Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

FilthyImp posted:

They will absolutely can him if his sponsors recoil. That's how the others got got

Their entire evening pundit lineup has already gone through several rounds of boycotts and dropped sponsors. Even if they lost every single one it wouldn't matter, Fox would still be profitable just off of cable carriage fees alone.

Bill O'Reilly only got fired because of multiple sexual harassment complaints despite being their #1 guy for 10 years. But his entire staff stayed and just switched to writing lines for a different talking head, and overnight Tucker's 15 years of career failures came to an end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Lawdog69 posted:

Shocked that there is even a level that you can go to that gets you cancelled by Newsmaxx.

The Republican mainstream is hilariously disconnected from reality. My CHUD relatives have gotten progressively more insane as the party lurches into QAnon territory and it is… pretty hosed up honestly. Like, I feel like they are pretty typical rural white idiots (college educated even, so probably a cut above), so as they are getting onboard with “Dems literally r drinking baby blood” I’m getting scared. Not really looking forward to sharing a country with these maniacs.

Which state/city is this (so I can avoid it lol)?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lawdog69 posted:

Shocked that there is even a level that you can go to that gets you cancelled by Newsmaxx.

The Republican mainstream is hilariously disconnected from reality. My CHUD relatives have gotten progressively more insane as the party lurches into QAnon territory and it is… pretty hosed up honestly. Like, I feel like they are pretty typical rural white idiots (college educated even, so probably a cut above), so as they are getting onboard with “Dems literally r drinking baby blood” I’m getting scared. Not really looking forward to sharing a country with these maniacs.

It's really something. The most troubling thing to me is how much I hear all that poo poo parroted in casual conversation. It's witnessing the effects of advertising in real time. I don't know why people think that corporate sponsored talk radio shows on blowtorch stations are the ones really telling them the truth that no one else has the balls to say. Not saying that CNN or MSNBC, etc aren't corporate news but RWM consumers seem to think they're getting the real dirt that honest journalism simply refuses to cover.

Like it's some kind of underground radio or something that no one can listen to.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
RNC mad because Google keeps sending their emails that beg for money to users spam folder.
So decided to sue them.
Google pretty much stating that its because users mark it as spam.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/republican-national-committee-sues-google-over-email-spam-filters-2022-10-22/

https://twitter.com/dannowicki/status/1583851613147365379

“Enough is enough – we are suing Google for their blatant bias against Republicans," said RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel in a statement to The Associated Press. “For ten months in a row, Google has sent crucial end-of-month Republican GOTV and fundraising emails to spam with zero explanation. We are committed to putting an end to this clear pattern of bias."

Google, in a statement, denied the charges. “As we have repeatedly said, we simply don’t filter emails based on political affiliation. Gmail’s spam filters reflect users’ actions," said spokesperson José Castañeda, adding that the company provides training and guidelines to campaigns and works to "maximize email deliverability while minimizing unwanted spam."

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure the big ones left years ago, didn't they?

Mainstream sponsors have bailed on right-wing pundits in the past and then quietly gone back after people's attention has moved onto the next outrage

Those that have left for good get replaced with sponsors that do not care, of which there are plenty. More recently, with states passing anti-lgbtq+ or anti-abortion laws, companies haven't even bothered to threaten or do more than make the blandest statements of support for those harmed before doing nothing at all.

Also, the right wing has excellent astroturfed "grass-roots" efforts to do things like have people call up cable + satellite service providers and demand a specific channel be carried, then the company that owns that channel gets a cut of people paying for the service.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

je1 healthcare posted:

Their entire evening pundit lineup has already gone through several rounds of boycotts and dropped sponsors. Even if they lost every single one it wouldn't matter, Fox would still be profitable just off of cable carriage fees alone.

Bill O'Reilly only got fired because of multiple sexual harassment complaints despite being their #1 guy for 10 years. But his entire staff stayed and just switched to writing lines for a different talking head, and overnight Tucker's 15 years of career failures came to an end.

This is the point to always bear in mind. Fox doesn't need advertisers.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

OgNar posted:

RNC mad because Google keeps sending their emails that beg for money to users spam folder.
So decided to sue them.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/republican-national-committee-sues-google-over-email-spam-filters-2022-10-22/

“Enough is enough – we are suing Google for their blatant bias against Republicans," said RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel in a statement to The Associated Press. “For ten months in a row, Google has sent crucial end-of-month Republican GOTV and fundraising emails to spam with zero explanation. We are committed to putting an end to this clear pattern of bias."

Google, in a statement, denied the charges. “As we have repeatedly said, we simply don’t filter emails based on political affiliation. Gmail’s spam filters reflect users’ actions," said spokesperson José Castañeda, adding that the company provides training and guidelines to campaigns and works to "maximize email deliverability while minimizing unwanted spam."

This is the funniest thing I've heard in ages. I work for a very very non-Republican nonprofit, and we get the same thing... because, no matter how much I try to get them to stop, my bosses insist on treating email like WWII propaganda flyers, to dropped by the millions without segmenting or specific direction. Or convince them that Google pays attention to what people open or not, and sending the same message over and over and over to people who aren't opening them is actually very bad and not some brilliant strategy.

:sigh:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

OgNar posted:

So decided to sue them.

It’s a toddler mindset top to bottom. I demand to do whatever I want, whenever I want, everyone has to give me the attention I want, but only me.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

After The War posted:

This is the funniest thing I've heard in ages. I work for a very very non-Republican nonprofit, and we get the same thing... because, no matter how much I try to get them to stop, my bosses insist on treating email like WWII propaganda flyers, to dropped by the millions without segmenting or specific direction. Or convince them that Google pays attention to what people open or not, and sending the same message over and over and over to people who aren't opening them is actually very bad and not some brilliant strategy.

I worked in marketing in a B2C industry that regularly sent emails to millions of potential customers, and the email we sent with the highest open rate and click through of all time was sent (accidentally) with the subject message TERRY TEST EMAIL-CONTENT BLOCK DYNAMIC EXAMPLE. We blew away our planned, carefully curated messaging and a:b tested material by like, double digit percentages.

The tired, carefully crafted poo poo CEOs and marketing VPs insist on is just risk-averse planning to fail. The vast majority of recipients of these emails were high schoolers so naturally we made a big case with a PowerPoint deck and everything showing examples, statistics, and a ton of other stuff to…maybe include an emoji in a subject line. It was not approved.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I would love to see some data on who exactly all these people are that open obvious spam email or watch online ads. I've been using ad blockers and spam filters for over a decade, I cannot comprehend how these people go through life in the year 2022.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Politics makes for strange bedfellows. Remember when the right thought Muslims were bad for mutilating their daughters, making women wear burqas and sharia law? Apparently they're cool now because Muslim parents are critical of LGBT books and leftists are attacking them for it.
https://twitter.com/SameeraKhan/status/1582025302511063040?t=zPJW9mFhgnIGi4UWEjWNGw&s=19

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The only issue right wingers really had with that stuff is that is was in the name of the wrong religion. If those had been Christian’s doing it the right would’ve been cheering and demanding we follow their example

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Mustang posted:

I would love to see some data on who exactly all these people are that open obvious spam email or watch online ads. I've been using ad blockers and spam filters for over a decade, I cannot comprehend how these people go through life in the year 2022.

My 85 year old dad. I only stopped him from getting phished last week because he asked me what prize I wanted after he filled out a verizon survey. He just can't wrap his head around someone writing a letter to him that is straight up lies.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The only issue right wingers really had with that stuff is that is was in the name of the wrong religion. If those had been Christian’s doing it the right would’ve been cheering and demanding we follow their example

As shown by Alabama(?) creating a Christian Police force or something

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Deptfordx posted:

Yet another good reason to drop cable. Don't support Fox

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Panfilo posted:

Politics makes for strange bedfellows. Remember when the right thought Muslims were bad for mutilating their daughters, making women wear burqas and sharia law? Apparently they're cool now because Muslim parents are critical of LGBT books and leftists are attacking them for it.
https://twitter.com/SameeraKhan/status/1582025302511063040?t=zPJW9mFhgnIGi4UWEjWNGw&s=19

If it hadn't been for 9-11, I truly feel Republicans would have all the conservative muslims. They're natural bed fellows.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jesus III posted:

If it hadn't been for 9-11, I truly feel Republicans would have all the conservative muslims. They're natural bed fellows.

Nope, sorry. Different language, weird food, and worst of all: too brown.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jesus III posted:

Prior to 9-11, they were indeed making considerable headway with Muslims/middle easterners despite the religious difference. Funny how a decades-long pseudocrusade marked by racial and religious animus will change things!

Scholtz posted:

Believe it or not, pre-9-11 conservatives more often saw them as "one of the good: brown people, not the least as many middle easterners are fairly light-skinned (another mark of the deep sophistication that is conservative thought).

America before 9-11 was a really different place, having lived in both. :smith:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

But how else would we know about gold and all the modern advances in pillow technology?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Hell, Fox ran Glenn Beck's show completely ad free for its final thee months before they fired him, literally filling his ad breaks with local weather reports and in-house promos for other FNC shows and they were cool with riding it out forever if need be, and only finally swung the axe on him because he keep going too crazy for them at the time. It's only in hindsight that we now realize that Beck's theatrics and rhetoric would only be a 6 out of 10 on the bonkers scale if played on TV now-a-days.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Network was so drat prophetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXIWkSbcWso

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So when they say, “sexually explicit textbooks” what do they actually mean? Anatomy texts?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Believe it or not, pre-9-11 conservatives more often saw them as "one of the good: brown people, not the least as many middle easterners are fairly light-skinned (another mark of the deep sophistication that is conservative thought).

America before 9-11 was a really different place, having lived in both. :smith:

I was a preteen when 9-11 happened, and I moved to Michigan (30 minutes outside of Dearborn) in August 2001 so my perception of how middle easterners were treated post 9-11 is probably a little skewed. Lots of kids getting bullied & ostracized for no reason.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Scholtz posted:

Republicans managed to get over all of that for Latinos once they clicked to the fact that there was a vast pool of underserved bigoted religious Latino voters they could court and lock in reliably in various war. I'm sure there was common ground that could have been found there too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Murgos posted:

So when they say, “sexually explicit textbooks” what do they actually mean? Anatomy texts?
Anything they don’t like

Especially if it acknowledges the existence of gays

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

nine-gear crow posted:

Republicans managed to get over all of that for Latinos once they clicked to the fact that there was a vast pool of underserved bigoted religious Latino voters they could court and lock in reliably in various war. I'm sure there was common ground that could have been found there too.

I don't know how much of this is explicit strategy. It's only really since the 2020 presidential cycle that Republicans started to run Spanish language ads routinely.

What seems to have happened is that there are now enough older Latinos who don't care that much about immigration -or- simply believe the same things white GOP voters do to put together a sizable voting block. It feels like they slept walked their way into it, and only noticed since Dobbs that it could help shore up their shrinking base.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Right wing media is doing a lot of lying in claiming that legal immigrants are actually illegal, and there are enough Latinos who are well off or got a lucky break in the system who have the mindset of "I came here legally, these other immigrants should too!" that they're going to fall for the GOP's bullshit "We're totally supportive of legal immigration" lies.

It also doesn't help that Dems don't have a significantly different policy on immigration than the Republicans do. The best they can muster is "Look, now the concentration camps are air conditioned!"

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I found a flyer for Greg Abbot today. I picked up poo poo from the sidewalk with it

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

freeedr posted:

I found a flyer for Greg Abbot today. I picked up poo poo from the sidewalk with it

Wow, what did that poo poo do to deserve such awful treatment?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

Wow, what did that poo poo do to deserve such awful treatment?

Be a terrible governor

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

freeedr posted:

Be a terrible governor

:thejoke:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:wrong:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

WEll I'll be damned. There's Michael Moore!

Being wrong IMO.

quote:

‘I’m deadly serious’: why filmmaker Michael Moore is confident of a Democratic midterm win

https://news.yahoo.com/m-deadly-serious-why-filmmaker-070031348.html

For the past month, Academy Award-winning documentary maker Michael Moore has been emailing out a daily missive “Mike’s Midterm Tsunami of Truth” on why he believes Democrats will win big in America’s midterm elections next month.

Moore calls it “a brief honest daily dose of the truth – and the real optimism these truths offer us”. It also – at this moment in time – flies in the face of most political punditry, which sees a Republican win on the cards.

“The effect of this kind of reporting can be jarring – it can get inside the average American’s head and scramble it,” Moore wrote. “You can start to feel deflated. You want to quit. You start believing that we liberals are a bunch of losers. And by thinking of ourselves this way, if you’re not careful, you begin to manifest the old narrative into existence.”

Reached by telephone last week, Moore, 68, told the Guardian that his purpose, in effect, is to puncture herd-thinking. He points to three recent examples where political norms were wrongly interpreted.

“If I said to you six months ago, ‘you know Kansas, right? It’s a huge pro-abortion state and this summer by a margin of 60% they’re going to keep abortion legal’ you’d think I had made a crazy statement,” he says.

“If I’d told you at the same time that in the congressional election in Alaska, a hard red state, that it’s not only not going to be won by a Democrat but a Native Alaskan Democrat, again you’d have to question if I was out of my mind.”

That's all well and good but we have a real forest/trees thing here.

Democrats are going to get crushed. I have little doubt.

For whatever anecdotal evidence is worth, the RWM machine is succeeding yet again in framing the debate and disseminating talking points among the populace in ways that catch on and dominate the discourse. I know my experience is somewhat clouded and biased based on where I live but nobody...and I mean NOBODY I listen to or know is talking about anything other than barely being able to afford to live from week to week. No Roe v Wade, no climate change talk, no Ukraine war, no LBGT rights, no BLM, no weed legalization...no UHC, schools and their issues, guns and mass shootings or even really immigration (which is odd to me).

"It's the economy stupid" and people, rightfully or not, are blaming Biden and the democrats. Things are Not Good, everyone feels pinched, bled out, desperate and don't care what talking heads and "experts" have to say about the strict definition of a recession. None of them believe that this administration or the government in general is going to a loving thing about any of it either. And they're not wrong. A real shame that Biden waited until 3 months before the mid terms to grow some loving fangs. You'd think he'd know better having served with Obama for 8 years what the GOP is but he wasted 3 years trying to work across the aisle.

I can't remember the last time I was this unenthusiastic to vote. I really can't.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Yeah I think Moore is reading too much into those two events. There's still a couple of weeks left, and the Dems have been dropping in the polls pretty hard lately. Especially with the economy continuing to get worse, and the overturn of Roe being further in the past, the situation isn't quite the same as it was when those things happened.

If overturning Roe had happened closer to the midterms I think the Dems would have won easily (at least the Senate) but the average person isn't as affected by that as they are by rising gas/food prices, and it's easiest to blame the party that's in control of Congress and the Presidency (and to be fair, they aren't entirely wrong in blaming them, either). Plus, as you said, right wing media is leading the charge on framing the issues in this election, and "Gas/food prices and rising crime" are the two biggest successes in their messaging, I feel.

I also saw an article (I have no idea how true it is, but if it is true it would be another reason showing how stupid this idea was in the first place) that claimed that due to Dems funneling a ton of money into support for the most extremist GOP candidates in hopes of an easy win, that they lack the funding to run ads in more competitive races.

BiggerBoat posted:

A real shame that Biden waited until 3 months before the mid terms to grow some loving fangs. You'd think he'd know better having served with Obama for 8 years what the GOP is but he wasted 3 years trying to work across the aisle.

I can't say for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if what Joe took away from the Obama presidency is "The GOP isn't willing to work with a black man, and Barack also talked a lot about change. But since I'm a white guy like them and I straight up said nothing will fundamentally change, they'll definitely be willing to work with me."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I can't say for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if what Joe took away from the Obama presidency is "The GOP isn't willing to work with a black man, and Barack also talked a lot about change. But since I'm a white guy like them and I straight up said nothing will fundamentally change, they'll definitely be willing to work with me."

So many things that Obama pushed to get passed were Republican ideas that, for some strange reason, became dirty socialism when he asked them to vote in favor of their own previous legislative initiatives.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The big problem is that the Democrats really aren't willing to change any of the systemic problems that are hurting people in their pocketbooks. The leadership obviously does not care or there would be a lot more talk of the economy. It might be that they are taking money from the people that benefit from the status quo as it is and changing it would effect them negatively. All of these issues stem from the fact we are in late stage capitalism and without making massive systemic change these problems will not be helped. Incremental change just isn't enough for the people that make median income and below. Secondly, we have a farther rightwing party that is hellbent on destroying any of the gains that have been made such as public education, USPS, ACA (which I know isn't really that big a gain) and using their media to convince the very people these programs help that they are somehow hurt by them.

I personally don't really know what the real answer for the dems is. They would need to completely course correct and I don't see them doing that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

After The War posted:

I was stupid enough to donate via ActBlue once and now I get spam emails from basically every new Democratic campaign to ever exist. I just blackhole them all to spam with automatic filters now.

Murgos posted:

Young adult fiction where bodily functions get mentioned and two people of the same gender make out once or twice.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It probably includes Judy Blume novels where a kid learns how to use a tampon. Anything that encourages autonomy or happiness to children is a threat to them.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

I AM GRANDO posted:

It probably includes Judy Blume novels where a kid learns how to use a tampon. Anything that encourages autonomy or happiness to children is a threat to them.

Also, there's plenty of fundamental disingenuousness about how it's evil to let children know that sex exists, as if the target demographic is six-year-olds and not horny teenagers who can look up all the porn they want online already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They tend to go for shock value in regards to pointing out books they think should be banned. So it'll be books with somewhat graphic imagery with regards to sexuality that get targeted and the most offensive pages blasted all over Twitter to try to shock and disgust parents that see it.

In some cases, they'll try to sidestep the "banned" label by suggesting that the book can be available for older kids but they don't think it appropriate for younger children.