Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Isn't the original Silent Hill 2 pretty hard to port because the team that handled the HD Remaster accidentally deleted a lot of original assets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I thought the remaster had to be reverse engineered because Konami went "lol we burned that poo poo", but both stories are still pretty funny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Originally it was because the unique architecture of the PS2 made the persistent fog layer hard to replicate in subsequent ports.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I thought the remaster had to be reverse engineered because Konami went "lol we burned that poo poo", but both stories are still pretty funny.

Yes the story I always saw was Konami straight up didn't have the assets anymore for 2 or something and 3 was an unfinished build. I think there was some reverse engineering of retail copies involved as well.

It's a shame the Xbox port of 2 isn't backwards compatible but the "HD Collection" that didn't get patched is. I played the HD collection on a ps3 because it got a couple of patches and so it wasn't a complete train wreck but I think at this point short of having a PS2, the only way to play it is the HD collection or the PC port

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

joylessdivision posted:

Yes the story I always saw was Konami straight up didn't have the assets anymore for 2 or something and 3 was an unfinished build. I think there was some reverse engineering of retail copies involved as well.

It's a shame the Xbox port of 2 isn't backwards compatible but the "HD Collection" that didn't get patched is. I played the HD collection on a ps3 because it got a couple of patches and so it wasn't a complete train wreck but I think at this point short of having a PS2, the only way to play it is the HD collection or the PC port

I was recommended the fanmade Enhanced Edition of the PC port
https://enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/about.htm

It's how I'll be starting my first run of game once I'm done with my book.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Saturnalia (survival horror game with roguelite elements) is being given away for free at launch next week on PC, via the Epic Games Store. Looks interesting, though I'm not sure how well the two genres will mesh together here.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Did the resident evil thing happen? No one want to talk about the good upcoming remake?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

al-azad posted:

Did the resident evil thing happen? No one want to talk about the good upcoming remake?

I just read some stuff and watched the gameplay preview, it looks good as hell. Except they killed that dog :smith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

much like with SH2, RE4 basically already a perfect enough game on its own that I don't feel excited about a remake.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just read some stuff and watched the gameplay preview, it looks good as hell. Except they killed that dog :smith:

I don't think that's the same dog. it's not in the right position and it's not even the same color, it's likely just one of the other dead dogs on the farm and IGN's full of poo poo as usual

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Isn't the original Silent Hill 2 pretty hard to port because the team that handled the HD Remaster accidentally deleted a lot of original assets?
My understanding is that the only source materials Konami were able to dig up were from an unfinished version of the original game. Combine that with having to translate all the Weird Stuff the PS2 does and a less-than-spectacular deadline/budget situation and you've got a recipe for disaster.

The original PC port was a similar situation - the devs had the Xbox version code thrust at them and were tasked with both getting it done quickly and cheaply on as few CD-ROMs as possible. Hence all the extra compression and lower bitrates and such.

Also: Rumors!
https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1582845859988840450

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

My understanding is that the only source materials Konami were able to dig up were from an unfinished version of the original game. Combine that with having to translate all the Weird Stuff the PS2 does and a less-than-spectacular deadline/budget situation and you've got a recipe for disaster.

The original PC port was a similar situation - the devs had the Xbox version code thrust at them and were tasked with both getting it done quickly and cheaply on as few CD-ROMs as possible. Hence all the extra compression and lower bitrates and such.

Also: Rumors!
https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1582845859988840450

Imran khan is full of poo poo

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

much like with SH2, RE4 basically already a perfect enough game on its own that I don't feel excited about a remake.

I felt the same way before the trailer. But whereas the SH2 trailer looked like a dry, boring version of something I already played, Remake4 actually looked fun to play, so I'm onboard. It also bugs me less because the original version of RE4 is widely available on all modern platforms. And I like Mendez's new little hat.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't think that's the same dog. it's not in the right position and it's not even the same color, it's likely just one of the other dead dogs on the farm and IGN's full of poo poo as usual

"Hey! It's (not) that dog!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
eh, nevermind.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 21, 2022

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Gnome de plume posted:

"Hey! It's (not) that dog!"

lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Babe Magnet posted:

I hope so, I didn't watch their video and was just going off an article I read earlier that claimed it was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be clear it is a dog trapped in a bear trap. That doesn't mean it is That Dog but if not apparently the dog isn't in the same place and instead there's a dead dog in a bear trap there.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I mean, it could end up being The Dog and they did kill it for no reason, I wouldn't say for sure that it's not, I just find it more likely that the gaming press is, intentionally or not, just kind of posting things they know will drive clicks and cannibalizing themselves to make it look like they have the exclusive scoop, than the remake team removing an iconic, cinematic moment from the original game

at the same time they did remove the live choice stuff from RE:3 so lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 21, 2022

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wanna play re mercenaries/raid as That Dog

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Why must cap on forever torment me with re4? I want a code Veronica remake

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Noob Saibot posted:

Why must cap on forever torment me with re4? I want a code Veronica remake

Code Veronica is a bad game but that's precisely why it needed a remake so much more than RE4.

It's where I initially thought Capcom was going (RE 2 > RE3 > RE:CVX) but I guess I shouldn't be surprised they chose 4 instead.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Lmao we finally had the chance to finish little hope and accidentally got the best ending again... And found the bus driver what the gently caress was that lol

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
check out contra rogue corps to see how lovely konami is now

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
beautiful

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
the game where you're shooting all the time: now with a weapon cooldown mechanic!

Netrunner
Aug 31, 2019

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1179080/FAITH_The_Unholy_Trinity/

Faith is out on Steam with a 10% launch discount. Looking forward to finally trying this after work tonight!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
laughing for 24 hours straight at "Massively Interactive Live Events"

Ascension should have been called Silent Hillstuck, assuming they'd have been sued for Silent Your Own Hillventure

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
It sounds like a half measure — combine it with a game convention and you’re golden.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

While I seriously doubt Ascension will actually contain "canon-shaping events", the very idea that they decided to put it on the marketing materials as a unique selling point is very funny to me.

quote:

"We're thrilled to unveil this new MILE experience that will take place in the SILENT HILL franchise, where fans can influence this new world and its inhabitants as a community," said Motoi Okamoto, Producer at Konami Digital Entertainment. "With SILENT HILL: Ascension, audience members can work together to impact the story at every turn. We're excited to give fans the chance to shape SILENT HILL canon."

That's how you maintain positive relations with a fanbase you have repeatedly screwed over in the past, by threatening the canon they love so much.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

woops wrong thread

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Marketing: Shape the canon of silent hill

Reality: newspaper in the next game that says "John [NAME], known for his [COLOR][CLOTHING ACCESSORY], died at [AGE] years old by [DEATH METHOD]"

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

:hmmyes:

Except that I watched that new gameplay they showed off yesterday and after seeing Leon hold off the chainsaw with his loving combat knife I absolutely slammed that preorder button.

I'm a sucker for RE4 is what I'm saying, which is why I have it on 3 different consoles, Steam and Quest. And the Switch version supports the Gamecube controller so I can properly feel like I'm in 2004 again playing on my silver gamecube :getin:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Netrunner posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1179080/FAITH_The_Unholy_Trinity/

Faith is out on Steam with a 10% launch discount. Looking forward to finally trying this after work tonight!

I really wanted to like this, but I got into the very first level and there's a stealth segment and I'm at a loss

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I really wanted to like this, but I got into the very first level and there's a stealth segment and I'm at a loss

Hahahaha yeah I caught that too

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Finally... I have the power to make Silent Hill gayer

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I think Ito may actually kill someone before SH2R remakes, given the rate that he posts stuff like this

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1583710890767298560?t=oafmMyR234zRvQAy3aed1Q&s=19

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think Ito may actually kill someone before SH2R remakes, given the rate that he posts stuff like this

https://twitter.com/adsk4/status/1583710890767298560?t=oafmMyR234zRvQAy3aed1Q&s=19

Poor guy

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

were you using the crucifix? there's no stealth in chapter 1 and you're not going to get anywhere by trying to sneak around, you gotta exercise that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Finished scorn. Last area is cool looking, 2nd to last area had too many enemies, neat game overall.