Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Endless Mike posted:

How does dual SIMs work in practice? We're going to Italy next week and I intend to get a local data-only eSIM. I'll still be able to send and receive iMessages since it'll be over data, just not my US data, correct?

i've got 3 eSIMs from carrier hopping a few times in the past year. in addition to being able to pick which one you want for calls and which one for data, you can also switch them on or off completely. only one of them is active for me now. theoretically i could turn the others on again if i still had a plan. i'll take a screenshot of what the cellular settings look like for me with the 3 eSIMs so you know what to expect. the names "personal", "primary", and "secondary" don't mean anything, they're just what i picked from a list as a unique name.

if your domestic plan uses an eSIM and you don't want international fees, i'd switch it off when you get on the plane so it never has a chance to do anything when you're out of the country. and if it's a physical sim, just take it out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

How does dual SIMs work in practice? We're going to Italy next week and I intend to get a local data-only eSIM. I'll still be able to send and receive iMessages since it'll be over data, just not my US data, correct?

That's what I did on a recent work trip, just turned off data on my Verizon line and added an eSIM from Airalo. Most of my time I was on wifi but some usage off wifi; used iMessage and pretty sure I actually texted and I didn't trigger Travel Pass. (It's possible that they went out via Wifi Calling which might be why it didn't trigger.)

D-Tron
Jul 3, 2007

1999 was a hard time
to be a scrub

Yam Slacker
Chiming in on face id chat as a recently converted android user, went with a 14 pro coming from a series of pixel/nexus phones over the past several years (nexus 6p/pixel 2 xl/pixel 5). For me it's been so much better, I know it's subjective and most people don't have this problem but the fingerprint reader was always dogshit ever since the 6p. Even registering the same finger multiple times it would eventually start failing within a week, and would have trouble getting a fingerprint to register at all in the winter and that would start failing within hours if I could manage it. This was consistent across every google phone. Having to type in my full password for 1password every login was so cumbersome, so glad to finally have a reliable biometric. So far iphone rules and glad I made the switch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

As I’m sure you know, Verizon roaming is $10 a day, and is triggered by an outgoing text message, any incoming or outgoing call, or data usage. You *should* get notified of you trigger that. Which , honestly will tell you if you need to tweak a setting or whether it is working correctly or not.

Does Verizon still have that ridiculous 500mb data cap for international roaming?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Does Verizon still have that ridiculous 500mb data cap for international roaming?

Oh absolutely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kalman posted:

That's what I did on a recent work trip, just turned off data on my Verizon line and added an eSIM from Airalo. Most of my time I was on wifi but some usage off wifi; used iMessage and pretty sure I actually texted and I didn't trigger Travel Pass. (It's possible that they went out via Wifi Calling which might be why it didn't trigger.)
Cool, this was my plan for the trip, right down to adding the eSIM in Airalo. Wife and I both have iPhones and figured iMessage and FaceTime Audio would be good enough for if we get split up.

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh absolutely.
Yeah, this is why I don't care to use Verizon. $16 for 10 GB through Airalo or $100 for half that? No contest there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Cool, this was my plan for the trip, right down to adding the eSIM in Airalo. Wife and I both have iPhones and figured iMessage and FaceTime Audio would be good enough for if we get split up.

Yeah, this is why I don't care to use Verizon. $16 for 10 GB through Airalo or $100 for half that? No contest there.

Oh yeah, the roaming rates are very stupid.

They (of course) have never said what they are actually are charged roaming rate wise. It’s obviously not $10 a day, but man I have always been curious to know what US carriers are actually charged for roaming rates, which of course would tell you how much they overcharge for it.

I don’t work in international, but I occasionally provision or explain it, and man, it’s amazing how many people in the US both just don’t get the concept of a local number in said country, and also just won’t go through the “hassle” of checking. US carriers have people here trained very well to just accept and not research IMO.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The carriers are also working with a third party for those international services so the margins may not be as lofty as it might seem. I actually know someone that was the product owner for launching that feature with a carrier and now I wish I paid more attention to the financials.

We went to France in 2019 and used one of those eSim broker sites and god drat was it easy and we got like a week of 2gb for $5 which we only needed for google maps. I think getting a travel Sim with Orange would have been ~$30 for less data. (Could be wrong, fuzzy memory)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Dave posted:

The carriers are also working with a third party for those international services so the margins may not be as lofty as it might seem. I actually know someone that was the product owner for launching that feature with a carrier and now I wish I paid more attention to the financials.

I don't get why e.g. Vodafone isn't using it as some kid of point of differentiation.

Oh well, with eSIMs and iMessage it's slowly getting easier. Still kind of a pain.
(I feel like IOS16 is trying to get you to initiate conversations to people's iCloud email address over phone.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh yeah, the roaming rates are very stupid.

They (of course) have never said what they are actually are charged roaming rate wise. It’s obviously not $10 a day, but man I have always been curious to know what US carriers are actually charged for roaming rates, which of course would tell you how much they overcharge for it.

I don’t work in international, but I occasionally provision or explain it, and man, it’s amazing how many people in the US both just don’t get the concept of a local number in said country, and also just won’t go through the “hassle” of checking. US carriers have people here trained very well to just accept and not research IMO.

Verizon? Sure they tell you

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Verizon? Sure they tell you

Right, but the question is is that what the local Italian provider is actually charging Verizon those rates.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

two-a dollars and-a five-a cents 🤌

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Weedle posted:

two-a dollars and-a five-a cents 🤌

the sound you make when you get your international data bill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iZsz0K_OxA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just end up paying the $10 a day.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Lol what then hell, my Siri is back to normal after over a week of not working after the update.wonder if it’s some background process that fixed it…

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Last I checked before just going T-Mobile: Switching to a local phone number breaks iMessage sometimes, can disrupt 2FA at exactly the moment you are most likely to be asked since you are suspiciously logging into your bank from a different country, and prevents easy access to things like voicemail.

Maybe things are better with dual sim?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

Last I checked before just going T-Mobile: Switching to a local phone number breaks iMessage sometimes, can disrupt 2FA at exactly the moment you are most likely to be asked since you are suspiciously logging into your bank from a different country, and prevents easy access to things like voicemail.

Maybe things are better with dual sim?

? People do not have this issue, with the exception of voicemails, last i checked. Like, once a number ports, no issues. In the US at least.

Voicemails are on the carrier side, so you could lose voicemails.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Not porting a number, pulling out your home country SIM and using a native country SIM for the duration of your holiday.

I don't know if things are better now but in 2019 it was a pain.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yeah, we’re talking about.

Duckman2008 posted:

Last I checked, the hassle was considerable. But I haven’t needed to think about it for a few years so maybe it’s all good now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

~Coxy posted:

Not porting a number, pulling out your home country SIM and using a native country SIM for the duration of your holiday.

I don't know if things are better now but in 2019 it was a pain.

Oh yeah, this is a whole different ballgame. Sucks , because really the answers are 1. Get google voice (if you are based in the US) or 2. Just pay roaming charges and turn on said SIM once or twice a week.

doingitwrong posted:

Yeah, we’re talking about.

Last I checked, the hassle was considerable. But I haven’t needed to think about it for a few years so maybe it’s all good now.

Yeah, porting between carriers is *mostly* a lot easier than it was even a year ago. There can be some issues or delays porting from prepaid.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

I just end up paying the $10 a day.

Yeah for us this was a low enough barrier on an overseas vacation that is already going to be expensive. In the olden days when there was no reasonable plan available, we were more willing to jump through the hoops to get a local SIM (or just didn’t use data at all.)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Just pulled the trigger on 14 Pluses for my mom and her husband to replace their Pixel 3As. I’m hoping the camera doesn’t disappoint her, she fell in love with the Pixel’s camera

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Just pulled the trigger on 14 Pluses for my mom and her husband to replace their Pixel 3As. I’m hoping the camera doesn’t disappoint her, she fell in love with the Pixel’s camera

It feels like the cameras are too wide angle for me, you have "wide" and "insanely wide" for options. But the image quality is nice.. for 12mp.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

regular and telephoto would be a lot more useful but they gotta get people to buy the pro somehow

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Weedle posted:

regular and telephoto would be a lot more useful but they gotta get people to buy the pro somehow

Nah, amateur instagrammers need the wide angle for macro food shots

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Nah, amateur instagrammers need the wide angle for macro food shots

Wide angle is the regular camera ?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Wide angle is the regular camera ?

Ultrawide. You know what i mean though. :colbert:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mister Facetious posted:

Ultrawide. You know what i mean though. :colbert:

Lol wasn’t trying to be a jerk, I legit misread it , but it’s been a long week.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol wasn’t trying to be a jerk, I legit misread it , but it’s been a long week.

Tell me about it :hfive:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've never seen this ad before or I completely forgot about it.

https://twitter.com/9to5mac/status/1584263910663651330?s=46&t=Sav62sbVDEz0x3hwdUu-ug

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That just makes me sad that we never got a second Propellerheads album.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My daughter has a hand-me down iPhone 7plus and is getting an hour and a half of battery life. Is that typical for that old of a phone running the latest iOS? I don’t mind paying $50 for a replacement if it would actually help. Her battery health indicator is 85% so I assumed it’s ok, although it was 97% 5 months ago

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

WhyteRyce posted:

My daughter has a hand-me down iPhone 7plus and is getting an hour and a half of battery life. Is that typical for that old of a phone running the latest iOS? I don’t mind paying $50 for a replacement if it would actually help. Her battery health indicator is 85% so I assumed it’s ok, although it was 97% 5 months ago

iPhone 7 is an ancient device bordering on unsupported by Apple, throw $50 at a battery if you want, it will at least improve the life back to near normal. If it’s not an Apple battery though it may burn your house down while you’re sleeping :shrug:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Inner Light posted:

iPhone 7 is an ancient device bordering on unsupported by Apple, throw $50 at a battery if you want, it will at least improve the life back to near normal. If it’s not an Apple battery though it may burn your house down while you’re sleeping :shrug:

$50 is the estimated cost Apple quotes me online. Phone works fine otherwise, she’s not complaining about performance and the only issue she has with it is battery life. I wanted her using the cheapest device possible, although with iOS support ending I may just have to suck it up and get her something more expensive

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d just pay the $50 then.

She’ll probably get the $50 use out of it before you are forced to upgrade.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Battery Capacity % is a really weird number, 85% doesn't mean that it lasts 85% as long as a new one would. 85% is basically dead.
I would replace the battery.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If she is getting 1.5 hours battery life on 85% health, replacing the battery might not especially matter.

What’s burning her battery according to battery activity? Is she playing games? Pokémon Go? Lots of video? Is it charging fully? 1.5 hours is very few hours.

The OS should not be killing the battery that fast.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Technically it will continue to get security updates for a time, which is the real concern. Most apps target a lower iOS version than current.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
As an update to my "considering trying an iphone", I ordered a 14 pro 512GB in black (using my partner's XR in the meantime) over a week ago and apparently I'm at the mercy of customs/imports or whatever. Not how I envisioned the purchasing process of a $1400 phone thus far, I guess I need to pay better attention to the order screen, I absolutely don't need the 512GB, probably should have just got 256 or 128 and had it here way earlier.

When I ordered my partner's 14 (non-pro) is came the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just wanna say that the rotating wallpapers feature is easily my favorite iPhone feature of all
time. It somehow manages to auto-select all the good photos and crop them perfectly. I’ve had so many opportunities to reminisce about vacations, people and pets as my iPhone cycles through them. So happy about it.