Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Here's Niemann's lawsuit against Carlsen, chess.com, and some others. Good loving luck getting no less than $100 million.

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.moed.198608/gov.uscourts.moed.198608.1.0.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Filing in a US jurisdiction means I doubt this goes anywhere.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Uh yeah. He's one variety or another of public figure, and chess.com apparently has solid receipts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've just read through the cause of action. It's typical to ask for a huge number because courts are more likely to pare down a number than add to it, but also he's suing a huge company and punitive damages can be huge.

The chess.com "receipts" are allegations, not actual receipts, until or unless we actually see them. I imagine they'll be compelled to produce them during discovery. The fact they're giving $83M to Magnus to buy his company definitely colors their report.

That said, I've seen some other analysis of Niemann's history of games that show a very unusual number of them have "perfect play" according to a chess calculator, which is very suspicious. But Carlson and others accusing him of cheating didn't have that information when they made their accusations, and I think their accusations are based on mostly bullshit. They might be accidentally right.

Unfortunately with a lawsuit I think we can expect everyone involved to zip their lips (at least their lawyers will tell them to) and I doubt we'll get new news on this for months.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Oh I won't have to hear about anal beads and a case with zero actual evidence pointing in either direction for months? How terribly unfortunate.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh you'll still hear about it, for sure. There just isn't likely to be anything more of substance, like, carlson, nakamura, chess.com people, and niemann have undoubtedly all been told to shut the gently caress up about this publicly now. Maybe one or more won't heed their lawyer's advice? That's super common.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Leperflesh posted:

I've just read through the cause of action. It's typical to ask for a huge number because courts are more likely to pare down a number than add to it, but also he's suing a huge company and punitive damages can be huge.

The chess.com "receipts" are allegations, not actual receipts, until or unless we actually see them. I imagine they'll be compelled to produce them during discovery. The fact they're giving $83M to Magnus to buy his company definitely colors their report.

That said, I've seen some other analysis of Niemann's history of games that show a very unusual number of them have "perfect play" according to a chess calculator, which is very suspicious. But Carlson and others accusing him of cheating didn't have that information when they made their accusations, and I think their accusations are based on mostly bullshit. They might be accidentally right.

Unfortunately with a lawsuit I think we can expect everyone involved to zip their lips (at least their lawyers will tell them to) and I doubt we'll get new news on this for months.

The thing is that in a US jurisdiction, he has to prove that they are knowingly lying or have a wanton disregard for the truth. They don't even have to be right, just have a reasonable belief that they were right when they made the statements.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

The thing is that in a US jurisdiction, he has to prove that they are knowingly lying or have a wanton disregard for the truth. They don't even have to be right, just have a reasonable belief that they were right when they made the statements.

Given the Court right now, that may or may not still be true when this case goes to trial. (And it’s not at all clear that Niemann would qualify as a public figure in the US; chess isn’t exactly basketball, and it’s definitely not the kind of political comment that’s at the core of public figure doctrine.)

Also, even if the defamation claims get dismissed, the tortious interference and Sherman Act claims would remain.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

Oh I won't have to hear about anal beads and a case with zero actual evidence pointing in either direction for months? How terribly unfortunate.
Who on earth could manage to go a month without hearing about anal beads

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. I understand it's much more difficult to prove libel and slander in US courts, but the allegations in the complaint go well beyond just public statements. Niemann has alleged a specific conspiracy, with a corrupt financial motive, to blacklist a player whose victory jeopardizes magnus' brand (and thus chess.com's brand) value.

IMO that's quite different from allegations made by a journalist or, say, a person tweeting that they believe another person's public allegations that they were raped by a third person who definitely poo poo their pants in a chik-fil-a at gencon.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Splicer posted:

Who on earth could manage to go a month without hearing about anal beads

Me, a guy wearing aural beads.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Time flies doesn't seem a minute
Since the Tirolean spa had the chess boys in it
All change, don't you know that when you play at this level there's no ordinary venue

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

Me, a guy wearing aural beads.
I meant less the logistics and more the emotional toll.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kalman posted:

Given the Court right now, that may or may not still be true when this case goes to trial. (And it’s not at all clear that Niemann would qualify as a public figure in the US; chess isn’t exactly basketball, and it’s definitely not the kind of political comment that’s at the core of public figure doctrine.)

Also, even if the defamation claims get dismissed, the tortious interference and Sherman Act claims would remain.

Niemann is 100% a public figure in this case, here's a good thread breaking down this lawsuit

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1583225640873959424

Edit: it breaks halfway through, here's the continuation
https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1583252437191692288

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 22, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Lmao chess is absolutely kicking off lately.

I've been watching Eric Rosen on youtube and thinking I might try to learn to play again.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok first I can't believe that the source is Spikey Bits, but they actually did a journalism and it looks like Vallejo did some shady influencing over the army painter Speed Paint line.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
lmao incredible

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
That's a weird article. I get the point that the guy was playing up the problem and likely on the payroll of Vallejo, but Speedpaint reactivation was a well-documented issue that a lot of people developed workarounds for. It's not "basically invented" just because instructions say only one coat or you can varnish in between or whatever.

Also, part of the supporting material is pointing out the guy doesn't like Green Stuff World, aka the company that played coy about the black sun?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

it does seem less like deliberate sabotage and more like Hidalgo is blunt, opinionated, kind of a prick, and biased, which combine to make him aggressively harsh

sending your paints that are specifically designed to be one-and-done to an influencer like Hidalgo doesn't seem like a great idea to begin with

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The issue was definitely overblown, it's only a problem if you want to overpaint, the reactivation property also has a functional advantage in that you can wetblend in highlights or along transitions.

Working on a competing product calling it defective is pretty bad-faith, without the very relevant disclosure.

Don't think this will go anywhere or mean anything long-term though.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Is Speedpaint significantly different from contrast paint? Apart from being like half the price

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It sounds to me like the issue here is that Juan had a financial relationship with Vallejo that he did not disclose while doing reviews of competing products. That's a conflict of interest that his fans, viewers, customers, etc. should get to know about. Plenty of reviewers disclose that kind of relationship and still have their reviews taken seriously, and in fact it tends to highlight your integrity when you do that.

It's not clear to me whether Juan is actually a Vallejo employee, or a contractor/consultant/something else, and so I have no idea if they actually knew about this much less directed him to do this. The linked article is directly accusing Vallejo of putting out a hit on competing products and I'd like to hear more about how that chain of responsibility is established.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tarnop posted:

Is Speedpaint significantly different from contrast paint? Apart from being like half the price

It’s similar but it is different. FWIW, I like it more and have had no trouble with it.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

moths posted:

Ok first I can't believe that the source is Spikey Bits, but they actually did a journalism and it looks like Vallejo did some shady influencing over the army painter Speed Paint line.
Juan Hidalgo just posted a response on his channel:

quote:

Of all the sh*t takes I've ever read in my life this has to take the crown. Not only is ill-intended but it's the most disgusting piece of "news" I've ver layed my eyes on

Apparently the reactivation issue is something I've created, and pointing it out makes me the bad guy.

Not only was I not the first one to point that out, that was Stahly BTW, how am I to blame for a property of a paint most people find undesirable

I suppose he'll talk more about his relationship with Vallejo in a video. For the time being, here's his full response: https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxnUvd_7kNv4xphvkx4Dnn_ivE712nMb6i

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Lmao chess is absolutely kicking off lately.

I've been watching Eric Rosen on youtube and thinking I might try to learn to play again.

Same.

I'm 50, so it'll take me what, about a month? To reach Grandmaster status.

Prolly be challenging the world champion by this time next year. :colbert:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Noble Knight employees form a union. NK rejected voluntary recognition.

Excited to see more unions in retail and tabletop.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/52534/union-formed-game-retailer

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

CitizenKeen posted:

Noble Knight employees form a union
Saw that in my CWA newsletter today. Glad to have them, but also, man, we really are the catch-all union in America. hosed if anyone can explain how they're 'communication' workers.

Having been a part of a fair few union formations (family is extensively union, my father was an organizer for more than a decade with the IBEW), 70% declaring is pretty much a done deal. That's the threshold lawyers on both sides will tell you is not worth fighting. And the Leeder brothers that own NK choosing to fight the union, after talking to their lawyers and seeing that 70%, tells me they're going the path of bastards. Aaron and Dan can get hosed.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I would definitely want union representation if my job involved picking through someone's box of AD&D supplements, model rockets, knives, and crusty socks.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

The person that I emailed at Noble Knight was very apologetic when a live cockroach crawled out of the used Crisis Protocol box set that I bought and I hope she gets more money and time off.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Noble Knight's customer service helped me when i accidentally ordered the wrong thing, they let me cancel it and buy the right thing, then when they shipped the original wrong thing to me anyway they were just like "Eh, keep it. No big deal."

So yeah, I hope they get paid the big money they're worth.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Seems like the whole SpikeyBits vs Juan Hidalgo drama is blowing up... not in SB's favor:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/ylyk1v/psa_spikeybits_now_blacklisted/

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Spikey Bits, doing bad journalism and pissing people off?

truly shocking

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Is Goonhammer goons or not?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Eastmabl posted:

Is Goonhammer goons or not?

Yes, at least some are. B Phillip York and Robert "TheChirurgeon" Jones are.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Ilor's a goon as well. I know there's something like two dozen owners of Goonhammer and I assume the majority are from the forums.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

BlackIronHeart posted:

Ilor's a goon as well. I know there's something like two dozen owners of Goonhammer and I assume the majority are from the forums.

This is correct - the actual core members/owners are almost entirely from here, though the contributor/freelancer pool is probably 50/50 or so at this point. Every now and then we get a contributor who has no idea what the “goon” portion of the name means.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PantsOptional posted:

This is correct - the actual core members/owners are almost entirely from here, though the contributor/freelancer pool is probably 50/50 or so at this point. Every now and then we get a contributor who has no idea what the “goon” portion of the name means.

Well now I'm having fun imagining a bunch of very confused hockey players applying.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Here's some unexpected industry news: the guy who makes those "Oh No" comics you may have seen on twitter, with a pink blob guy, he's currently involved in a lawsuit because a board game company got him tangled up in a predatory contract they claim gives them ownership over his comic. That company? Golden Bell Studios.

https://twitter.com/dorrismccomics/status/1590035578724052992

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/15766079/norris-v-goldner/

Golden Bell Studios is pretty infamous in boardgame industry circles for being run by a huge fuckin shithead rear end in a top hat who threatens to sue people all the time, which is kind of funny since he's apparently been sued successfully himself a half dozen times or so by other creators for pulling similarly shady contract poo poo, including a televised episode of the People's Court. here's an extensive article that goes into things in a lot more detail, including their most infamous fiasco which involved them trying to illegally ship board games via Media Mail to get around shipping costs and then requesting additional funding to cover shipping (when this plan didn't work) to be sent to the founder's own personal Paypal account.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Kai Tave posted:

Here's some unexpected industry news: the guy who makes those "Oh No" comics you may have seen on twitter, with a pink blob guy, he's currently involved in a lawsuit because a board game company got him tangled up in a predatory contract they claim gives them ownership over his comic. That company? Golden Bell Studios.

They're involved in a lawsuit, their twitter bio's literally right there.

But seriously, I am shocked at how much of a red flag Golden Bell Studios is at every turn. If someone says they're really in the IP business, run in the opposite direction as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Golden Bell sucks on every level, yeah. I think discussions about their prior poo poo was in the Kickstarter thread? They've been banned from Kickstarter, but their business M-O is to approach a funded Kickstarter, offer to help with fulfillment, and hand over a truly scummy contract to effectively steal the IPs out from under independent creators. Kickstarter can't really stop them from doing that, so they've been plugging away even after the ban.

The KS thread must've also been where there was discussion about the time they tried to commit mail fraud by labeling shipments of the Unbroken board game as "media mail." That write up in the article Kai Tave is pretty comprehensive though.

Kai Tave posted:

including a televised episode of the People's Court.

Here's an article on that incident: https://www.abbynews.com/news/abbotsford-woman-wins-legal-battle-over-board-game-on-reality-t-v-s-the-peoples-court/

Unsurprisingly they were pulling their "stealing your game out from under you" scam on a random woman with a cute baking card game. Also lol:

quote:

Devois doesn’t know why Goldner accepted the show’s invitation, but his emails threatening litigation against her, Judge Milian and the show’s producers suggest he regrets the decision.

“Just to let you know you don’t have the rights to the game,” Goldner wrote. “The Judge erred and [made] a wrong ruling. You can’t have the money AND the rights back. I’m in law school Kelsey.”

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 8, 2022