Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

"hey can you move my car for me?"
"yeah sure just pass me the keys"
"oh no i need you to download the app, and then log in using my credentials, then watch the 14 minute tutorial on how to open the door and how to shift the car into reverse hey where are you going?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

BoldFace posted:

If you ever feel like making fun of Elon's silly little tunnel projects, consider the following.
https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1583212588300894208
https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1583004152908873728

Saudi Arabia is going to kill so many foreign workers failing to build this.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

BoldFace posted:

If you ever feel like making fun of Elon's silly little tunnel projects, consider the following.
https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1583212588300894208
https://twitter.com/JamesMelville/status/1583004152908873728

Pretty good YouTube takedown of this techno-bullshit here.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

“for too long humanity has existed”

can’t disagree with that opening line

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Bad Purchase posted:

he had his phone as a backup to unlock the car, but that requires both the phone and the car to have internet access because it authenticates with tesla
I love how there are hundreds/thousands of tech nerds working at Tesla, and somehow Elon or some other dipshit was able to push this through with probably no push back. I also love how people are willing to buy a car knowing this is how it works.

People are so dumb.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's dumb, yeah, but the phone is supposed to be a backup. the key fob issue he had would be like if you broke or lost your physical key. most modern cars would also be stuck in that situation (although many you could still shift out of park for easier towing). my car came with a 2nd set of keys, though. not sure if that's standard on teslas or not. seems like this whole thing could be mitigated if you kept a 2nd key fob at home for emergencies. then at worst it's an uber trip home or bugging a friend/family member to bring it to you at the garage you're stuck in.

the part of it that's crazy to me is that tesla assistance had no answer for this situation. you'd think they could just program a new fob and bring it out in an emergency. a lost key fob seems like a pretty common customer service situation, how do they normally handle that?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

The concept itself is not dystopian, but God knows the saudis are like the worst people to put in charge of this.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

What do you do if your at the end 170km house and you want takeaway from a place near the start

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
There are a couple of videos on Youtube where architects dissect The Line, this was the last one I saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b7uMJkvS0o

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

hemale in pain posted:

What do you do if your at the end 170km house and you want takeaway from a place near the start

tip an extra dollar on doordash, obviously

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Finally someone's gonna make Dahir Insaat videos a reality.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

TwoPair posted:

Finally someone's gonna make Dahir Insaat videos a reality.

Is that how his last name is pronounced? Never saw one of his videos that declared it. Unfortunate.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bad Purchase posted:

a lost key fob seems like a pretty common customer service situation, how do they normally handle that?
Lol at the concept of "Tesla Customer Service"

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

FilthyImp posted:

Lol at the concept of "Tesla Customer Service"

Why bother with setting up customer service when you fully expect your fanboys to take whatever you give them and never complain because of how loving awesome you are?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Yaldabaoth posted:

The concept itself is not dystopian, but God knows the saudis are like the worst people to put in charge of this.

The concept isn't dystopian, just extremely dumb

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mobby_6kl posted:

I would argue it is dumbtopian.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

mobby_6kl posted:

I hate traffic so much that the idea of a city that's just a straight line is appealing to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just imagine trying to make a left turn across 170 km of people going the same way

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yaldabaoth posted:

I hate traffic so much that the idea of a city that's just a straight line is appealing to me.

What if your favorite place in the city was at the exact opposite end of the line from your home? Now imagine the city is 100+ km in length.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What if your favorite place in the city was at the exact opposite end of the line from your home? Now imagine the city is 100+ km in length.

making the city that long is the main problem.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Why even bother conceptualizing this thing, the people in charge can't believe it's ever actually getting built can they? I wonder if that cyborg dragon island guy can get the backing of the Iranian government.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

the part of it that's crazy to me is that tesla assistance had no answer for this situation. you'd think they could just program a new fob and bring it out in an emergency. a lost key fob seems like a pretty common customer service situation, how do they normally handle that?

Yeah, when Tesla's whole thing is "the service department comes to you," it's kinda weird they apparently have no procedure for issuing replacement keys that way.

Then again, a friend had a nightmare trying to get a replacement key at the Tesla dealership with all his paperwork in hand, so I guess it shouldn't really be surprising.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Why dont they just make a city like an SSD but city size? bing boom so easy.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

just make a carless city they are better in every way

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/electricalWSOP/status/1583962885989883904

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Elon Musk can skillfully allocate my loving nuts onto his forehead.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Gentle Autist posted:

That's what that line is. It's all public transport inside the brick.

The theory is that it will be lots of small, repeating arrangements of services and commercial outlets so you're never more than a few miles from a thing. That completely ignores stuff like variation in quality and stock, but they don't care about such minor issues.

It is horrific. We live in a bad world so it will probably succeed.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Gentle Autist posted:

In Saudi Arabia every city is carless for half the population.

Edit: I have been informed that this joke has gone outdated since 2018 :yotj:

The Alchemist fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 23, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yaldabaoth posted:

That shape will make traffic much worse, though. Any given utility or store will service fewer people, who will have to travel a longer distance across a more limited/narrow number of routes to get there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Perestroika posted:

That shape will make traffic much worse, though. Any given utility or store will service fewer people, who will have to travel a longer distance across a more limited/narrow number of routes to get there.

Yeah if arranging cities in a line made any sense, we would've been doing it for centuries. Everything is going to be so much farther away for no reason lol.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah if arranging cities in a line made any sense, we would've been doing it for centuries. Everything is going to be so much farther away for no reason lol.

That's where the underground slave-based delivery systems come in, obviously

Realising that this city that could be literally cut in half by one good solid IED and laughing maniacally

The only thing that makes any of this work is that none of it ever needs to exist

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

goatface posted:

That's what that line is. It's all public transport inside the brick.

The theory is that it will be lots of small, repeating arrangements of services and commercial outlets so you're never more than a few miles from a thing. That completely ignores stuff like variation in quality and stock, but they don't care about such minor issues.

It is horrific. We live in a bad world so it will probably succeed.

Good news, there is no universe where an idea this stupid could succeed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The sewage system will need to be something special.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

The sewage system will need to be something special.

What do you mean "sewage system"

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Sewage by high speed rail

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gonna be another big desalination plant too.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
What if you took the Line, cut it in half, and stacked the two lines side-by-side. Now you have double the coverage of all the facilities! But wait, what if you do it again on the double line, and then again, until you have a shape which is like a line, but is equally spaced in two dimensions in some sort of square or circle-like shape! I call it the hyperline.

Also big lol at calling a 170 km impassible wall lined with death-ray mirrors in the desert "designed to protect and enhance nature"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If I've learned anything in math class, it's that lines only come in 170km segments, so it would be impossible to do this city on a smaller scale

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not meant to be the complete city, a more normal looking one is meant to grow around it. Hopefully it ends up like a massive Kowloon walled city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

"I'm sorry we couldn't make it to the hospital while your dad was still alive, honey, but we couldn't turn left with everyone trying to head to Starbucks."