorite tank and her ult can actually guarantee a kill on a 200hp character assuming you let it charge until they walk up the edge of it's range...and don't have any movement speed buffs or shields.

At least it's better than it was in the beta where her ult couldn't even kill Zen.

Just combo it with Sojourn nade and/or Mei ult!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Moiras orb, her Morb if you will,

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I liked it when they changed Moira's orb to a weakness effect, you couldn't spam it into chokes but had to think about how to use it.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Collapsing Farts posted:

No thank you, I will not.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

wild that blizzard tried to do something cool with moira and implemented and decided against it after testing it and also plowed ahead with a redesign of sombra that can hack the tank every 3 seconds from stealth

drewmoney
Mar 11, 2004

Hashy posted:

wild that blizzard tried to do something cool with moira and implemented and decided against it after testing it and also plowed ahead with a redesign of sombra that can hack the tank every 3 seconds from stealth

I have like 200 hours on Moria in ow1 and that debuff orb thing was no fun to use.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Collapsing Farts posted:

Shouting "it's morbin' time" as I aggressively fade on the Ana who's used her sleep early.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

dogstile posted:

Shouting "it's morbin' time" as I aggressively fade on the Ana who's used her sleep early.

https://i.imgur.com/EJiVrh5.mp4

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want the game to have more characters that are focused around doing something other than clicking heads.
There are a couple of tanks and supports but since Symmetra reworks all DPSs are about nothing but clicking heads and that's boring.

They should steal some of the ideas from Heroes of the Storm at least.
Give me Abathur in Overwatch or something.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Did people really complain so much about Symmetra or something? She was more fun when I could set up laser traps, permanent teleporters and use shields and crap. Now she's just... completely worthless

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So many people ITT talk about Moira being OP when she is probably the worst (but not bad, just avg) support in the game right now, assuming we are talking in the hands of a skilled player. Most of the damage she does is actually feeding the enemy healers ult charge, ESPECIALLY throwing blind orbs. She has very little in terms of sustained burst. She can output good AoE healing in a pinch, but having to balance left and right clicks in dire situations is a huge downside. The super jump is very nice and can get you out of a tight spot if you get dove, but any player who is competent is going to slap you in a duel on most other heroes. Yeah, you can beat a Cowboy who misses 4 out of every 5 shots, but you probably shouldn't even be taking that duel.

Mercy is also a little meh, but still has good synergy with certain heroes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yeah, Moira's big upside is being able to output huge amounts of healing but you really gotta work for it to manage your bar so you don't end up with caught in a team fight with no meter.

Being able to kill confirm DPS's gently caress ups and burn down enemy backline with your ult is a nice upside too but that's basically it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I really enjoy playing Moira, there's a rhythm to damage/heal/fade that's very satisfying. Damage orbs are for getting backline DPS to back off, not spamming chokes. I'd say the real star of her kit is fade, since mobilty is super important in OW. It's not as long range or safe as Kiriko's shadowstep, but it's far quicker and doesn't rely on having teammates nearby.

If they gave Ana a grappling hook though...

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
For some reason Cowboy Man has just clicked with me and I'm making GBS threads out damage with him now. I used to play him as a long range character and did really poorly but now I'm basically treating my revolver as a shotgun with really devastating headshots and I'm wrecking people

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

The problem with Moira has always been the lack of any utility. Her stats are a lie because every other character is doing some fight-winning ability instead of a percentage of stats. I guess the fight winning utility she has is cleave burst healing the whole team at once. So without the utility of healing 2 brawl tanks at once, her only other tricks are escape and beaming down low health genjis.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Moira had a brief thing in rushdown. You'd charge a big meaty wall of characters at the enemy and charge your ult in about half a fight, then win the first fight off of aggression and coalescence.

I like her though, she's not as good as the other healers but if i have to choose between getting loving obliterated by dive or playing Moira, i'll just play Moira. Solo Q players gravitate towards her for a reason.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Moira is fun

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021
Been gettin' more into the game and am knocking on the door of Diamond. Something about this game is just such a contrast of extremes. Its so satisfying to click heads and win a team fight and get the job done. On the other side its just absolutely infuriating to lose games in boneheaded ways or deal with the community in any fashion.

Queuing up again.

Moira chat: That character should be removed from the game or totally re-worked. Some of Blizzards design and balance decisions truly baffle me if their goal is to make a competitive FPS type game. See also Baptiste and Widowmaker.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jack Trades posted:

I want the game to have more characters that are focused around doing something other than clicking heads.
There are a couple of tanks and supports but since Symmetra reworks all DPSs are about nothing but clicking heads and that's boring.

They should steal some of the ideas from Heroes of the Storm at least.
Give me Abathur in Overwatch or something.

Sombra should just have Spy's knife instead of her weird SMG.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Javik the Seer posted:

See also Baptiste and Widowmaker.
I'm not actually sure what I'm supposed to be seeing there, especially with bap

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Javik the Seer posted:

Some of Blizzards design and balance decisions truly baffle me if their goal is to make a competitive FPS type game. See also Baptiste and Widowmaker.

Moira is not a problem at all in OWL though.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
snipers suck! no fun to play against in any game. get em out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hi Folks, played Overwatch a shitload at launch and just realized my accounts merged and I have all my skins. I quit playing when Brigitte was the new hero so i'm def rusty. Messing around in QP before going into comp and wondering what the best Sigma strats & maps are? I'm really loving his slow and methodical playstyle and skill shots, but really dont have a sense of when he is bad or when I'm the wrong tank for the map. Thinking of picking D.Va & Sigma as my mains, and Mercy, Reaper, Hanzo, and Moira as my back ups for when i can't tank. Did Reaper get a huge nerf? I thought for sure he'd be huge in this new meta since there's only one tank, but I barely ever seen him and I have been struggling to get kills as him. Did something change or are the new tanks just way beefier and can't get bodied by pellet spread as hard?

Also, im really bad at overwatch, so I don't really understand what Roadhog's role is now. Can he effectively solo tank with just thousands of health? What am I supposed to be doing if not setting up wombo-combos with my other tank?

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

Quotey posted:

snipers suck! no fun to play against in any game. get em out.

This. Since the dawn of FPS snipers have never ever EVER been fun to play against. In many games they have taken steps to make it a bit more dynamic like in TF2 they had to really charge their shot and you could see their laser sight. In other competitive games they will balance them with limited ammo, big recoil, slower move speed, and other "negatives" to reward a player that can handle them.

But in this game they took all of the most hated aspects of snipers and dialed them up to 11. Gave the sniper mobility, walls, a proximity mine, no recoil, the same health as other characters, and an ultra mobile grappling hook. Its like they said "what have players raged about over the last 2 decades of FPS, yeah lets put all of that in this game". Its just unfun. I know exactly what i'd do to balance it out but It'll be a huge wall of text for each character, but the way widow is in this game now is garbage. Always has been.

Countblanc posted:

I'm not actually sure what I'm supposed to be seeing there, especially with bap

WHy does a support character do more dps than dps characters by just holding down lmb? And why would any competitive game have any invulnerability mechanic EVER first of all, but have it not be an ultimate second of all. I know they were trying to make the game more dynamic and exciting for support players, but in a game already rife with ways to avoid dying, mitigate damage, and negate the shooting of enemies, this one is way too far imo. At the least Bap himself shouldn't be effected by it.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Good thing none of us here are playing OWL right?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Javik the Seer posted:

Good thing none of us here are playing OWL right?

If the game is being balanced for competitive play, then it should be taking it's cues frrom the top level.

Personally I think the focus on pro eSports was a loving mistake and now Blizzard are torn between top level balance and actually making a fun game for the majority of players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Moira is really bad at higher levels in fact.

Javik the Seer posted:

WHy does a support character do more dps than dps characters by just holding down lmb?

Moira STILL has the lowest dps out of all the characters in the game, actually.

With or without abilities, I did the math for both.