Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/mtrc/status/1151531475336081408?s=20&t=-VxLxyNGEBXjjbu9JK337Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1583817977719242752?t=h8amA2YvJsFfGd0pJO_lYw&s=19

:ohdear: "Oh no, you know we can't use that language on the BBC..."

:britain:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

That is a great expression that I have somehow never heard before.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

forkboy84 posted:

Ukraine seems to have been fairly consistent for Corbyn: War bad

he said in an interview that the ukranians should stop fighting off the invasion and the west should stop supplying them with the means to do so. the result of that would be to just let the russian army rape, torture and murder across the whole country

fighting is generally bad but sometimes it's necessary

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

City Slicker posted:

They have found mass graves in the towns recaptured during the most recent big counteroffensive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izium_mass_graves

Well that's awful obviously. But brutal murders and deadly interrogations are common for invading armies, were the British and Americans genociding the Afghan or Iraqi people or were they a brutal invasion force with little regard for the lives they destroyed? None of this is good but the general course of the war is taking over 20 Ukrainian civilian lives every day as well as now putting many more at risk of freezing and starving as Russian destroys their infrastructure. It's not up to me to say they should surrender but I'm not going to say it's a good thing the West is prolonging the war because it suits their needs.

Mega Comrade posted:

This is probably one of the most NATO critical active threads in DnD. But sure, if it makes you feel smug, tell yourself it's the propaganda making us not agree with your poo poo opinions.

Criticism of NATO until NATO does something and then gives it massive support isn't criticism. This is part and parcel of NATOs function and it's doing so for the same reasons it always acts so yeah I'm cynical about peoples abilities to resist the entire media landscape constructing their viewpoint when they really don't seem to be doing so.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

never start a sentence with "sorry for being racist" imo

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

in other news:
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1583819659715149824

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 22, 2022

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and that's not me saying be an unapologetic racist, i'm saying don't be a racist in the first place

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

fuctifino posted:

loving Tankies

What?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
A tankie is someone to your left. Tankies are called that because they often oppose sending in tanks, etc., in foreign interventions.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

cat botherer posted:

A tankie is someone to your left. Tankies are called that because they often oppose sending in tanks, etc., in foreign interventions.

Lmao

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I deleted it. But please can we contain the Ukraine stuff in the various Ukraine threads, because if people have opposing to the norm opinions this late into the game, then they aren't going to be changed by people in this thread.

e: Back to topic

https://twitter.com/wizbates/status/1583750916284461056

lol

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hearing some wild claims that Johnson has the hundred but it's not like he's exactly an honest guy....

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1583480474558550017

more lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

If this goes to the members Boris 1000% has this in the bag lmao

Like, I don't see how this can go any differently, short of the party deciding to unilaterally coronate Sunak or some other out-of-left field shenanigans

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

namesake posted:

Hearing some wild claims that Johnson has the hundred but it's not like he's exactly an honest guy....

Yeah, the language is "COULD have" and "IF he wanted to" in all of the statements I've seen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Barry Foster posted:

If this goes to the members Boris 1000% has this in the bag lmao

Like, I don't see how this can go any differently, short of the party deciding to unilaterally coronate Sunak or some other out-of-left field shenanigans

They certainly want a coronation. If Sunak does get an absolute majority of Tory MPs on board I expect they'll try to bypass the members vote stating that nobody else can command majority support within the party.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

It feels like members & Boris want a grand comeback, MPs and those inside have foreknowledge of a giant unexploded ticking kettle of poo poo with his name on if he does

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's been a lot of "Why can't they just talk to each other and negotiate a peaceful end to hostilities?", which is kind of complicated by one side's demands being "GTFO of our country and leave us alone to do what we want", and the other side's being "you're not a real country anyway, so we want to take over by force as much of your territory as we can, up to and including the lot. Oh, and anyone who opposes us in any way will be killed." Not much room for compromise there.

It's a horrible situation, but any appeasement of Russia will only make things worse down the line, as they'll just keep doing their usual routine in the other non-NATO former satellites: forment trouble, send in Little Green Men to 'aid' the pro-Russian contingent, slice off a piece of a sovereign state and recognise it as an 'independent' republic, repeat.

Of course, kicking Russia's poo poo in now may later result in the Russian Federation breaking apart into an assortment of nuclear-armed warlord states and exciting times ensuing, but who's to know?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

namesake posted:

Boris phones every credulous journalist he knows who just unerringly tweets it out, assuming friend Boris would never lie to them, not after he promised not to at the start of the phone call.

I can only assume journos think MPs are like cops where if they're lying they have to tell you.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

OzyMandrill posted:

It feels like members & Boris want a grand comeback, MPs and those inside have foreknowledge of a giant unexploded ticking kettle of poo poo with his name on if he does

Text: "Yes, I called for Boris to resign previously. But I have conferred with my American counterpart, Susan Collins, and she has assured me that Boris has learned his lesson and will behave better going forward."

Subtext: "Yes, he's a feces timebomb and we're all going to go through this PM-search process AGAIN in a few months. But we have no one else that the base will accept, and they'll lynch us if we simply coronate Sunak."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1583824962904674304

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

cat botherer posted:

Lol when the UK megathread is incapable of defining tankie then you know its lost all usefulness.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Whitey Snipes posted:

These kind of comments come across as equally blinkered. It isn't actually that easy to manipulate the public and it took a confluence of a lot of factors to produce the 2019 result. Despite the media onslaught, Corbyn still nearly pulled it out if the bag against May - a result that should have been impossible if it was as simple as you describe.

The Tory brand itself has now been associated with shambolic government and economic incompetence and it really won't be as easy as just jettisoning Truss and claiming it was all her fault.

The only reason he almost "pulled it out of the bag" was because it actually is that easy.

The papers and the corrupt just need one thing. With Corbyn it just took them a little longer to find the antisemitism angle.

But now his name is tarnished to the mass ignorant because, like I said the papers just need one thing to put on their headlines and it becomes Truth.

Truss being our next saviour despite all evidence to the contrary that she was a loving idiot? Truth until she broke the country to a degree that couldn't be hidden.

The Tory brand has only been permanently associated to shambolic tenancies by the likes of us.

Bob "its all the foreigners innit" Smith takes the current headline as fact and associates the Tories with whatever happens to be in the papers that week. Which will be "Boris brings back stability! Business as usual, we are Great Britane forever! Turn off your lights to stop those French energy companies getting your money!"

The UK is made up of a lot of Bob Smiths.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Oh lol, I missed this bit of news from yesterday

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1583522846730780674

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I feel like a broken record but the fact that Westminster is madder than Stormont - even during a period where we're going off on one - really is just loving bonkers.

I mean, great for me as a Nationalist, but then I also have the knowledge of knowing I helped stuff my dad's shed with stolen firewood from the forest to help fend off the Fimbulwinter Britain has deemed to send our way.

haakman
May 5, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

What are these "NATO goals". Not being invaded by Russia?

wrong thread for this dude.

edit - the nato poo poo.

haakman fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 22, 2022

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol when the UK megathread is incapable of defining tankie then you know its lost all usefulness.

that was a joke my guy

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If your criticism of NATO is "the things NATO does is bad because NATO is doing them" then that's not criticism, it's blind hatred

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hating NATO is good though.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Gorn Myson posted:

Broken clock, etc.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Gorn Myson posted:

Hate NATO and also Russia and all imperialistic states and state structures?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Good things don't become bad because NATO is doing them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dabir posted:

No you see, because the West has an absolute monopoly on violent imperialism therefore :words: anyway thoughts and prayers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If a bully punches you in the face and another bully defends you by punching their face you have to say no thank you I'll just keep getting punched in the face

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nilbop posted:

I feel like a broken record but the fact that Westminster is madder than Stormont - even during a period where we're going off on one - really is just loving bonkers.

I mean, great for me as a Nationalist, but then I also have the knowledge of knowing I helped stuff my dad's shed with stolen firewood from the forest to help fend off the Fimbulwinter Britain has deemed to send our way.

Roll on direct rule from Westminster... & Dublin, i think some changes come into force next Friday if Stormont isn't working again. :buddy:

Let it all burn. :torygov:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Dabir posted:

If they're being done for bad reasons (the breakup of Russia and the eventual monopolisation on world power by the West) then yes, it's bad. NATO isn't defending Ukraine for good reasons. Even if you think Ukraine should win and not get invaded / divided by Russia by force, NATO and other Western institutions like the IMF getting involved are only going to immiserate the working class of Ukraine.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Rarity posted:

If a bully punches you in the face and another bully defends you by punching their face you have to say no thank you I'll just keep getting punched in the face

Bad analogy. The second bully actually takes you to his Dojo and makes you wax his car and paint his fence then you kick the first bully in the face at the all valley championships. Years later you run a car dealership and I dunno give Putin a job washing cars or something i dunno.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

If they're being done for bad reasons (the breakup of Russia and the eventual monopolisation on world power by the West) then yes, it's bad. NATO isn't defending Ukraine for good reasons. Even if you think Ukraine should win and not get invaded / divided by Russia by force, NATO and other Western institutions like the IMF getting involved are only going to immiserate the working class of Ukraine.

I'm ok with the breakup of the genocidal fascist state that's actively invading its neighbours to steal their land. I didn't realise this was a controversial idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

We generally leave that take to scotpol.