Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I got an electrician to deal with a little cat6 of mine, thinking they would at least do a pro job. Reader, they did not. I could get data over it, but at an abysmal rate. I had to pull open the wall plate, cut the cable and punch it down again because half the pairs weren't connected properly. Thankfully they only hosed it up at an end and there wasn't a cut halfway down the cable or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Low voltage installers was a pretty big industry locally like 10-15 years ago but it was all old men and these businesses are gone now in 2022 for some weird reason and it’s hard to get a business serviced much less your home.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
U.S. nationwide shortage of electricians doesn't help. Even just a 06 low... that's hard to come by, too.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I'm guessing this is the thread for asking HomeKit questions. I've been using it for a few years now and it's been going well with several time & location based automations with no problem whatsoever. About two days ago though it seems like it's randomly deciding that I'm leaving home while I'm sitting in my office then a minute later it will trigger the return home automation. At first I brushed it off as a fluke but it's happened several times now so something is up. I've tried resetting my privacy / location settings on my phone and apple tv as well as deleting all of my automations and setting them up again but it just now triggered the leave home automation as I was sitting in my office.

Has anyone run into this before and know how to fix it?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Dumb question, but have you tried unplugging your Apple TV and plugging it back in again? All of my automations stopped working a couple weeks back and the only thing that fixed it was completely powering off all of my HomeKit hub devices.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I'm guessing this is the thread for asking HomeKit questions. I've been using it for a few years now and it's been going well with several time & location based automations with no problem whatsoever. About two days ago though it seems like it's randomly deciding that I'm leaving home while I'm sitting in my office then a minute later it will trigger the return home automation. At first I brushed it off as a fluke but it's happened several times now so something is up. I've tried resetting my privacy / location settings on my phone and apple tv as well as deleting all of my automations and setting them up again but it just now triggered the leave home automation as I was sitting in my office.

Has anyone run into this before and know how to fix it?

I've been having this problem too.

The latest beta seems to have mostly resolved it, but I did have one instance yesterday of my lights turning off even though I was home. But nothing like it was a couple weeks ago where might lights were just cycling on and off all day.

I did end up having to delete all location based automations and re-add them though. I had codified most of them in scenes already so this this wasn't a big deal but if this would have happened before I did that it would have been a huge pain in the rear end.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Finally going all in on HomeKit. Turning an old iPad mini 4 into a wall home hub, just set up the circle view doorbell which already seems much more reliable notification wise than my Nest doorbell cam was.

Have some Eve stuff coming too, set up two of their door sensors and I’m going to have the floodlight cam installed too, and then rounding out my collection with an indoor and outdoor weather/temp sensor because why not.

Anyway HomeKit seems like a great cloud based option if you don’t want to go all in on a NVR system so far. I wish it had 24/7 but it hardly worked in Nest even with the Aware subscription. Which renews tomorrow so drat good timing on my part.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 15, 2022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Macichne Leainig posted:

Finally going all in on HomeKit. Turning an old iPad mini 4 into a wall home hub, just set up the circle view doorbell which already seems much more reliable notification wise than my Nest doorbell cam was.

Have some Eve stuff coming too, set up two of their door sensors and I’m going to have the floodlight cam installed too, and then rounding out my collection with an indoor and outdoor weather/temp sensor because why not.

Anyway HomeKit seems like a great butt based option if you don’t want to go all in on a NVR system so far. I wish it had 24/7 but it hardly worked in Nest even with the Aware subscription. Which renews tomorrow so drat good timing on my part.

I use my ATV as a Home Hub but didn't they / are they not about to remove support for using the iPad as a Hub?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

movax posted:

I use my ATV as a Home Hub but didn't they / are they not about to remove support for using the iPad as a Hub?

iOS 16 does remove support for using an iPad as a HomeKit hub, but it also removes support for the iPad Mini 4, so accidental updates are not a risk and they should be fine as long as the device lasts

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 16, 2022

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Also, not to double-post, but I had heat pumps installed in Feb, and was only able to source one of the OEM Kumo cloud adapters and it's pretty lovely. I have the Home Assistant + HomeBridge plugin, but I still find myself using the remote far far more than I do the Kumo interface. I was hoping to use HA or HB as a remote temperature sense for some of the units, but the Kumo's don't even expose the "Sleep" mode interface, which dims the LED and allows you to quickly go to a 2nd preset.

Any thoughts on the Sensibo or other such devices? The IR remote seems to expose all functionality, and as far as I can tell, transmits a full state vector on each button push (i.e., if you push temperature up, it also transmits the current vane settings + other information the remote is currently displaying). It seems like this would be the way for me to get the maximum amount of flexibility + control for my units without paying $$$ for the Kumo adapter.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have an Apple TV too, I didn’t mean an actual “home hub,” sorry haha. I meant more just like a central location for my Home stuff :)

Might pick up a HomePod mini just to have Siri somewhere else in the house too. I mean I have my watch on at all times, but still, if they ever go on sale or anything.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'm moving into a new home in a few weeks that's fully wired with ethernet in all rooms, structured wiring, POE security cameras (7) and a doorbell. I was originally planning on building a reolink system with an NVR but now I'm feeling less like I want to deal with all of that, so I'm considering nest cameras because I like their ecosystem.

I don't see that Nest has a wired outdoor cameras, but apparently there is an adapter to at least get POE (power only) but still relying on wifi.

Anyone have experience with using nest cameras POE?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

I'm moving into a new home in a few weeks that's fully wired with ethernet in all rooms, structured wiring, POE security cameras (7) and a doorbell. I was originally planning on building a reolink system with an NVR but now I'm feeling less like I want to deal with all of that, so I'm considering nest cameras because I like their ecosystem.

I don't see that Nest has a wired outdoor cameras, but apparently there is an adapter to at least get POE (power only) but still relying on wifi.

7 wifi security cameras of any decent resolution and framerate are going to absolutely devastate all of your wifi bandwidth and spectrum.

You have ethernet run. Choose something that can use it.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Motronic posted:

7 wifi security cameras of any decent resolution and framerate are going to absolutely devastate all of your wifi bandwidth and spectrum.

You have ethernet run. Choose something that can use it.

Any good suggestions for POE cameras that have a quality ecosystem (remote access outside local network, history, integration with a visual "hub" of some sort, etc)

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 20, 2022

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
My take would be buy the cameras and pick up the remote access feature from the NVR. It's a lot less expensive as the system gets bigger.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

KS posted:

My take would be buy the cameras and pick up the remote access feature from the NVR. It's a lot less expensive as the system gets bigger.

Good call. I was also just reading that Synology sells a solution, and I already have a sinology NAS. Will research this a bit more.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rick posted:

Low voltage installers was a pretty big industry locally like 10-15 years ago but it was all old men and these businesses are gone now in 2022 for some weird reason and it’s hard to get a business serviced much less your home.

This makes so much sense. I'm trying to get some cat 6 run in our office (like... Actual business not home office) and Christ I can't find anyone. They either don't return my calls or eventually just flake out.

This is in the Raleigh Durham area of NC. I figured structured cabling would be an easy find.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I had luck finding cat runners when I started looking for home audio companies and not anything to do with networking.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

arbybaconator posted:

As motronic said, this is a bag idea. Get an NVR and VPN tunnel to access it. Poe is the best way to do this, WiFi is a hack that works if you can't run cables.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Infinotize posted:

I had luck finding cat runners when I started looking for home audio companies and not anything to do with networking.

+1 on this suggestion. Try home audio/home automation companies or home security companies (the local ones not the national brands). The guys installing camera systems run Cat cable all day. Also try local social media sites. I despise them, but local FB groups or even NextDoor can be a good resource for local trades that don't really even advertise.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

sharkytm posted:

As motronic said, this is a bag idea. Get an NVR and VPN tunnel to access it. Poe is the best way to do this, WiFi is a hack that works if you can't run cables.

And the vpn tunnel is as easy as “install Tailscale, enable for all IP egress on your internal endpoint, have a nice day” if you aren’t inclined to gently caress with dns, IPsec tunnels, etc etc.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

Any good suggestions for POE cameras that have a quality ecosystem (remote access outside local network, history, integration with a visual "hub" of some sort, etc)

I use a Reolink system with NVR. The remote access can be turned on/off as you desire and doesn't need any subscription or opening any hole in your firewall. If remote access is enabled then the NVR will connect to a cloud server which acts as the man in the middle for your phone client to connect to.

This isn't some random box in China - for me in the UK its a Microsoft Azure cloud server in Ireland, and I believe other locations also have a similar regional servers.

Previously I was using Blue-iris on a Pc with a mix of Hik & Dahua cameras but this was showing its age and eating electricity. The NVR with 4 cameras barely pulls 30W for me.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Baconroll posted:

I use a Reolink system with NVR. The remote access can be turned on/off as you desire and doesn't need any subscription or opening any hole in your firewall. If remote access is enabled then the NVR will connect to a cloud server which acts as the man in the middle for your phone client to connect to.

This isn't some random box in China - for me in the UK its a Microsoft Azure cloud server in Ireland, and I believe other locations also have a similar regional servers.

Previously I was using Blue-iris on a Pc with a mix of Hik & Dahua cameras but this was showing its age and eating electricity. The NVR with 4 cameras barely pulls 30W for me.

Thank you!! This is helpful.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I picked up a Nest Hello because I have a bunch of Nest Hubs/Nest Audios about my house. The camera works fine, but when you push the button it rings all the Nest devices and it because a massive noise. I can't figure out how to make it ring specific devices. Is that possible?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The best I can find is that you can set Do Not Disturb for a specific device, but that turns off all alerts, not just a specifically the doorbell ringing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l48158xP6y8&t=11s
It's not stupid, it's advanced!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
PSA iPadOS/iOS 16 will still work with an iPad as HomeKit bridge as long as the iPad is running iOS 15 or older and the registration is not done on the current os devices

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I guess I maybe have been overthinking what I should do for a small camera setup. After reading a few of the above posts, I'm thinking maybe just get a Reolink 8 channel NVR and keep it offline? Originally, I was going to repurpose an old PC and go zoneminder/blue iris. Zoneminder is way over my head, and even going Blue Iris the PC might be a power hog while probably not being powerful enough.

I planned on just running two Reolink cameras through a POE switch and then into a powerline so I didn't need to run all that cable. But I guess my only concern is for keeping the setup offline, and whether I maybe need to get the 36 channel model so I can just powerline directly into one of the ports versus running the two cameras into the lan port of the 8 channel model after having them go through a router. Or can I have a cheap switch on the other end of the powerline to split it into two of the POE ports on the NVR. Again, I'm starting to overthink this.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

What hub should I get? Seems like people suggest either a RPi with the appropriate zwave/zigbee stick or something like Hubitat. I have a NAS that I could install HA and a USB stick on but it isn't really centrally located. I can get away with one wifi AP in the same vicinity so maybe I'm overthinking the location.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a NAS with USB hub and HA installed in a VM, I pass the usb device in and everything works.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

BonoMan posted:

This makes so much sense. I'm trying to get some cat 6 run in our office (like... Actual business not home office) and Christ I can't find anyone. They either don't return my calls or eventually just flake out.

This is in the Raleigh Durham area of NC. I figured structured cabling would be an easy find.

Yeah these dudes flake so often.

Like honestly if I was in better health and had hands steady enough to crimp good cables more than 25% of the time, I'd probably be starting something like this up. Seems like it can only grow.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rick posted:

Yeah these dudes flake so often.

Like honestly if I was in better health and had hands steady enough to crimp good cables more than 25% of the time, I'd probably be starting something like this up. Seems like it can only grow.

It's a race to the bottom. It's not a licensed profession, so there's no permits or inspections and electricians can have a lackey do it and charge top dollar to builders. There's a reason there aren't a lot of good companies specializing in it on the residential side other than the high end AV companies.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I got a new house recently and am thinking about some things I might like automating but I'm also planning on replacing all of the switches and outlets with new ones. What prompted the automation stuff was tinkering with the front door exterior light that runs on a switch but I only want on during the night. Its not in a place where a dusk to dawn light bulb would work but I'm guessing a dusk to dawn scene should be easy. Somehow someone else got suggested a smart relay, which I'd never heard of, instead of a smart switch. I'm currently reading smart switch vs smart relay conversions but I'm still not totally clear on what the advantage of a smart switch is over a smart relay other than space in the box. wifi vs zwave/zigbee? I'm more than likely going to be going with HA to keep everything local.

What caught my eye about the smart relay suggestion was that they described how it can act like a switch based on the state of the scene instead of the switch position but I feel like a smart switch could do this anyway if you programmed it that way? The only other thing I'm thinking about are these two lights in our entry way that work on their own separate switches that I'd like linked up and then have their switches work together like three way switches would. It also seems a little cheaper to use relays and dumb switches.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

sharkytm posted:

It's a race to the bottom. It's not a licensed profession, so there's no permits or inspections and electricians can have a lackey do it and charge top dollar to builders. There's a reason there aren't a lot of good companies specializing in it on the residential side other than the high end AV companies.

That does make sense. I guess since I live somewhere that hiring even a bad electrician has a month and a half wait I liked having people who you could call on Monday and they would do the job before Thursday and there is a need for that business. But if everyone is just having electricians do it every else it makes sense it being a dead profession.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I purchased some Reolink cameras to install on my new home. I have POE running in a few spots around the outside of the house, which are inside these blue electrical boxes.

What’s the best way to mount these cameras given that I have these boxes? Do I mount them to the side somewhere, or is there some kind of mount I can use to mount the camera over the box?

https://imgur.com/a/TCTSofv

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't know if this is the right thread, and if it's not if someone could point me the right direct. I would be interested in getting a robot vacuum of some kind. My house has a few Google nest and that is very much the infrastructure we are in so having it compatible is a ++. Our house is 895 square feet, it's hardwood (one room has carpet) and we have 2 cats and a 3 year old. One of the ones that can mop and vacuum would be awesome. I work from home so low noise would be great! I would be looking to spend under $200 so I'm sure not everything I want can come in one package, but I have no idea where to even start looking :(

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

arbybaconator posted:

I purchased some Reolink cameras to install on my new home. I have POE running in a few spots around the outside of the house, which are inside these blue electrical boxes.

What’s the best way to mount these cameras given that I have these boxes? Do I mount them to the side somewhere, or is there some kind of mount I can use to mount the camera over the box?

https://imgur.com/a/TCTSofv

It's kind of up to you how you'd like to mount them on the box. The Reolinks I got in 2016 had a round base with three screw holes to mount them, and a pigtail for the ethernet jack and other optional jacks that required about a 1/2" hole in the middle. I'd consider getting a metal face plate and drilling holes into it to fit the reolink mount on it, myself. It's kind of what I did but I had a different situation installing on a flat exterior wall and got some round aluminum boxes to put on the outside of the house.

Something like these would be fine if they fit. A step drill bit makes it easier to drill into sheet metal, too. The first link is an aluminum one and it kind of looks like there's a gasket that comes with it so I'd probably get that.
https://smile.amazon.com/Leviton-WM1B-GY-Weatherproof-Blank-1-Gang/dp/B01N5O56LG/
https://smile.amazon.com/Leviton-84014-003-000-Standard-Stainless/dp/B000U3E0AS/

It might only be possible to get two screws into a rectangular plate like that, too. One option would be just to put in two top ones and leave one loose on the bottom. Another option would be to get a larger piece of aluminum or stainless and kind of make your own plate that has holes for the camera mount but also holes to fit over your box, if you wanted to. It's more of a project that way, though. I'm sure you can measure the holes before you order anything and figure out if you'll be in that situation.

Lastly you might want some stainless nuts and bolts to put the camera on the plate since the plate itself won't have threaded holes since it's thin.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

SalTheBard posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread, and if it's not if someone could point me the right direct. I would be interested in getting a robot vacuum of some kind. My house has a few Google nest and that is very much the infrastructure we are in so having it compatible is a ++. Our house is 895 square feet, it's hardwood (one room has carpet) and we have 2 cats and a 3 year old. One of the ones that can mop and vacuum would be awesome. I work from home so low noise would be great! I would be looking to spend under $200 so I'm sure not everything I want can come in one package, but I have no idea where to even start looking :(

Both mop and vacuum limits your choices to very few options. I know Roomba has a model but it's pretty expensive (about a grand).

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Ok. I'm fine with vacuum only. I was looking online a bit after my post and yeah the mint drastically ups the price. There are just so many out there and if I'm going to spend $200 I don't want it to be poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

Ok. I'm fine with vacuum only. I was looking online a bit after my post and yeah the mint drastically ups the price. There are just so many out there and if I'm going to spend $200 I don't want it to be poo poo

I’ve had a bunch of robot vacuums and the only one I had that I actually liked was the first generation neato. The machine was pretty solid and customer service was outstanding. But I think they’re all very expensive and they die quickly. I use a broom.