Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Skill issue.

e: ah poo poo 2 pages old, I also have a skill issue

At least nobody's writing an article about your fuckup. I don't understand what possesses people to jeopardize their livelihoods with completely unnecessary public declarations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Ive never played a Persona game and I'm home sick this weekend while my wife and kid are out of town so I'm gonna dive in

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Out on the town with many other developers, asking Microsoft to drop mandatory Series S support. They’re just out of frame, complaining that the console is holding back new-gen games too.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
It's just a very weird thing to say when a really great way for non-CoD/Madden third party games to make money is to release on the Switch, which is so much more of a potato than the Series S or even Steam Deck. Like, that's the one you think is "holding you back?"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

TheScott2K posted:

It's just a very weird thing to say when a really great way for non-CoD/Madden third party games to make money is to release on the Switch, which is so much more of a potato than the Series S or even Steam Deck. Like, that's the one you think is "holding you back?"
If every developer had to release every game on the Switch simultaneously with the other platforms, it would absolutely hold the generation back.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Volte posted:

If every developer had to release every game on the Switch simultaneously with the other platforms, it would absolutely hold the generation back.

Swap in Switch for "the average PC configuration on Steam," then.

Maybe I'm just crotchety because I just don't really loving care about graphics anymore beyond "does it run smoothly"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Can't wait for the CoD 2 pixel remaster for Nintendo Switch

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
If we really are done with 60fps modes, I'm gonna pout so hard, you guys.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Surgeon Simulator is trying to push the boundaries of graphical fidelity in gaming but Phil Spencer won’t let them.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
That Surgeon Simulator 2 game got real weird and it didn’t grab me like how messing about in the first did.

Wandering around in Team Fortress art design “surgeon base” in order to get to the actual thing I was interested in doing, pretty dumb move imo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Series S just doesn't have the memory bandwidth for the dozen layers of middleware it takes to make the lawn you're mowing look realistic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

in 2014 maybe

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

TheScott2K posted:

Maybe I'm just crotchety because I just don't really loving care about graphics anymore beyond "does it run smoothly"
PC games are allowed to have system requirements and there are plenty of games that don't run well on the "average" PC configuration on Steam. It doesn't seem that controversial to me that releasing a powerful next gen console but requiring that all games also run on a far less powerful console is going to have some impact on how games are designed.

That said, I think Microsoft can't really split the ecosystem at this point without pissing off basically everyone who bought a Series S. Plus this generation is basically stillborn and games are going to be supporting PS4 for years to come anyway, so I'm not sure it would much of a difference.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
My understanding is that there's a ton of tech in both Series consoles that isn't really being used, since a lot of stuff is still cross gen. I'm not a "secret sauce" kind of person but I do think that the Series S will have more longevity than people think as the tools mature and developers get more used to it.

Personally speaking, I couldn't give less of a gently caress about 8k and ray tracing or whatever, so I hope not every studio goes in that direction.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Persona 5 is giving me an issue on series x where an xbox menu pops in every 30 seconds or so with an error message and tells me to try again. I can close out the error message and the game keeps playing fine but it must be failing to do something in the background. Gonna try again tomorrow. Looked cool from what I saw tho!

I have the same thing happening to me as well, I think someone mentioned they reinstalled it and that fixed it so I'll probably try that too

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DLC Inc posted:

I have the same thing happening to me as well, I think someone mentioned they reinstalled it and that fixed it so I'll probably try that too

just do not connect to the thieves guild, it is down apparently and that is what is causing the error

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

just do not connect to the thieves guild, it is down apparently and that is what is causing the error

ah ok, suspected it might have been that. thanks!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't know anything about the Persona series. If the typical JRPG makes me want to stab out my eyes, will I enjoy Persona? I mostly hate the too frequent turn-based combat events and endless conversations of the genre.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Absolutely not.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve watched videos of Persona and I still have no idea wtf you do in the game

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Literally everyone I know who played P5 thought it was amazing and then at hour 50 decided they wanted to kill themselves for wasting their life playing such a chunk of garbage.

Its hour 30 actually where it goes to poo poo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There's certainly a lot of talking if that bothers you

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Persona is mainly good for the life sim stuff, if the idea of managing stuff outside your dungeon like time spent working/studying/hanging out isn't your cup of tea you won't enjoy it.

Most people I know didn't like the main story in the bade game but the extra chapters in the Royal rerelase are really good imo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

John F Bennett posted:

I don't know anything about the Persona series. If the typical JRPG makes me want to stab out my eyes, will I enjoy Persona? I mostly hate the too frequent turn-based combat events and endless conversations of the genre.

Persona is a 50 hour JRPG with a 50 hour anime series attached to it so absolutely not.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I love Persona but I totally understand why Shin Megami Tensei fans hate it with a passion lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Volte posted:

Yeah, this is the rub. A bunch of devs weren't releasing on Switch because unless you did a cloud-based release there wasn't really a practical way to make it work.

The main thing devs are asking for is to be able to develop a Series X game that doesn't have to run on Series S, but that's probably not something Microsoft can reverse course on now. So every dev wanting to go fully "next gen" is going to have to skip Xbox entirely and focus on PS5 if that's something they have a set mind about. The PC requirement is also holding things back now, especially with the Steam Deck and the increase in PC parts costs, although PC games are starting to require more than 8 gigs of RAM as a minimum spec (including thread favorite Elden Ring and A Plague's Tale Requiem). Maybe in a year or two the minimum specs to run a AAA game on PC will be around what the PS5 and Series X are running internally, the biggest obstacle is figuring out how to properly set a listed requirement of "you need an NVMe SSD and it has to hit at least these speeds". But the Series S means devs still have to work with the same 8 gigs of RAM the PS4 has, when even the Steam Deck ships with 16.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
people making rear end AAA games like Gotham Knights is "holding games back" not the series S or Steam Deck or switch or whatever lol

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
https://twitter.com/MercuryCDX/status/1581290452254277632

https://twitter.com/Noob326/status/1581294246669475841

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

univbee posted:

You really should have Stux on ignore.

Bro what. Lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

people making rear end AAA games like Gotham Knights is "holding games back" not the series S or Steam Deck or switch or whatever lol

Yeah developers love to rely on a billion barely compatible middleware systems eating up all the VRAM and RAM and then smuggly say 'well it was designed for next gen systems'. What really happened was everyone on the team couldn't find a way to optimize texture streaming on StackExchange

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Evil Badman posted:

Why play Avengers when the very good and fun Guardians of the Glaxy sit there ignore?

Because my little girl wanted me to play as Kamala

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

MJBuddy posted:

Because my little girl wanted me to play as Kamala

Fair enough! This was me sneaking GotG into the conversation since it was a good comic game this decade.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

univbee posted:

You really should have Stux on ignore.

I can't. Stux has sentimental value. I got my first prob replying to him.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

another day without a modern Blast Corps sequel or remake announced. Xbox keeps failing.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

another day without a modern Blast Corps Crimson Skies sequel or remake announced. Xbox keeps failing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Volte posted:

PC games are allowed to have system requirements and there are plenty of games that don't run well on the "average" PC configuration on Steam. It doesn't seem that controversial to me that releasing a powerful next gen console but requiring that all games also run on a far less powerful console is going to have some impact on how games are designed.

That said, I think Microsoft can't really split the ecosystem at this point without pissing off basically everyone who bought a Series S. Plus this generation is basically stillborn and games are going to be supporting PS4 for years to come anyway, so I'm not sure it would much of a difference.

I don't see why console games can't have granular graphics settings, at least on the dev's end. If a PC version of the game can let the end user fiddle with all kinds of poo poo to increase performance, there's no reason that it would be difficult to have a version on the S that has toned down graphics to accommodate the lower system specs. I mean games already have "performance" modes on this gen, as well as the series x/s patches.

These seem like lame excuses to me, and to be frank how do you gently caress up optimization on something like surgeon simulator?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't see why console games can't have granular graphics settings, at least on the dev's end. If a PC version of the game can let the end user fiddle with all kinds of poo poo to increase performance, there's no reason that it would be difficult to have a version on the S that has toned down graphics to accommodate the lower system specs. I mean games already have "performance" modes on this gen, as well as the series x/s patches.

These seem like lame excuses to me, and to be frank how do you gently caress up optimization on something like surgeon simulator?
Graphics are in some ways the least of the Series S's concerns - the CPU and RAM are a lot more constrained too, and that stuff is a lot less tunable on the user's end. I don't know what Surgeon Simulator has anything to do with it considering it does run on Series S at 60fps and the original story only says the developer of Surgeon Simulator said that other devs are asking about it (which I fully believe).

Believe it or not, when you force devs to make their games run at a certain level on a low end machine, it impacts what is practical to make the game do on the high end. These things are not all sliding scales where you can just turn down certain things to make it work on whatever machine you want, and developer resources are finite.

Volte fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 21, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Volte posted:

the CPU is a lot more constrained
Uhh you sure about that?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Volte posted:

Graphics are in some ways the least of the Series S's concerns - the CPU and RAM are a lot more constrained too, and that stuff is a lot less tunable on the user's end. I don't know what Surgeon Simulator has anything to do with it considering it does run on Series S at 60fps and the original story only says the developer of Surgeon Simulator said that other devs are asking about it (which I fully believe).

Believe it or not, when you force devs to make their games run at a certain level on a low end machine, it impacts what is practical to make the game do on the high end. These things are not all sliding scales where you can just turn down certain things to make it work on whatever machine you want.

I think the Series S CPU isn't causing anyone problems, it's the same as what's in the Series X just at a slightly slower clock speed. Not nearly as bad a constraint as PS4's laptop CPU from 2012. it's apparently RAM bandwidth that's causing devs problems right now. Also its RT performance is pretty terrible even compared to the somewhat weak capabilities of the Series X and PS5. If a publisher ever wanted to take a stab at a game that requires RT for lighting, Series S would make that a big challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Grounded is so good I might buy dlc if they put any out.