Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there’s a nonzero chance he saw the energy/ budget shitshow coming and passed the buck

The incredible thing about Truss is that the mini budget was optional, she could have started her leadership by announcing anything but according to her worldview that's the message she wanted to get front and centre right away about how she would lead.

And boy did that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

namesake posted:

The incredible thing about Truss is that the mini budget was optional, she could have started her leadership by announcing anything but according to her worldview that's the message she wanted to get front and centre right away about how she would lead.

And boy did that happen.

that only plays into the theory that this was all just theater for Boris to come back

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that would mean boris' plan was for the succeeding pm to gently caress up badly and then he'd come back and inherit a huge mess he can't fix.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that would mean boris' plan was for the succeeding pm to gently caress up badly and then he'd come back and inherit a huge mess he can't fix.

Regarde Aduck posted:

that only plays into the theory that this was all just theater for Boris to come back

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Every politician in the western world.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe he was just jealous of all the attention the two lizzes were getting

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Worked for Churchill,

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
If the Tory's just needed someone to step up and eat a huge bowl of poo poo, it played out perfectly.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/is-the-tide-going-out-on-boris-johnsons-comeback-x5xb6vj8b

can anyone get past this paywall?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol sure he's 28 votes away from being a nominee that party members will choose in an online vote but the wind is definitely out of his sails

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://archive.ph/2Ydpa

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The ft tracker puts him further than that, are they using delayed or more formal sources? What are you using?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

gonadic io posted:

The ft tracker puts him further than that, are they using delayed or more formal sources? What are you using?

that guido fawkes website

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ty ty ty

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:barf:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Penny Mordaunt remains the only official candidate to declare a run. She pledges to: "Unite the party. Deliver the manifesto. Win the General Election."

Both Sunak and Johnson remain well ahead of Mordaunt in terms of declared supporters (Sunak has 122 Johnson has 53, and Mordaunt has 23 - but this is changing at a rapid pace)

bbc public tally above so far

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It's not, they had Boris at 50 by 2am Friday morn

Quick check says their count is the same as BBC, except Boris has got 20 whips and committee members who apparently aren't allowed to declare (for 73 total)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Love Priti Patel coming out in support of Johnson, superb optics of the former home secretary who was accused of bullying and let off by him, supporting him after he broke the laws it was her job to set and enforce :waycool:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
She's a Tory, yes.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Tory is shorthand for 'sycophant'.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The word Tory originates from an Irish term that was phonetically anglicised.[5][6] Several Irish words have been suggested as the etymological root for the word Tory. The Irish word toruidhe or toruighe, meaning "to pursue" or "to hunt", is suggested as the origin for the term Tory. From the 1500s to 1600s, the term Tory first emerged to refer to the Irish who were dispossessed of their lands and took to the woods, forming themselves into bands that subsisted on wild animals and goods taken from settlers.[5] After these activities were suppressed, the term lost its original signification with English-speakers, and was used to describe "an outlaw papist" or a "robber that is noted for outrages and cruelty".[7][8][9] The Irish peasantry also used the term Tory to refer to an outlaw or a miscreant of any kind into the 19th century.[10]

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

RandolphCarter posted:

BoJo’s bizarre election

also

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

BBC posted:

Here's a rundown of today's key headlines:
  • Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson remain the two frontrunners in the race, but neither the former chancellor nor the former prime minister have officially confirmed they are running
  • The BBC understands that the pair were due to meet this afternoon, but the meeting was pushed back for reasons that are unclear
  • Johnson's supporters have claimed the former PM has the support of 100 Tory MPs
  • But Sunak's backers have cast doubt on those claims, demanding Johnson's camp to publish a list of MPs who are backing him
  • Penny Mordaunt continues to be the only official candidate to declare she's running for the top leadership position
  • Those wishing to throw their names in the hat have until Monday at 14:00 BST to find 100 backers. The general public doesn't have a say on who will become the next Tory leader, but Conservative Party members will (unless MPs unite around just one candidate)
  • Currently 203 out of 357 Tory MPs have gone public with their support.
  • Some 127 MPs are backing Sunak, 53 MPs said they'll support Johnson and a further 23 MPs have pledged their support to Mordaunt. We're running our own tally here.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

its exceedingly funny that nearly no one is backing the one person to have actually announced that they are running

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I mean there's roughly 320 votes, so unless his supporters are saying rishi is going to get over 200, or penny is somehow going to suddenly and massively overtake Boris, it's pretty inevitable

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

for future reference friend just paste the link of any paywalled article into 12ft.io to magically unpaywall it

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Mantis42 posted:

In the future, everyone will be PM for exactly 15 minutes. Except Jeremy Corbyn.

He can run a 15-minute-long shadow cabinet.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

"This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes."
"Woah... those are really big"
"Good news! They are suppositories"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kecske posted:

for future reference friend just paste the link of any paywalled article into 12ft.io to magically unpaywall it

thanks. this is the fourth similar site i've come across today lol. i asked in here because printfriendly.com didn't work

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gonadic io posted:

I mean there's roughly 320 votes, so unless his supporters are saying rishi is going to get over 200, or penny is somehow going to suddenly and massively overtake Boris, it's pretty inevitable
Liz Truss is gonna scoop up the rest.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kecske posted:

I've found that no longer works on most sites I come across, but archive.is/archive.ph usually have a copy or can make one.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

this woman is still in control of the nukes btw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
He's hoping Boris makes him chancellor again so he can make that pesky tax evasion charge go away

https://twitter.com/nadhimzahawi/status/1584099350048694273?t=j-X4Ka6VxY_f4eeqvrSa2g&s=19

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Stepping down for the sake of unity shows that he is the right person to step up and create unity is certainly a logical contortion.

Could it be that Zahawi knows that he's never gonna be chancellor under Sunak?

Powerful Two-Hander has issued a correction as of 11:55 on Oct 23, 2022

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Posting frorm the queue

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/supermathskid/status/1584147070768009216?t=sADz8CfZBa1meOvKf0avMA&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/1583895206075969537

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do they not understand that looking like a pile of ham and straw is the source of his power and charisma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

he looks so fuckin hot