Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Excited to one day post about opening a combined coffee/bike shop.

I'll make millions!

I don't think I ever saw someone getting coffee at Revolution Bike and Bean, but they're still around so maybe not the worst idea ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I will use the heat of my Bitcoin miners to bake my donuts. Can't lose.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Potato Salad posted:

This whole "it was never my dream but I'll get rich anyway" poo poo is reminding me of a guy I knew who retired from a massively successful career in IT -- only to lose almost everything over the next five years trying to run a ranch.

This stuff is hard

I want to know more about that plan.

Is “retiring to open a ranch” like the south-west version of “retiring to open a BnB”?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Epitope posted:

I don't think I ever saw someone getting coffee at Revolution Bike and Bean, but they're still around so maybe not the worst idea ever

:ssh: Those coffee and bike shop places are still in business because they sell weed, too. :ssh:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

lifg posted:

I want to know more about that plan.

Is “retiring to open a ranch” like the south-west version of “retiring to open a BnB”?

Basically. The difference is that you can usually at least break even from the federal agriculture subsidies (if you aren't a complete idiot and trying too hard to make your cowboy dreams come true).

EDIT:

I'm trying to find the article, but coming up blank. But there was a piece a while back about how the Texas Longhorn breed was making a comeback specifically because of folks who were ranching as a hobby in retirement. The longhorn isn't great for commercial ranching, it's a lot thinner and not as quick to mature as many other breeds; but if you're a dentist who wants to have one-to-four head of cattle on the ranch you bought for your retirement, the longhorn is a great choice. It's pretty hearty (thus less likely to end up dead when you aren't giving it all the attention it needs) and gives you a million Texas Points when you show it off to visitors.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 20, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Epitope posted:

I refuse to believe the bike/coffee shop trope can be successful.

LanceHunter posted:

:ssh: Those coffee and bike shop places are still in business because they sell weed, too. :ssh:

Oh. Ooooooooh.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I don't know why combination X/coffee shop seems so weird to people. A basic coffee counter setup isn't that expensive if you're already paying a lease and building out a whole place for the other business that brings in foot traffic. It's one extra employee for maybe one or two shifts and it's not like baristas cost brain surgeon salaries.

Book and grocery stores have had attached coffee counters for like 20 years now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You really don't see the difference between stuffing a coffee bar in a book store or grocery store vs a bike shop?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Plus it’s never a couple cans of drip coffee and danishes bought from the bakery down the road, it’s espresso and poo poo.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Oh. Ooooooooh.

Looking at their images on the google listing, that place basically got rid of the coffee bar. But they put it in their name, so now there's a sign that says "free coffee with ANY purchase" which I assume is the equivalent to the type of coffee the auto repair shop gives out in their waiting room.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Residency Evil posted:

Excited to one day post about opening a combined coffee/bike shop.

I'll make millions!

There was one in Denver, I think.

It did fairly well, but I found them loving insufferable. The ordering system was so complicated that I had no idea what I was doing, and what I got tasted like dirt.

My partner went in there once and asked for a triple shot espresso. I warned him it sucked, but OK. They can't do that. It's either double or quadruple!

We walked out.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I could see bike shop employees being really into a nice espresso machine for their downtime.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

blackmet posted:

There was one in Denver, I think.

It did fairly well, but I found them loving insufferable. The ordering system was so complicated that I had no idea what I was doing, and what I got tasted like dirt.

My partner went in there once and asked for a triple shot espresso. I warned him it sucked, but OK. They can't do that. It's either double or quadruple!

We walked out.

If it's the Denver shop I was thinking about, it closed down. I think they had beer too

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cassius Belli posted:

Relevant: here's the coffee shop version of the infamous Toronto Restaurant Guy article.

quote:

The dream of running a small cafe has nothing to do with the excitement of entrepreneurship or the joys of being one’s own boss—none of us would ever consider opening a Laundromat or a stationery store, and even the most delusional can see that an independent bookshop is a bad idea these days.

Running a laundromat sounds like having a successful vending machine business that also can smell like fresh laundry.

https://martinray.com/p-33942-key-statistics-laundromat-investors-should-know.html

quote:

There are currently about 35,000 laundromats nationwide.
Coin laundries can range in market value from $50,000 to more than $1 million.
Coin laundries generate cash flow between $15,000 and $300,000 per year.
The laundromat industry sees about a 95% success rate.
Laundromat businesses average between 20-35% ROI.
About 36% of laundromat investors consider their store a part-time job, while 63% consider it a full-time job.
Start-up cost range between $100,000 and $300,000.

I wonder if that success rate means "doesn't close after one year" or "1 in 20 dryers will gently caress up your clothes"

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

GoutPatrol posted:

Running a laundromat sounds like having a successful vending machine business that also can smell like fresh laundry.

https://martinray.com/p-33942-key-statistics-laundromat-investors-should-know.html

I wonder if that success rate means "doesn't close after one year" or "1 in 20 dryers will gently caress up your clothes"

Some googling suggests that number comes from a single lender's statement:

quote:

Speed Queen laundromat success rate is the number of NOT charged off loans per laundry divided by total numbers of loans originated from January 2001 through June 2013, based on experience of Speed Queen Financial Services.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Speed Queen Financial Services

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

senrath posted:

Some googling suggests that number comes from a single lender's statement:

Speed Queen is a brand of commercial washers and dryers, so I would assume they have a financial interest in people opening laundromats.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Have you ever seen a closed down laundromat?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

there was a bike shop / coffee in the morning, wine/beer in the evening place near me that shut down ~5 years ago. i just went to look and apparently someone bought their old url because they wanted to open the same type of place w/ the same name but it's in atlanta now.

bike + coffee seems not uncommon in the bay area though

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Maybe this is the Seattle area talking but I cannot imagine how it's possible to lose money running a coffee shop unless you open it somewhere where nobody either lives or works. There are upwards of 15 coffee shops within 5 minutes of my house and every one of them has a line at all times, including the one that's inside a dead bookstore inside a dead mall.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Elephanthead posted:

Our neighborhood laundromat burned down :(

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cerekk posted:

Maybe this is the Seattle area talking but I cannot imagine how it's possible to lose money running a coffee shop unless you open it somewhere where nobody either lives or works. There are upwards of 15 coffee shops within 5 minutes of my house and every one of them has a line at all times, including the one that's inside a dead bookstore inside a dead mall.

I watched one die once, and the owner was very BWM. young person, would party with the staff a lot, the staff sold drugs at the store, it was in a bad location, all sorts of issues, but it was fun while it lasted LOL.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Elephanthead posted:

I saw one yesterday

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I have seen two closed down, but there's a big loving asterisk to it because SF bay area. They probably sold off to someone for like $22M a pop. :lol:

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Cerekk posted:

I'm in Seattle and there are a bunch of the independent drive through espresso places that are open but never seem to have people when I bus by on my way to work through Ballard/Fremont (densely populated areas for non Seattle goons), in the 7am hour. Starbucks always has a long line though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Residency Evil posted:

Oh. Ooooooooh.

I know of two in my area that have been around for at least 5 years. One of them is where I tend to pickup common parts (tubes, co2 for pump) for my bike.

Seems like it’s working out?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I'm in Seattle and there are a bunch of the independent drive through espresso places that are open but never seem to have people when I bus by on my way to work through Ballard/Fremont (densely populated areas for non Seattle goons), in the 7am hour. Starbucks always has a long line though.

Those drive thru espresso places here are often very exploitive, the whole situation sucks https://exoduscry.com/articles/seattles-bikini-baristas-coffee-stands-serve-up-sexual-harassment/

There are other, longer articles that go into more detail, but this one I'm sharing because it's from just a few months ago, it's still a big problem.

There's probably some bad with money in that story, but it's mostly just creepy men.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chainclaw posted:

Those drive thru espresso places here are often very exploitive, the whole situation sucks https://exoduscry.com/articles/seattles-bikini-baristas-coffee-stands-serve-up-sexual-harassment/

There are other, longer articles that go into more detail, but this one I'm sharing because it's from just a few months ago, it's still a big problem.

There's probably some bad with money in that story, but it's mostly just creepy men.

uh, there are plenty of drive through coffee places that have their baristas in normal clothing

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

rufius posted:

I know of two in my area that have been around for at least 5 years. One of them is where I tend to pickup common parts (tubes, co2 for pump) for my bike.

Seems like it’s working out?

Well yeah dealing drugs seems to be an okay venture. :v:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

LanceHunter posted:

Basically. The difference is that you can usually at least break even from the federal agriculture subsidies (if you aren't a complete idiot and trying too hard to make your cowboy dreams come true).

EDIT:

I'm trying to find the article, but coming up blank. But there was a piece a while back about how the Texas Longhorn breed was making a comeback specifically because of folks who were ranching as a hobby in retirement. The longhorn isn't great for commercial ranching, it's a lot thinner and not as quick to mature as many other breeds; but if you're a dentist who wants to have one-to-four head of cattle on the ranch you bought for your retirement, the longhorn is a great choice. It's pretty hearty (thus less likely to end up dead when you aren't giving it all the attention it needs) and gives you a million Texas Points when you show it off to visitors.

This is also actually not that BWM, at least in Texas, where raising cattle is one of the activities that exempt your land from local property taxes, which can be quite high as Texas has no income tax and independent school boards funded by those property taxes. And it's easier, less impactful on the aesthetic of the land, and has fewer barriers to entry/paperwork than others, like farming or wildlife preservation use. So if you've bought your little fifty acres off a creek you're gonna call a "ranch," it actually makes tax sense to have a few head on it.

Also, like Lance says here, longhorns are pretty tough and so can generally survive folks not really knowing the ins and outs of stockmanship.

Re: bike and coffee shops, there's quite a successful one in Austin. However, they're 1) really good at both the bike and coffee parts of the business, 2) part of a small group that also has a coffee and beer bar and a craft brewery and cocktail joint, and 3) are in Austin, so yeah. Good on them for doing well (I'm actually working through a bag of beans they roasted now) but it's not a very replicable situation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Overspent on my vacation. Need advice on best way to pay it off.

This sub seems pretty non-judgmental, so thanks in advance.

I went on a vacation just recently and I had saved up about $6k to account for it. I went a little crazy though and I spent about 9k, which was more than I was expecting. I have until the end of the year to pay it all off as the person is very understanding.

I bring home about $1,300 a month after mortgage payment. No real bills besides that. (those are handled by my wife and I's mutual account, explanation at the bottom why I'm not including that)

I have about $4,000 in credit card debt. I don't care about paying that off this year, I will pay that off with my tax return next year. Just don't want to add excessively to it.

I have about $13,000 actively in the market in my brokerage account, and about $800 just sitting there not invested. I really do not want to touch my brokerage because obviously selling anything at this point in time would be a huge eye roll.

Is there anything I could do to kind of gain at least a little bit off the cash I have right now? I still will be able to pay off the vacation amount at least by the end of the year it looks like but I'm looking for anything to ease the pain a little bit since I have some time.

I have a quite a bit of a collection of retro video games, I was thinking about maybe selling some off, though it does make me cringe quite a bit to think about doing that. But it is an option.

I am not including my wife's take-home pay in this calculation because this vacation excess spending was 100% my spending on myself and I assured her that I would not use her money to pay this off. And she has playfully assured me that she's never going to let me live this down.

quote:

quote:

Wow, so you make 1.3k/month, have 4k in credit card debt, and just went on a 6k vacation that turned out to be 9k without your family? I'd get my priorities in line first, that's my advice. You don't seem to care about your financials to be able to go on vacations without harming your future self.

I guess I take back what I said about the non judgmental part.

I do not make 1.3 k a month. That is after my mortgage. Which I pay extra on.

I went on vacation with my family, not by myself. The excess was spent on something I enjoyed myself, which is why I said my wife's money would not be involved. She was okay with it, and she still had fun doing other things.

quote:

Why do you pay extra on your mortgage if you are $7k in debt ($4k of which probably has much higher interest than your mortgage)

quote:

quote:

If you are getting enough back to pay 4k of credit card debt, change your W4 so you start getting that money in your checks now instead of waiting for the government to return your overpaid money. Ideally you should be getting close to no return.

Yeah I do realize that I'm basically giving the government interest free loan, but the hassle to me was way less worth it. But I will definitely look into that now. Thanks.

quote:

quote:

No, it's just more of the fact that I've heard horror stories of people claiming wrong and then they end up owing the government a bunch of money when tax season comes around, and as you can tell I don't make the best of decisions with my disposable income so I don't want to have to owe the government money when I probably wouldn't have that money, etc etc. I just felt like it was safer to just give them the interest rate loan and just have them owe me, that way it's not on me ever.

But you ended up owing a bunch of money to several people anyway so…

quote:

quote:

You need to take responsibility for your financial mistakes. Liquidate $3k of the brokerage funds and pay this person back today. It’s a small amount so you won’t lose that much. May also get a tax deduction from the loss if you bought in recently.

I'm not opposed to that idea, but I just want to clarify, it wasn't a "mistake". I was having a good time and my wife approved of what we were doing, and if you calculate it out I'm good to pay this guy by the end of the year without taking on any extra debt.

He was adamant that he is flexible with the payment, he realizes that people get out to the area we were at and then want to have more fun so he doesn't care really when he gets the money this as long as he gets it.

OP says the person who loaned him money isn't a family member, which makes it sound like he's borrowing from the mob.

quote:

I’m sorry but who is this person that’s shelling out money to people with no timeline for payback? This sounds so suspicious.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/MarketRebels/status/1583461370879938563

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pretty sure this was the thread that was talking about I-Bonds a while ago.

If you want to get one at 9.62% get on that poo poo right. now. With the CPI coming out they're slashing the rate on the bonds to 6.48% on November 1.

I have no idea how the CPI coming in at 8% and change means the ibonds go two points lower than that, but I'm not a fancy economist either. Still, get in while the getting is good.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
People who feel FOMO are dumb as hell since what's really going on is money laundering via cheap plastic bullshit.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can't wait for that Beanie Baby divorce picture to be recreated with these plastic McDonalds toys.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

withak posted:

Can't wait for that Beanie Baby divorce picture to be recreated with these plastic McDonalds toys.

I'm sure they will hold their value. Remember when there were literal riots at McDonald's for the Szechuan sauce and it was being sold for $400 per packet on ebay?

Those held their value and they still sell at... *checks ebay*... $3.99 per packet.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pretty sure this was the thread that was talking about I-Bonds a while ago.

If you want to get one at 9.62% get on that poo poo right. now. With the CPI coming out they're slashing the rate on the bonds to 6.48% on November 1.

I have no idea how the CPI coming in at 8% and change means the ibonds go two points lower than that, but I'm not a fancy economist either. Still, get in while the getting is good.

Thanks for the reminder, I'd been forgetting to do this.

However, holy poo poo, this is the dumbest interface I've ever used:

You pick a strong password, which means it's a jumble of letters and characters, but you can't just paste it into the password field. No. You have to click on the buttons one at a time. But that's okay, they simplify things by making your strong password case-insensitive.

Then there's this.

Hit 'back,' and you're logged out.

loving geniuses.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I mean, it's just typical lowest bidder government contract poo poo.

If you use developer mode you can remove the readonly="readonly" from the password field and use your password manager to fill it in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The mobile is also a buggy overlay. DO IT ON A PC. My wife hosed hers up and it was a six hour wait on tech support to un-gently caress it. They’re getting slammed.

The alternative was to get something notarized at her bank and mail that in with a 13 week turn around.

System is terrible all around but we got it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

OP says the person who loaned him money isn't a family member, which makes it sound like he's borrowing from the mob.

It sounds like the person loaning the money is also the person he is paying for the activity

quote:

And I just want to say that me spending more than the 6K I had was not an insult to the person providing the service when I was on vacation. It was agreed upon that I would be able to pay the full balance over time over the next year, but I gave myself the deadline of by the end of the year, so that's the difference.

What's he doing while on vacation with his wife, that she doesn't join in on, that unexpectedly cost an extra 3K?