Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is Daken’s Fang costume the same as Sabertooth’s? It looks very similar but my eyes are old and bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Hell yeah, Kurt.

Though the end of Immortal makes me even more convinced that there's going to be a reset hit.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Kurt is carrying the event on his shoulders so hard right now,

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gologle posted:

Kurt is carrying the event on his shoulders so hard right now,

It's probably why I'm enjoying it so much

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I have no desire to read this week’s Wolverine. Would anyone care to give a high level summary or thumbs up/down?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This has definitely been a great era for Kurt.

I feel like this week's Immortal shows that if the Council really wanted to wipe out Orchis...well, they'd have to think a bit outside the box and indulge in some extremist tactics they wouldn't usually consider, but it's definitely doable. Kurt, with just the slightest bit of help, managed to get right up to the powerhouse figureheads of the group and temporarily lobotomize one! He was very determined, sure, and used the resurrection mechanics in a bit of a crazy way, but he did it. Honestly? After that kind of showing, it should be clear that Orchis only still exists at Krakoa's forbearance.

That said, has Xavier gotten powerful enough that he could do live backups to the sun now? Last time they needed Jean to meet him halfway.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

BrianWilly posted:

That said, has Xavier gotten powerful enough that he could do live backups to the sun now? Last time they needed Jean to meet him halfway.

Maybe Magik using her gates helped with the distance issue this time?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like this week's Immortal shows that if the Council really wanted to wipe out Orchis...well, they'd have to think a bit outside the box and indulge in some extremist tactics they wouldn't usually consider, but it's definitely doable. Kurt, with just the slightest bit of help, managed to get right up to the powerhouse figureheads of the group and temporarily lobotomize one! He was very determined, sure, and used the resurrection mechanics in a bit of a crazy way, but he did it. Honestly? After that kind of showing, it should be clear that Orchis only still exists at Krakoa's forbearance.

These are all good points but I'll forgive the hand-wavy things to get treated to badass Kurt of the indomitable will.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Maybe he's more powerful, maybe he's concentrating specifically on Kurt, who knows. But they've definitely been showing him grow more powerful recently, so it's probably just that.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Kurt is the person who is always willing to make a leap of faith, in every interpretation of that phrase, and I love him for it.

Got around to the Eternals focused AXE books. I'm not as hyped about them, but only because I'm a long time Nightcrawler fan, and sadly not every character can be Nightcrawler (at least not until Sinister gets his hands on him.) Still, they where very good. I have a lot more appreciation for Ajak now. She's still insane, but I can respect her "If my god isn't worthy of my faith, then I will make him worthy!" approach. Very sad to see what happened to the Earth machine.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I have no desire to read this week’s Wolverine. Would anyone care to give a high level summary or thumbs up/down?

Daniel Way:Romulus = Benjamin Percy:Solem

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I have 100% gotten to the "oh just loving finish up already" point in this crossover, despite its many great moments. Legion of X is one of the books that I've been unintentionally ignoring, and I'm definitely gonna have to go back and rectify that situation. Kurt is such a star and I laughed when Legion went Full Scottish for a moment. Uranos is, indeed, a numpty.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

It's another Logan/Solem team-up with the Murasama blades. Entirely missable, from what I remember.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

We Got Us A Bread posted:

It's another Logan/Solem team-up with the Murasama blades. Entirely missable, from what I remember.

I liked the last page only but other than that it's skippable, yeah. Here's the last page.

Speaking of books no one is reading, since when was Omega Red a cannibal?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was an energy vampire for a long time. that's cannibal adjacent. that's about it, really.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It annoys me how Moira has like three completely different looks (classic brunette and khaki coat, one-armed blonde in brown, and face on a robot) right now that the artists can't settle on

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Drawing cyborgs is hard. Look at Cam Hodge.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he was an energy vampire for a long time. that's cannibal adjacent. that's about it, really.

When is he going to start working in an office on the island?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/10/17/x-men-monday-175-x-me-anything-x-office/

Al Ewing posted:

I’m drawing a blank on getting notes that aren’t Britishisms, but I did fail to give an editorial note at the right moment and that’s why Nova is wearing a shirt in X-Men Red. My original intention was to have him topless except for the jacket. (In a different world where I was slightly more on the ball than I am, he’d be getting a lot of beefcake shots and the X-fandom would like him more as a result.)
:allears:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

"The most embarrassing was my second script, which was a Sabertooth story, which I had entitled SABERWULF. “Kieron,” asks Nick, “Is there a reason why it’s called Saberwulf?” To which I had to answer “…No.”"

Hah, I'm off down the bookies to put a grand on what title he'd use for a Batman or Black Knight story.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Reading on Unlimited so a little behind. I’m having trouble with the concept of “mutants before there were humans” in Marauders. And, I suppose, on Arrako.

Where are these mutants supposed to have come from if they’re not mutated humans?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Beerdeer posted:

Reading on Unlimited so a little behind. I’m having trouble with the concept of “mutants before there were humans” in Marauders. And, I suppose, on Arrako.

Where are these mutants supposed to have come from if they’re not mutated humans?

Mutants have x-genes. You don't have to be human to be a mutant (see: Broo and probably the lovely Skrulls that Alan Davis loved in his Uncanny run).

For what it's worth, I hate that explanation but it's probably the best one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Beerdeer posted:

Reading on Unlimited so a little behind. I’m having trouble with the concept of “mutants before there were humans” in Marauders

It's a bad story that will likely never be referenced again. Worry not your heart and mind about it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

I don't think there's any indication that the mutants that would become the Arakki where pre-human. They just lived separate from the humans.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Didn't love the Alex characterization today.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I kinda like the current hot mess vibes. The last team was too good at their jobs! They needed a disastrophe like Alex to keep them from getting complacent. :xd:

Iceman is hardly one to talk, too. If anyone wrote the book on "jawing at Alex," it would be Bobby Drake.

(Never forget pissgate)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
As of like half an hour ago I've read every X-Men comic, with an asterisk after every bc I didn't want to track down EVERY little Logan cameo, and I didn't reread the Avengers runs with Beast/Logan/Storm OR Ororo's stint in the Fantastic Four.

This was my little post-dissertation cooldown project and it was a lot of fun. I read a lot of maniac stories I would have never otherwise read and came to change how I read superhero comics pretty significantly. I really like Cable now. I would die for Betsy Braddock. I forgive Matthew Rosenberg.

I definitely do not recommend doing this but I'm glad I did it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How Wonderful! posted:

As of like half an hour ago I've read every X-Men comic, with an asterisk after every bc I didn't want to track down EVERY little Logan cameo, and I didn't reread the Avengers runs with Beast/Logan/Storm OR Ororo's stint in the Fantastic Four.

This was my little post-dissertation cooldown project and it was a lot of fun. I read a lot of maniac stories I would have never otherwise read and came to change how I read superhero comics pretty significantly. I really like Cable now. I would die for Betsy Braddock. I forgive Matthew Rosenberg.

Kudos! That's an epic task right there, holy moly. I've been plugging away at the Claremont run on and off for years, haven't even touched the 90s yet.

Becoming a bigger Cable fan does seem like a good side effect once I get further along. Though I do think he's cool.

Any favorite runs, arcs, years, wild data?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Finally, someone truly qualified to answer the question: whose X-Force is best X-Force

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

How Wonderful! posted:

I forgive Matthew Rosenberg.

Wait, hold on, let's not get that far. No amount of exposure to Chuck Austen and late Scott Lodbell should cause that sort of thinking.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Honestly he's not even in my top five worst runs on the flagship title, and I think he had a lot of strong tertiary stuff (Multiple Man, his brief Astonishing run, NM: Dead Souls...).

Alaois posted:

Finally, someone truly qualified to answer the question: whose X-Force is best X-Force

1.) Milligan
2.) Spurrier
3.) Moore
4.) Hopeless
5.) Nicieza

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
How Wonderful!: Were there any characters in X-Men in worse taste than Vindaloo?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Where’s Remender on that X-Force list?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Cloks posted:

How Wonderful!: Were there any characters in X-Men in worse taste than Vindaloo?

There's kind of a trans-panicy Shaw ancestor in Ben Raab's Hellfire Club mini and in general I think the x-books were rarely much better than any other comic in terms of making fat or ugly or disabled characters de facto bad or morally twisted. Leah Williams' X-Tremists was such a shock bc it wrote the Blob as an actual human guy with feelings and thoughts.

Oh there was also a guy from Scott Lobdell's Excalibur fill-ins who really sucked. He was a Wakandan who could turn into a big caricature of an African mask and it's just a really weird racially dodgy story overall.

There was also a brief period where there were TWO mutants with bed-wetting oriented backstories running around, which is maybe not "in poor taste" so much as just really weird-- Onyxx the guy who looked like Rockslide but with a Juggernaut helmet, and some nobody called Washout who segues from a one-off cameo in X-Statix to a recurring role in Frank Tieri's very bad Weapon X.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Where’s Remender on that X-Force list?

Kind of near the bottom. I like it better than Humphries and Brisson and the weird disposable Liefeld-only mini but that's about it. It's not awful, and it's often very pretty, but I think aside from Betsy and Fantomex Remender has few ideas about the characters. Dark Angel Saga is intermittently great, the Otherworld arc is lovely to look at, other than that I found it pretty insubstantial. I liked it but I didn't love it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There was a time when artists loved to have Onyxx in the background of things and it was very confusing as someone restarting comments to wonder why Rockslide was wearing that helmet and not doing anything.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I'm a sucker for Remender's X-Force run because I think it does a pretty good job in addressing violence in a mainstream superhero comic. It's the only version of Deadpool I've ever really liked. Also, Genesis is a great character (built upon by Aaron) that's gotten the shrift in the Krakoa Era because I guess the idea of what-if-Apocalypse-wanted-to-be-Superboy doesn't quite work when Apocalypse isn't the ultimate x-villain any more.

Since we're asking... How Wonderful, what were the big surprises in the read? What were the expected bad things that were good? What were the things you regarded as "good" (or had previously liked) that didn't hold up?

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

I'm confused by this week's X-Men (not sure how long we use spoilers for new releases so being safe the exposition page said that they made a mistake by resurrecting Laura after Synch escaped, the reasoning being that she wasn't actually dead.

But we saw her die right at the vault door. She sacrificed herself so Synch could make it. Are they trying to say that was actually Darwin? Or did Forge find a clone that the Children made?

Before that exposition page I assumed that Synch had found Darwin who had just evolved into a Laura-type to survive, but that sounds dumb now.

Can someone explain what I'm missing?

Edit: Also, how can Scott be upset that Alex is on the team? Sure, Forge nominated him as a gently caress-you but Alex still had to make his case and all of the mutants still vote, right? She it's not on Forge OR Alex

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 21, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

Honestly he's not even in my top five worst runs on the flagship title, and I think he had a lot of strong tertiary stuff (Multiple Man, his brief Astonishing run, NM: Dead Souls...).

1.) Milligan
2.) Spurrier
3.) Moore
4.) Hopeless
5.) Nicieza

nodding respectfully at this list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm confused by this week's X-Men (not sure how long we use spoilers for new releases so being safe

We don't use spoilers in discussion threads.