Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Change the cap to 118 (maybe 119 will work) and see if that helps. Your monitor can't speed up faster than 1/120th of a second to show frames, it can only slow down. If you set your frame cap to exactly your monitor's refresh rate, then it's possible for frames to still come slightly too fast. Combined with the 4090 being really fast, I can potentially see you having render pipeline issues that cause frame pacing issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Cool, I’ll give that a shot. Thanks!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

So how hard is it to get the FE 4090?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

K8.0 posted:

Change the cap to 118 (maybe 119 will work) and see if that helps. Your monitor can't speed up faster than 1/120th of a second to show frames, it can only slow down. If you set your frame cap to exactly your monitor's refresh rate, then it's possible for frames to still come slightly too fast. Combined with the 4090 being really fast, I can potentially see you having render pipeline issues that cause frame pacing issues.

For reference the complete “best” VRR settings on nvidia are the ones from blurbusters here.

The notes on vsync and framerate limit may be of interest but I wouldn’t expect a thing like that to cause huge issues

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Oh ok to add to the non 4090 talk then. I was able to pickup a gigabyte 3080 in a bestbuy last week for msrp. I thought about it and the last time I bought a card from them in a physical location was a geforce 1 in 99. As for the 3080 longboy I had to move one of my noctua fans to the top so it could fit in my meshify c.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

All the random people in this thread getting 4090's is probably a good sign for supply and, uh, probably not a great thing for Nvidia if supply is this good this early. I don't think I've seen a soul - here or anywhere else - talk about shelling out for anything other than the 4090, if they're even bothering with 40xx at all.

Goons are generally pretty rich, especially in this subforum. I think the rest of us mere mortals are waiting to see what’s down the product stack. I’m determined to spend no more than 700 for my next gpu, but the lower the better.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

buglord posted:

Goons are generally pretty rich, especially in this subforum. I think the rest of us mere mortals are waiting to see what’s down the product stack. I’m determined to spend no more than 700 for my next gpu, but the lower the better.
Same. Midprice build is looking like a 13600K + Z690 + 32 GB DDR5 and the best GPU you can get for $700.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Animal posted:

So how hard is it to get the FE 4090?

Pretty easy? I just checked BestBuy's website (the only place that sells FE's in my neck of the woods :canada:) and there's a backorder, but only 3 days according to the website. There really is none of the supply crunch that there was for the 30s (which is exactly why the 40s are so ludicrously priced)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I hope there’s as much supply for the 4080.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Oh there will be. You don't have to worry about that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kaddish posted:

Monkey's paw curls a finger

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty easy? I just checked BestBuy's website (the only place that sells FE's in my neck of the woods :canada:) and there's a backorder, but only 3 days according to the website. There really is none of the supply crunch that there was for the 30s (which is exactly why the 40s are so ludicrously priced)

In the US it's still a lottery system, but I have to imagine in a month or two it'll be fine.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lockback posted:

Next month: Nvidia announces the 4080 4GB.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

lol @ midprice GPU being $700. nvidia sure moved the window on that one huh.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Great. Whatever the gently caress NVidia did in the latest 522 driver, I have a general elevated idle power draw because loving memory doesn't clock all the way down. Like +30W than before. And the loving fans don't ramp down to a stop on idle. Always something.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

buglord posted:

It isn't even just a matter of affordability: a consumer video card costs more than a round trip from NYC to Tokyo. The prices the market is willing to bear has gotten completely out of whack. If people really love video gaming or need more grunt for work, awesome, but for the rest of us...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

Would people really line up to pay $1200 for it when the 3080 exists?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Esp when you can get a used 3080 for like 1/2 the price and even an MSRP one is well under that absurd price.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

It seems like a dumb buy when a 4090 is better in every way and costs $400 more--and in the land of insane prices, $400 isn't all that much.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yudo posted:

It isn't even just a matter of affordability: a consumer video card costs more than a round trip from NYC to Tokyo. The prices the market is willing to bear has gotten completely out of whack. If people really love video gaming or need more grunt for work, awesome, but for the rest of us...

Used market. I’m right there with you on not being willing to spend a month’s rent on a video card. B

A lot of lower tier cards are fine if you’re not pushing 4k’s worth of pixels. I just picked up a used 2080 and it’s happily doing 1440 / 60 fps on poo poo like the dark tide demo. I’m sure I’ll be tweaking settings etc in the near future as demands increase, but at the end of the day this poo poo is a sliding scale.

I get the people who want the best and are willing to pay for it, but not having a 40-series isn’t going to lock anyone out of playing a new game and time soon.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yudo posted:

It seems like a dumb buy when a 4090 is better in every way and costs $400 more--and in the land of insane prices, $400 isn't all that much.

For a lot of people buying a 4090 would also come with the cost of a new case and PSU.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

Used market. I’m right there with you on not being willing to spend a month’s rent on a video card. B

A lot of lower tier cards are fine if you’re not pushing 4k’s worth of pixels. I just picked up a used 2080 and it’s happily doing 1440 / 60 fps on poo poo like the dark tide demo. I’m sure I’ll be tweaking settings etc in the near future as demands increase, but at the end of the day this poo poo is a sliding scale.

I get the people who want the best and are willing to pay for it, but not having a 40-series isn’t going to lock anyone out of playing a new game and time soon.

I'm going to wait and see what RDNA3 brings to the table, and depending do exactly what you suggest: get a used 3080. Maybe Nvidia will take a note from AMD and lower prices to clear out their 30 series back inventory: my local MicroCenter overflows will 30 series cards at or above MSRP. I'm not holding my breath.

Tiny Timbs posted:

For a lot of people buying a 4090 would also come with the cost of a new case and PSU.

Good point, but I was under the impression that the 4080 FE used a similarly sized cooler to the 4090? Both cards are going to be very big, regardless.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yudo posted:

This is one of those circumstances where perception doesn't line up with reality, in my opinion. There are new cards available in the $200 range that offer great 1080p/120hz or 1440p/60hz performance at maxed details. You don't need a $500 GPU and $400 monitor to have a great time gaming. Below $200 doesnt exist much anymore because that gets into the "its not worth putting in a box and shipping across the ocean and supporting with a warranty for less than $150 per unit these days" zone, but also the very low end penny pincher market is generally covered by IGP's in every CPU and the used market.

I think people see the big prices on the higher end stuff with names they recognize and assume that those things must be required, but thats not the case at all. Gaming is bigger than ever, and there are more and more people who are willing and able to spend a couple grand on it, so the market has stretched up and is much wider.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 21, 2022

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I spoiled myself with an S95B and 4k/144hz monitor so I can't really go backwards after that.

Two years ago people were saying screw it and buying the 3090 at MSRP when available since it was cheaper than scalped 3080.

I think this year the 4090 is pretty compelling and at 100$ more than the previous 3090 launch, it isn't too much to ask. And pretty much setting everything at max and knowing you wont have to worry.

The cards are selling out quick for the first year but it seems to be not so bad as people are actually getting them, i've seen come scalped ones at 1950$ and at that point i'm surprised people are really going through the trouble.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Great. Whatever the gently caress NVidia did in the latest 522 driver, I have a general elevated idle power draw because loving memory doesn't clock all the way down. Like +30W than before. And the loving fans don't ramp down to a stop on idle. Always something.
Oh great, NVidia suddenly decided that I can't have a refresh rate choice anymore on these displays when they run in G-Sync mode, and forced them into 144hz mode, up from the 120hz I had set up, consequently forcing a higher memory clock and making my fans spin constantly due to the added load. Per GPU-Z this makes +40W in difference on the GPU.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Cygni posted:

This is one of those circumstances where perception doesn't line up with reality, in my opinion. There are new cards available in the $200 range that offer great 1080p/120hz or 1440p/60hz performance at maxed details. You don't need a $500 GPU and $400 monitor to have a great time gaming. Below $200 doesnt exist much anymore because that gets into the "its not worth putting in a box and shipping across the ocean and supporting with a warranty for less than $150 per unit these days" zone, but also the very low end penny pincher market is generally covered by IGP's in every CPU and the used market.

I think people see the big prices on the higher end stuff with names they recognize and assume that those things must be required, but thats not the case at all. Gaming is bigger than ever, and there are more and more people who are willing and able to spend a couple grand on it, so the market has stretched up and is much wider.

For sure, older and lower tier cards do great in many circumstances. I'm no buzzkill: if people want to have the newest shiny, go for it. The problem comes in when Nvidia tries to sell as 4070/4060TI for $900 loving dollars. While it didn't work out, that they talked themselves into that being a good idea is remarkable. It doesn't help that Nvidia is doing their damnedest to sell a massive inventory of 2 year old 30 series cards without lowering MSRP. The price bar is being set too high for the class of product being sold, and while Nvidia's costs are considerable this generation, they also decided to go for a massive die on a new and expensive node i.e. throw caution to the wind.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

infraboy posted:

I spoiled myself with an S95B and 4k/144hz monitor so I can't really go backwards after that.

Two years ago people were saying screw it and buying the 3090 at MSRP when available since it was cheaper than scalped 3080.

I think this year the 4090 is pretty compelling and at 100$ more than the previous 3090 launch, it isn't too much to ask. And pretty much setting everything at max and knowing you wont have to worry.

The cards are selling out quick for the first year but it seems to be not so bad as people are actually getting them, i've seen come scalped ones at 1950$ and at that point i'm surprised people are really going through the trouble.

We have identical setups friend. The S95b paired with the 4090 is so good. I even bought the 3090 at MSRP on day 1 of ampere launch as well, though I later sold it for MSRP to a friend as a favor (could have sold it for huge amounts but gently caress all that)

Anyways, just fyi Persona 5 Royal Complete Remastered came out on PC game pass today yall! I highly encourage people to take a look, it's in my top 3 games of all time. IT EVEN HAS AUTO HDR gently caress yeah

Can we try to make a list of games to try the 4090 with?

So far I've checked out:

RDR2 (which to my amazement, the 4090 just barely keeps up with the max settings at high refresh but hoooly poo poo does it look good)
Control maybe?
Forza Horizons 5
Plague Tale Requiem

Would love to hear what games I should get to next!

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing I always keep in mind when I start fretting about fps is that at least on the gaming front the vast majority of the graphically intensive stuff is being cross developed for consoles. Yes there are optimizations etc (and it’s impressive as hell what they can manage with the hardware) but that only take you so far.

100% dude. The 4090 is pretty much objectively stupid as a gaming card. There's very few games that can take full advantage- gently caress, I'm pretty sure there isn't even a CPU that can cap it in everything.

I have a sneaking suspicion that anyone buying this card, for whom it isn't a relatively casual purchase, will plug in the 4090 and immediately be disappointed. At the end of the day it makes the fps better, it doesn't feed your dog or give you a handy.

The 3080 is imo one of the best graphics cards ever made and is completely fine for even discerning people. Like, it runs God of War pc at 100+ fps at 4K.

It's just funny because the 4090 is probably one of the biggest generational uplifts in years, but at the end of the day it's never been better to be a midrange gamer playing in the 3060-3080 tier level especially with the used prices as other goons have pointed out.

Persona 5 PC is my most anticipated game in a long time and it's a loving PS3 game. That's pretty telling imo. There is no great use for the 4090 at present time for 99% of people. You basically need to have a high refresh rate 4K monitor, or a 4K 144hz QD OLED like Infra.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 21, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The thing I always keep in mind when I start fretting about fps is that at least on the gaming front the vast majority of the graphically intensive stuff is being cross developed for consoles. Yes there are optimizations etc (and it’s impressive as hell what they can manage with the hardware) but that only take you so far.

<insert rehash of Series S discussion here lol >

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taima posted:

Would love to hear what games I should get to next!

Try Star citizen lol

Actually don’t because even on a 4090 it runs like poo poo lol.

Definitely try CP2077 though it looks great even on my 3080 so you should be able to make it look fantastic

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Metro Exodus Enhanced should be incredible with that kind of setup

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Yudo posted:

The price bar is being set too high for the class of product being sold, and while Nvidia's costs are considerable this generation, they also decided to go for a massive die on a new and expensive node i.e. throw caution to the wind.

I think rather there's a newness fallacy in play. A 2 year old GPU is objectively a less valuable product when there is a "newer" product on hand but the reality is noone needs a <2 year old GPU for gaming or computing and noone suffers from buying a 3080 in Q4 2022. That card's performance and capability should continue to be relevant for 4+ more years. The fact that Cyrano bought a used 2080 and is getting excellent performance for price is proof of that same concept in play. The fact that users like me can still play whatever they want on a 970@1080p a card and resolution both contemporaneous with the PC when it was built should be your sign moving forward.

The resolution split is probably the path forward as long as displays continue to increase in pixel density at similar rates. The hardware you buy and the resolution you push will inevitably become dated yet you won't lose capability at those lower resolutions and tech will only continue to improve performance.

But I think it's also important to acknowledge that I'm in the minority people post in the GPU thread many people who discuss this kinda thing on the daily like graphics fidelity to the point of looking forward to expensive and almost impractical advances in visual technology. I'm just here for something to do while I wait for cards to get released so I can go back to playing 8 year old multiplayer games on potato settings while rimworld on steam guy doesnt need to upgrade for 2 decades and fortnite phone kid or fifa 2023 on ps4 kid don't even know what a BBS is.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Alright i've sat on my Zotac for a week, time to install this thing. I am kind of excited to play Total War games with everything maxed at 4k, my 3080 would chug sometimes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

istewart posted:

Seems like another Arkham Knight situation. Although their overall press strategy, plus the first vague previews from a week or two ago, strongly suggested that the game was going to be a stinker.
Green Man Gaming was hitting the mailing list up for pre-order discounts harder than usual. Not a good sign.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
AMD finally sorted their poo poo out and released drivers that enable smooth 4k video playback again after like half a year.

MarcusSA posted:

Try Star citizen lol

Actually don’t because even on a 4090 it runs like poo poo lol.

That's because star citizen is a money laundering scheme masquerading as a game

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Set up my new rig - 13600KF, 4090. Some observations :-
1. Lowering PL for both works very well: I've set the former to 65W/125W (PL1/2) and the latter to 80%. I'm hitting low 100s (3440x1440 highest settings + highest RT + DLSS2) for both Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs: Legion using the built-in benchmark. Temps for both CPU and GPU at load are sub-60c. That's a huge change shifting from a workstation A6000 where even with a power limit, I'd hit 84C gaming.

2. Single core performance kills my 3960X which was in practice probably slower than a consumer 3000 CPU to begin with. CPU-Z shows a close to 60% uplift even with the PL limits.

Pretty happy with the buy so far and bemused to think this is my first Intel rig in probably over a decade

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh great, NVidia suddenly decided that I can't have a refresh rate choice anymore on these displays when they run in G-Sync mode, and forced them into 144hz mode, up from the 120hz I had set up, consequently forcing a higher memory clock and making my fans spin constantly due to the added load. Per GPU-Z this makes +40W in difference on the GPU.

I have no idea why your refresh rate options are gone, but I've been getting frustrated by similar memory clock behavior at idle. It's been a problem with nvidia drivers for at least a couple years now and it's annoying as hell.

I have a display where the refresh rate and most resolution options disappear when I set scaling to be on the GPU in the nvidia control panel. The options come back with scaling set to be on the display, so maybe check that to see if it helps here.

shrike82 posted:

Set up my new rig - 13600KF, 4090. Some observations :-
1. Lowering PL for both works very well: I've set the former to 65W/125W (PL1/2) and the latter to 80%. I'm hitting low 100s (3440x1440 highest settings + highest RT + DLSS2) for both Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs: Legion using the built-in benchmark. Temps for both CPU and GPU at load are sub-60c. That's a huge change shifting from a workstation A6000 where even with a power limit, I'd hit 84C gaming.

2. Single core performance kills my 3960X which was in practice probably slower than a consumer 3000 CPU to begin with. CPU-Z shows a close to 60% uplift even with the PL limits.

Pretty happy with the buy so far and bemused to think this is my first Intel rig in probably over a decade

Those CPU power limits strike me as maybe a little too aggressive, but maybe it makes sense if you're looking for a truly silent pc. I have a feeling that the GPU is underutilized here, maybe because you're running into a CPU bottleneck with DLSS enabled. How much is that actually improving your frame rate?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've had the Zotac 4090 sitting in my room for a whole week, time to install it and POWER THE WIN. I actually think it's a good looking card, sturdy 3 slot bracket.

MSI 3080 with a Lian Li TU150 case, just fits in there. The Zotac ain't happening.

Would fit in a Lian Li 215, just.

Ultimately it went into my Cooler Master H500 case, plenty of room no issue. The included Zotac bracket doesn't work easily with the curvy card but found a spot on the end it that doesn't rub the fans. I could hide most of the adapter around the PSU cover and unused hard drive cage. I do worry about a bit of the strain on the connector on the card but doesn't seem too bad with everything closed up.

Looks pretty good with the RGB I think

Size compared to slightly dusty EVGA 3080 hybrid.

Played around with a few games and this thing rocks, quieter even than the hybrid card and hasn't really gone beyond 66c/67c degrees

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1583575465914429440

I'm assuming this will be an AIB-only thing.

infraboy posted:

The included Zotac bracket doesn't work easily with the curvy card but found a spot on the end it that doesn't rub the fans.

My card came with one of these kinds of support brackets that screw into the pci slot covers, and I ended up not using it because it was kind of a pain in the rear end to install it in the Lancool III. Expansion cards actually screw in inside the case, and the angle you have to reach in at can be awkward while also holding this in place. Hopefully it will be fine... I might buy a different support bracket or just make a second attempt with the included one.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 22, 2022

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Didn't see to sag much with the 3 bracket setup but I put mine in the corner resting on a hard drive cage, works well enough and gives the card good support. Time to play some games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Dark Obelisk :worship: