Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Indeed, though an arc about Kawaki being forced into an awkward social situation could potentially be fun (and ironically enough for the last few weeks the anime has been doing the exact same thing albeit under different circumstances)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Indeed, though an arc about Kawaki being forced into an awkward social situation could potentially be fun (and ironically enough for the last few weeks the anime has been doing the exact same thing albeit under different circumstances)

It's kinda funny how the manga is just about giving up on topping Naruto as a typical shonen battle manga and is just retooling everything as a wacky ninja-themed high school romcom.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Frankly they never should've tried to top Naruto to begin with. That Ninja war already oversaturated the formula like three times over in two fights. I doubt many Boruto fans have been especially convinced or enthralled by the narrative power creep of Naruto and Sasuke thus far, though I for one have just accepted it for the sake of seeing where this is going. Thankfully this arc has at least had interesting character development in spite of the bullshit powers.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I will make the bold statement that Episode 65 was a mistake. In a series focused on the newer generation, it brought back the two biggest hitters of the previous show and turned them loose at full power. It made for a great episode and a fun spectacle, but it permanently altered the power curve - all of a sudden, we're at Shippuden end-game rear end-pull power levels again, and every time Boruto escalates, it escalates from full power Naruto and Sasuke instead of from Boruto and friends. Which means they had to keep dragging Naruto and Sasuke back in, and then with Isshiki - not even the final boss - shows up they've reached the level of permanently crippling Naruto and Sasuke to meet the power levels. Halfway through the series.

They should have waited. Let Boruto handle Momoshiki, let Boruto and Kawaki solo Isshiki, kept the power curve low enough that Naruto and Sasuke could be occasional seasoning. Then at the end, when there's no more story to tell, is when they should have broken out Baryon Mode and Sasuke with the full Rinnegan powerset. One last blaze of glory, beside Boruto, not supplanting him.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Pretty pointless manga chapter. I assume Salad was protected either by the glasses or the Sharingan.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The chapter in question:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-74/chapter/25505?action=read

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

rndmnmbr posted:

I will make the bold statement that Episode 65 was a mistake. In a series focused on the newer generation, it brought back the two biggest hitters of the previous show and turned them loose at full power. It made for a great episode and a fun spectacle, but it permanently altered the power curve - all of a sudden, we're at Shippuden end-game rear end-pull power levels again, and every time Boruto escalates, it escalates from full power Naruto and Sasuke instead of from Boruto and friends. Which means they had to keep dragging Naruto and Sasuke back in, and then with Isshiki - not even the final boss - shows up they've reached the level of permanently crippling Naruto and Sasuke to meet the power levels. Halfway through the series.

They should have waited. Let Boruto handle Momoshiki, let Boruto and Kawaki solo Isshiki, kept the power curve low enough that Naruto and Sasuke could be occasional seasoning. Then at the end, when there's no more story to tell, is when they should have broken out Baryon Mode and Sasuke with the full Rinnegan powerset. One last blaze of glory, beside Boruto, not supplanting him.

Isshiki is still the most powerful antagonist, and after his defeat Naruto and Sasuke both got greatly permanently weakened.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

Pretty pointless manga chapter. I assume Salad was protected either by the glasses or the Sharingan.

Maybe because the Uchiha are descended from Indra Otsutsuki?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, Sasuke is getting his own manga series apparently:

https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1583201437059674112

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Eida just started the timer that ends with Mitsuki in a hetero timeskip family. I wonder if Kawaki's getting paranoid about who really came back that night, the house has such a fun violent dynamic, but not a fan of Daemon commenting on his sister's lap. kinda weird my guy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when it comes to sasuke vs. dinosaurs, who is going to root for sasuke?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Larryb posted:

Wait is this what Sasuke's up to right now.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So the implication is that the source of Eida and Daemon's strength comes from a sort of Otsutsuki modification?

Shikadai couldn't really see Eida but Sarada has something else. Probably just Sharingan hax but who knows.

Poor Konohamaru but Amado did say you could hurt yourself trying too hard to resist Eida's charm.

I like Damon because the idea of a brat with a dumb haircut being the strongest is really amusing. It also reminds me of Kakashi's line waaaay back in early Naruto about the world being big and there being people younger than genin Naruto but stronger than Kakashi.

Larryb posted:

Huh. Is this new or an adaptation of something else?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The tweet says it’s new at any rate, not sure if there’s any other info on it out yet

That said Sasuke & Sakura Vs Dinosaurs is a concept that’s at least worth a read in my opinion

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The new chapter was fine, it's setting up things well enough for wherever this arc is going. I guess it's a bit slow for a monthly comic, but it does what it needs to do. Maybe they could've given a little more taste of what Amado has to say, but I get saving it for next time.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The new Manga is an adaptation of the Sasuke Retsuden light novel.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

iamsosmrt posted:

The new chapter was fine, it's setting up things well enough for wherever this arc is going. I guess it's a bit slow for a monthly comic, but it does what it needs to do. Maybe they could've given a little more taste of what Amado has to say, but I get saving it for next time.

It felt like it went by too fast with not much happening, but at the same time thinking about it I'm not sure what you should cut to keep the pacing up while keeping the situation as is. Maybe shorten the conflict with Daemon?
Maybe the 3 stooges shouldn't have turned up, but they're there specifically to point out multiple ways to "avoid" Eida's influence.
It's not like anything was really wasted.

Vinylshadow posted:

Maybe because the Uchiha are descended from Indra Otsutsuki?
That's my guess, I assume Amado just never tested Eida on an Uchiha before. It also tracks with Shikadai not being affected because he didn't see her clearly.

Larryb posted:

Hurray, saturday's are quiet manga days.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

The new Manga is an adaptation of the Sasuke Retsuden light novel.

Was said novel any good then?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Larryb posted:

And here's ch 1 of the Sasuke manga

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1015126

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not bad for a start, do we know how long this miniseries is going to last and how often new chapters will be released?

A prison protected by velociraptors is a unique idea at least and I’m curious how Sakura’s going to get involved in this

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 22, 2022

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Makes sense why Sasuke is so aloof as a family man and member of Konoha, dude is basically a god with almost zero limits in the mortal sense. Experiencing prison means almost nothing to him aside from the means to find his information. Dude is so "above it all" and arguably so broken he can probably barely perceive basic joy.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

iamsosmrt posted:

Makes sense why Sasuke is so aloof as a family man and member of Konoha, dude is basically a god with almost zero limits in the mortal sense. Experiencing prison means almost nothing to him aside from the means to find his information. Dude is so "above it all" and arguably so broken he can probably barely perceive basic joy.

I don't think "joy" is an emotion Sasuke is capable of. I'm shocked he could even say he has a wife.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

This new series needs to have at least one occurrence of Sakura punching a dinosaur square in the face.

In fact it should have many occurrences.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Dinosaurs didn't go extinct because of a meteor, it was just Sakura having one no good very bad day.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The color pages almost tricked me into thinking this was drawn by Kishimoto, but no, it's pretty evident it's just someone going for his style even without checking the credits. That said, I think I genuinely prefer how this manga looks vs. Boruto.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

This new series needs to have at least one occurrence of Sakura punching a dinosaur square in the face.

In fact it should have many occurrences.

You can’t introduce literal dinosaurs into a story like this and not have the main characters fight them at least once after all

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Sorry folks, the dinosaur is just two kids in a costume

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Chapter was cool. I have no idea how they’re going to make it challenging for Sasuke, but having a broken guy go around owning everyone is fun as well.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

Chapter was cool. I have no idea how they’re going to make it challenging for Sasuke, but having a broken guy go around owning everyone is fun as well.

Yeah, it's like a jrpg where you recruit one of the big badass villains where you hope to unleash their awesome arsenal on the enemy but they almost always nerf the hell out of them immediately instead. Sometimes you just want to feel like you broke the game.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Larryb posted:

Was said novel any good then?

I don't know, it hasn't been released in English yet, and the fan translation is a horrible mess. But apparently to the rest of the internet, if you like Sakura and Sasuke as a couple, this one is for you.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

iamsosmrt posted:

Very hungry kids

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

They still ate a guy though

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol at opening with Naruto chasing after Sasuke and yelling his name.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Larryb posted:

They still ate a guy though

That's not that outrageous in the Narutoverse. Naruto himself would still try to reform them with friendship

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
love that these bozos saw sasuke bend space to his will and still wanted the smoke.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

That's not that outrageous in the Narutoverse. Naruto himself would still try to reform them with friendship

After Orochimaru, anybody can be redeemed. Dude didn't just eat people, he basically ate souls.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

Good point. Well, as long as someone punches and/or befriends a dinosaur during the course of this series I’ll be satisfied (but this series is about Sasuke so we can probably rule out the latter already)

Speaking of, do we know how often new chapters of this will come out yet out of curiosity and how long it’ll last in general?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 22, 2022

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
this is Sasuke’s story though and he’s gonna get everybody and everything killed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The cover art implies that Sakura will get involved in this eventually, only question is how useful they’re gonna allow her to be.

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if this arc gets animated one day when the anime needs some filler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Haven't been reading or watching Bort. Has Sasuke done anything especially edgy or stupid after Naruto Gaiden?