Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6wS8YSudj0

Some reals spells getting cast, folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hello Bust

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Decklists for the 2022 Commander Starter decks have been posted.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
The Azorius one is going to outsell the others 4 to 1 on the Talisman alone.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

These are actually kinda ok (not great, but ok) if they are around the $25 price point for intro products.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pleasantly surprised. Decent curve, acceptable ramp. Some respectable cheap format staples (including actual good interaction!).

I dig it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Toshimo posted:

These are actually kinda ok (not great, but ok) if they are around the $25 price point for intro products.

Yeah, if these are priced at $18-20 like the 2020/21 precons, then they're great. If they're $45, then lol lmao

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Citadel Hierophant is a pretty surprising reprint.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Silhouette posted:

Yeah, if these are priced at $18-20 like the 2020/21 precons, then they're great. If they're $45, then lol lmao

There's a link in the article to the Amazon listing of all 5 for ~120 usd, seems like it should be around 25 each.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL there isn’t a really a point to posting this other than ruffle some feathers but I’ve been chatting with Son Rebel about making content this morning in DMs and she just admitted that the ONLY YouTube content she really even watches anymore is Rudy from Alpha Investments.

Do withst that what you will, ha ha

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 21, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL there isn’t a really a point to posting this other than ruffle some feathers but I’ve been chatting with Son Rebel about making content this morning in DMs and she just admitted that the ONLY YouTube content she really even watches anymore is Randy from Alpha Investments.

Do withst that what you will, ha ha

Is that the dude that blind buys card lots?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ub zombies not having stitchers supplier should be tried as a war crime. Might as well make a starter product that doesn't have cards if they're not actually a starting point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is that the dude that blind buys card lots?

No he’s a distributor who makes very frank videos about the state of MtG finance and whether or not products are holding, sliding, dying, etc.

A lot of people really really hate Rudy and are convinced he’s a big scam artists fleecing his patrons, but literally everyone I know who is a patron says he’s made them money, including me, and Rebel. I’m not a patron, but she is.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 21, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bust Rodd posted:

she just admitted that the ONLY YouTube content she really even watches anymore is Randy from Alpha Investments.

Isn't it Rudy? Or is there a second guy? I never got into the secondary market media.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MTG 'investment' is like the easiest thing in the world. There's constantly posters here who casually predict that stuff just in the middle of a pathetic shitpost mocking someone for liking a thing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Magnetic North posted:

Isn't it Rudy? Or is there a second guy? I never got into the secondary market media.

LoL whoops, yeah, I knew it was one of those weird “child’s names” that don’t really fit a grown man.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bust Rodd posted:

No he’s a distributor who makes very frank videos about the state of MtG finance and whether or not products are holding, sliding, dying, etc.

A lot of people really really hate Rudy and are convinced he’s a big scam artists fleecing his patrons, but literally everyone I know who is a patron says he’s made them money, including me, and Rebel. I’m not a patron, but she is.

I dont think he's a scammer but he'll pretend to be a bit obtuse on certain market factors to fit the overall content creator narrative.

"Folks, people are unhappy with DU, the price of singles are tanking, the product is great but there's no money to be made same as every set in the last 3 years. Must be the economy.

Anyway on to DU collectors box opening #48"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL whoops, yeah, I knew it was one of those weird “child’s names” that don’t really fit a grown man.

Wow, Rodney from Alpha Investments did not deserve to be bodied like that.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Batterypowered7 posted:

Wow, Rodney from Alpha Investments did not deserve to be bodied like that.

No respect at all

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I don’t know enough to judge his financial advice one way or the other. I just find him really annoying.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I asked about making custom tokens in the main magic thread and they initially blew a gasket because I used the phrase "proxy tokens", but after reading through the thread is the mpc site good for smaller orders? I want to make funny custom pilot tokens out of stuff my friends made in Photoshop for me, with stupid memes from Gundam and Eva

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Citadel Hierophant is a pretty surprising reprint.

Legit thought it was on the RL when I first looked at it: "Really, a rare from Urza's Saga that hadn't before been reprinted?"

I then realized that RL determinations for the Urza's block era were a bit weird, and that I don't care enough to learn about print sheet frequency to memorize which rares are reserved and which are not.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I asked about making custom tokens in the main magic thread and they initially blew a gasket because I used the phrase "proxy tokens", but after reading through the thread is the mpc site good for smaller orders? I want to make funny custom pilot tokens out of stuff my friends made in Photoshop for me, with stupid memes from Gundam and Eva

You can do smaller orders the cost per card just goes up and shipping is the same. It’s still very reasonable per card.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Ub zombies not having stitchers supplier should be tried as a war crime. Might as well make a starter product that doesn't have cards if they're not actually a starting point.

It's an uncommon, Michael. What could it cost, ten dollars?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Trying to do a dumb Jodah + pile of leftover legendaries deck, but not sure how to a mana base for 5c deck.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Trying to do a dumb Jodah + pile of leftover legendaries deck, but not sure how to a mana base for 5c deck.

Ignore mana symbols on cards and just chuck ten fetches, ten shocks, ten ABUR duals, and six 5C lands in there.

E:

I'm not being serious.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

That's exactly how you build a 5c mana base. Command Tower, City of Brass, Mana Confluence, Reflecting Pool, Tarnished Citadel, then maybe a basic or two to let you sneak past Blood Moon

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Ignore mana symbols on cards and just chuck ten fetches, ten shocks, ten ABUR duals, and six 5C lands in there.

E:

I'm not being serious.

This but unironically. Triomes instead of Shocks though (and also proxy where needed).

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Do not put in triomes over shocks. Triomes are much, much worse than shocks by the simple value of being etbt lands.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

berenzen posted:

Do not put in triomes over shocks. Triomes are much, much worse than shocks by the simple value of being etbt lands.

I think the current wisdom is now: no etbt lands ever unless it's a budget, since there are now enough or nearly enough to populate and the hit from getting a etbt land at the wrong time is too great. And even for a budget deck, I got away with Lantern Lit Graveyard and Cinder Marsh, though that was in 2 color.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Actually, since I was dumb enough to get the Junji Ito secret lair, I’m gonna make a Junji Ito themed deck. A deck that uses all four cards from the secret lair. I could use Junji the Midnight Sky as my commander. If I want to go full effort for this I can make proxies that use Junji Ito art.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Magnetic North posted:

I think the current wisdom is now: no etbt lands ever unless it's a budget, since there are now enough or nearly enough to populate and the hit from getting a etbt land at the wrong time is too great. And even for a budget deck, I got away with Lantern Lit Graveyard and Cinder Marsh, though that was in 2 color.

Yeah. Most of my decks are budget conscious and I don't bother proxying unless it's to use more copies of a card I have committed to other decks. But even so, I've gotten to a point where I don't need to run things like Temples or Triomes. Shocks and painlands and fastlands and slowlands and filterlands etc etc are all available and affordable enough now that it's reasonable to stock up and make even casual games consistently a turn or two faster.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The big question is how to use Doomsday in mono black.

Or maybe I choose a better Commander despite losing the fun name link.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The most satisfying thing in Commander deckbuilding is actually perfecting and tuning a mana base to accurately reflect the real needs of a decks mana base instead of just taking ABURs, Shocks, and fetches and calling it a day.

“Oh actually all my Rakdos cards and my Gruul cards curve out like this so I actually need more Golgari lands and I can cut down on Gruul resources…” that sort of fine-grain deck tuning really gets me rip-roaring to play!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

That's exactly how you build a 5c mana base. Command Tower, City of Brass, Mana Confluence, Reflecting Pool, Tarnished Citadel, then maybe a basic or two to let you sneak past Blood Moon

Question, will Prismatic Omen get around Blood Moon if it's put out on the field first, or after Blood Moon has been put out?

Magnetic North posted:

See I'm working on making the Carthalion precon work, and I don't see a big deal in tapped lands as long as I have either Tiller Engine, or Amulet of Vigor, or the Tortise guy that comes with the deck already out and their just doing their thing making my tapped lands be normal untapped lands.

Like right now I'm just figuring out which of the DU common dual lands I'll need more to put into the deck while also shaving down the WHOPPING 38 lands from that deck. Whittling down spells, creatures, and some artifacts wasn't the issue. It's what lands do I cut? I like the idea of the slow fetches since the DU lands are also classified as basics. More so if I have stuff that's going to make them untap as soon as they come on the board to keep up with everyone else.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 22, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure whichever is the most recent spell is the one whose effect matters-- the second would override the first.

I think?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Newest effect always wins when two cards are trying to change the same thing in the same layer.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Thanks for the clarification.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'm not even sure if the effects interact in the layers hierarchy. It very well might be that your lands are all basic mountains from Blood Moon, and also have all land types and can tap for any color

edit: Reading the rulings on layers and Blood Moon, it looks like it is timestamp dependent, so whichever card is played second prevails, but originally basic lands will still be able to tap for any color regardless of timestamp order; Prismatic Omen doesn't make lands nonbasic on its own.

Framboise posted:

Pretty sure whichever is the most recent spell is the one whose effect matters-- the second would override the first.

I think?
That's the way it works when effects are in the same layer, and most of the time. When you have things that apply in different layers, you do them in layer order regardless of timestamp, and you never undo a previous layer's interactions in a later step. It's how you have to resolve Opalescence + Humility, for instance.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
ATTN!

https://twitter.com/chistylegaming/status/1583732944610668545?s=46&t=Au81DC7vo6C_MJePhJcgJQ