Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

Seems p. realistic

How many of these public relations campaigns are just big facebook ad buys to cause headlines slanted a certain way scroll by people's feeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

BattleMaster posted:

Thinking about the number of people in the Terra Invicta world who are not simply undecided, who don't simply don't care (about the alien invasion that is killing millions) but who rapidly whiplash between different opinions several times per month

The aliens aren't real. It's a plot by the Illuminati deep state (which literally exists) to enact their one world government and kill us all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BattleMaster posted:

Thinking about the number of people in the Terra Invicta world who are not simply undecided, who don't simply don't care (about the alien invasion that is killing millions) but who rapidly whiplash between different opinions several times per month

sure, I used to be Humanity First, but then the Servants got Taylor Swift on board

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Makes me wonder what the rest of the world sees when my operative drags some megastar off to a Humanity First blacksite for some... ah, surfing.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Makes me wonder what the rest of the world sees when my operative drags some megastar off to a Humanity First blacksite for some... ah, surfing.

Thats whats actually happening whenever they say so and so celebrity is going to rehab

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

:gonk: What have you done AI? Is the US a petrol state now?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The Unity / Spoils combination is particularly appropriate. Sure we're all slaving away in the oil fields in New Texas to benefit 11 Trillionaires but we've all agreed this is a good idea and we're well-educated about the pros and cons.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Turning the US into a military dictatorship is an okay idea actually. You lose out on research but the starting armies, navies and miltech mean you can go “find” it somewhere else.

Not putting any points in economy is weird though, and I’ve seen the AI do more of it lately. If you don’t care about research you can put everything into economy, unity and miltech to produce a powerbase that’s almost impossible to crack.

E: lol wait, I thought it was unity/military. Unity/Spoils is bizarre.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've never seen the AI in this game have an eye for sustainability. They burn through everything they touch and end up with useless ships and stations orbiting asteroids that keep defecting because they aren't being paid, which foists the cost of decommissioning them on me.

Which suits me just fine because the really fun part of the game is fighting the Servants and ayys, not the other humans.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Turning the US into a military dictatorship is an okay idea actually. You lose out on research but the starting armies, navies and miltech mean you can go “find” it somewhere else.

Not putting any points in economy is weird though, and I’ve seen the AI do more of it lately. If you don’t care about research you can put everything into economy, unity and miltech to produce a powerbase that’s almost impossible to crack.

E: lol wait, I thought it was unity/military. Unity/Spoils is bizarre.

I was gonna say, they didn't make a military dictatorship, they made a fuckin petrol state.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
anyone know what the little orbs in the mission interface rep? I'm guessing how "loud" an op is

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Grognan posted:

anyone know what the little orbs in the mission interface rep? I'm guessing how "loud" an op is

Pretty sure they're the amount of xp you get from a successful mission.

Don't quote me on it though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's how long it takes, approximately.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
AFAIK they're clocks, and they tell you approximately when in the councilor phase the action happens. Defend Interests is 1 clock so it happens right away. Purge is a few clocks, so it happens towards the end.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The no defend interests mod is the best mod and you shouls all get it. aint nobody got time for that tedious poo poo

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Dorstein posted:

AFAIK they're clocks, and they tell you approximately when in the councilor phase the action happens. Defend Interests is 1 clock so it happens right away. Purge is a few clocks, so it happens towards the end.

Yeah that makes much more sense. Although no idea why they're just circles in the end and mostly ignore them :v:

For actual content:

I'm now convinced that being able to trade for bases at all shouldn't be a thing as it's 2028 and the AI has been shoved out to only having a handful of moon spots and some random asteroids between them all. Didn't require any DI boost shenanigans and instead just lets you go full MC and trade-buy whatever you want with a mountain of orgs.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 22, 2022

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

The no defend interests mod is the best mod and you shouls all get it. aint nobody got time for that tedious poo poo

having a point cracker investigator distracts factions really well like throwing blood in the water. gonna name him Glenn

edit: also if they learned that running ops in your territory gets them shot

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I can't peacefully unify Africa because the countries get coup'd before the timers are up. They have no unrest! Ugh, I guess I have to murder all my rivals again.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

SettingSun posted:

I can't peacefully unify Africa because the countries get coup'd before the timers are up. They have no unrest! Ugh, I guess I have to murder all my rivals again.

Defend interests also helps defend against coups. But yeah the fact that Africa is mostly poor single region nations is why it was the only place I unified through conquest in my game. Doing it peacefully with enemy councillors messing you up is really hard.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

coups are also easy enough in many african nations that you can get good %s with literally command 0-1 councilors

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Yeah they are tiny and poor as hell. I'd like to do an Africa run sometime but unifying them seems really hard. Tanzania has claims on quite a few nations, but rest have few (as far as I know, much of Africa was recently gobbled up by a certain entity). I wonder how difficult it would be to unify some into larger entities and build them up. It'd be cool to have a resistance Africa leading the charge against the aliens.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

East Africa Federation and West African Community are available extremely early and cheaply but won't get you much compared to the effort. Nigerian Confederation is available with unity movements and actually has a decent population and economy, but still has the problem of taking forever to build into a military power because of unrest issues. (Military spending gets diverted from miltech to combat unrest scaling inversely with your Government score, which is actually extremely unhelpful since the efficiency is real bad except on large economies.) I believe African Union (claims on all of Africa) springs from Ethiopia, but have never done it.

Egypt gets a Arab League federation that's expensive but actually pretty decent. They get much of North Africa and the Middle East and are a relatively strong nation themselves, though unable to support more than one army until they do some expansion.

Expanding is actually kind of a pain because you need to take a lot of individual nations, and the ones held by enemies will be allied to global powers. You don't want to end up like me who started WW3 with 50M casualties because Cameroon allied with Eurasia when I wasn't looking. So even for military expansion its best to seize nations politically ahead of time. Also note that you're gonna need a military sugar daddy because occupations are largely impractical with 1, even 2 atomic age armies.

Note that one of the most important things to do is to get the Resource regions to amp up Economy spending, which you need to do a lot of to translate Africa's population into real strength.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 22, 2022

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The ISS defected to me so I turned it into a hotel

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Warmachine posted:

:gonk: What have you done AI? Is the US a petrol state now?

I think the AI has been updated to do this when it feels the country is under threat from public campaign spam, the unity counters public opinion and spoils prevents coups.

It could probably use some more tweaking, but it's better than just letting you walk in and take their stuff.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It seems to me that the AI goes heavily on spoils if it thinks it isn't going to keep the country long. Looting it on the way out.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blorange posted:

I think the AI has been updated to do this when it feels the country is under threat from public campaign spam, the unity counters public opinion and spoils prevents coups.

It could probably use some more tweaking, but it's better than just letting you walk in and take their stuff.

This seems to hold some water based on my experience trying to take the UK out from under the Servants.

BattleMaster posted:

It seems to me that the AI goes heavily on spoils if it thinks it isn't going to keep the country long. Looting it on the way out.

Could be this too. But this game has gotten even more cursed. North Korean T-34s are currently helping China (and the Russian 1st Guards) fight off the second wave of the alien invasion... at the behest of the Servants.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What causes a country's Government score to deteriorate other than Unity and events? I've held Canada and Republic of the Southern Cross for a long time and they're full democracies but my EU is steadily eroding, losing 0.02 every month. I'm not doing any Unity and I'm not getting any events that adjust it.

Also, what causes Cohesion to settle on 0? My EU loses Cohesion faster than Knowledge can raise it, but my Eurasian Union which contains far more regions settles on 4.3 without me investing in anything other than Economy, Welfare, Military, and Build Army.

I'm at the frustrating part of the game where the cool tense parts where I'm barely hanging on are over, I'm turning the tide and finally able to shoot down alien army carriers in orbit but the world is so shattered that I have the only really comparably nice places left so all my time is spent slowly losing them as all the enemies swarm them. And I can't even kill the counselors who are doing it because I guess they have maxed out Espionage so my max Investigation guy on lookout doesn't see them even though my public opinion ticks toward them several times per round, so they are clearly there.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

There's some mysterious Government drains that aren't actually explained anywhere.

The biggest cohesion issues are very low GDP and high inequality, but there's also a cohesion penalty for sheer population so if you build a super-state you'll eventually hit the point you'll need to keep enough IP in unity/knowledge to keep your cohesion stable.

BattleMaster posted:

I'm at the frustrating part of the game where the cool tense parts where I'm barely hanging on are over, I'm turning the tide and finally able to shoot down alien army carriers in orbit but the world is so shattered that I have the only really comparably nice places left so all my time is spent slowly losing them as all the enemies swarm them. And I can't even kill the counselors who are doing it because I guess they have maxed out Espionage so my max Investigation guy on lookout doesn't see them even though my public opinion ticks toward them several times per round, so they are clearly there.

The actual best way to nail the sneaky spies is to turn some chump councilor, so you can maniacally laugh and say "there you are you little poo poo" and assassinate them 2837 times in one turn

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Can't for the life of me nail down one of these sneaky alien fucks. Is there really no better way than to get a ~6% chance and hope?

I managed to save my game from what i thought was certain doom but then the servants took my stations with all my money making and how I'm losing like 50 a day and also way over my mission control limit. rip

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There's some mysterious Government drains that aren't actually explained anywhere.

The biggest cohesion issues are very low GDP and high inequality, but there's also a cohesion penalty for sheer population so if you build a super-state you'll eventually hit the point you'll need to keep enough IP in unity/knowledge to keep your cohesion stable.

The actual best way to nail the sneaky spies is to turn some chump councilor, so you can maniacally laugh and say "there you are you little poo poo" and assassinate them 2837 times in one turn

This was how I flipped the EU in my current game. The Servants managed to grab it and its nukes. I had them infiltrated, and I went and identified all of their councilors and mass purged them to put them over cap and weaken their points. Practically walked right in.

Sankis posted:

Can't for the life of me nail down one of these sneaky alien fucks. Is there really no better way than to get a ~6% chance and hope?

I managed to save my game from what i thought was certain doom but then the servants took my stations with all my money making and how I'm losing like 50 a day and also way over my mission control limit. rip

1) Boost your loyalty by inspiring councilors. Station defense against being flipped is based on average councilor loyalty so it can be extremely worth it to spend a year spamming inspire to get everyone to 25.

2) Unfortunately yeah. Things are easier if the aliens step into territory you control, and especially if they step into territory with bonuses to assassinate/detain missions. There's also a +3 to Assassinate tech if you go down the Transform Phages tech line, and sometimes their security comes from orgs--you might be able to strip them of their non-unique orgs to weaken them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The aliens won, they landed 15 armies and stormed Paris all at once. They killed a few armies and successfully retreated to a place with space defense. All they had to do was keep doing that and my only option would be to gently caress myself up further with nukes.

But then they decided they didn't want to win and started doing this all in a row, where the tech advantage doesn't stop the numerical advantage from instagibbing them

edit: that's a human thrall army but they did it with their actual alien armies too

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 22, 2022

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

How do the aliens decide where to invade? They just dropped right on a coastal region of my militarized India where I could also immediately redirect the entire EU and Chinese armed forces.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

When they did that to me I nuked Paris. It was not that big of a loss.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tom Tucker posted:

How do the aliens decide where to invade? They just dropped right on a coastal region of my militarized India where I could also immediately redirect the entire EU and Chinese armed forces.

I'm not sure. Both invasions so far in my HF game have been Russia and China, both of which I hold, and both of which are trivial to move armies to defend.

Funny enough, you can get a 3-day head start by watching the assault carriers in orbit and noting where they're gonna land when they pick their missions.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

It seems pretty random. The first time they landed in my game it was in northern South America: Brazil, Venezuela, Guyana, etc., with four ships. The second time they landed one ship in Laos, which was pretty easy for my China to deal with, and three ships inside my EU which at the time had nine 7-tech-level armies and utterly demolished them, including rolling a 7% chance to destroy one of the UFOs before the armies even made it out.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I assassinated 6 of the Servants’ counselors in 2 months. Turns out the aliens didn’t like that very much.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Annoyingly the aliens finally landed a UFO because I kept invading any major country where the servants gain ahold of in my new run. So they had to make do with lovely little countries scattered around.

Aliens chose to land in the himalayas. I was like cool, I will declare war on them immediately with the UK/Commonwealth/US, nuke the armies and smash them.

Nope can't declare war because they aren't near a coast lol

By this games logic the war in Afghanistan was impossible.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I wonder if there could be a way to see if your welfare is reducing more co2 than your econ points are pumping into the air.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
hmm the arc laser PD is worth it even if particle beam PD saves you 18 tons on weight. faster refire and an extra 100 km of envelope.

edit: seems like the magic government number to help cohesion off the floor is like 4.5

Arc lasers are an additional tech worth it, they cut ten seconds off the cycle time.

UV arc lasers need exotics though

Grognan fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Are Arc Lasers and the color two sides of the same coin, or are they two different techs? Like are green arc lasers objectively better than green lasers? I'm assuming green lasers are objectively better than IR lasers.