Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sardonik posted:

Of course, I'd be pretty surprised if any shareholders got much of anything if CIG went bankrupt, it would have to go to the creditors first, but one can't help but wonder. Maybe their crowdfunding cashflow lets their operation run with relatively low amounts of debt.

What creditors? CIG is getting all their money from fleecing backers (and a small bit from the Calders).

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Virtual Captain posted:

Random FUD from Twerk42's "Answer the Call - I NEED a BREAK!" video:

"why should I feel the obligation to play this game when the development studio has not created content worth playing?"

"you know replayable content doesn't really exist in Star Citizen"

"nobody should be forced to play a patch that is this uninspiring for this long"

"having to do a podcast about a game that is uh..."

"I've played Star Citizen for long enough to go 'yeah I I've had enough of this'"

:gary:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
Found tihs on the SC :reddit: and it's just :discourse: so there ya go.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
So could SA crowdfund a better game? I think we could sell shares for $3.50 and then we put that money in a 10 year bond. If the the world survives, we will cash it out and ask our AI overlords to make a better game than Star Citizen.

Star Scammer

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
ramps :argh:

https://v.redd.it/nire9cza33v91/DASH_480.mp4

:reddit: is blaming user error for not deploying landing gear, so I assume ships should suddenly explode whenever in contact with the ground, unlike in an inferior ED

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

HAmbONE posted:

So could SA crowdfund a better game? I think we could sell shares for $3.50 and then we put that money in a 10 year bond. If the the world survives, we will cash it out and ask our AI overlords to make a better game than Star Citizen.

Star Scammer

Zybourne Citizen

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

OT but putting this here since citizens just love making GBS threads on Cyberpunk every time they can.
How many daily players did SC have again?

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1582742974839934977?s=20&t=kTVLsfZs4TlSjf0pgiVX1g
I got a ps5 recently and bought cyberpunk kind of on a whim without much in the way of expectations given the state of it on launch and I've honestly been blown away, it's a great game.

Maybe in another twenty years star citizen will be too!!!!!

lol it won't

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Sardonik posted:

Now it's been a while since I was in graduate business school, and I'm just assuming UK bankruptcy law is similar to the US', but I can't help but wonder if they're setting up some new preferred stock for certain people to shift their ownership to, such that they get paid out before any common bagstockholders in bankruptcy proceedings.

Of course, I'd be pretty surprised if any shareholders got much of anything if CIG went bankrupt, it would have to go to the creditors first, but one can't help but wonder. Maybe their crowdfunding cashflow lets their operation run with relatively low amounts of debt.

Shouldn't really matter because shareholders are last in the queue for bankrupty proceedings. The concept of a Limited Company is that your liability is limited to your shareholder equity.

It looks like I was wrong though, for some reason they went from a total of 1,171,580 shares worth £117.158 in total (eg 0.01p each).
Now they have 11,715,800 shares worth £117.158 in total. (eg: 0.001p or £0.00001 each).

Just a regular 10 for 1 share split, for reasons. I should have known better than to try and make logical sense of this.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

free hubcaps posted:

I got a ps5 recently and bought cyberpunk kind of on a whim without much in the way of expectations given the state of it on launch and I've honestly been blown away, it's a great game.

Maybe in another twenty years star citizen will be too!!!!!

lol it won't

Yeah Cyberpunk is a great game now. I came back for a fresh play through on PC after all the patches and really enjoyed it. I’ve never seen an open world more gorgeous or immersive.

I’m glad people are giving it another try and it’s getting a sequel eventually.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Dwesa posted:

:reddit: is blaming user error for not deploying landing gear, so I assume ships should suddenly explode whenever in contact with the ground, unlike in an inferior ED

It's a ramp again.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

shrach posted:

Shouldn't really matter because shareholders are last in the queue for bankrupty proceedings. The concept of a Limited Company is that your liability is limited to your shareholder equity.

It looks like I was wrong though, for some reason they went from a total of 1,171,580 shares worth £117.158 in total (eg 0.01p each).
Now they have 11,715,800 shares worth £117.158 in total. (eg: 0.001p or £0.00001 each).

Just a regular 10 for 1 share split, for reasons. I should have known better than to try and make logical sense of this.

This is because Derek sent Chris a really nice letter explaining what is the correct way to use decimal points.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Dwesa posted:

How could anyone look at that footage with all its jankiness, baby dev's first no clip "flight model", strange physics and just general shittiness and say "Hey you know what? I'm gonna sink a thousand dollars more into this!!"

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

colonelwest posted:

Yeah Cyberpunk is a great game now. I came back for a fresh play through on PC after all the patches and really enjoyed it. I’ve never seen an open world more gorgeous or immersive.

I’m glad people are giving it another try and it’s getting a sequel eventually.

Kojima once said: a released game will be good eventually. Star Citizen will always be poo poo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I bet the game is out now. Is it?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Dwesa posted:

That damage model. :discourse:

Ship -> overheating shaders -> big boom -> no ship.

Who needs a salvage feature when ships can self recycle?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JugbandDude posted:

Kojima once said: a released game will be good eventually. Star Citizen will always be poo poo

What is Kojima doing now? (besides all the drugs).

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Paladinus posted:

I bet the game is out now. Is it?

Yes. It’s great and has more content than many AAA games

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

trucutru posted:

Working on the Death Stranding sequel, and one or two other games I think.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Zybourne Citizen

Imagine 4 balls on the edge of a cliff. You have to buy the balls. Cliff development has been pushed back. Your imagination has crashed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

JugbandDude posted:

Yes. It’s great and has more content than many AAA games

Nice. I'll check again in several months then.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Paladinus posted:

Nice. I'll check again in several months then.

I would also buy an Idris. They’re only about $1000 a piece, and a rock solid investment in these difficult economic times.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

trucutru posted:

He hosts movie nights with his co-workers where he talks about the history of the show they're watching

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

Cute.

Kind of like how the fire sticks around in mid air after the ship despawns almost immediately after being destroyed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/CaptainZyloh/status/1582848715756568576

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Are they still sending care packages? With COVID done what’s the excuse now?
Oh well, backers are fine with their money used for this so it’s all good. :retrogames:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

The Hard Climb Star Citizen History of Space Flight Ep 1 Space Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwGonAicDY0

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

The Titanic posted:

Kind of like how the fire sticks around in mid air after the ship despawns almost immediately after being destroyed.

That’s cause persistence is finally working.
You’d have your ship explode in a remote forest and the mid air fire will still be there when another citizen visits it a couple days later.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
800 employees now? You'd think the "give a million monkeys type writers" would have happened by now.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

My long-term dream is that eventually Terra Prime is fleshed out to the level that there is a pocket of walkable space at every single station stop in this old datamined Terra Prime transit map. At minimum, it'd be nice if it's like a couple square blocks worth of content so there are one or two player-hab apartment buildings and maybe a shop or two.

My dream is to experience the SC equivalent of coming home after a trip: getting out of the airport, dragging myself to public transit (or a ride or, if you're baller or live close enough, a taxi/Uber), getting out with your luggage, and dragging your exhausted rear end to your building, into the lobby, up the elevator (or stairs, god help you), and then finally reaching your own apartment, unlocking the door, dragging everything inside, and then flopping out and feeling the tired relief of being home. Only I've landed my spaceship in the LZ, got onto the metro, and got out in my neighbourhood and walked across the street to the apartment tower and rode the elevator up to my hab.

It goes without saying that every metro stop in the city should have a different view since they're physically located in different locations in the city, and every apartment is supposed to 'physically' exist in its own location in a tower so the view will change from floor to floor and depending on what side you're assigned.

But if they even start work on this before SQ42 is out Imma be a little pissed because it's far from top priority.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Popete posted:

800 employees now? You'd think the "give a million monkeys type writers" would have happened by now.

Not if you shred every sheet of paper as soon as before it's written.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

You've also been around long enough to know that literally everything in the game at the moment is merely placeholder, and it's placeholder in a game where the core pillars aren't in place to support the full weight of what is to come.

The mistake the OP is making is the classic mistake, taking what there is now and a 'not really fully grasped' notion of the short form presentations from TZ and extrapolating it into the future of the game with their understanding of what is possible from other games. That's akin to taking the old CryEngine pre-64bit precision and saying 'Behold what Star Citizen will be!' Even Tony Zurovec cannot cover the whole expanse of what the AI system is planned to be in great enough detail, no-one can grasp it all fully in video segments that lend themselves more to infotainment than in-depth analysis.

The OP seems to be under the impression that the only AI population will be Quantum, this isn't the case. There will be scheduled NPC's who are a part of the societal lore of the verse, the Jarls and Heimskr's if you will. While it is true that the oft quoted 9 to 1 ratio of NPC's to players has been mooted by CIG it is taken too literally, it was only a guide to an average. The AI population will represent what is realistic for the place and the lore, if a star system is mostly deserted according to current lore then the ratio of players to AI will be higher, if however the place is supposed to be a bustling star system with multiple metropolises then the player to 'scheduled AI' ratio will be lower.

The universe is not merely theme park, though it has elements of that, and it is not wholly sandbox. What CIG have been spending so long on is somewhat elusive - that thing we refer to as 'The Living Breathing Universe'. If you tell the average MMO player, we will have a massive MMO with live performances by actors reacting to the events in the game universe, they would think you are joking, yet that is the plan for the top tier NPC AI. Imperator Leylani Addison exists in this game universe, Jax McCleary exists, Beck Rossum exists and she will present the news on Empire Report. All that stuff on the main site is not just 'Flavour lore for background', it will be in the game.

Star Citizen will be sandbox at the player level, but it will be theme park at the macro level. The backdrop to this sandbox is a universe that has it's own societal drivers and will go on from the day the game goes to 'Live Release' like a never ending soap opera where players choose what character they want to play (within limits). How that society is structured has a major influence on how the players will perceive the game. This societal universe is tiered and varied in ways the other games he refers to are not. Also from what I understand of the games he tries to draw comparison with they tend to be homogenous throughout their 'game space'. The rules that apply over here are the exact same rules that apply over there. Star Citizens' universe is not going to be homogenous, the different areas in the universe will have significantly different 'feels' and pressures. What works in one area won't work in other areas. This is the difference between what CIG is doing compared to anything else out there, that massive in-built variety in depth that is being automated.

The clue to what CIG has always done is to look at it from the standpoint of scale, normally games have to scale back where sheer bums on seats grunt work is the limitation - the old paradigm is being challenged.. you can have it big or you can have it deep and immersive. Quantum is the automation of the 'big and wide' that underlies the curated deep and immersive. CIG are not picking one approach and sticking with it, the way the OP seems to think all games must be made, they plan to use both approaches - the top tier AI are narrative driven that's why they have their own mocap studios.

Star Citizen is referred to as a game almost universally, but it isn't really that, it's a franchise in the same way that Star Trek and Star Wars are a franchise universe and that is the 'He must be crazy!' aim of Chris Roberts, he wants to make that movie-verse you can actually live in a reality. It's extremely unlikely that anyone will be making a movie of the Rust universe.

Quantum are not 'the verse' they are merely the Red Shirts and Storm Troopers in that verse. What is revolutionary in a game of this type was explained by TZ in his last presentation, unlike Jarls and Heimskr's they are building in a system where the simulated population (Quanta) individuals can transition from Quantum to Virtual to Instantiated (indistinguishable from Scheduled AI) and back again to Quanta all while retaining every experience and attribute they acquired along the way (full persistence) so that if they make that transition again they retain the same appearance (hence why they needed DNA tech), reputation, faction alliances and history log exactly the same way the players do. Unlike other games the AI NPC do not have to have special flags applied that allows a particular set of behaviours, they are all capable of those behaviours, and they are added according to what demand is made by the players (how much they interact with them) and even the conditions of the game universe itself.

All Star Citizen AI, including Quanta, will react to the events and dynamic changes in the verse where the players are just another facet of those changes. The sheer number of variables that both players and AI will react to is what creates that sandbox in a theme park - The UEE government, the navy, the advocacy, the alien races and their systems, the non-aligned factions, the corporate elites, the media personalities - politicians. By not allowing 'magic' to control the economy and making all entities both player and AI limited by resources it means that players cannot simply compete with each other for dominance, there will always be that 'third party draw' and control on resources which is controlled both by the simulation running the overall game universe and CIG game masters input.

While players may have big effects in some small locales they can never be a dominating force in the universe as a whole because the system can always 'bring more'. A fish in a huge pond has no idea whether it is a big fish or not, it can think what it likes and it's picture of itself will be tempered by where it goes in that huge pond. Unless a player gets up close they won't know the difference between players and AI and they can never exclude the crowd that already inhabits the verse on a 24/7 basis. The key is knowledge, both local and universe wide - there's just too much for players to 'know all', unlike the games often compared to Star Citizen knowledge is not universally transferable, those varied locales make sure of that. There is no Spectrum in Rust, it doesn't have the range of activities that players and AI will be able to engage in. There is no tourism and AI controlled passenger services in EvE Online or Rust. There is no calendar of annual events and holidays that will both feed into and drive the economy. There is no calendar of entertainments like Murray Cup Racing where teams will have to built from scratch, resourced and hauled around the verse in real time, in those games.

Listening to people compare Star Citizen to other games you see the same themes - it will be endless soul-less grind, it will pew pew and constant griefing, it will be area domination and these activities are all there will be across the whole universe, this is the homogeneity they expect from games - but that isn't what Star Citizen is going to be, it will have those elements and those that want it can have them if they arrange it so, but they will be only a small part of the overall story and they will be infrequent and localised.

Are there go-kart tracks and ad hoc ship racing tracks in Rust or EvE Online?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
1424 word count

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
‘Are there go kart tracks in EVE’ I type smugly, triumphantly having owned OP before taking a long sip of the warm milk my mom brought to the basement earlier

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Everything is a placeholder in this game. Except the Crobblers, we are stuck with that dude.

.random
May 7, 2007

Mirificus posted:

quote:

While it is true that the oft quoted 9 to 1 ratio of NPC's to players has been mooted by CIG it is taken too literally, it was only a guide to an average.

What? What does that even mean? What?!!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Will Star Citizen be able to use those new 4090 video cards?
I wonder about the possibility that the Broken Dream ends on not working well on new hardware.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beexoffel posted:

Will Star Citizen be able to use those new 4090 video cards?
I wonder about the possibility that the Broken Dream ends on not working well on new hardware.

Maybe I should update the chart.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Tippis posted:

Maybe I should update the chart.

Thanks!
Yeah, the graphics card is 3090 till 2022, and then 4090 starting 2022. And I heard new CPUs are just around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Mirificus posted:

more pissycat self-abuse

My eyeballs are growing corns trying to read this poo poo.