Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

tater_salad posted:

Can you wait awhile. It's like a bad time to buy something still.

I know :( At this point it’s a pretty beat car.

I also don’t know if it will ever not be a bad time to buy. I’ve been waiting for it to be a good time to buy for like a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Car play, less than 80k miles, decent ground clearance, awd/4WD, good visibility from the driver seat… trying to pay $20k or less. So far that seems unlikely.

Any recommendations?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I recommend watching a local used car market like a hawk and jumping on a good deal.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Not sure where you are but there's plenty of options if you look. Although I'd strongly suggest you get a 3rd party inspection or at least Carfax first.

Also, if you're in the south east now is when the flooded cars hit the market so stay far far away

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Car play, less than 80k miles, decent ground clearance, awd/4WD, good visibility from the driver seat… trying to pay $20k or less. So far that seems unlikely.

Any recommendations?

My 2015 Lexus was ~25k right before the market heated up and it doesn’t have CarPlay or awd :mad:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel like I should start going around sitting in cars now. I have a kid in a carseat, would like another one (kid) soon, just commuting 10 miles to work and occasional short road trip. Probably don't want to spend more than $50k. Looking at Quattroportes and Rapides around here and the QP has really dropped off a cliff in value, I think they look pretty cool, surely they can't be that bad?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I feel like I should start going around sitting in cars now. I have a kid in a carseat, would like another one (kid) soon, just commuting 10 miles to work and occasional short road trip. Probably don't want to spend more than $50k. Looking at Quattroportes and Rapides around here and the QP has really dropped off a cliff in value, I think they look pretty cool, surely they can't be that bad?

I wouldn't go anywhere near a $50k Aston or Maserati and I'm saying that as an Aston owner. Using one as a commuter car is insane.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Maserati = more money than sense.

You want a kid in a car seat and all the mess that implies in your luxobarge?

I guess get a used Stinger or 7 series BMW?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

You want a kid in a car seat and all the mess that implies in your luxobarge?

i ralphed it in a porsche because it made me carsick when i was like 8. i hated riding in the back of that thing

speaking of which if you're getting a maserati instead of a porsche buy a honda civic and keep saving

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I appreciate the advice, friends :)

What’s the goon consensus wisdom on how many miles should be on the car? Is it dumb to get a used car with over 100k miles?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Rapide isn't built in a shed in Britain, maybe that should help the quality a little. Besides, an NA V12 has got to be worth something as time passes right?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of luxobarges, why do I keep seeing Bentleys, Lambos and Maseratis in really out of place settings in ATL?

Like my Apt community is not what you’d consider high income and there’s someone here that parks their Bentley in the outdoor parking every day (and you can see it’s scratched up and dirty like any other normal-rear end car)?

Saw a booted Maserati parked on the street for over a week the other day.

A banged up Lambo SUV keeps popping up at a friends’s guest parking.

Just people buying up salvages and treating them like poo poo?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bingo.

Or possibly auction/siezed vehicles.

What’s the goon consensus wisdom on how many miles should be on the car? Is it dumb to get a used car with over 100k miles?

Modern cars are more hardy and the 100k milestone is more like a 40k of yore.
Though, a lot of the fun service starts around that mark so you have to be ok with doing the whole preventative maintenance dance and replacing like the timing belt/hybrid belt, etc

If you're lucky enough to take a look at the service records you can usually figure out if the owner drove it to poo poo as an Uber or was like living in LA and driving all around SoCal for work/commuted 90miles to and from work.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Panameras are uncool but I'd take one in a heartbeat instead of a Quattroporte. They depreciate rapidly too so not expensive second hand.

If the kids are small enough you can get them in the back of the 911 you actually want.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't feel like Panameras have depreciated at the same rate, and hooh boy have you ever seen one from the outside

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe having owned Chrysler or Chrysler-affiliated products my entire life I just have a soft spot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

dpkg chopra posted:

Speaking of luxobarges, why do I keep seeing Bentleys, Lambos and Maseratis in really out of place settings in ATL?

Would not surprise me if there's a guy leasing used lambos for $1500 $2000 a month and fully insured

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't feel like Panameras have depreciated at the same rate, and hooh boy have you ever seen one from the outside

That's the best thing about driving one - it's one less you might have to look at from the outside.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
A guy in my neighborhood dailies and street parks a quattroporte in Boston but I could say the same about a 1990 Miata Special Edition, a 944 vert.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We street park our luxobarge because that's how our neighborhood rolls, almost nobody has a garage

Homeownership is unattainable now for the vast majority of the population, life is short, street park the Lambo in the apartment complex :shrug:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Get a Jagon.

What? Im not just saying that because I have one. I swear.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I appreciate the advice, friends :)

Depends on the car in particular but in general, not at all. Most cars will need some form of major service at/around 100k and you'll expect to do more longer-term wear items, like a brake fluid flush, coolant change, a timing belt if it has one, maybe a valve adjustment if it's a Honda. Maybe some suspension bushings and shocks/struts.

In the category of "typical cars from mainstream manufacturers", nearly everything on offer is the kind of thing you could expect to buy at 100k and drive to 200k without any too-massive repair bills. 200-250k is where some cars start dropping and at that point it's more to do with how well it's been maintained in that time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Until recently I don't think I ever owned a car with less than 100k on the clock. I would put oil and coolant in it and maybe replace the tires when it failed inspection and I'd trash it when something expensive and important finally broke or it became unsafe to drive. My general rule of thumb is if you don't have kids anything under 150k is fine. Once you have kids if you can afford it that extra peace of mind of buying a car at the 100-120k price point.

Depends on the brand and the general condition of the car. For every granny-drove Honda Civic with 149k on the clock, there's an equal number of 19 year old kids selling a clapped out Subaru Impreza with a tampered-with waste gate, bent suspension and only 79k miles that's 35k miles overdue for an oil change

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Also, be careful with Hyundai's. The Theta engine *will* gently caress itself in time. It's covered by Hyundai (as long as maintenance has been semi-regulat) but a month without a car while they get you a new engine is not fun.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I need to start test driving cars so I know what works for me and what doesn’t when I’m perusing the listings.

This seems like it’s gonna suck :mad:

Mustache Ride posted:

Not sure where you are but there's plenty of options if you look. Although I'd strongly suggest you get a 3rd party inspection or at least Carfax first.

Also, if you're in the south east now is when the flooded cars hit the market so stay far far away

this is a neat resource, thank you

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 26, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My current car is has a title of “totaled” or whatever but it still runs. The aesthetics are beat to poo poo because I got hit and the insurance would pay to repair it because the repairs are more than the worth of the car.

What’s the best way to get the most value when I sell it? Junkyard? A dealership and see what they give? Craigslist for parts?

It’ll drive you from point a to point b so I figure that’s got to be worth at least a couple hundred bucks.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Do not take a totaled car to a dealer. If insurance totaled it out why didn't they keep it?

Best bet is either Facebook or a scrap yard.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This is for you

https://learnmore.24hoursoflemons.com/

You can get a roll cage kit for like $1600 and a harbor freight flux core welder is like $175 and then you'll probably need 6-8 rolls of flux core at $20 each

Learn to weld doing the diagonal braces first as they're less critical in a roll over event

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hi all, looking for some recommendations/guidance.

I am potentially looking to pick up a used car, budget is $15,000 - $17,000. I'd like a midsized to full size car, I'm fine with a hatchback, small SUV, or sedan. Nothing super large though because I street park. I drive 100/miles a month, care very little about brands, but would like something reliable (perhaps my most important criteria) and safe (side curtain airbags). Must have a backup cam and Apple CarPlay would be a plus, although I'm ok having an aftermarket head unit installed to get that.

I can also wait 4-6 mos. if the used market will substantially improve between now and then.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1. read/follow the OP
2. Prius

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Proposed Budget: $15,000 - $18,000
New or Used: Don't care, but probably used
Body Style: 4 door mid size to full size sedan, small SUV, or hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Commuting 3 miles round trip, occasional errands within a 5-10 mile radius
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, safety, backup cam is essential, would like Apple CarPlay

I can also wait 4-6 months to buy a car if people think that will make a substantial difference to the market

IOwnCalculus posted:

1. read/follow the OP
2. Prius

Our second car is actually a 2006 Prius which is great. I'd love another Prius but really hard to find a decent one under $20k here. The "waiting 6 months" is using my wife's car (she works from home) and taking Ubers when she needs the car. I actually texted the local Toyota dealer to see what's going on with a new Prius, and was told they no longer take reservations or give time estimates, and instead its first come, first served, based on what you're willing to pay.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Proposed Budget: $15,000 - $18,000
New or Used: Don't care, but probably used
Body Style: 4 door mid size to full size sedan, small SUV, or hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Commuting 3 miles round trip, occasional errands within a 5-10 mile radius
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, safety, backup cam is essential, would like Apple CarPlay

I can also wait 4-6 months to buy a car if people think that will make a substantial difference to the market

Our second car is actually a 2006 Prius which is great. I'd love another Prius but really hard to find a decent one under $20k here. The "waiting 6 months" is using my wife's car (she works from home) and taking Ubers when she needs the car. I actually texted the local Toyota dealer to see what's going on with a new Prius, and was told they no longer take reservations or give time estimates, and instead its first come, first served, based on what you're willing to pay.

3 mile round trip? Surly Skid Loader

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Upgrade posted:

I actually texted the local Toyota dealer to see what's going on with a new Prius, and was told they no longer take reservations or give time estimates, and instead its first come, first served, based on what you're willing to pay.

Don't be afraid to cast a wider net than just the closest dealer. Much wider--even out of state, if you're able to swing it. Dealers vary wildly in responsiveness and quality, and it can't hurt to try.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And if that doesn't work your requirements aren't reasonable for your budget in this completely screwed up market.

I'd really hate to be car shopping right now.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

incogneato posted:

Don't be afraid to cast a wider net than just the closest dealer. Much wider--even out of state, if you're able to swing it. Dealers vary wildly in responsiveness and quality, and it can't hurt to try.

Just as a data point. In order to get my Toyota Sienna without a dealer markup. I had to work with a dealer in VT and still wait 10+ months. I'm in NJ and took Amtrak up to pick it up recently. Honestly, other than the wait which they had no control over. The dealer was pretty easy to work with. Did the whole deal over email, showed up with a check, and went home with the keys.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Motronic posted:

And if that doesn't work your requirements aren't reasonable for your budget in this completely screwed up market.

I'd really hate to be car shopping right now.

Do you think things will be different in six months? I’m fortunate in that we have a second car which is unused most of the time so being a one household car isn’t that big of a deal

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Upgrade posted:

Do you think things will be different in six months? I’m fortunate in that we have a second car which is unused most of the time so being a one household car isn’t that big of a deal

I don't have a crystal ball, but if you think the reason used cars are so expensive is supply constraints of new cars and those constraints are due to lack of electronic parts of various types and supply chain issues in general then no......I do not think this will be resolved in 6 months.

I just ordered a bunch of Toyota repair parts from Dubai because I couldn't get them here on the east coast of the US. Take from that what you will.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Upgrade posted:

What I have heard is that domestic manufacturers have mostly resolved supply constraints but Asian manufacturers have not. Will probably see that influence the used market to a degree.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

Upgrade posted:

The Fed just issued another rate hike. That's going to hurt some folks. They are talking about another one in December. If they do it, you will start to see fire sales everywhere in another six months or so. People will be selling off cars they cannot afford, to keep their mortgage loan payments current. Banks are already repossessing autos at a rate close to what was going on around 2008. Banks have had plenty of time to prepare for this and they have private laydown yards, just waiting to fill them up with repos when the market crashes. With large laydown yards, they can slowly take their repos to auction when the market starts to bounce back. There's still going to be a lot of deals out there for folks that have saved up for it.

Right now, some auto dealers are under water on their used inventory. Some have seen this coming and are selling off what they have and going on a vacation for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I feel like there will definitely be a subprime auto loan crisis if the course we're on continues, which it looks like it will.

The average new car transaction price the past few years has gone bananas and it's so easy to spend 50-70k on a "normal" truck or SUV. And auto lending didn't tighten up like mortgages post-2008. Whole lot of people living way way beyond their means on (bad) credit.