Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

MikeJF posted:

Worf crossed the picket line in Bar Association.

I feel like this doesn't actually address anything that I said, either in tone or in wording

I would also classify it as a misrepresentation of the sentiment that I expressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Worf posted:

I've been in and not in unions in the same job at competing companies and you'll never guess which job had way more suicidal zombies & abuse going on at it

I'm not sure they can be accurately presented as a Definite Better Than The Alternative, and that people that disagree have been propagandized

A lot of the bullshit, though not all of it, present at zombie company, was directly and exclusively related to the unions existence 🤷‍♀️ (100% of the BS not endemic to the industry or having a job sure was union BS, tho )

I do not think the lower pay, worse conditions, or worse work:life balance was a form of propaganda either

E2: I do not think IBEW or CWA are considered podunk little unions people haven't heard of either, fwiw

One time I worked for a partially owned subsidiary of a company that had IBEW and CWA employees, They went on strike and instead of picketing their own company or office they decided to do it to mine. Well it was a retail establishment that largely paid its people on commission and they picketed for months and did just about everything they could to make sure we didn't get any customers

I guarantee you not a single one of those people was making as little as the employees that worked there it was pretty disturbing at a human level to watch them gleefully make it more difficult for people to put food on the table or pay rent, knowing full well that's what they were doing

I think if you make it harder for somebody that's making like 9 or $10 an hour to put food on the table you basically forfeit your grievance 🤷‍♀️ that's just punching down.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Did you want to translate that into words?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Klingon isn't a capitalist society, and neither is earth. People work for honor. So Worf probably doesn't understand the concept of a picket line

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

uvar posted:

I've ended up watching Enterprise as my first 'classic' Star Trek series (after enjoying Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds), partially because I thought it would be funny to be in the tiny minority of people who did that on purpose. But I guess it's helped make the reused plots less tiresome! It's been decent in an early 2000s sort of way.

Anyway I just got to the end of season 3 (overall less entertaining than the first two) and that cliffhanger at the end, holy poo poo. People must have been spitting chips when it aired.
Yes all Trek fans did a collective WTF when that happened. I remember the reaction after it aired.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Worf posted:

Did you want to translate that into words?

O’Brien is the union man in Bar Association.

Anyways I don’t think it’s controversial to say that some unions, particularly the larger ones, have indeed become various degrees of corrupt and harmful but the solution is reforming the union, not abolishing it. At the end of the day leaving working conditions and worker’s rights in the hands of management and capital will inevitably result in far worse.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Not enough Worker Owned Cooperatives in Trek IMHo.

Unless...the Marquis!?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

External Organs posted:

Not enough Worker Owned Cooperatives in Trek IMHo.

Unless...the Marquis!?

Worker owned only makes sense in a capitalist society. Ownership of anything that isn't personal effects is largely irrelevant in the Federation, so obviously business ownership isn't a thing, except in Ferengi contexts.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

hyped for project: khan

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

No Dignity posted:

Neelix had his afterlife proven objectively wrong and nearly killes himself over it. B'Lanna was the one who seemed to get confirmation that it's all legit

Yeah, that should have said "proven wrong." Just a really dumb brain fart that I didn't notice.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kibayasu posted:

O’Brien is the union man in Bar Association.

Anyways I don’t think it’s controversial to say that some unions, particularly the larger ones, have indeed become various degrees of corrupt and harmful but the solution is reforming the union, not abolishing it. At the end of the day leaving working conditions and worker’s rights in the hands of management and capital will inevitably result in far worse.
In general, "reform" has become a dirty word and I think that's unfortunate. Sometimes, yeah, the problem is that shitheads and corrupt people have been getting a good thing dirty for twenty years and you just need to hose it off and adjust the calipers.

However,

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Particular unions aren't always good or well-run. There's a reason the wave of 2010s teachers' strikes were all wildcat strikes. Union officials can get very cozy with their six figure salaries and their cordial relationship with management. You're seeing the same thing with the rail strike. Union bargainers are taking absolutely insulting agreements back to their members for votes. THREE sick days a year on a 295 day work calendar???

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Hollywood is a union town. Actors, writers, directors, producers, costumers, set designers, stunts, etc. There were probably less than 5% of people on the Paramount lot when DS9 was being made that weren't in one union or another.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes all Trek fans did a collective WTF when that happened. I remember the reaction after it aired.

I think a lot of people back then realized that the writing was on the wall. By season 3 of Enterprise people had really caught on to paying attention to ratings beyond the GOOD! or BAD! level of analysis. Nemesis was a bad movie, cratered at the box office (releasing a week before The Two Towers was absolutely insane if they wanted any sort of legs for that movie) and they'd announced that nothing else was in the works. It was a pretty grim time to be a Star Trek fan and thusly alien Nazis out of nowhere didn't seem that odd.

That whole era is such an interesting transition for TV. Just keeping it to Sci-Fi TV it's less than three years from the end of Voyager till the BSG miniseries, the evolution of what TV sci-fi looked like was massive.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

uvar posted:

Anyway I just got to the end of season 3 (overall less entertaining than the first two) and that cliffhanger at the end, holy poo poo. People must have been spitting chips when it aired.

People lost their goddamn minds and it was funny as hell. There hasn't really been a Star Trek cliffhanger that batshit before or since and I kinda miss the chaos energy insanity of it sometimes, even if it probably only happened as a result of Berman/Braga getting booted from the showrunner position so this was them flipping the bird at Manny Coto on their way out the door

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's such a shame what they did to Jadzia. Terry Farrell was right that the ensemble was so big there would be no real problems with her appearing as a recurring character in season 7. And season 7 suffers badly from having to introduce Ezri.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Mods rename thread to Star Trek:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

It's such a shame what they did to Jadzia. Terry Farrell was right that the ensemble was so big there would be no real problems with her appearing as a recurring character in season 7. And season 7 suffers badly from having to introduce Ezri.

The circumstances behind it suck rear end. But I think that if they had to kill off one of the main heroes, Jadzia was the best choice for storytelling potential. Ezra would been integrated better if they didn’t have one season left.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

CPColin posted:

Mods rename thread to Star Trek:

TV IV > Star Trek: He was more than a hero. *hits blunt* He was a union man

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Delsaber posted:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I finished Voyager yesterday in my rewatch. The first time I saw it, I was disappointed with it. Voyager has a tendency to bring up some intriguing scenarios and then say “nah.” In my initial watch through of Voyager, I was disappointed that they didn’t have a proper episode where they arrive home and get caught up and go their separate ways. The closest we see is a future timeline that gets wiped out. (What causes a timeline to diverge or get erased anyway?)

Anyway. Just started another rewatch of Enterprise. It’s been a long time.

(Oh poo poo Tiny Lister is in the Enterprise pilot.)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Delsaber posted:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Delsaber posted:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tea Party guy in Star Trek: “Sulliban, Sulu-ban…Brothers???”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ezri also had basically nothing to do in the final 10 episodes except resolve her Worf issues and move onto loving Bashir and everything about that suuuucked.