Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

There is also a new Starter Set adventure that is pretty decent in Stormwrack Isle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

sebmojo posted:

We just gonna let this one slip by, huh

That’s not the kind of roleplay I was thinking of, dungeon master!

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

Brain In A Jar posted:

Just be aware that it's very possible to TPK on a very early encounter (the second one, I think?) if you don't employ some discretion.

It is the first encounter, actually. It is very poorly balanced with regards to character levels and player (or DM) experience. It's been called the deadliest encounter in 5e because of how many TPKs it has caused.

The gist of the encounter is
A number of goblins equal to player characters + 2, wielding crossbows, ambush the party from partial cover, using their bonus actions to hide and reposition after attacking.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

I guess Wild Sheep Chase and/or Wolves of Welton are some highly-regarded 3rd party self-contained adventures? I ran them both a while ago and they were pretty fun, charming, and functional, which I guess is a lot more than you can say for a number of official, published adventure books. :v:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey folks, had a really cool interaction in my new D&D group that I wanted to share, makes me very excited for my new group. This is gonna be a lore post for my new campign that a player brought to our DM for her first campaign and were all making GBS threads ourselves because of how cool this game is gonna be, especially after our session zero tonight.

Fresh party, all new to D&D exzcept me & DM, my best friend. Were running campign for his GF and her two best friends. We're doing a high fantasy sorcery setting with all non-human party members, because in this world humans are infected with a psychic curse that makes them all zombies from birth, serving a hivemind, so all of culture and society avoids the deserted human wastelands of the south because they function more like a giant anthill the size of china than like a country.

Anyways, one of my party members is a black/Puerto Rican woman and she wants to be a drow in the game, but she said her research came up with all this racial stuff about slavery and matriarchal spider worship etc etc and so she asked to come up with a new reason for Drow to be separate from other elves, and what she worked out is just awesome, IMO.

She's very clear that she doesn't want heavy racism//hard racism "no elves allowed, all dwarves are slaves" kind of stuff so here is her pitch:

Drow are a special kind of onyx-skinned elf with a much higher concentration earth and water magic in their blood and muscles than the sky/space magic of the normal sun worshipping high elves, water elves, or wood elves. The sun burns their skin and eyes, but they are much more deeply connected to the waters, swamps, wetlands, mud plains etc than their arboreal counterparts, or the ultra-magical city elves who live in floating towers made of dragon and whale bones. When a baby drow is born to a family of white, brown, or blue elves, there is a very sad, melancholy celebration, because the family is both blessed but also cursed. The parents must make a pilgrimage to the Drow city of Toomok, a coastal city built in the shade of gigantic oceanside cliff that blocks the sun for all but one hour a day, right before sunset. All the drow children are raised there, communally by drow elders, and learn how to care and protect themselves with smoked googles, skins creams, parasols, and even full body skin suits made of Yuan-Ti leather. Once you've learned to survive in the "sun-lands", many drow return home to their families as adults and work the crops or fisheries or mines, but the most gifted become powerful moon-wizards who commune with aliens and the most powerful necromancers the world has ever seen. Drow are mysterious and rare, but respected, celebrated, and welcome everywhere. Rich drow pay nannies with militia guards to ferry their drow babies too and from the city, and have gigantic lavish debutante style "Coming Outs" when their drow children return.

She has said that she believes even in a world without the history of slavery, there would still be the racism of ignorance, of being afraid of things that look different, but in this world, in our setting, drow are among the most celebrated and beloved because they are so rarew and so special.

anyways i know this all seems probably corny as gently caress, but i'm positively thrilled to see this woman come in and immediately reformat how I think of Drow forever. an awesome thing.

Anyone else ever get a really cool idea like this for eliminating some of the more unfortunate baggage of the games past?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It's really great when one of your players gets involved in the lore of your world. You know they are invested and are gonna show up every week and bring their A-game. Make sure you develop the lore of these elves and have some neo-drow themed adventures so she keeps up her enthusiasm.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Players being this engaged is nothing short of amazing

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey folks, had a really cool interaction in my new D&D group that I wanted to share, makes me very excited for my new group. This is gonna be a lore post for my new campign that a player brought to our DM for her first campaign and were all making GBS threads ourselves because of how cool this game is gonna be, especially after our session zero tonight.

Fresh party, all new to D&D exzcept me & DM, my best friend. Were running campign for his GF and her two best friends. We're doing a high fantasy sorcery setting with all non-human party members, because in this world humans are infected with a psychic curse that makes them all zombies from birth, serving a hivemind, so all of culture and society avoids the deserted human wastelands of the south because they function more like a giant anthill the size of china than like a country.

Anyways, one of my party members is a black/Puerto Rican woman and she wants to be a drow in the game, but she said her research came up with all this racial stuff about slavery and matriarchal spider worship etc etc and so she asked to come up with a new reason for Drow to be separate from other elves, and what she worked out is just awesome, IMO.

She's very clear that she doesn't want heavy racism//hard racism "no elves allowed, all dwarves are slaves" kind of stuff so here is her pitch:

Drow are a special kind of onyx-skinned elf with a much higher concentration earth and water magic in their blood and muscles than the sky/space magic of the normal sun worshipping high elves, water elves, or wood elves. The sun burns their skin and eyes, but they are much more deeply connected to the waters, swamps, wetlands, mud plains etc than their arboreal counterparts, or the ultra-magical city elves who live in floating towers made of dragon and whale bones. When a baby drow is born to a family of white, brown, or blue elves, there is a very sad, melancholy celebration, because the family is both blessed but also cursed. The parents must make a pilgrimage to the Drow city of Toomok, a coastal city built in the shade of gigantic oceanside cliff that blocks the sun for all but one hour a day, right before sunset. All the drow children are raised there, communally by drow elders, and learn how to care and protect themselves with smoked googles, skins creams, parasols, and even full body skin suits made of Yuan-Ti leather. Once you've learned to survive in the "sun-lands", many drow return home to their families as adults and work the crops or fisheries or mines, but the most gifted become powerful moon-wizards who commune with aliens and the most powerful necromancers the world has ever seen. Drow are mysterious and rare, but respected, celebrated, and welcome everywhere. Rich drow pay nannies with militia guards to ferry their drow babies too and from the city, and have gigantic lavish debutante style "Coming Outs" when their drow children return.

She has said that she believes even in a world without the history of slavery, there would still be the racism of ignorance, of being afraid of things that look different, but in this world, in our setting, drow are among the most celebrated and beloved because they are so rarew and so special.

anyways i know this all seems probably corny as gently caress, but i'm positively thrilled to see this woman come in and immediately reformat how I think of Drow forever. an awesome thing.

Anyone else ever get a really cool idea like this for eliminating some of the more unfortunate baggage of the games past?

You had me right to the point of wearing another sentient races' skin like an Edgar Suit.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

This is rad and the smoked-goggles and leather-suited / parasol-wielding drow are a great aesthetic! Kudos to your player, that's really inventive and exciting.

quote:

except for one of them who did one session of 4e with me until it turned the DM was turning it into a sex thing with his wife.

Please don't let this be lost in the thread without explanation, also.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dienes posted:

You had me right to the point of wearing another sentient races' skin like an Edgar Suit.

Oh, gosh, lol, the Yuan Ti are seafaring traders in our campaign, a long time ago the drow helped them by uncursing their people to be afraid of the moon and in turn their people sold us clothes made out of their old skin after they shed it, ha ha!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone knows Yuan Ti are pure evil and irredeemable, so its fine to kill them and wear their skin.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL yeah that’s kind of where we want this campaign to flourish, taking all the classically “you’re evil because you have evil blood!” races and just turning them into normal people.

Our campaign does have a lot of very handy allegories for racism and good/evil, I just think a setting where everyone is monster fighting against infinite human hordes is rife with storytelling potential

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Oh, gosh, lol, the Yuan Ti are seafaring traders in our campaign, a long time ago the drow helped them by uncursing their people to be afraid of the moon and in turn their people sold us clothes made out of their old skin after they shed it, ha ha!

It all started when the tortle realised they could sell their outsized shells to humans, who wanted them for armor. Then, the tortles figured out they could craft protective suits from dragonborn scales, who in turn were chasing a fashion trend for swapping chest scales out for iron plates, that dwarf artificers were producing as a byproduct from smithing. This suited the dwarves, whose nobility were chasing a trend of disrespecting their parents' forge culture by wearing highly flammable flaxen shirts, woven by halfling farmers. These farmers took the valuable smithing techniques and sold them to the elves, for whom intricate piercings were becoming all the rage for anyone who's anyone under the age of 200. To accentuate their youthful exuberance, centuries old elves would hire human culture tutors, who were much more in tune with ephemeral fashion trends sweeping the realms. The latest of which, of course, was hair dyed jet black with charcoal and impossibly tight pants exhibiting the skinny thighs and legs of the wearer, causing much chagrin to the thick-thighed and muscly subsistence farmers of old. To create the material needed to provide this elasticity, humanity's natural curse for inventiveness drove them to shed Yuan Ti skin, which when treated, tempered, and heat sealed, provided the perfect crotch-hugging garment, nicknamed among the youth as "snake-skin denim".

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Brain In A Jar posted:

It all started when the tortle realised they could sell their outsized shells to humans, who wanted them for armor. Then, the tortles figured out they could craft protective suits from dragonborn scales, who in turn were chasing a fashion trend for swapping chest scales out for iron plates, that dwarf artificers were producing as a byproduct from smithing. This suited the dwarves, whose nobility were chasing a trend of disrespecting their parents' forge culture by wearing highly flammable flaxen shirts, woven by halfling farmers. These farmers took the valuable smithing techniques and sold them to the elves, for whom intricate piercings were becoming all the rage for anyone who's anyone under the age of 200. To accentuate their youthful exuberance, centuries old elves would hire human culture tutors, who were much more in tune with ephemeral fashion trends sweeping the realms. The latest of which, of course, was hair dyed jet black with charcoal and impossibly tight pants exhibiting the skinny thighs and legs of the wearer, causing much chagrin to the thick-thighed and muscly subsistence farmers of old. To create the material needed to provide this elasticity, humanity's natural curse for inventiveness drove them to shed Yuan Ti skin, which when treated, tempered, and heat sealed, provided the perfect crotch-hugging garment, nicknamed among the youth as "snake-skin denim".
All elves being emo or goth is totally happening in my next campaign.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Bust Rodd posted:

Still weird but better I guess but also in a way not.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

sebmojo posted:

Yes. Yes we are.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

question: How common is it the DM is also planning secretary for future sessions?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

champagne posting posted:

question: How common is it the DM is also planning secretary for future sessions?

almost always?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hra Mormo posted:

Still weird but better I guess but also in a way not.

... would you wear a feather jacket from an Owlkin? Would you drink a frosty mug of Minotaur Milk, if the Minotaur herself were the tavern keeper? I think these kinds of interactions are what make the inhumanity of the campaign setting really pop & sizzle. it's the same kind of stuff Terry Pratchet thought about when developing Discworld & Ankh-Morpork. I just love that kind of stuff! Sociology!

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

If you have a player who takes the initiative to schedule, that is the DM's favorite person at the table.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I am literally just stealing the Destiny lore and locations and reflavouring them. That way if anyone starts asking questions, I can just pull from the existing lore i've read because I genuinely have a problem. I think once I start explaining how warforged are powered by a sentient liquid my wife might clock what's happening but hopefully for the others I can rely on good old never revealling your sources.

The drow stuff sounds so cool. Do point your friend to the 1D&D playtest, because they are going in a pretty cool direction kind of similar to what she suggested - elves absorb the characteristics of the place they are born in. Much more satisfying than "dark elves bad but don't worry, you're one of the good ones (ugh)."

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Bust Rodd posted:

... would you wear a feather jacket from an Owlkin? Would you drink a frosty mug of Minotaur Milk, if the Minotaur herself were the tavern keeper? I think these kinds of interactions are what make the inhumanity of the campaign setting really pop & sizzle. it's the same kind of stuff Terry Pratchet thought about when developing Discworld & Ankh-Morpork. I just love that kind of stuff! Sociology!

Uhh, sure, pop & sizzle. That's totally the vibe I got from the breastmilk cheese in Borat.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

In the groups I've played in it's always been agreed at the start of the campaign we'll play, say, on Sundays 9 till midnight, or Wednesdays 7 till 10, after asking everyone in the group what day and time is best for them. That's as far as scheduling ever really goes, pick the day and time everyone can do and agree on what to do about people who can't attend (which is usually, unless they're crucial to the plot, run without up to two people and beyond that cancel or arrange something else).

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Government Handjob posted:

It is the first encounter, actually. It is very poorly balanced with regards to character levels and player (or DM) experience. It's been called the deadliest encounter in 5e because of how many TPKs it has caused.

The gist of the encounter is
A number of goblins equal to player characters + 2, wielding crossbows, ambush the party from partial cover, using their bonus actions to hide and reposition after attacking.

When I run this campaign, my plan is to have a priest of Lathanader accompany the party from Neverwinter, and when the party turns the wagon from the High Road to the Triboar Trail, the priest will cast Aid (twice if there's 4 or more members in the party) on them before bidding them farewell and continuing South on their own. The extra 5hp per character should really help 1st level character survivability, and also lower the need for an immediate rest before continuing past the first encounter.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

When I played through Lost Mines, our DM set us up on a pre-adventure that took us to level 2 first.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

sebmojo posted:

It’s just gross and weird. About an hour into the first (and last!) session with that DM, his wife who was playing a Druid wild shaped into a panther and started “seducing” the DMPC, and then they proceeded to role-play having sex while the rest of us got increasingly uncomfortable and left for the kitchen to try to drink the memories away. When it was over, we came up with various excuses and left. Haven’t seen them since then.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bust Rodd posted:

I've been playing my current minotaur paladin as a literal bull man. Herbivorous. Docile unless enraged. It leads to a lot of hilarity when you're playing a monster as just a literal half man half cow. Cows are great and your friends!

A Real Horse posted:

It’s just gross and weird. About an hour into the first (and last!) session with that DM, his wife who was playing a Druid wild shaped into a panther and started “seducing” the DMPC, and then they proceeded to role-play having sex while the rest of us got increasingly uncomfortable and left for the kitchen to try to drink the memories away. When it was over, we came up with various excuses and left. Haven’t seen them since then.

I'm happy they have a healthy sexual relationship and yeah never go back

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sex Panther! Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

"For this campaign, we set it in the universe of Paul Schrader's Cat People"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've been playing my current minotaur paladin as a literal bull man. Herbivorous. Docile unless enraged. It leads to a lot of hilarity when you're playing a monster as just a literal half man half cow. Cows are great and your friends!

I'm happy they have a healthy sexual relationship and yeah never go back

A healthy sexual relationship doesn't involve the nonconsensual involvement of other parties IMO

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Azathoth posted:

All elves being emo or goth is totally happening in my next campaign.

My Alchemical Romance

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rubberduke posted:

My Alchemical Romance

:vince:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, a lot of their cities do lie in dust at this point.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Minotaurs are one of those things in D&D that don't quite make sense when they're shorn of their mythological context. Why would cow-people be aggressive, warlike flesh-eaters?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 21, 2022

megane
Jun 20, 2008

When I was
a young elf
the Archfey
took me into the forest
to teach me Bigby's Hand

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

A Real Horse posted:

Quick question: I’m going to be DMing in a game for two friends who have never played D&D in any form before, except for one of them who did one session of 4e with me until it turned the DM was turning it into a sex thing with his wife. What is a good adventure to start them with? I just finished a Wild Beyond the Witchlight a few weeks ago as a player, and while that one is super fun I don’t think it’s what this group is expecting at first. We are meeting this Saturday for a session zero and I’d like to be able to give at least a vague description of what we will be doing.

I'm here to plug Sunless Citadel as a good adventure for first timers. It's shorter than LMoP, and has a fun faction vs faction aspect that the party can interact with.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Trivia posted:

I'm here to plug Sunless Citadel as a good adventure for first timers. It's shorter than LMoP, and has a fun faction vs faction aspect that the party can interact with.

I ran this and if your group likes on grid combat, it's great. I'd go so far as to say it's better than LMoP for online games.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

A healthy sexual relationship doesn't involve the nonconsensual involvement of other parties IMO

I'm always curious why so many of these stories seem to imply that the DM was unaware of what was happening, as if it was an accident that the game suddenly got weird and gross.

Do people accidently start sex roleplaying and then look around the room and go, 'oh gosh, sorry, I forgot you were all here.'

Also for what it's worth it would also be rude and weird if the DM took half a game to do anything with just one player, but obviously the nonconsensual literotica routine is far, far worse.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Mendrian posted:

I'm always curious why so many of these stories seem to imply that the DM was unaware of what was happening, as if it was an accident that the game suddenly got weird and gross.

Do people accidently start sex roleplaying and then look around the room and go, 'oh gosh, sorry, I forgot you were all here.'

Also for what it's worth it would also be rude and weird if the DM took half a game to do anything with just one player, but obviously the nonconsensual literotica routine is far, far worse.

I have a feeling alcohol is involved with most of those stories.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Is there something about weremonsters? The grossest story regarding unsolicited sex roleplaying from my local group involved a werecreature PC. Come to think of it, I believe he was some kind of werecat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

megane posted:

When I was
a young elf
the Archfey
took me into the forest
to teach me Bigby's Hand a 1d10 cantrip