Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
A couple of the ships from the different series should absolutely be obstacles on some maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Every unit should be replaced with Guntank

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

If guntank and gundam are in how can they not add guncannon

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Boxman posted:

I like the moment to moment gameplay of GunEvo so much more, but knowing I'll functionally never unlock all the suits is a huge turn off. I'm playing a lot more OW2 at the moment.

The map aesthetics are also extremely bland. The designs feel fine - I like how labyrinthine everything feels but how you can get to objectives very easily - but they all sort of collapse into an undifferentiated mass when I think about them.

At first I thought I liked the whole "everyone can sprint mechanic" but that and everyone having dashes means a lot of the engagements feel very samey. Like yes there are differences and you do have to approach different fights a bit differently but its so so so much more the same than how you approach fights in varied team comps compared to OW2. Ultimately the meta in an all DPS game is "who can dps the best" and I find that boring. The moment to moment gameplay would be ok if the netcode were better and I wasn't dying behind walls all the time or if I weren't being killed by a barbatos who on my screen I absolutely 100% managed to dodge in time but then got vacummed back into his charge attack.

And yeah the maps are really bad. The whole game looks very dated IMO but the maps especially.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

If guntank and gundam are in how can they not add guncannon

many people have been saying this

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That aside G-Evo's core gameplay hits me just right in a way that overwatch never did over the course of years.

A lot of deaths felt unfair in OW1 to the point where it's expected with certain matchups because hard counterpicking was core to the original design. Here, an unfair death stands out because deaths usually aren't.

The former was a lot more frustrating for me in the long run.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Runa posted:

That aside G-Evo's core gameplay hits me just right in a way that overwatch never did over the course of years.

A lot of deaths felt unfair in OW1 to the point where it's expected with certain matchups because hard counterpicking was core to the original design. Here, an unfair death stands out because deaths usually aren't.

The former was a lot more frustrating for me in the long run.

Honestly if this is your complaint with ow1, I am completely baffled as to how you think G-Evo is better. In OW there are a number of you "die" buttons buit they are almost all ultimates (save roadhog hook). But in G-EVO its not just the ults that are the death buttons. Barbaods, exia, marusai combos are all unfair deaths where they only need to land a single low cooldown ability on you to outright kill you. Or the one shot hitscan sniper rifle, that makes even Widow look balanced...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

because I have a dodge button

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm not being flippant this is a big difference in game feel

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

this games ftw. looking forward to the patch notes, hope they buff melee zaku

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I think the only unfair deaths i get that is not an ult is from the sniper. Everytime I die to a Barbatos my reaction is more "wow i hosed that up".
However, i also play in a region with low ping so that does help a lot.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I like that the Mahiroo can just kick Barbatos in the face

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

my hopes for the patch:

Melee zaku LMB doing triple digit damage

Mahiroo having a bigger clip size than 3 or more dmg and his skill not locking himself for 2 seconds

Exia ranged dmg nerfed or a dash removed.

Sniper HP nerfed to 600

Unicorn passive nerfed

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This thread just sounds like all the folks who aren't completely terrible at FPS games tried G Evo and finished the battle pass already / got the rank they cared about and then got bored.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Making Zaku’s left click better and his ult worse sounds like a sensible decision

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

This thread just sounds like all the folks who aren't completely terrible at FPS games tried G Evo and finished the battle pass already / got the rank they cared about and then got bored.

I am completely terrible at FPS games and finished the battle pass already. Mostly I came back to report that there's nothing after you finish the beginner missions. Once the eight days are up for the final tiers, it just goes the gently caress away and there's nothing to replace it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kwolok posted:

Honestly if this is your complaint with ow1, I am completely baffled as to how you think G-Evo is better. In OW there are a number of you "die" buttons buit they are almost all ultimates (save roadhog hook). But in G-EVO its not just the ults that are the death buttons. Barbaods, exia, marusai combos are all unfair deaths where they only need to land a single low cooldown ability on you to outright kill you. Or the one shot hitscan sniper rifle, that makes even Widow look balanced...

overwatch also has snipers, and kill combos (gently caress mcree). i'm ultimately disappointed in gundam evolution for their inclusion but overwatch certainly gets no points there.

unlike overwatch though gundam evolution's core mechanics are fun and engaging. i kinda wish there was a duel mode, the mobility and TTK really make the deathmatching part of gameplay both cerebral and intense.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Making Zaku’s left click better and his ult worse sounds like a sensible decision

Yea, his ult could use with a duration reduction in exchange for actually doing left click damage.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

overwatch also has snipers, and kill combos (gently caress mcree). i'm ultimately disappointed in gundam evolution for their inclusion but overwatch certainly gets no points there.

unlike overwatch though gundam evolution's core mechanics are fun and engaging. i kinda wish there was a duel mode, the mobility and TTK really make the deathmatching part of gameplay both cerebral and intense.

They literally changed mcree, they realized that a stun attack that leads to a guaranteed kill is super unfun to play against. He now has a magnetic grenade. You can still combo it pretty well to kill Squishies but you have to actually aim because there is no more stun.

Old McCree was literally what Barbados is now lol

And yeah overwatch has a sniper like gm sniper only she has a charge up mechanic and can only delete half the roster but is heavily countered by tons of things outside of just getting in her face, which is currently the only counter to gm sniper in g Evo.

Look if you like G Evo, that's great! But functionally it's balance and design is truly awful. Doesn't mean you can't still enjoy it though! I also had fun playing with cool robots!

They also need to give assimar a cooler ult that isn't just the same as zaku range.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 21, 2022

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, probably lol

Though actually I think it's a little more reliable than the Zaku IIR ult? The hitbox on the Zaku's ult seems to be a little fiddly, rear end Punch has active frames through the entire lunge.

E: On the topic of the Melee Zaku

I will say, I'm not really sure the Dozle needs to have it's M1 buffed. I wouldn't mind if it were, but when I run that suit the bulk of my damage comes from the tackle+big slash wombo combo (300+300 dmg). The ult definitely needs a duration nerf though. I think it's frankly fair that a suit, if it shimmies and dodges correctly, might be able to escape a Dozle's M1 spam following up the combo. It is genuinely rare for someone to get away after getting hit by both but if it happens, well good for them. Thanks to its relatively low damage of 85-per-slash, Dozle's M1 spam is less oppressive than the Exia's frankly ridiculous 3-knife burst damage and its kill combo is less of a surefire kill confirm on hit than the Barbatos combo. It's mostly a way to build Rage, apply pressure, and hopefully help your team get a kill. Well, until it goes into Rage Mode, then the M1 deals 180 damage per hit and is genuinely a menace.

And the Dozle, unlike the vast majority of suits, suffers no accuracy penalty from bunny hopping. Technically the Exia also has zero midair accuracy penalty but the timing and non-hitscan projectile qualities of its 3-burst makes landing your full burst in the air difficult. The hitbox on the M1 spam slash is generous enough that despite your low dps you wind up dealing a lot more damage to a lot more targets than you'd expect, meaning you build Rage very quickly. You can do a lot of work doing your combo, then jumping around like an rear end in a top hat smacking a cluster of people around, dashing and bunny-hopping around them. Suits without a high-rof M1 have a really hard time dealing with this unless they've got great flick aim. Especially when you're also hammering C to enter Rage the instant that meter fills so you don't get KO'd with a full meter.

Even without the ult, a good Dozle is a huge pain in the rear end to deal with. Or even just a Dozle who is decent with map knowledge, player pathing habits, and is otherwise kind of mid but can reliably catch enough people out to build Rage before dying even if nobody's dumb enough to shoot you while you're invuln. Exia's very flighty and can come at you from lots of angles. Barbatos is kind of feast or famine and, while you really don't want to give him a feast, he's easy to punish if you really focus on downing him rather than, say, the Sazabi next to him. A Dozle is just plain consistent and keeps the pressure up despite its damage being a bit on the low side.

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Oct 21, 2022

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gundam is a better game than Overwatch and a lot of the gameplay mistakes are things they cribbed from OW. The map aesthetics are bland and is something that made me not interested in the game during the network test period since you mostly feel like you're human sized but the actual design of the maps is better and map design was always OW's biggest weakness. I can't think of a single change OW made over the years that didn't make the game worse so hopefully Bandai doesn't repeat that mistake.

For balance changes that haven't been mentioned I'd say increasing the hitbox of Sazabi's tomahawk should be in there.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 21, 2022

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Upcoming balance changes are up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Weird decisions imo but guess we'll see

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont really get nerfing zaku ii melee's rightclick but its ult got dumpstered which fair enough

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I don't love the buff to Sniper, even if its not targeted.

Also reading those patch notes reminded me of one of my favorite things about the game - when the naming gets silly. No, the DOM doesn't have a rocket launcher, it has a Giga-Launcher DR1 Multiplex. Asshimar ultimate isn't heroic charge or anything, it's punch.

I realize this is all coming from broader lore (maybe? Does the Asshimar do a specific punch in Zeta?) But it's still pretty funny.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

We believe most connection issues faced during the initial launch period have been resolved, but we will continue to investigate and address the problems that cause some players to disconnect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEM2jvNliZM&t=1s

Happens to everyone I play with once a session minimum still lol

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I get that the balance and connection bugs are more pressing but it's pretty irritating to see no mention of Proton compatibility fixes!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Also regardless what the fixes are balancing solely around esports/"high level" play is always a mistake imo, though I have no real thoughts on any changes beyond seeing how they're thinking

Honestly didn't think Mahiroo's ult needed a buff though, it's strong as hell lol

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
One more beam rifle shot on RX-78 does not buff my ability to aim with it :(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"We acknowledge that melee units are a problem which is why we are not touching the worst one."

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

RBA Starblade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEM2jvNliZM&t=1s

Happens to everyone I play with once a session minimum still lol

Wanna bet that the secret was really just that servers were overloaded and Bamco didn't want to spend more for emergency capacity?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

"We acknowledge that melee units are a problem which is why we are not touching the worst one."

Nerfing Marasai but not touching barb is so funny.

RBA Starblade posted:

Also regardless what the fixes are balancing solely around esports/"high level" play is always a mistake imo, though I have no real thoughts on any changes beyond seeing how they're thinking

It's so dumb and every game does it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The sniper needed an extra bullet alright, just not in the magazine

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Groovelord Neato posted:

My favorite is still Destiny 2 year 1 when for a time even the esport gamelords they were explicitly tweaking for were telling Bungie that the changes weren't fun and they just wanted to do more cool space magic. Bungie didn't listen lol

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

patch notes posted:

As part of our investigation, we have confirmed that the disconnection with error code "0" that we have received several inquiries about may occur when your connection is unstable. If you can improve your connection environment, please try playing on a broadband connection.

It's almost as if the devs thought a free to play game wouldn't have folks trying to join matches on wifi in regional network infrastructures that aren't ultra dense like Japan or Korea :allears:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

Was just about to post this. "We found the Marasai had one combo that when performed in succession could kill any unit" <side eyes Barbatos two hit combo>

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There might not be a better barometer for skill in this game than which melee suit people are complaining about lol

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The melee suit I hate the most is Zaku II Ranged, what does that say about my skill?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The best melee unit is Guntank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Technically since bullets come into physical contact with their target, every unit is a melee unit