Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Love Tot. Paid the ridiculous price for the iPhone version, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kgibson
Aug 6, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Has anyone noticed Google Maps going to poo poo over the past two weeks or so in Safari? Ran fine before that, now it doesn't scroll or smooth well and street view is pixelated / pans slower than hell.

I've noticed this, too, and it seems really bizarre? It's absolutely awful and sometimes basically unusable.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Probably a Google "enhancement" to get people on Chrome

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/10/21/resident-evil-village-mac-launch/

Resident Evil: Village will be available on the Mac App Store on October 28th.

All that's needed to play is an Apple Silicon equipped Mac computer running macOS Monterey or Ventura.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

101 posted:

Not sure if this covers what you want, but I've been using Tot since it came out recently. Perfect for cases when it's just something dumb and ephemeral that I only need to keep for a short while. It's made by Iconfactory, so it's got good pedigree behind it.

Just sat in my menubar, suiting my needs.

I forgot I bought this. I'll give it a shot thanks!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

doingitwrong posted:

Love Tot. Paid the ridiculous price for the iPhone version, even.

I also love Tot and bought the overpriced iPhone version - having easily accessible "scratch" notes across my iPhone and MacBook are invaluable.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Gay Retard posted:

I also love Tot and bought the overpriced iPhone version - having easily accessible "scratch" notes across my iPhone and MacBook are invaluable.

Interesting strategy to have a free Mac app and a pretty extortionately priced iPhone app. Wonder what the thought process is there vs having them both just be half the cost of the iPhone version.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

101 posted:

Interesting strategy to have a free Mac app and a pretty extortionately priced iPhone app. Wonder what the thought process is there vs having them both just be half the cost of the iPhone version.

I can't think of the apps off the top of my head, but I've encountered this a few times over the past couple of years.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

101 posted:

person likes the free mac version but wants to sync their stuff on the go so they pay to "upgrade" to mobile syncing by buying the ios app

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Last Chance posted:

person likes the free mac version but wants to sync their stuff on the go so they pay to "upgrade" to mobile syncing by buying the ios app

but I would happily pay money to use it, but I have zero interest in an iPhone version. It's not how I use it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

101 posted:

but I would happily pay money to use it, but I have zero interest in an iPhone version. It's not how I use it

Congratulations, you won capitalism, along with all of the people who are able to happily live with an 8GB/256GB Air long term.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If the Mac app was $20 and the iPhone app free we wouldn’t the having this conversation. People just assign zero value on iOS apps for some reason.

$20 is not “overpriced” for an app just because it’s on the phone.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

FCKGW posted:

If the Mac app was $20 and the iPhone app free we wouldn’t the having this conversation. People just assign zero value on iOS apps for some reason.

$20 is not “overpriced” for an app just because it’s on the phone.

I'm an iOS developer so I feel like I'm coming from a place of good faith. $10 for each feels like much fairer pricing

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

101 posted:

I'm an iOS developer so I feel like I'm coming from a place of good faith. $10 for each feels like much fairer pricing

i dunno maybe maybe not i dont use the app on either device but calling $20 for an app "extortionate" is strange

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Waifu Radia posted:

i dunno maybe maybe not i dont use the app on either device but calling $20 for an app "extortionate" is strange

$20 for an app is not extortionate. I find $20 for a sticky note taking companion app rather extortionate.

They can price it however they want. I just think it's an interesting pricing strategy worthy of discussion

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Mercurius posted:

... but the other thing that people will notice is that it's very pushy about software that installs stuff that either runs in the background or starts at login.

Can you go into more detail on this? What do you mean 'pushy'?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

binarysmurf posted:

Can you go into more detail on this? What do you mean 'pushy'?
It throws up notifications that don’t time out about anything that gets added to launch at startup/login or run in the background when you install or run software.

It’s actually a very good security feature for most people but it’s also very in your face.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

101 posted:

$20 for an app is not extortionate. I find $20 for a sticky note taking companion app rather extortionate.

They can price it however they want. I just think it's an interesting pricing strategy worthy of discussion

does it sync the data across apps? if so like, again i dunno that i'd call it extortionate. you're not being put over a barrel there, there's a clear service you're paying for. idk

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I think the $20 of Tot and doing it on the iPhone, especially, was a specific move to ensure they had a relatively small number of users who definitely wanted what the vision of Tot is, rather than getting a larger pool of users who might generate more support burden, ask for scope creep etc.

Since the culture of iOS app sales is so firmly $0.99 having a definitive $20 app weeds out a lot of customers.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Does Tot offer a subscription? This is probably for all those people who say I’d rather pay X amount for a lifetime of the app or whatever. Well this is Iconfactory saying here you go, give us $20 and you’re set with no sub.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Skeezy posted:

Does Tot offer a subscription? This is probably for all those people who say I’d rather pay X amount for a lifetime of the app or whatever. Well this is Iconfactory saying here you go, give us $20 and you’re set with no sub.

Nope. Free on Mac. $19.99 one-time purchase on iOS. $1.99 on Apple Watch.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bueller? Bueller? Ventura? Bueller?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

It's out now. Happily volunteering my macbook on day 1 to see if it gets bricked

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Big Sur 11.7.1 is out as well.

quote:

macOS Big Sur 11.7.1 — Restart Required

This update provides important security updates and is recommended for all users.

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

It's out now. Happily volunteering my macbook on day 1 to see if it gets bricked

Any updates from the RC?

It is not showing up for my Ventura dev laptop or my 12.x Mac mini.

edit. Guess I just had to wait a bit, it showed up for my 12.x mini but nothing for my dev laptop. So I assume the RC is the same as the final build.

badjohny fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 24, 2022

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Monterey 12.6.1 has appeared as well (1.51 GB download).

Violator
May 15, 2003

Hoping I can use Open Core to get Ventura running on my Late 2015 iMac. I wish Apple would decouple their app updates from OS updates because having to hack my OS to get the new version of Mail that has actual functioning search is bullshit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Safari 16.1 also available for Big Sur / Monterey users, though minus the Ventura-specific features.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Violator posted:

Hoping I can use Open Core to get Ventura running on my Late 2015 iMac. I wish Apple would decouple their app updates from OS updates because having to hack my OS to get the new version of Mail that has actual functioning search is bullshit.

Deffo possible but bear in mind you'll need latest OCLP 0.5.0 nightly build, latest was last night I think.. 0.4.x only good for BS/Monterey at the moment.

Dortania also posted an entire Issues post detailing how Ventura and pre-V Macs aren't agreeable.. from what I read it's like Apple went out of their way to fix Ventura so it wouldn't boot / work on older models.

Dortania posted:

With the initial developer beta, we're seeing many changes to the OS that affect our work with OpenCore Legacy Patcher. Some of these include:

Removal of all pre-Kaby Lake models
Removal of pre-AVX2.0 dyld shared cache
Removal of on-disk binaries for kexts in /System/Library/Extensions
Removal of Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake, and AMD GCN 1-3 graphics stack
Removal of UHCI/OHCI USB stack
Removal of USB Maps for older units
Removal of Intel Ethernet support
Removal of Pre-Force Touch Trackpad support
Library Validation and AMFI changes
Boot issues on MacPro6,1
Broken Power Management on Ivy Bridge and older
Broken Wireless Patches for legacy Wifi Cards

Violator
May 15, 2003

Well gently caress me, that sucks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy moly, I read nothing about Ventura going in and I’m trying real hard to not just be the guy that complains about everything needlessly, but I really hope the new settings formal isn’t indicative of a lot of UI changes in this OS because.. I mean, why do I even have a big screen if we’re just going to start making narrow iOS interfaces.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They started it with Big Sur and it’s absolutely their end goal.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Trip report: installed Ventura on my 2020 M1 Air and it seems to be running fine. No issues with apps or sound, even Bitwig (4.3.8; haven't upgraded to 4.4 for other reasons) and Kontakt 7 seem to be playing nice.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

some kinda jackal posted:

Holy moly, I read nothing about Ventura going in and I’m trying real hard to not just be the guy that complains about everything needlessly, but I really hope the new settings formal isn’t indicative of a lot of UI changes in this OS because.. I mean, why do I even have a big screen if we’re just going to start making narrow iOS interfaces.

It's a legit complaint (I, too, dislike the wonky resize). I haven't activated Stage Manager; I don't really need that feature set. I'll be using Continuity Camera at some point, but only when I get a (cheaper than what's available) mount. Other than that, I'm not seeing any glaring differences between Ventura & Monterey. Feels like the same OS outside of the Settings app.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Got Ventura running on an 11-inch MBA with 8 GB RAM that was updated to Monterey 12.6.1 first, then applied the 0.5.0 nightly build of OCLP.

Running with WiFi, posting from it and Safari 16.1 right now. Runs reasonably well!

Violator posted:

Haven't seen anyone with an iMac Late 2015 post yet, but people with Mac Pro 5,1s and 2012/2013 MBPs are reporting success on the MRF forums

I believe the only machine not spoken for is the Trash Can, that will have to wait but it should eventually happen as someone was kind enough to donate a Trash Can to the OCLP developers who now can use it to figure out booting on the 6,1.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 25, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just tacking on to my Settings thought from earlier. It feels like in its present form it shouldn’t be a window on the desktop, but rather it should just be a dropdown pane from control centre in the menubar or something. I feel like that would be more natural for its current form.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The new Settings just feels cheap to me.

The new system sounds are a little more high-strung than previous OSes.

Moribund version of OpenGL 2.1 still present.

YouTube plays smooth as butter. Which it didn't under Big Sur..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 25, 2022

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

it running poorly is bad enough but did they have to disable horizontal resizing. maybe the responsive design isn't finished yet and it only looks right at that size

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Just to add to the OCLP posts... I just updated my Late 2012 iMac from OCLP 12.6 -> Ventura via the OpenCore Legacy patcher nightly build. Utterly flawless install and it may as well be a supported Mac. 😳

(Also, I love Stage Manager! )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hey, try adding a location to Weather.. I tried and now Weather just keeps crashing :argh: