Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I always end up getting my money's worth out of fatshark games. I'm not gonna take a day off for it but I'm certainly not shying away from chucking a pre-order at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Spotlight video for Ogryns showing off more of their weapons. They get the grenade gauntlet holy poo poo I want it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9yRol5UYOY

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Judging from the footage, there may be two versions of the grenadier gauntlet (or perhaps multiple modes of use); we can see it being used as a regular-ol' grenade launcher at range, and as a fist-style melee weapon with some kind of explosive punch move.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ChickenHeart posted:

and as a fist-style melee weapon with some kind of explosive punch move.

:flashfap:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ChaseSP posted:

Spotlight video for Ogryns showing off more of their weapons. They get the grenade gauntlet holy poo poo I want it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9yRol5UYOY

So a handful of the things I spotted:

Mace and shield
Big axe what looks like a comically oversized safety razor
Power or shock Maul
Grenade Fists
Regular rear end grenade launcher
I'm Big time considering maining Ogryn for the release.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ogryn is fun as hell with a lot of knocking stuff down and controlling. He's like Bardin but he's a giant instead of a dwarf and just as great.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Ogryn has the age-old big character problem of being too big in relation to everything else, you have to be looking down constantly

Game needs ratlings

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Ogryn has the age-old big character problem of being too big in relation to everything else, you have to be looking down constantly

Game needs ratlings

Trying to find my teammates to protect them but they are bonking into my knees like toddlers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wheeee posted:

Game needs ratlings

On the other hand your shots go over your tiny human friends' heads.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The size is a feature, my group was frequently yelling to follow the ogryn, rally to the ogryn, etc, since I was so easy to see in the fight :)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I played the poo poo out of Vermintide 1+2 and didn't have much of an issue with either at launch so I've bought this one and expect to play it for 200 hours.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

yeah VT1 & 2 bought them enough good will with me that the beta would've had to have been pretty bad for me to not preorder this

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So long as everyone is going into the game with the knowledge that fatshark will probably fatshark it up and that there will be a none 0% chance that they lose track of what version of the game they are trying to apply fixes to for literal months and that at least half of the traits will be either broken, misleading, incorrect text or all three and they might leave a simple fix unfixed like with #NAME? for months at a time.

Go in knowing that ahead of time and just have fun despite the jank.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So long as everyone is going into the game with the knowledge that fatshark will probably fatshark it up and that there will be a none 0% chance that they lose track of what version of the game they are trying to apply fixes to for literal months and that at least half of the traits will be either broken, misleading, incorrect text or all three and they might leave a simple fix unfixed like with #NAME? for months at a time.

Go in knowing that ahead of time and just have fun despite the jank.

Deogrynize yourself and face to bugshed.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
turbo heckin' honk and bonk.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Grenade Explosion Punch fists.

Holy poo poo this game is gonna rule

I wish we could filter preferences to have ogryn-only squads looooll that would be amazing.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 23, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I wonder if we'll get a meltagun.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I believe in the melta gun and that it will be available to all the people (but not the ogryn, they are blessed by terra but the fine machinations are not great with their fingers)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Arent Melta guns just green flamethrowers? there are green chaos flamers in the game.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No, the melta is a heat ray that punches clean through a tank.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

Arent Melta guns just green flamethrowers? there are green chaos flamers in the game.

Nope. Melta guns are, depending on the fluff, either essentially weaponized microwave ovens or heatlaser throwers.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Meltaguns are what happens if someone looked at a welding torch and said "Yeah but what if it was bigger. No, bigger. No, bigger."

Depending on the depiction they can work more like flamers (which is generally held as incorrect and a mistake) but the intended design is basically you pull the trigger and a column of Hot comes out and goes through tanks and sometimes big dudes.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Grognan posted:

I believe in the melta gun and that it will be available to all the people (but not the ogryn, they are blessed by terra but the fine machinations are not great with their fingers)
They will just get frustrated with how fiddly it is to shoot and use it as an excellent club instead.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Everything's a club if you swing it hard enough.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I think the space marine game had a decent depiction of the melta gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLJ8PhZlso8

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

boredsatellite posted:

I think the space marine game had a decent depiction of the melta gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLJ8PhZlso8

I don't know how lore friendly it was since it acts kind of like a giant heat shotgun instead of a focused beam, but it was indeed *immensely* satisfying to (ab)use.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For what it's worth it works the same in the Ciaphas Cain novels.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I remember their depiction in one of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels being a bit weird, it was basically a continuous stream shooting in a low arc. It's been a literal decade so I might be misremembering.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Azran posted:

I remember their depiction in one of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels being a bit weird, it was basically a continuous stream shooting in a low arc. It's been a literal decade so I might be misremembering.

That honestly sounds more like the original descriptions of them from early 40k as far as I can remember.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
The thing about 40k is every gun is what you want it to be or what you need it to be not. Every so-called discrepancy is actually due to locally manufactured weapon variants and lack of standardization across the wider Imperium. This should be considered a feature, not a bug and is completely different from Making poo poo Up As You Go Along.

Senethro fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 23, 2022

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

I don't know how lore friendly it was since it acts kind of like a giant heat shotgun instead of a focused beam, but it was indeed *immensely* satisfying to (ab)use.

vaporizing orks has never felt better

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Orv posted:

Meltaguns are what happens if someone looked at a welding torch and said "Yeah but what if it was bigger. No, bigger. No, bigger."

Depending on the depiction they can work more like flamers (which is generally held as incorrect and a mistake) but the intended design is basically you pull the trigger and a column of Hot comes out and goes through tanks and sometimes big dudes.

Yeah, there's some inconsistency in how they're portrayed. In some instances it's shown like a coherent beam of some kinda nuclear fusion jet that melts through things at a distance. In others it's a bit more violent like a short-lived conical burst that deletes everything in its path. Basically the main consistent aspects are:
- Works based on pure heat
- Extremely effective against single targets
- Fairly short-ranged, and more effective the closer you are

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I can't believe they still haven't hotfixed that. I just roll my eyes every time I see it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Wheeee posted:

Game needs ratlings

Wouldn't be surprised if we get one down the road, feels like the dialogue brings them up too often for it to just be an Easter Egg, personally I'm hoping for a Mechanicus related character, maybe even one for the new version of the Squats

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah I'd say Ratling and Tech-Priest are maybe the most noticeably absent of the IG archetypes. Other stuff wouldn't really fit the "Inquisitorial dregs" setup (Commissars) or would be a tad redundant (Shock Trooper). Plus Tech-Priest would provide you with access to a lot of cool, bizarre weapons.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Where you've got prisoners, you can have wardens. You could have a Penal Officer class with Commissar as a career.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Senethro posted:

Where you've got prisoners, you can have wardens. You could have a Penal Officer class with Commissar as a career.

Could even make it a Veteran subclass, frankly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Azran posted:

I wonder if we'll get a meltagun.

Yes, it's in concept art.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Weapon I didn't expect: The elysian droptrooper bullpup lasgun. For how neat a concept elysians are they've been mostly a background thought at best this whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Drop troopers are rad and unfortunately due to down = permanent progress I don't think we'll see them =(