Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's not a power on earth that could compel me to switch from vegetarian to vegan until they find a way to make vegan cheese that doesn't taste like old socks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

some plague rats posted:

There's not a power on earth that could compel me to switch from vegetarian to vegan until they find a way to make vegan cheese that doesn't taste like old socks

You can do it. Vegan cheese is getting a lot better however I have found after a while of not eating cheese at all, you don't really miss it except in very specific circumstances like pizza. I very rarely eat vegan cheese. Part of the reason people do not think they can stop eating cheese is it's literally addictive. It's concentrated milk which means the casomorphine is concentrated. If you're already vegetarian for moral reasons then there is a huge imperative to ditch dairy. The dairy industry is the meat industry with extra torturous steps and is arguably worse than the direct beef industry.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My meat is unbeatable

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/yifullofsin/status/1566503903126069251?cxt=HHwWhoC90YHAq70rAAAA

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cashew cheese sauce is tasty as gently caress and fun to make.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
real cheese is full of opiates so until we put them in vegan cheese it will never be the same

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

cashew cheese sauce is tasty as gently caress and fun to make.

also extremely easy to make, which I appreciate

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Just ate 12 pieces of meat

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Good soup! posted:

Just ate 12 pieces of meat

Are you pro-animal abuse?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

DrBox posted:

Are you pro-animal abuse?

Not unless sucking dick is animal abuse

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Mayor Dave posted:

Not unless sucking dick is animal abuse

Animals can't consent so it depends on whos dick you are sucking.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/DxEverywhere/status/1579159106882936833

Some activist who the feds went after for rescuing a few pigs were found not guilty. TYT sucks or whatever but they interviewed one of the defendants. Lol at all the bullshit the feds tried to pull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3aQTQPJk4

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

DrBox posted:

You can do it. Vegan cheese is getting a lot better however I have found after a while of not eating cheese at all, you don't really miss it except in very specific circumstances like pizza. I very rarely eat vegan cheese. Part of the reason people do not think they can stop eating cheese is it's literally addictive. It's concentrated milk which means the casomorphine is concentrated. If you're already vegetarian for moral reasons then there is a huge imperative to ditch dairy. The dairy industry is the meat industry with extra torturous steps and is arguably worse than the direct beef industry.

dairy free cheese and cow cheese is hardly discerning in some forms. oh and cheese should taste like old socks

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I do my laundry in a timely fashion so my only frame of reference for what old socks are supposed to smell like is when my roommates have cheese.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
He said taste, not smell.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

sorry if my posts are bad I'm tired from sucking dick for money down at the docks until my plug (the guy at aldi) had my fix (havarti cracker cuts) because I am addicted to the concentrated opium in cheese

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm a vegetarian, not vegan. My dairy is basically cream cheese for my bagels, and half/half for coffee. i like half/half because it reduces the acidity, and I'm not aware of a vegan alternative that does the same (I have tried some of them).

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

actionjackson posted:

I'm a vegetarian, not vegan. My dairy is basically cream cheese for my bagels, and half/half for coffee. i like half/half because it reduces the acidity, and I'm not aware of a vegan alternative that does the same (I have tried some of them).

Why are you a vegetarian?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DrBox posted:

Why are you a vegetarian?

I had a somewhat traumatic experience, maybe five years ago I got one of those rotisserie chickens to eat at the grocery store. But when I was eating it, you could obviously see the shape of the whole animal. I felt very sick and stopped right there.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

actionjackson posted:

i'm an oat milk guy but if yr into cold coffee, cold brewing reduces the acidity. i usually put some sorta fake milk in my hot coffee but i can drink cold brew black no problem.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

actionjackson posted:

cum is vegan if it's harvested with consent fyi

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

actionjackson posted:

I had a somewhat traumatic experience, maybe five years ago I got one of those rotisserie chickens to eat at the grocery store. But when I was eating it, you could obviously see the shape of the whole animal. I felt very sick and stopped right there.

Oh, ok. The cruelty in the dairy industry is extreme. You won't find a cow shape in your milk or creamcheese but the dairy industry is the meat industry with more torturous steps.

I hope you can find something else to put in your coffee or on your bagels.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DrBox posted:

Oh, ok. The cruelty in the dairy industry is extreme. You won't find a cow shape in your milk or creamcheese but the dairy industry is the meat industry with more torturous steps.

I hope you can find something else to put in your coffee or on your bagels.

yeah I'm not really interested in debating the topic, I was just answering your question. I'm guessing you're a vegan - I totally get this point of view, and if you were to argue the topic on philosophical principles, I think veganism makes a lot more sense. But it seems like you asked the question just to argue with me when I provided the answer.

I do sometimes put (real) pb on the bagel, and/or a bit of preserves.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm an oat milk guy but if yr into cold coffee, cold brewing reduces the acidity. i usually put some sorta fake milk in my hot coffee but i can drink cold brew black no problem.

I do like cold coffee, I almost always put ice in mine (even in the winter). I don't do cold press because it makes it too easy to drink more coffee than I should for the day.

In general, the ph of black coffee is around 5.0, and dairy milk is 6.5-6.8, so right on the border of acidic and neutral. I've read something like almond milk is around 6.0, but I'm not sure. I just found it wasn't enough. I already drink dark roasts to lower the acidity. I just don't do well with bitterness (probably the same reason I don't drink any beers with an IBU>30)

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Oct 20, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

actionjackson posted:

yeah I'm not really interested in debating the topic, I was just answering your question. I'm guessing you're a vegan - I totally get this point of view, and if you were to argue the topic on philosophical principles, I think veganism makes a lot more sense. But it seems like you asked the question just to argue with me when I provided the answer.

Why are you in a vegan ethics thread talking about your dairy consumption and highlighting the fact that you don't eat meat if you don't want to debate the topic?

Abstaining from meat because an animal was killed but continuing to consume dairy when you know animals are killed is inconsistent.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mainly to see if anyone knew of a vegan alternative to half/half that has a similar ph (6.5-6.8)

though I do want to ask about wool - considering sheep need to be shorn every so often, and that their wool grows back, is using wool considered vegan or not?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

actionjackson posted:

mainly to see if anyone knew of a vegan alternative to half/half that has a similar ph (6.5-6.8)

though I do want to ask about wool - considering sheep need to be shorn every so often, and that their wool grows back, is using wool considered vegan or not?

No. It's still selectively breeding animals to put them in this dependent position and utilizing animals as a resource. If the sheep are rescues and they are only shorn when it's best for them, not optimal for the production and sale of the wool that would be different.

Also tons of industry-wide problems. Look up mulesing and the rate of infant mortality. It's barbarric.

Edit: Here's a link highlighting the issues.

DrBox has issued a correction as of 18:22 on Oct 20, 2022

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

actionjackson posted:

https://www.jameshoffmann.co.uk/weird-coffee-science/hacking-sour-espresso

I haven't tried it with drip coffee. I'm not sure if it'd work because you're now working at different volumes and concentrations but might be worth a shot.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DrBox posted:

No. It's still selectively breeding animals to put them in this dependent position and utilizing animals as a resource. If the sheep are rescues and they are only shorn when it's best for them, not optimal for the production and sale of the wool that would be different.

Also tons of industry-wide problems. Look up mulesing and the rate of infant mortality. It's barbarric.

Edit: Here's a link highlighting the issues.

this is the smartwool site at least - it does mention they don't do mulesing. it sounds like NZ is much better with this stuff than Australia

https://www.smartwool.com/what-matters.html#/smartwool/zqrx-regenerative-merino-wool

what you said about if sheep were rescues, does that actual matter given they are still being used as a resource?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

N_N every page in this thread is just arguing about what vegan products are good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

AnimeIsTrash posted:

N_N every page in this thread is just arguing about what vegan products are good.

Some answers

Beans
Peanut butter
Raspberries
Spaghetti
More beans
Potato chips
Garlic
Oreos
Beans again

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

actionjackson posted:

this is the smartwool site at least - it does mention they don't do mulesing. it sounds like NZ is much better with this stuff than Australia

https://www.smartwool.com/what-matters.html#/smartwool/zqrx-regenerative-merino-wool

That site says they do not do mulesing which is good but it does not mention castration, tail docking, timing births for late winter/early spring leading to high morality rate, life expectancy or what age they go to slaughter, and live transport conditions. Even if all these issues are resolved we are still intentionally breeding animals that are dependent on human intervention and viewing them as a resource means the risk of abuse will always be relatively high. There's a million videos of workers getting frustrated with sheep in the shearing process and harming the sheep. This is a totally predictable byproduct of human nature and our relationship to these animals.

actionjackson posted:

what you said about if sheep were rescues, does that actual matter given they are still being used as a resource?
To be clear, in that situation I am arguing it would be ethical to make use of a byproduct produced by caring for these animals in a way that is only done in the interest of the animal. That is different than breeding sheep for the wool and shearing the sheep to maximize wool production.

It would be the same as someone giving a dog a good home and then selling their feces as manure or selling the fur they naturally shed after brushing them. I would still have a problem with someone breeding dogs for a dog wool business. As soon as your business is reliant on animal products then there are perverse incentives at play to act outside of interests of the animal.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://twitter.com/DxEverywhere/status/1579159106882936833

Some activist who the feds went after for rescuing a few pigs were found not guilty. TYT sucks or whatever but they interviewed one of the defendants. Lol at all the bullshit the feds tried to pull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3aQTQPJk4

knowing they were found not guilty the interview is a laugh a minute. there's video of the crime being committed but prosecution won't show it because it's too horrible. the crime of theft.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

AnimeIsTrash posted:

used products are always vegan because they don’t create demand for new dead animals but sometimes other vegans argue with me about this but you know what gently caress em i like air force 1s

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lesTGAJoVCE

In case you didn't hate the royal family enough.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ELTON JOHN posted:

used products are always vegan because they don’t create demand for new dead animals but sometimes other vegans argue with me about this but you know what gently caress em i like air force 1s

i'm gonna be real my last two fake leather belts have fallen the gently caress apart so i'm prob gonna go buy a used leather belt unless someone can recommend me a cheap decent looking vegan belt that won't disintegrate :shrug:

i did just get some nice cheap comfy vegan dress shoes for a wedding and they did the job, we'll see how long they last

Uncle Boogeyman has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Oct 21, 2022

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm gonna be real my last two fake leather belts have fallen the gently caress apart so i'm prob gonna go buy a used leather belt unless someone can recommend me a cheap decent looking vegan belt that won't disintegrate :shrug:

i did just get some nice cheap comfy vegan dress shoes for a wedding and they did the job, we'll see how long they last

yeah uheck sed leather also better for the environment because at least it doesnt dissolve into microplastics in 3 years

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Old navy stuff sucks in general but their fake leather belts are pretty good. Mine has lasted for over 5 years.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
I'm gonna drop something here that I found on another site:

quote:

Sorry if this is a bit disjointed, but it’s late and I’m still not entirely sure how to put this idea into words. I’m sure there are philosophers who have articulated this way better than I can.

Hierarchies of exploitation and domination are spiritual poison, not just for those at the bottom, but for the privileged classes as well. Yes, those at the top enjoy many privileges, but the exploitatioin and violence they are allowed to carry out against their lessers is ultimately hollow and unfulfilling.

More importantly, the price those dominant in the hierarchy pay for being allowed these things is the precarity of their own perceived dignity and worth. In their worldview, one is either the perpetrator or victim of exploitation and violence, and the value of their own lives is only comprehensible when contrasted with the disposability of their lessers. Because of this, their perceived worthiness of basic dignity can only be maintained by constant cruelty and debasement of those lower in the hierarchy. They react with great hostility to any indication that their “inferiors” have value not just because it goes against their material interests (though that’s certainly the main reason), but because, deprived of “unworthy” against whom to contrast themselves, they are left without a basis to understand why their own lives should have value.

And so we come to veganism. I think this is a big part of why carnists get so offended by comparisons of animal suffering to human suffering: because they can’t understand it as anything except a devaluation of human life. I believe this is also why carnists so often accuse vegans of being misanthropic and anti-human (even though, in my experience, vegans are far more likely than the general population to support things like decolonization, universal healthcare, workers’ rights, etc.). This also ties in, I believe, to why carnists often get so hostile to the mere presence of vegans; if the dominant group can only assert its worthiness by constant violence against those beneath it, then mere refusal to participate in that violence becomes a devaluation of the dominant groups’ lives.

As for how I know this: I lived it. After all, I was a carnist until a few years ago. When I was a carnist, everything I learned about animal cognition and capacity for suffering was a knife in the gut, not just because it made it more difficult to justify my own lifestyle. But once I fully accepted the notion of animals as beings that should be afforded basic dignity, all of those anxieties evaporated. A lingering threat to my perception of myself was destroyed, and now I feel more secure in myself than ever.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

ELTON JOHN posted:

yeah uheck sed leather also better for the environment because at least it doesnt dissolve into microplastics in 3 years

leather is something for which there is no real artificial equivalent, vegan leathers as you've found are all some shade of bad, and often petrochemical based, most vegan leathers are actually horrible for the environment lol

good quality leather is among the longest-lasting and most environmentally sustainable materials you can use for things like apparel, if you can't bring yourself to buy new leather then like you said, used is a good way to get quality products without being part of the demand for new ones

lol'in every time i see someone wearing pleather boots that are literally flaking apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Hobbit feet