Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's a moment in Heavensward where a moogle asks if you remember them. This moogle has no defining features whatsoever. Fortunately the other names you're given as options are all moogles that do have defining features, so it's a process of elimination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
ARR relic, just generating lights. 40 something runs of aurum vale, huh. What a beating

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dareon posted:

There's a moment in Heavensward where a moogle asks if you remember them. This moogle has no defining features whatsoever. Fortunately the other names you're given as options are all moogles that do have defining features, so it's a process of elimination.

I guessed wrong, and the moogle was sad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FuturePastNow posted:

I guessed wrong, and the moogle was sad.

Same, lol. I felt real stupid because I picked the name of the moogle chieftan, who is the size of a large automobile

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

ARR relic, just generating lights. 40 something runs of aurum vale, huh. What a beating

more like aurum fail

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aurum Vale at least goes pretty quick these days. It used to be way worse even if the first room is still annoying.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Shinjobi posted:

It's probably faster to do new totorak, I think the light per dungeon is the same?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Heran Bago posted:

I wish that every time an NPC was like, "remember me? You brought me a beer two expansions ago" our character would wince and we'd get a single-screenshot flashback.
I would also like this to happen in real life.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Arist posted:

Aurum Vale at least goes pretty quick these days. It used to be way worse even if the first room is still annoying.

Probably worth doing a run each of Sastasha, tot-rak, and AV to see if any of them is in a "bonus period". It can cut your grind time in half.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Be me and avoid the MSQ until you've leveled every job/class to 30.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Be me and avoid the MSQ until you've leveled every job/class to 30.

You can't unlock some jobs unless you reach HW.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Probably worth doing a run each of Sastasha, tot-rak, and AV to see if any of them is in a "bonus period". It can cut your grind time in half.

Stone Vigil is also very fast.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

OddObserver posted:

You can't unlock some jobs unless you reach HW.

But once you do you can go back to level'ing up your jobs :getin:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

How long do bonus periods for light tend to last?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

S.J. posted:

How long do bonus periods for light tend to last?

2 hours, is what I've read.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes ARR relic light rotates every two hours.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Heran Bago posted:

My power fantasy is being able to remember names and faces of people I work with.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dareon posted:

I literally just guessed. I like to think my dumbass catgirl was just, "Uhh... Moggie?" And the moogle was somehow too polite to notice that I was obviously stabbing in the dark.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Random NPCs showing up in other quests and actually acknowledging they know you is one of my favorite parts of the game. Some crafting guild leader showed up in a MSQ scene for their expertise and were like, "why didn't you just ask Fuzz there, he's already learned everything I know," and the MSQ NPCs were like, "drat you really get around huh?" It's always such a fun detail.

That was the only thing that made the ARM 50-60 quests bearable--going around to all the guildmasters and all of them either acknowledging that you know what you're doing or being cheekily jealous that you're craft-cheating on them with H'naanza.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Every time the Bronze Bull shows up, he recognizes me as the person who made his cool sword, and I appreciate it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Every time someone says "Wow, it's the Azure Dragoon!" and he replies along the lines of "another one, anyway" makes doing the job quests worth it.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’ve heard the paladin story is pretty bad (the worst?) is it bad-bad; or just bad in comparison to the preceding gladiator story, ‘cause i played that today and the characters were pretty good!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
ARR paladin is just boring bad, while HW paladin is bad bad. Gladiator is significantly better than both, and so is the SB paladin story (because it's the gladiator story).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Roach Warehouse posted:

I’ve heard the paladin story is pretty bad (the worst?) is it bad-bad; or just bad in comparison to the preceding gladiator story, ‘cause i played that today and the characters were pretty good!

it's bad-bad

they actually make fun of it in the good tank's quests

and also completely abandon it for more gladiator stuff

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The good(?) news it's probably only offensively bad if you're offended by utterly incoherent writing.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i think when people usually talk about "bad" job quests it's things like the early archer stuff or cleansing the taint or parts of samurai's story which really just boil down to rubbing some people the wrong way with how they're presented or how the issues shown are (not) resolved

i have never seen anyone defend the pld quests. they're bad.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
It's so bad the localizers put in lines pointing out how dumb it is, and that lampshade hanging is the one bright spot of the whole 50-60 questline.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
For what it's worth it is specifically the 50-60 HW PLD questline that is terrible. The 30-50 is middle of the road.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Out of curiosity, what makes it so bad? I wasn't a big fan of the HW WHM plotline but I definitely wouldn't dunk on it as hard as y'all do the PLD one.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It’s mainly just boring and not terribly interesting

e: someone should count up how many times people have posted “and the translators even make fun of the PLD quests in the text” in this thread

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 22, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

quiggy posted:

Out of curiosity, what makes it so bad? I wasn't a big fan of the HW WHM plotline but I definitely wouldn't dunk on it as hard as y'all do the PLD one.

the whm quests were kinda repetitive but at least had a plot and characters doing things for understandable reasons

the pld quests are you running around on a wild goose chase and then charging up the jo crystal because???

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

quiggy posted:

The villain is an idiot who wants something dumb and then it just ends

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

And the way they go about doing the dumb thing doesn't even make sense. It's just a mess

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

quiggy posted:

The PLD 50-60 quests are basically one big shaggy dog story. It actually has a pretty good hook at the start, but it not only does nothing with it, it actively fumbles it and makes the whole thing feel incredibly pointless. And not in an annoying "hey this is a game and we're making you do chores" kind of way, but a more natural way where you're just like "this is so stupid".

If you want to know what actually happens, you mentor a kid (read: fight enemies while he watches) after his master (your former mentor in paladin-ing) is killed, mysteriously. You keep finding pieces of the special paladin gear in convenient places. It turns out the mentor is alive the whole time, and his plan was to train up the kid to beat you to get this special paladin sword to glow again. You beat the kid, and him, and then the sword glows, and he's satisfied. The end.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
PLD 50-60 Spoilers: It starts off as a pretty routine "here's the new generation of hero/paladins" with the Elezen guy you help train, then you suspect the old Roe dude from the 50 questline is staging things to help train the guy up better, THEN the Roe dude reveals that he's batshit insane AND the very important assassins from PLD 50 were killed to a man off screen forget them, and there's a very vague and pointless and kind of lore goofy(no other soul crystal/job line does it as far as I can tell) resolution where 3 paladins charge their JO Crystals to make your PLD Crystal and/or a sword strong again, I think the artifact blade lost in 50 but nobody cares and did I mention the Roe guy has become a moron?

It's all so incredibly stupid the Elezen guy swears to forget it happened and go quest normally as his plot resolution, the 60-70 questline hard reverses course back to an arena story and the actual PLD characters are mocking it in dialogue during the questline. It's utterly baffling to experience and a far mark below the stories that are just boring "doing my job chores" stuff like WHM.

At least HW WHM had an average+ finale!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HW PLD feels like the person who was given the opportunity to write the quest had like three different ideas for a side quest storyline, couldn't decide between them, and then decided that if this was their one shot at writing a questline they were going to shove them all together and make it work somehow.

Unfortunately they were not nearly skilled enough to make it work as the story was thematically inconsistent with the Paladin/Knight class fantasy or prior questlines, the plot was victim to a bad case of telling you interesting stuff happened off screen rather than letting you actually experiencing it, and the finale tying everything together was so convoluted and nonsensical that the translators expressed their own disbelief at it through the dialogue from one of the new NPCs saddled with having to be included in the whole affair.

To top it all off the whole mystery is revealed to be about some bullshit nobody cared about, which the writing certainly didn't do any work prior to that point to establish why you should care about it, and some convoluted competition mechanics get written into the Job Stone of all things in a way that was never seen before and never seen since. One would might suspect the PLD quests must've poisoned the well for examining the mechanics of how job stones work too carefully, lest a hopeful new writer gently caress up as badly as the 50-60 PLD quest writer did.

When asked about the universally negative fan response to the questline, and specifically if there were a particular writer to blame, the devs replied that they couldn't remember who worked on what particular questline except for a few standouts and there was a real chance the writer had moved on to a different team at SE altogether.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i can't imagine them actually throwing the writer under the bus but i'd be incredibly curious as to what else they worked on because i don't think anything else in the game can be considered as to have bombed as heavily as hw pld

but also that poo poo went thru multiple layers of reviews and editing how?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

When two paladins meet, their job stones glow and then the dominant paladin's job stone absorbs the glow from the submissive paladin's job stone. No coherent explanation is given for why this is, why anyone should care or why it wasn't widely known to happen before these quests. But everyone, especially the 60-70 quest writers, agrees that the whole thing should be quietly forgotten.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Qwertycoatl posted:

When two paladins meet, their job stones glow and then the dominant paladin's job stone absorbs the glow from the submissive paladin's job stone. No coherent explanation is given for why this is, why anyone should care or why it wasn't widely known to happen before these quests. But everyone, especially the 60-70 quest writers, agrees that the whole thing should be quietly forgotten.
"And then the mommy jobstone gets pregnant, and nine months later, a new paladin stone is born!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah one thing to remember about their former Job quest workflow is that they're assigned to different people each expansion, usually. They're totally covering for the PLD HW quest guy so fans won't burn him in effigy outside the SE offices though.