Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone else's play time messed up for Persona on the deck? I opened the game and then put it to sleep and then almost closer to 24 hours later actually opened up the game and looked at the play time and it's somehow at 10 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Wow, thanks for clearing that up (especially before I dropped a cool couple hundred on prescription lenses)! Yeah the text is a bummer, especially knowing it' is the frames themselves, and I really wish/hope there's a way to improve that in the future. Still having a blast just playing games, but I've made sure to stick to my Elden Rings, God of Wars, Red Dead Redemptions, etc. where I'm not really reading a ton which can be a pretty heavy restriction on something this expensive.

I actually hooked them up to my Odin Pro android handheld and the text was super sharp on them but I don't know what the resolution was.

I also hooked them up to my Laptop/ Macbook / iPad and the text still had some blurryness.

It was pretty neat that they just worked for everything I hooked them up to. I didn't even have to activate them.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone else's play time messed up for Persona on the deck? I opened the game and then put it to sleep and then almost closer to 24 hours later actually opened up the game and looked at the play time and it's somehow at 10 hours?

It seems to be a display bug on all games to show way more hours played for a bit, then it refreshes to the correct amount. I've seen it happen on every game when it's loading the Play page.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Commander Keene posted:

7zip is a compression archive, you need to decompress it first, with the 7zip program, it's freeware.

Yeah I know what 7z, winrar, winzip are, etc.

It's just when I extract it from the 7z it's just a bunch of files/folders rather than a single iso like format that the emulator is looking for.

I assumed I had to run all of those folders though another app or something to combine them into the single file format that the emulator needs.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Telltolin posted:

So using emudeck is it possible to get xenia running without a windows partition? I found the place to update it and even select canary. It says it updated it successfully, but I don't see it installed anywhere

e: i suspect if it's not possible yet it will be soon
I was able to download canary version directly from github and using proton experimental it will run and even launch a game, but the graphics were glitched to high hell and it crashed shortly after

I should probably stop being lazy and get a new SD card specifically for windows poo poo already
Listen I went to all the effort of buying a 360 to rip games from my x360 collection, I want to play tenchu z again ok
but HANDHELD

It depends how long it takes before Xenia actually gets a Linux version, once that happens it'll almost certainly become part of the base Emudeck install. Also there's supposed to be official dual-boot support coming at some point.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kin posted:

It's just when I extract it from the 7z it's just a bunch of files/folders rather than a single iso like format that the emulator is looking for.

I assumed I had to run all of those folders though another app or something to combine them into the single file format that the emulator needs.
Nope, if you have the meta.xml file in one of those folders you're good to go, just put the whole drat thing in the roms\Wii U\roms directory.

I initially thought you were saying you had a bunch of .app and .tik files, and those need decrypting before they can be used in Cemu.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Wanted to say, Tormented Souls runs pretty great on Deck and is a very good old schoolish RE/SH type game. Big mansion to explore, puzzles that make you feel clever when you figure them out but they aren't super hard. Combat is kind of meh and voice acting is atrocious but everything else is pretty great.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Kin posted:

cemu doesn't strictly require a single-file format. There are a few single-files it supports but you'll commonly find RPX/loadiine or NUS archives; RPX has three folders, code meta and content, while NUS has a bunch of .h3 and .app files (apparently, haven't seen one myself). NUS is encrypted and needs cdecrypt to convert to something usable by cemu, but RPX is decrypted and just goes in a folder. so ~/Emulation/roms/wiiu/[gamename] has your game's code, meta, and content folders.

RPX is sometimes called loadiine; Wii U executables are named with a .rpx extension, and loadiine is the earliest/most popular tool used on a Wii U for running decrypted game dumps.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like the Steam Deck. It's pretty cool though has a definite learning curve if you want to do anything other than Steam games.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I actually hooked them up to my Odin Pro android handheld and the text was super sharp on them but I don't know what the resolution was.

I also hooked them up to my Laptop/ Macbook / iPad and the text still had some blurryness.

It was pretty neat that they just worked for everything I hooked them up to. I didn't even have to activate them.

So the blurry text is a software issue when taking input from certain devices? Good that it can be fixed, but probably not anytime soon. It's a shame it doesn't seem like the company has much of a software team, because its sadly lacking in much support without even any vague timelines on it improving

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

So the blurry text is a software issue when taking input from certain devices? Good that it can be fixed, but probably not anytime soon. It's a shame it doesn't seem like the company has much of a software team, because its sadly lacking in much support without even any vague timelines on it improving

I wonder if it's a resolution thing? I know the deck is 800p normally, but the glasses display at 1080p. Not smart enough to guess more than that or on how to try and"force" output resolution.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 22, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PageMaster posted:

I wonder if it's a resolution thing? I know the deck is 800p normally, but the glasses output 1080p. Not smart enough to guess more than that or on how to try and"force" output resolution.

You can change the output resolution pretty easy in the deck. I switched it to 720p and it still seemed blurry to my wife and I but it was a bit better.

I don't know what resolution the android device was running at though as I couldn't figure out how to check lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mario 3D World was a big hit, looked and ran perfect! Not sure what I'm supposed to do when a Captain Toad level tells me to blow on the Wii U mic if I'm playing on an Xbox controller though lol

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh drat Vampire Survivors is on Xbox now? Kind of glad I had it here first because there's no way in hell I can get all the achievements and it would bug me there

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I installed Vampire Survivors and with a nice easy area build got the framerate down to 13fps. I'm hoping with a max projectile build I can get it into single figures.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Two control mapping questions:

1) how do I bind L4 to “double left mouse click”, say 150ms apart if you make me choose? I’ve tried several things but they aren’t working in Potionomics

2) how do I bind left trackpad to scroll-wheel in desktop mode? my controller settings aren’t really changeable when I start Steam from desktop mode and it is driving me nuts (yarr). I’d also accept left-stick-as-scroll-wheel if that’s easier somehow?

I’m sure I should be able to figure this out, but so far nope!

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

You can change the output resolution pretty easy in the deck. I switched it to 720p and it still seemed blurry to my wife and I but it was a bit better.

I don't know what resolution the android device was running at though as I couldn't figure out how to check lol

Yeah I changed to 1080p output and no help on the text. Everything was smaller which made me think it should be clearer, but it wasn't. Hey if it is my astigmatism it's my lucky day because ali express is selling prescription nreal lenses for just 42 dollars (I will not be doing this)!

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Two control mapping questions:

1) how do I bind L4 to “double left mouse click”, say 150ms apart if you make me choose? I’ve tried several things but they aren’t working in Potionomics

2) how do I bind left trackpad to scroll-wheel in desktop mode? my controller settings aren’t really changeable when I start Steam from desktop mode and it is driving me nuts (yarr). I’d also accept left-stick-as-scroll-wheel if that’s easier somehow?

I’m sure I should be able to figure this out, but so far nope!

Open Steam in desktop mode > Settings > Controller > Desktop configuration

Select the Scroll tile under Add Action Layer

It's not the most intuitive interface

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

loopsheloop posted:

Open Steam in desktop mode > Settings > Controller > Desktop configuration

Select the Scroll tile under Add Action Layer

It's not the most intuitive interface

Note that even doing this, some games just don't like it for whatever reason. I spent like two hours trying to get some simple macros working in path of exile on the deck and the game just refused to accept the inputs.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

loquacius posted:

Mario 3D World was a big hit, looked and ran perfect! Not sure what I'm supposed to do when a Captain Toad level tells me to blow on the Wii U mic if I'm playing on an Xbox controller though lol

I think it's R3 (pushing on the right stick)

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

njsykora posted:

It depends how long it takes before Xenia actually gets a Linux version, once that happens it'll almost certainly become part of the base Emudeck install. Also there's supposed to be official dual-boot support coming at some point.

Sadly after some experimentation on PC, Tenchu Z isn't in a playable state on xenia right now :( on DX or vulkan

Maybe one day my dream can come true

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Not to turn this into AR Glasses chat, so this'll be my last post on it, but I did find that by bending the frames to squeeze them around my head and prescription lenses makes everything (including text) clear up, so I'm not a very reliable source on the true blurriness, but I will be trying for the rx inserts to see.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Not to turn this into AR Glasses chat, so this'll be my last post on it, but I did find that by bending the frames to squeeze them around my head and prescription lenses makes everything (including text) clear up, so I'm not a very reliable source on the true blurriness, but I will be trying for the rx inserts to see.

Yeah my wife doesn't need an Rx and she said the same thing as I was so I dunno maybe they just aren't for me.

I do wish there was an easier way to charge and play though while wearing the AR Glasses.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah my wife doesn't need an Rx and she said the same thing as I was so I dunno maybe they just aren't for me.

I do wish there was an easier way to charge and play though while wearing the AR Glasses.

Well we're about to see if I'm a big dumb idiot because I ordered the Ali-Express rx lens.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Well we're about to see if I'm a big dumb idiot because I ordered the Ali-Express rx lens.

Well I'm interested in knowing if it solves it! Maybe I should get some old man reading glasses and see lol

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lutris is much better than Heroic Launcher!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a site that people have been using for how well some of the emulated games run on the deck? I was wanting to try and see how well the switch fire emblem game runs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's the compatibility lists for Yuzu and Ryujinx, that you should check first to see if they even run at all. Also just searching for just about any Switch game and "Steam Deck" on Youtube will get you a video of someone playing it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

There's the compatibility lists for Yuzu and Ryujinx, that you should check first to see if they even run at all. Also just searching for just about any Switch game and "Steam Deck" on Youtube will get you a video of someone playing it

Ok thanks!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-NpiHdJEI

New Beta update that allows you to check the make/serial numbers of the components in your Deck in the system but you can access them on your Steam Account too here: https://store.steampowered.com/account/hardwareused

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a way to use L4/L5 and R4/R5 with emu deck? I couldn’t configure it in retroarch so it doesn’t look possible.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vegetable posted:

Is there a way to use L4/L5 and R4/R5 with emu deck? I couldn’t configure it in retroarch so it doesn’t look possible.
I don't think the emulators recognize the buttons by themselves, you have to set them in Steam Input. You could have them mimic other buttons the emulator recognizes or set them to otherwise inaccessible keyboard shortcuts, for example. There shouldn't be any emulated games that really require use of the back buttons to function, most controllers don't have as many buttons as the Deck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vegetable posted:

Set the controls in Steam Input, not within RetroArch. I don't think any emulator will detect the back buttons unless Valve set them to input some Xinput standard.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

MarcusSA posted:

Is there a site that people have been using for how well some of the emulated games run on the deck? I was wanting to try and see how well the switch fire emblem game runs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fRqvAh_wW8Ho_8i966CCSBgPJ2R_SuDFIvvKsQCv05w/htmlview

this is a crowdsourced sheet the community has done. not the best method but at least people tend to put some settings in there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sigher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-NpiHdJEI

New Beta update that allows you to check the make/serial numbers of the components in your Deck in the system but you can access them on your Steam Account too here: https://store.steampowered.com/account/hardwareused

Turns out my Deck has the noisier Delta fan, ordered the new fan from iFixit.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

Nope, if you have the meta.xml file in one of those folders you're good to go, just put the whole drat thing in the roms\Wii U\roms directory.

I initially thought you were saying you had a bunch of .app and .tik files, and those need decrypting before they can be used in Cemu.

Aha yeah, that's what I do have. A folder with a bunch of .app, .h3, .cert, .tik and tmd files

I've also got an update/DLC 7z with the same files within in and no idea how to apply that the to the game file.

I found a guide that says to chuck CDecrypt into the ROM folder I have and just drag the cert and tik files onto the exe.

Doing that has created 3 folders and I think those are what I need to add to the ROMs folder. They're slightly smaller than the original 7s file size though which has me wondering if I'm missing something.

Edit: yup, so that managed to get the base game to work.

I read that I should do the same steps for game updates and then go into cemu to apply them. However, I can't seem to find the cemu emulator installed on my deck. Steam ROM manager says it's active as a parser and find the games, but I can't find the standalone emulator to tweak settings, etc

Kin fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 22, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kin posted:

Aha yeah, that's what I do have. A folder with a bunch of .app, .h3, .cert, .tik and tmd files

I've also got an update/DLC 7z with the same files within in and no idea how to apply that the to the game file.

I found a guide that says to chuck CDecrypt into the ROM folder I have and just drag the cert and tik files onto the exe.

Doing that has created 3 folders and I think those are what I need to add to the ROMs folder. They're slightly smaller than the original 7s file size though which has me wondering if I'm missing something.

Edit: yup, so that managed to get the base game to work.

I read that I should do the same steps for game updates and then go into cemu to apply them. However, I can't seem to find the cemu emulator installed on my deck. Steam ROM manager says it's active as a parser and find the games, but I can't find the standalone emulator to tweak settings, etc
Check your non-Steam games in your library, that's where it puts the standalone emulators. I recommend doing the setup in desktop mode, it's a bit less finicky about multiple windows being open and mouse menus IME.

For updates/DLC you need to actually install them AFAIK, there's an option in the Cemu menus to do so, then you just point it to the meta.xml file. Once the title is installed you can delete it from the roms directory, they're installed to the emulator's simulated system memory.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Thanks for that. After fiddling around it seemed somewhat straightforward (once I figured out where everything was and where things needed placed).

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So wait do the nreal Airs fit with eyeglasses underneath them at all? Like, "not ideal, but you can do it" or "absolutely not?" I know they have inserts for prescription lenses but it'd be nice to know the answer to the former first, and second, I'm not aware of a place where you can send in the inserts to have them fit lenses anyway (I've ordered eyeglasses online most recently, and don't plan to use local places anymore.)

MarcusSA posted:

For Android devices, I'm assuming they run at the native resolution of the display, and you can use hardware utilities (e.g. CPU-Z) to check the resolution if you can't just look up the specs online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Just got BotW up and running on Deck. I think it looks better than the switch version but, that could just be confirmation bias.

When it comes to the graphics mods, what's the limit that would be recommended for the deck?

I've got the framerate fix applied as well as the aspect ratio, but the resolutions look like they go up to silly levels.

Is the deck powerful enough to crank all of those up to max or is BotW still an incredibly demanding game? Or is max graphics settings overkill for the screen size, even if I occasionally hope to play it docked?