Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Strategically, any wide scale attack (like, on the whole nation, or even just a whole city) using the curse has got to work well enough the first time that you don't need it a second because something like that almost taking the whole Aldish nation and/or military out might be the one thing that would make the Vits Council undo the curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

If it's really that potent then the Blacktongues are wasting their effort, they could just bombard Alderode with flyers of Roger Foi-Hellick and watch them devolve into impotent rage.

I get the impression that the Blacktongues motivations are more about their research and pymary developments then genocide, so they are doing what they are for their own benefits and rewards, not because they want to whole scale wipe Alderode from the map.

It is a good point though and raises some questions on why the curse doesn't get exploited more often by Cresce and their soldiers. I think the current answer is that Alderode barely knows how it works, as such knowledge has been lost to time, and Cresce is almost entirely in the dark about it. This is why they are going through with all this business with Roger, Ruck, and the Blacktongues in the first place as I understand it.

GunnerJ is probably on the right track of them taking the approach of "lets figure this stuff out before we pull the trigger without things ironed out" as that was hinted at on the recent pages in so many words by saying "we aren't ready but it might be now or never". Whatever "it" is still remains to be seen.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

GunnerJ posted:

Strategically, any wide scale attack (like, on the whole nation, or even just a whole city) using the curse has got to work well enough the first time that you don't need it a second because something like that almost taking the whole Aldish nation and/or military out might be the one thing that would make the Vits Council undo the curse.

IIRC the curse is piggybacking some fundamental underpinnings of the dammakhert, so it might not be possible to shut it down without shutting down the whole thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Ash noted that Lem cut the kid off with "pissmop" because if he'd said it to his superior, Lem would have had to do something about it despite it being entirely etalarche based.

Grenzlan is INCREDIBLY vulnerable now, and it's an open question exactly how much Sonorie knows of the assassination plot. and whether Ruck just told her or whether he's enjoying being smug and cryptic

excited for wednesday

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the, Lem, the

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oxxidation posted:

the, Lem, the

what is this meme, anyway? it's singularly impossible to google

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaXigSu72A4

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

a classic

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I hate Lem so much.

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

Her calling Lem Daddy legit made me a bit sick to my stomach.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

day-gas posted:

Her calling Lem Daddy legit made me a bit sick to my stomach.

*papa

:negative:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 13, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Welcome to die end!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh what fresh hell is this

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

gotta say, i had like six guesses as to what the blacktongue scheme was, and this was definitely not one of them

Maur's their top Plodology Einstein, I guess we know why he's been hanging around the core of the conspiracy lately!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Zombies are boring, but I think this is probably just a distraction for whatever their real plan is.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Black Tongues likely need to get closer to the dammakhert pylons to actually work their mojo, so I'm guessing this is part of an attack. It might also be that they're trying to get the Alds to hastily enable the dammakhert without going through the full set of network protection procedures, so that they can easily get access for themselves.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Stretch goal: capture at least one secret keeper alive

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I suddenly remembered that, in one of those rare instances of Alderode and Cresce agreeing to common rules of war, plod soldiers are outlawed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

I suddenly remembered that, in one of those rare instances of Alderode and Cresce agreeing to common rules of war, plod soldiers are outlawed.

yeah, this is technically a war crime

Focus! Eliminate the plats.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That seems like a very silly thing to agree to.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Formspring posted:

[...] Plods were originally invented not for slave labour, not in a search for immortality, but in order to bolster Cresce's army and fight the Aldish. Then the Aldish figured out how to make plods and both sides had them. The practise became ridiculous when Black Tongues took to the field for both countries and you had dead Crescians turned by the Aldish to fight dead Aldish turned by the Crescians. Treaties were signed and plods were banned from warfare entirely. Practical Cresce saw something promising, however, and repurposed plods as labourers, eventually enabling them to ban slavery and enter a progressive boom. Meanwhile, the Ssaelit of Alderode are scripturally forbidden from any pymary to do with desecration of the dead, so they lobbied against plods in both the army and as a domestic workforce, and recycled labour never got off the ground up north.

[...]

The plods were fairly effective in combat. They had two modes, essentially, just like the labourer variety has today: simple command enactment and direct control. Plods could be given simple commands like "Kill with a sword anything in a red tunic" and they'd be pretty effective at it, pushing forward in spite of all injury, even decapitation (though this made it hard for them to see red tunics). For more complex maneuvers they could be directed by handlers who could at a distance change their behaviours, taking them past pymary barriers that would cook a living man in order to wipe out the enemy's wrights or simply marching them in front of murder holes in barricades and physically clogging the enemy's sights with bodies.

Plods weren't permanent soldiery and the decay factor was not a big deal. Plods needn't be trained so they were exceedingly expendable, and easily replaceable by stealing enemy casualties or recruiting their own dead soldiers (the ones who'd given permission prior to dying of course). Eventually the practise just got out of hand, there was public outcry on both sides because families weren't getting their dead back for burial, soldiers were finding it increasingly distasteful and morale-breaking to be surrounded by the dead, and there were sanitary concerns in the encampments. No one was terribly sorry to see the plods go after the treaty was signed.

Integrating plods into the workforce was a bit of a struggle after all the bad PR they got during their military ventures. The Queen at the time really believed in the concept though, and saw it as a solution for the country's labour needs. She pushed for it, the government started selling the idea via a strenuous propaganda campaign, and Recycled Labour was eventually accepted and saw great success. Occasionally you get a plod that will get a little twitchy, a little too hungry, and he might wriggle out of his handler's control briefly, but this doesn't really happen often enough that it's a concern. You'd think this whole system is a setup for an eventual zombie apocalypse story twist, but I promise it's not. Plods just work. They are a useful, effective pymary-driven technology in much of Kasslyne.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That seems like a very silly thing to agree to.
Combined with the above excerpt, it makes more sense than you'd think.

Ever wonder why (historically) a lot of armies wore vivid colors? So you could tell at a glance who was on your side. It's no lean feat, getting thousands of men to cooperate and coordinate in real-time, moving as a single unified force with unified directives. Bright colors, standard bearers, etc., was a mutually-beneficial arrangement that made organizing the chaos manageable. You stick out like a sore thumb, sure, but so do they, and being under fire didn't really matter since the issue was less getting sniped by expert bowmen and more a huge bloc of soldiers all firing "Generally" in your direction, hoping to hit you. So yes, I can see necromancers raising each other's war dead en masse as a bit of an administrative problem.

It doesn't sound like zombies make particularly clever combatants either, unless they're micromanaged, at which point you might as well send in living soldiers. Honestly, their most suitable use seems to be this update: a surprise terror tactic to decimate the enemy from within. Their use here, as a surprise terror tactic, makes perfect sense, but this isn't a traditional battlefield.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Grand scale warcrimes like this seem to be more indication that Sonorie wants this to be the last war with Alderode.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Using those crows as mask analogues also grants them a degree of deniability if the incident is inquired on further.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

TBF, I don't think organized rape and execution of the civilian populace with blatantly genocidal intent is something that everyone sat down and wrote up as 'formally speaking, this is okay' so I guess everyone's got their naughty pants on today.
Which is why I think 'quick! sic the zombies on the small, youthful and most vulnerable-looking targets while they look scared and helpless!' is such a thing in this strip because otherwise I'm not sure why any of us would look at this as even marginally nasty.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's not about what's morally worse.

Both sides conduct ethnic cleansings if given the chance; zombie soldiers just happen to be one of those things they both agreed not to do, so we're shifting from "this war is a regularly very brutal affair" showing how Alderode callously targets the civilian population as a matter of doctrine to "and now Cresce is being extra naughty" by employing mutually-banned weapons.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I don't want to get into a derail on real world analogues, but there's examples of states usually obeying some rules of war against their most hated foes, even while perpetrating much worse upon those same foes. Combat necromancy is the type of thing where, if neither side is really getting an advantage from its application and both sides are feeling pressure from within their own polity, there's room to reach some sort of convention against their use.

How long has Cresce and Alderode been in their Cold, sometimes Hot War?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

At least several centuries and possibly in the ballpark of a millennium, since Vits rule seems to be about that old and it sounds unlikely Gefendur neighbors would peacefully tolerate a (partially) Ssaelit state. I imagine Cresce would've been quite confrontational once stabilized from the wars that led to its unification, assuming Crescia didn't predate the fall of Aldish monarchy in the first place.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 19, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Turns out Cope answered my question as well as commented on Kasselynes laws of war on her tumblr recently:

quote:

quote:

Surely we past the point of worrying about esclation. I mean Alderode is trying to assasinate the Queen for the first time in centuries. Actually that reminds me how long have Cresce and Alderode been fighting?

Cresce and Alderode have been fighting for the entirety of Cresce’s existence. But it ebbs and flows, with long periods of chilly ceasefires and Cold War flavoured subterfuge and industrial espionage. One could tell some fascinating spy tales set during these eras.

And yes, Alderode could escalate, and so could Cresce in turn. This current skirmish doesn’t even qualify as a war. These countries have thrown the entirety of their technology and citizenry at each other in the past, permanently warping the khert itself in the throes of their fighting. Alderode hasn’t brought out its suicide vliegeng pilots, nor Cresce its napalm-spewing constructs.

There’s a reason there are rules of engagement now, haha. These lunatics have lit the world on fire in the past :)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Drakyn posted:

TBF, I don't think organized rape and execution of the civilian populace with blatantly genocidal intent is something that everyone sat down and wrote up as 'formally speaking, this is okay' so I guess everyone's got their naughty pants on today.
Which is why I think 'quick! sic the zombies on the small, youthful and most vulnerable-looking targets while they look scared and helpless!' is such a thing in this strip because otherwise I'm not sure why any of us would look at this as even marginally nasty.

even IRL there's a big difference between the everyday war atrocities that, at most, might get litigated if one side is so utterly defeated that the other can drag their leadership into a show trial, and the ones that will destabilize the country committing them or drag in unaligned nations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I wonder how much the Etelarche curse is pushing the Alderode forces a) into this war and b) to up their atrocity game. That's not to say that they're anything close to The Good Guys and that they wouldn't be doing these things to some extent, but we've seen how much mentioning THAT MEWLING CRETIN ROGER FOI-HELLECK's name is enough to send non-soud Aldish into a froth. Could the knowledge that he's being sheltered by the Crescians causing all levels of Aldish society to make completely unhinged decisions with respect to that nation?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Potentially! An established intended effect of the curse is leaving a deep, lasting hatred of its target that one simply accepts even if aware of its external nature - the one true unifying cause in all of Alderode is thus seeing Roger Foi-Hellick dead and all his works buried and forgotten. It's not unreasonable to believe that to some degree the curse could be having an influence at the top level and consequently on policy, tempered as it might be by the complexities of national affairs.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Potentially! An established intended effect of the curse is leaving a deep, lasting hatred of its target that one simply accepts even if aware of its external nature - the one true unifying cause in all of Alderode is thus seeing THAT FESTERING, PUSTULENT rear end PIMPLE ROGER FOI-HELLICK dead and all his works buried and forgotten. It's not unreasonable to believe that to some degree the curse could be having an influence at the top level and consequently on policy, tempered as it might be by the complexities of national affairs.

fixed that for you

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fuckload of pages tonight, START HERE

definitely for the best that Mikaila took the ride out, not sure how well she'd do against the crow-zombie apocalypse

E: On a reread: "A country so fractured and debased will collapse from within. And the days of using Cresce to delay it end now." So whatever they're doing, it's definitely going to crack open the Aldish civil war.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 21, 2022

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Turns out Cope answered my question as well as commented on Kasselynes laws of war on her tumblr recently:

Unsounded got one of them wonderful little settings where say, if some magic user accidentally, or intentionally, found a way to turn all air on the continent into fire, melting the ground into glass from sea to sea, it'd probably be the best of all possible endings. Probably the only true act of love, kindness and mercy you could grant to what few innocents there are in that poo poo hole.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well, at the very least, I would greatly appreciate it if Lem would die, as unlikely as that seems despite his predicament.

I wonder, is this truly the extent of their dammakhert-based attack or is there more to it?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
This is clearly a distraction.

RIP Mason. He seemed less awful than your typical Aldish soldier.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Runa posted:

Well, at the very least, I would greatly appreciate it if Lem would die, as unlikely as that seems despite his predicament.

I wonder, is this truly the extent of their dammakhert-based attack or is there more to it?

I think the zombies are very much a distraction from whatever the wrights are about to do with the beacon. I suspect speculation in here about manipulating the etarlache curse is dead-on. It's definitely been foreshadowed plenty.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bad Seafood posted:

Combined with the above excerpt, it makes more sense than you'd think.

Ever wonder why (historically) a lot of armies wore vivid colors? So you could tell at a glance who was on your side. It's no lean feat, getting thousands of men to cooperate and coordinate in real-time, moving as a single unified force with unified directives. Bright colors, standard bearers, etc., was a mutually-beneficial arrangement that made organizing the chaos manageable. You stick out like a sore thumb, sure, but so do they, and being under fire didn't really matter since the issue was less getting sniped by expert bowmen and more a huge bloc of soldiers all firing "Generally" in your direction, hoping to hit you. So yes, I can see necromancers raising each other's war dead en masse as a bit of an administrative problem.

It doesn't sound like zombies make particularly clever combatants either, unless they're micromanaged, at which point you might as well send in living soldiers. Honestly, their most suitable use seems to be this update: a surprise terror tactic to decimate the enemy from within. Their use here, as a surprise terror tactic, makes perfect sense, but this isn't a traditional battlefield.

I meant more along the lines of agreeing to not use a weapon your opponent is morally opposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

I think the zombies are very much a distraction from whatever the wrights are about to do with the beacon. I suspect speculation in here about manipulating the etarlache curse is dead-on. It's definitely been foreshadowed plenty.

Good point.

I look forward to seeing it in action.