Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Isn't it Nephalem in this case?
Easy mistake to make, admittedly. Whenever I have to remember fantasy words from years ago I go off last known good pronunciation, which can lead to errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
Do you guys have (or have you guys noticed) any preferred lengths for updates compared to update frequency in screenshot LPs? I can pump out a significant amount of content without tiring but I worry posting too frequently might overwhelm the thread. Like, my first successful LP I posted ~1200 words nearly every day and I’m pretty sure the flood of content disrupted conversations and drove a few people away. In my current LP I’m going for slightly longer updates every two or three days, but I still worry about overwhelming readers. Do you guys have word counts you shoot for or that you’ve noticed get better reactions?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

IMO most people who write SSLPs write updates that are a little too long. The one update you've got for your current LP so far is fine. If there's a discussion going on that you don't want to disrupt, you can just hold off on posting and work on a backlog for a bit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ultrafilter posted:

IMO most people who write SSLPs write updates that are a little too long.

It's true, I do

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:v: I usually gauge it by page length and try to shoot for around 8-11 pages on average unless a story beat is too fitting of a cutoff to pass up, but I have no clue whether thats a good thing and Im also impatient enough that i sometimes get tempted to do daily updates if I have enough buffer lol

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've tried many different things in the past for update length. I've taken the time to set up multiple scripts from which to pull screenshots, parceling them out more or less at a point where I think "that's enough." I've gone off nothing but gut feeling. I've tried to limit the number of screenshots. With my two most recent LPs I've hit upon just limiting myself to approximately half the character limit for a post. 25,000 characters is a surprisingly small amount to work with and it helps keep updates from taking 12-14 hours to write because "oh I'll stop at 120 screenshots" in a super dialogue heavy update.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I usually try to limit myself to a certain amount of gameplay, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on whether anything meaningful happens. Sometimes an hour of gameplay is an extra long update if it's full of plot or new enemies/mechanics, sometimes five hours of gameplay is a single update if it's mostly mindless monster mashing.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

As a SSLP reader, I've never really paid that much attention to the length of each update, it's always just felt like the updates should be cut where it makes sense in the narrative.

What is a lot more noticeable is the frequency - give each update a little time to breathe and have discussion, but don't have them so spaced out that the thread loses momentum.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, given a choice I'd rather read SSLPs with a weekly update schedule than 2-3 times a week, and I'm very likely to tune out of ones with daily update schedules.

I get the precise preferences will differ a lot from person to person, but for me that works out so I can enjoy an LP without it taking all of my free time away from other hobbies.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

IMO, most SSLP posts that go on too long don't have too much text or too many pages, they just pile one thing after another, rather than trying to keep to some sort of theme \ location.

We're going to explore the new island (cool) slay the dragon (cool) go back to the tutorial zone for some dialog we've missed (?) do some grinding in the item zone (??), advance the dialog tree for one of the party members just a bit, explore the new island some more...

Stick to something.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I tend to read SSLP update posts in bursts, because at some point I filter out the images as they usually end up feeling very samey and just focus on what's being said but it also ends up being a lot of scrolling.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

PurpleXVI posted:

I usually try to limit myself to a certain amount of gameplay, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on whether anything meaningful happens. Sometimes an hour of gameplay is an extra long update if it's full of plot or new enemies/mechanics, sometimes five hours of gameplay is a single update if it's mostly mindless monster mashing.

Pretty much this. I generally try to focus on a specific part of the game and have that be the focal point of the update. Super important bits tend to have the update all to themselves. Otherwise it's a buncha condensed stuff if a bunch of gameplay happened but nothing really meaningful did in those hours.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hey LP goons! I've been kicking around the idea of doing a Screenshot Let's Playing of Disgaea 4 and have put together a rough OP and part 1. I am hoping for some feedback. Like are the screenshots a good size? Too many? Too few? Is it a good length? Thank you.

OP+part 1: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=161614

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Hey LP goons! I've been kicking around the idea of doing a Screenshot Let's Playing of Disgaea 4 and have put together a rough OP and part 1. I am hoping for some feedback. Like are the screenshots a good size? Too many? Too few? Is it a good length? Thank you.

OP+part 1: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=161614

Images look fine to me but they're pretty heavy for jpgs that size, like i saw one that was 700+kb. Try compressing them a little more.

For the portraits, i think they'd look nicer if you made the background transparent, flipped them to face towards the text instead of away from it, and got rid of the colons after the portrait (you really only need them for text). You can also combine dialogue boxes when someone has multiple lines in a row, like this

quote:

: What an impressive ability to overwrite his memory of losing his power and being forced to take the least wanted job in the Netherworld.

: This is another one of his formidable powers. He can convert any suffering that he’s been through into something positive.

could easily be

quote:

What an impressive ability to overwrite his memory of losing his power and being forced to take the least wanted job in the Netherworld. This is another one of his formidable powers. He can convert any suffering that he’s been through into something positive.

Or, if you want to break up the paragraphs, you can use a clear image to indent them like this

quote:

What an impressive ability to overwrite his memory of losing his power and being forced to take the least wanted job in the Netherworld.
This is another one of his formidable powers. He can convert any suffering that he’s been through into something positive.

to avoid showing the same mugshot 43 times in a row.

Also, the main character's (?) portrait seems to be missing.

Finally you seem to be making italics only for the... game narration i guess? It's a little disorienting - usually people will use it for either the game content or the commentary. Might be better to give the narration its own "portrait" and keep all game content the same style.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Thank you so much for your post vilkacis!

vilkacis posted:

Images look fine to me but they're pretty heavy for jpgs that size, like i saw one that was 700+kb. Try compressing them a little more.

What would the appropriate size be? I compressed the images by about 50 to 70% and wrecked the image quality.

quote:

For the portraits, i think they'd look nicer if you made the background transparent, flipped them to face towards the text instead of away from it, and got rid of the colons after the portrait (you really only need them for text). You can also combine dialogue boxes when someone has multiple lines in a row, like this

could easily be

Or, if you want to break up the paragraphs, you can use a clear image to indent them like this

to avoid showing the same mugshot 43 times in a row.

Did all this and it does flow much better.

quote:

Also, the main character's (?) portrait seems to be missing.

I don't know what happened here. He showed up for me on the test page, but not when I looked at it on the forum's preview view. I must have deleted it as I tinkered with different sizes. Fixed now since I'm using a new portrait.

quote:

Finally you seem to be making italics only for the... game narration i guess? It's a little disorienting - usually people will use it for either the game content or the commentary. Might be better to give the narration its own "portrait" and keep all game content the same style.

I've replaced all that with screenshots of the narration. I was concerned that would make the post to screenshot heavy, but I broke things up with some commentary.

Here it is with the changes. Once I figure out the right level of compress I'll feel good to go. Thanks again!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Thank you so much for your post vilkacis!

:waycool:

quote:

What would the appropriate size be? I compressed the images by about 50 to 70% and wrecked the image quality.

So here's the thing, i'm a moron and they're pngs, not jpgs, which explains the size. Sorry about that! You can save them as jpg at 95 and they'll mostly be below 200, that's definitely enough. You can go a little lower if you want but i wouldn't go below 85.

(If you already have all your pngs made, you can batch convert them with irfanview. Hit B, select jpg as the output format and then options and you can set the quality there.)

Screenshots for the narration works better and the dialogue looks nicer now.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I would recommend converting your images to webp format, which is a lot smaller size-wise than PNG. A 5-600KB PNG for my LP turns into something less than 100KB when turned into a webp. vilkacis's suggestion is really good advice as well! Irfanview quality 90, in my experience, is almost indistinguishable in every way that matters from lossless.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping to do or at least announce an LP this week, and I want to do something multiplayer with goons from the associated thread.

I've narrowed my ideas down to a few things, with a leading contender, but I thought maybe I could get some ideas or feedback from some of LP regulars:

Shadow0 posted:

Factorio: Biters for Resources mod - I saw someone stream this for their subscribers, but unfortunately the ending wasn't streamed. I kind of wanted to try it myself with an army of goons.
CK3 or EU4 (or maybe even HoI4 if someone wants to carry me): I've played a bit of CK3 and EU4. I'm no expert though. Could be fun to play with goons. Maybe we can have posters in the thread vote on policies. As long as we all agree to make a country of nudists.
Stardew Valley? Not a lot of room here for like diversity of play, but it's chill*. Depending on your relationship with the in-game clock.
Among Us: It's fun. Could be fun to play with goons.
Bloons TD6, Armello, Quiplash - I'm not sure.

I have a capture card and a Switch so other options:
Super Mario Maker 2: Listen to me try to read all the titles in all the funny languages. It has a co-op and a competitive option.
Mario Party
Pokemon: Arceus - I'd have to buy it, but that's fine. I heard it's good. I do love the setting. Hopefully the Pokemon world equivalent of the Ainu get some recognition.

Edit: Or Hades. I do love Supergiant Games, and I have been meaning to play this. I don't think it's multiplayer though?

Factorio was my leading idea, but I'm open to suggestions.

Also, just to check: I can have a live stream and then upload it later to YouTube, right? Or is it strictly pre-recorded stuff here? I looked through some of the threads already and mostly saw prepared stuff (I think), but maybe it was also live? I wasn't sure.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Edit: Stupid reply.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 8, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shadow0 posted:

Super Mario Maker 2: Listen to me try to read all the titles in all the funny languages. It has a co-op and a competitive option.
Please do this, it is certain to elevate humor to depths hitherto unseen. Extra points if you can do funny accents, especially if they're racist.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Edit: Stupid reply.

lol, they aren't that person

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Shadow0 posted:

I'm hoping to do or at least announce an LP this week, and I want to do something multiplayer with goons from the associated thread.

I've narrowed my ideas down to a few things, with a leading contender, but I thought maybe I could get some ideas or feedback from some of LP regulars:

Factorio was my leading idea, but I'm open to suggestions.

Also, just to check: I can have a live stream and then upload it later to YouTube, right? Or is it strictly pre-recorded stuff here? I looked through some of the threads already and mostly saw prepared stuff (I think), but maybe it was also live? I wasn't sure.

If I was that GBS poster who wants to make a thread in every subforum with at least a page of posts I would definitely do all that. Despite what some people might make you believe we don't really have any standards here.

I also wouldn't have posted in PMF.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shadow0 posted:

There's been some LPs that have been "group of people record in a few sessions and gave live commentary" and then uploaded it later, plus some livestreams that were edited into regular LP episodes. If you do go the live stream route, make sure you do some editing as I doubt most people here will want to watch a dump of an unedited three-hour livestream or whatever.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

DoubleNegative posted:

I would recommend converting your images to webp format

Evil post imo.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Please do this, it is certain to elevate humor to depths hitherto unseen. Extra points if you can do funny accents, especially if they're racist.

Sorry I was caught between "People will be impressed at all the languages you speak! Make it a selling point!" and "Be humble" and ended up with a weird sentence. I would never do such a thing as make fun of someone's language or accent. Unless it was Dutch.

Mega64 posted:

There's been some LPs that have been "group of people record in a few sessions and gave live commentary" and then uploaded it later, plus some livestreams that were edited into regular LP episodes. If you do go the live stream route, make sure you do some editing as I doubt most people here will want to watch a dump of an unedited three-hour livestream or whatever.

Ah okay, yeah, I can at least edit out the dead air and stuff between happenings. I haven't done any real editing before, but I will give it a try! Gonna add a bunch of star swipes!

IGgy IGsen posted:

If I was that GBS poster who wants to make a thread in every subforum with at least a page of posts I would definitely do all that. Despite what some people might make you believe we don't really have any standards here.

I also wouldn't have posted in PMF.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean...

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean...
You need to realize that my post is 100% sincere. There's no sarcasm, no trap to be sprung. You literally can do no wrong. LP is the forum BYOB wishes it could be.

E: okay, actually, we had a guy last year that proved that wrong.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i'm gonna make IGgy post in PMF

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Sally posted:

i'm gonna make IGgy post in PMF

I'm gonna post in your thread.

Oh wait haha.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
LP idea sounds fine, OP. the big reason for a lot of the rules in LP are because for while there were a bunch of people who wanted to be YouTube superstars joining SALP to dump links to their 120hour Pokemon Snap Lets Pkays that sucked and were done four years ago. they just like.... posted a nearly empty thread with a link to the playlist commanding people to like and subscribe and discuss.

not a problem here, as you are making your thread for people in SALP to join in on... sounds great!

see the Tech Support Fort thread if you are having any technical issues getting this going. people in there are super helpful and rad

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

You need to realize that my post is 100% sincere. There's no sarcasm, no trap to be sprung. You literally can do no wrong. LP is the forum BYOB wishes it could be.

E: okay, actually, we had a guy last year that proved that wrong.

iggy come post in byob please, we are also sincere and chill :yayclod:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

biosterous posted:

iggy come post in byob please, we are also sincere and chill :yayclod:

I'll post in Shadow0's BYOB thread.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'll post in Shadow0's BYOB thread.

I'll be glad to have you! :sun:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hell yeah

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hi there, I noticed that a lot of LPs archived here use tindeck to link to soundtracks. e.g. https://lparchive.org/Mother-3-(by-Mega64)/Update%2001/.

I was wondering if any efforts were considered to update these links to point to archive.org? Or maybe to just scrape the archive and directly host the relevant files? I did try to look up some of the urls on the wayback machine and it failed with messages like "http 302 at crawl time". But I might have just messed it up.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Hello all. I've been thinking of trying to do an LP of Triangle Strategy.

I have an intro update ready, but would love a bit of feedback before I go any further.

I'm specifically wondering about the quality of the screenshots, but any other thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated as well.

OOrochi fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 22, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OOrochi posted:

Hello all. I've been thinking of trying to do an LP of Triangle Strategy.

I have an intro update ready, but would love a bit of feedback before I go any further.

I'm specifically wondering about the quality of the screenshots, but any other thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Yeah, the screenshot resolution and downscaling looks... very questionable. What was the source resolution and what percent are you scaling it down to because that looks kinda rough and jarring to look at for any length of time.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That looks like an unfiltered (or poorly filtered, I guess) downscale, which is never* a good idea. Make sure you're applying some kind of filter, bicubic or lanczos are generally the choices to go for.

(*There's one case where you might want to unfiltered downscale, which is when you're trying to regenerate an unscaled image from a upscaled one. But that's a very specific use case that's almost never relevant in practice.)

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Gracias. Glad I decided to check.

The original resolution was 1920 x 1080 and I was just using the resizing function on Rightload to bring them down to at most 900 wide, since that's what I remember being told was the max size for an image on the archives when I started a previous LP. I guess that for that previous one, since it wasn't pixelated, the jankiness wasn't quite as noticeable.

Apologies if this isn't the right spot for it, but any suggestions as to what to use/what resolutions to scale it down to to not look terrible?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OOrochi posted:

Gracias. Glad I decided to check.

The original resolution was 1920 x 1080 and I was just using the resizing function on Rightload to bring them down to at most 900 wide, since that's what I remember being told was the max size for an image on the archives when I started a previous LP. I guess that for that previous one, since it wasn't pixelated, the jankiness wasn't quite as noticeable.

Apologies if this isn't the right spot for it, but any suggestions as to what to use/what resolutions to scale it down to to not look terrible?

I'd scale them to 40% (768px) using an image editor like GIMP. Image editors have scaling algorithms that give a cleaner picture, and the round-number percentage makes it more likely you'll get a good result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The other thing you can do is crop instead of resizing, to provide focus on the thing you're trying to talk about. Obviously this is more work, but it also makes the LP easier to read.