Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So they didn't bother to do the battery recall (which means they shouldn't have even listed the vehicle) yet somehow they have the parts prepped and ready to go for an install by Wednesday? Definitely be ready for some bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Wayne Knight posted:

Welp, that was fast. Gonna trade in the Spark EV for a Bolt EUV on Sunday. Had to compromise on the color (Gray Ghost Metallic, wanted black or red). Of course I'll post pictures when/if it happens.

EDIT: Let the shenanigans begin! As soon as they process the deposit I get a call that they haven't done the battery recall yet. We were gonna sign and pick it up Sunday, but it might not be ready until Wednesday.
Could be an honest mistake, but I'm on high alert for bullshit.

Yeah pretty sure it's a fairly big no-no to be taking deposits on a car that still has an active recall

It'll probably be fine but that's a little sketchy

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I picked up two flats today, so my Subaru is out of commission, borrowed the neighbor's truck while he's out of town. (with permission! He's parking it at my place while he's on vacation.) And even though it's a Tacoma, I loving hate driving trucks, they are so wallowy and huge.

But yeah, my dad has been looking at EV trucks, so, by extension, I have been looking at EV Trucks. And while I think the Ford Lightning will be the one to beat, he's still not ruling out the (sigh) Cybertruck. He wants to see both hit the market before he buys the second model year.

The point: Been thinking about EV trucks as what I might get post-2035-post-Subaru (because everyone can do AWD easily with electric, and boxer engines mean nothing to an EV), was driving a midsize truck, is there a world in which there are EV trucks built using a car chassis, thus finally killing the Chicken Tax and I can finally have the EV kei truck of my dreams?

(yes, I am familiar with the Acty Dcty project)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 22, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I picked up two flats today, so my Subaru is out of commission, borrowed the neighbor's truck while he's out of town. (with permission! He's parking it at my place while he's on vacation.) And even though it's a Tacoma, I loving hate driving trucks, they are so wallowy and huge.

But yeah, my dad has been looking at EV trucks, so, by extension, I have been looking at EV Trucks. And while I think the Ford Lightning will be the one to beat, he's still not ruling out the (sigh) Cybertruck. He wants to see both hit the market before he buys the second model year.

The point: Been thinking about EV trucks as what I might get post-2035-post-Subaru (because everyone can do AWD easily with electric, and boxer engines mean nothing to an EV), was driving a midsize truck, is there a world in which there are EV trucks built using a car chassis, thus finally killing the Chicken Tax and I can finally have the EV kei truck of my dreams?

Ford's next EV pickup will probably share bits with the Mach-E

The Maverick, while only a hybrid, is on the same platform as the Focus.

Foxconn is going to be building this in Ohio.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Tiny Timbs posted:

So they didn't bother to do the battery recall (which means they shouldn't have even listed the vehicle) yet somehow they have the parts prepped and ready to go for an install by Wednesday? Definitely be ready for some bullshit.

That actually kinda checks, GM promised to ship all batteries for the lowest priority Bolts (unsold inventory) by Oct 1st, which they've done, the dealer I bought mine from has a massive stack of the crates sitting in their lot waiting to go back. The service centers are obviously slammed trying to finish all the battery swaps, so it makes sense they wouldn't have done this one yet.

I was able to put a deposit on my Bolt in February without the recall done (they told me May, lol)

Wayne Knight posted:

Welp, that was fast. Gonna trade in the Spark EV for a Bolt EUV on Sunday. Had to compromise on the color (Gray Ghost Metallic, wanted black or red). Of course I'll post pictures when/if it happens.

EDIT: Let the shenanigans begin! As soon as they process the deposit I get a call that they haven't done the battery recall yet. We were gonna sign and pick it up Sunday, but it might not be ready until Wednesday.
Could be an honest mistake, but I'm on high alert for bullshit.

I'm not a big Gray fan, but it's a pretty attractive gray. As I said above, given the circumstances around the recall I'd imagine it was an honest mistake, not that I'd ever trust a dealership.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And while I think the Ford Lightning will be the one to beat, he's still not ruling out the (sigh) Cybertruck. He wants to see both hit the market before he buys the second model year.

Even if the Cybertruck hits the market next year, they'll be chewing through reservations for a couple years.

Also, I got my deposit back from Ford today, in the form of a physical check for some loving reason. :confuoot:

gently caress you Ford!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why do you blame ford for something that was obviously dealership shenanigans?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Sorry, unrelated to the rest of my post, gently caress Ford for making the Mach-E financially unviable for me, leading to the refund check.

E: the dealer was fine, took my order no problem, and when I asked to cancel didn't give my any grief and just did it and mailed the check.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

hobbez posted:

Yeah pretty sure it's a fairly big no-no to be taking deposits on a car that still has an active recall

It'll probably be fine but that's a little sketchy

It’s not weird or sketchy at all, they can take a deposit they just can’t sell it and have it roll off the lot until the recall is done.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Ford's next EV pickup will probably share bits with the Mach-E

The Maverick, while only a hybrid, is on the same platform as the Focus.

Foxconn is going to be building this in Ohio.

I guess they are going to just keep building taller trucks until they all look like baba yaga's Hut

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’m pretty sure the EV Silverado will be purchasable before the cyber truck

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I guess they are going to just keep building taller trucks until they all look like baba yaga's Hut

Truck of white, hit that tyke

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If your timeline is long enough I’d put in a deposit on a Silverado.

It will probably be the most cost effective electric truck around for a while

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I just want a two door with a big bed and maybe someone will offer one.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Elviscat posted:

Sorry, unrelated to the rest of my post, gently caress Ford for making the Mach-E financially unviable for me, leading to the refund check.

Counterpoint: Buying a Mach-E might be one of the best financial decisions I ever made. As far as I can tell, the car is going to be worth $10k+ more than I paid for it at 2.49% Ford APR the moment I drive it off the lot, if it will just get to the goddamn lot from 25 miles away at the rail depot.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Three Olives posted:

Counterpoint: Buying a Mach-E might be one of the best financial decisions I ever made. As far as I can tell, the car is going to be worth $10k+ more than I paid for it at 2.49% Ford APR the moment I drive it off the lot, if it will just get to the goddamn lot from 25 miles away at the rail depot.

You mean $10,065+.

bird with big dick posted:

Jesus christ quit trying to screw the next buyer of your car out of the charger just so you can sell it on eBay for $65.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I parked next to an e-tron GT RS today, it looks really great in white. Looking inside the GT's interior is still fantastic.

Weird they look so different from this angle.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sorry, but your Taycan looks way better.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have a test drive tomorrow of both the original etron and the Q4 etron.

I shall report back on my findings.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I parked next to an e-tron GT RS today, it looks really great in white. Looking inside the GT's interior is still fantastic.

From the Harry's Garage episode on the GT, the interior does indeed look amazing, but those tail lights... :chloe:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nitrox posted:

Why do you blame ford for something that was obviously dealership shenanigans?

IIRC the topic was about online dealership inventories basically being lies, and that's absolutely something that Ford can influence. Some manufacturers (Polestar, Volvo, Tesla) show you actual inventory instead of a storybook of solely hypothetical vehicles

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC the topic was about online dealership inventories basically being lies, and that's absolutely something that Ford can influence. Some manufacturers (Polestar, Volvo, Tesla) show you actual inventory instead of a storybook of solely hypothetical vehicles

This is true, before I decided to give up on buying a in-stock Mach-E because it would be like lighting a pile of cash on fire, I spend hours chasing down allegedly for sale Mach-Es listed at MSRP. It's all lies, right now one of the local Ford dealerships is currently listing 9 Mach-Es all "In transit or Currently on Order or Extended Inventory", some at MSRP and "Get today's price" and several just flat out marked up $12,500.

When I was trying to chase one down, 90% of the places just said "That's a customer order, it's just automatically listed, it's not for sale, but let me tell you about the Ford Explorer that we have in stock!"

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

QuarkJets posted:

I dunno about Volvo, my local dealer website shows like 10 C40 Recharges that absolutely do not exist on the lot. Clicking through to one of the cars does helpfully note that it’s available within 11 weeks if you order.

When I was on my EV hunt some dealers websites showed customer orders in inventory but also had a note on the page that it was a special order and not available for purchase. I believe some of the Ford dealers did this as well. The dealer inventory systems all get automatically populated by pulling from the manufacturer tracking system so I think it comes down to how it’s implemented on the dealer website.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I do think, not that this is not a dealership problem, that dealers were just unprepared for the kind of buyers that would be jumping into the EV market with very specific expectations. I think they were still of the belief that when someone came in for a Mach-E it would be like having someone come on the lot thinking wanting to look at Ford Edge and having them drive off in a Ford Explorer, not having highly educated buyers coming in for a Mach-E ER RWD Premium and the alternatives were absolutely not a Mach-E RWD Select or a Ford Edge Titanium but well, I have a $500 deposit on a Volvo Recharge XC40 , gently caress you for wasting my time, rear end in a top hat.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
And yet they’ve had plenty of time to adapt to that sort of buyer, and have chosen not to.

Tesla plays fast and loose with regulations and cuts basically any corner they can (I’m deliberately not sharing my long-winded opinions on their upper management), but I’d be lying if I said the vehicle-purchase process isn’t a strong reason I would consider buying another in the future.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It seems like Volvo is moving in the right direction (Polestar is kind of their test for online purchasing) so hopefully they go all in and it makes more companies do it too.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Why do I hate Audis so much? Like, just seeing this photo made me angry.

Anyway your Porsche looks great :)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sonic Dude posted:

And yet they’ve had plenty of time to adapt to that sort of buyer, and have chosen not to.

I’m not really sure they can adapt. They’re just middlemen. If they don’t have what you want to buy their only option is to convince you that you want something else. They can’t make more of what you want and they lose money if they can’t sell what they have. The sales people are usually commissioned (because that’s how companies keep costs low when sales people aren’t productive) so whether they get paid or not depends on their ability to get you to buy something and “sorry, I only want the thing that you don’t have” doesn’t help them. If they piss of 9 customers and make a sale on the 10th that’s far better from both their perspective and the dealerships perspective than having 10 customers leave thinking “what a pleasant experience” but having bought nothing.

It’s just not a model that’s conducive to a pleasant customer experience and the fact that some dealers make it better than others doesn’t really change that. The incentives are just hosed up.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Yeah, all of that is true. Dealerships are not incentivized to change, and all of their support (from manufacturers, suppliers, etc.) is set up for the “cram whatever the gently caress you’ve got down your prospect’s throat” model. Ford (or whoever) would need to support that shift in a big way, make it attractive and profitable to old coots who own dealerships and think EVs should “stay in California,” and even then they’d probably just have to force the change after 90% of their dealerships didn’t care anyway.

Volvo making the shift with a sub-brand was a good way to go about that. Ford might have been able to if they sold the Mach-E and Lightning under a new make, or even co-opted the Mustang brand (but then they’d incur the ire of a bunch of chuds who already scream “it’s not a real Mustang” at anyone who will listen).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Sonic Dude posted:

Tesla plays fast and loose with regulations and cuts basically any corner they can (I’m deliberately not sharing my long-winded opinions on their upper management), but I’d be lying if I said the vehicle-purchase process isn’t a strong reason I would consider buying another in the future.

One thing that can at least take the sting out of giving your money to said "upper management" is at least they aren't dictators in charge of oil producing countries. I sometimes want to make a large bumper sticker pointing out that anyone who buys petroleum based fuel anywhere in the world is ultimately giving money to Putin, MBS and a whole bunch of other truly horrible people. See it is a global market so it doesn't matter where your gasoline actually comes from, like even the tar sands of Canada or somewhere in the USA, you buying gasoline/diesel is also ultimately raising the price of the oil that Putin, MBS and a bunch of other genocidal dictators are selling.

Although we could do with a whole lot less made in China stuff for a similar reason, hopefully even if the republicans take control of the government they don't gently caress it up and remove the domestic production requirements that passed in the climate bill. It is probably about time we deal with the fact that "cheap labor" isn't. Never mind that it should just be more efficient/better to build the stuff we use here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FWIW, I think that dealerships are deliberately breaking online search tools like Autotrader. They don't want people going "there's a 2022 Mach-E being sold 300 miles away for MSRP? Great!" Then going and buying it, they want to keep price fixing and getting people in lots where their salespeople can pressure them, a functional online search tool makes that harder.

Last time I was looking for dirt bikes I found a dealer with a massive backstock of the bike I wanted from the last model year, for over $5k off MSRP, drove about 250 miles, put it in the truck and headed home.

Then again last time I went to a dealership because they totally really had Mach-E's in stock, the sales dude was like "nah, we don't have any, want me to ask the manager if you can drive his GT? It's sick! Want to put in an order? No? Have a good one!" So maybe it's like this because the world is loving insane and gently caress head corporations have destroyed the internet.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

kill me now posted:

It’s not weird or sketchy at all, they can take a deposit they just can’t sell it and have it roll off the lot until the recall is done.

This is how I bought my Bolt. The dealership still pulled a bunch of bullshit.

They started by telling me they had the parts for the recall ready to go, that story changed pretty drat quick when I told them I was going to call my coworker who had been waiting months to get a battery for his Bolt.

They then told me that it would be six weeks from the time of purchase. They had no idea why I was calling when I called at the six week mark and asked for an update.

They also hosed me around on my trade in but that is nothing new.

It was just shocking how they kept pulling random poo poo out of there asses when I clearly understood how things worked and was able to call them out on every single lie.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Elviscat posted:

That actually kinda checks, GM promised to ship all batteries for the lowest priority Bolts (unsold inventory) by Oct 1st, which they've done, the dealer I bought mine from has a massive stack of the crates sitting in their lot waiting to go back. The service centers are obviously slammed trying to finish all the battery swaps, so it makes sense they wouldn't have done this one yet.

I was able to put a deposit on my Bolt in February without the recall done (they told me May, lol)

I'm not a big Gray fan, but it's a pretty attractive gray. As I said above, given the circumstances around the recall I'd imagine it was an honest mistake, not that I'd ever trust a dealership.

Haven't heard a thing from GM since getting the software update a year and a half ago. I'm on the west coast so maybe the new batteries are going to the important parts of Canada first. Doesn't really matter since the only difference it's made is being more careful about SOC before the occasional trip down island. So far the Bolt has not caught fire and burned down the sketchy utility shed that needs replacing anyway.

I like grey but I've driven too many vehicles that colour and it's not good for Cascadia. "Mist Grey" was available when we bought our Bolt but we didn't want another small vehicle in "Road Colour on a Misty November Morning When the Entire World is the Same Colour as the Road" grey. The hi-vis green was tempting but a little too radical.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Today we said goodbye to a very dear friend.

We rolled into the parking spot at the dealer with exactly 51,000 miles on the odo.

Bought for $10k with 29k miles.
6 years, 3 sets of wipers, 3 cabin air filters, one set of tires, and two smiling faces.
Traded in for $6500 with 51k miles.

The Spark is mighty, long live the Spark. I absolutely loved this car.

We also said hello to a brand new friend.

No time for glamor shots just yet, will take more pictures at a later date.
2022 EUV Premier, with the sound and sun package. It is very nice. Our first car with carplay, ventilated seats, or 360º camera. Very impressive for the price.

The dealership experience was honestly fine, and I was on HIGH ALERT for bullshit. It still took hours for some reason, but there was no funny business beyond the $2k markup. I ended up sucking it up and accepting it as a "skip the build queue" fee. They offered some protection package exactly once, and didn't push when we declined. Honestly nice people. I hope they take good care of the Spark so it can make new friends.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nice!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

That spark was cute as a button.

Nice new EUV you got there. I've never actually seen inside one before, so I really hope you post some interior shots (but I won't whine if you don't).

Glad you had a pleasant experience buying it. It's a shame it isn't blue, though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

That spark was cute as a button.

Nice new EUV you got there. I've never actually seen inside one before, so I really hope you post some interior shots (but I won't whine if you don't).

Glad you had a pleasant experience buying it. It's a shame it isn't blue, though.

On second thought, I might whine a little.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I hot to sit/look at some EUVs, they actually have less cargo space than the regular Bolt, and the passenger space is more proportioned like, uh, a regular car.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

I hot to sit/look at some EUVs, they actually have less cargo space than the regular Bolt, and the passenger space is more proportioned like, uh, a regular car.

one weird trick to sell a hatchback in america by branding it as an *UV

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Wayne Knight posted:

We rolled into the parking spot at the dealer with exactly 51,000 miles on the odo.

6 years, 3 sets of wipers, 3 cabin air filters, one set of tires, and two smiling faces.

2022 EUV Premier, with the sound and sun package. It is very nice. Our first car with carplay, ventilated seats, or 360º camera. Very impressive for the price.

The dealership experience was honestly fine, and I was on HIGH ALERT for bullshit. It still took hours for some reason, but there was no funny business beyond the $2k markup. I ended up sucking it up and accepting it as a "skip the build queue" fee. They offered some protection package exactly once, and didn't push when we declined. Honestly nice people. I hope they take good care of the Spark so it can make new friends.

Congrats!! The grey looks awesome. I really like the shape of the headlights, and that one angle in the middle of the hood. Even the black Chevy logo is subtle and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Wayne Knight posted:

What was the total out the door price if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking about buying this exact one