Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Deathloop is a good time (cool haptics, too), sorta drops off at the 3/4 mark tho maybe even earlier. Redfall reminds me of the recent Saints Row game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I’ll play the Klonoa collection when it’s on Plus Extra or something. I love BP but I’m not paying £45 for two old platformers. Nintendo barely got me to pay £60 for three!

Yeah, that's fair, not everone is big into platformers. I think the Klonoa games are examples of the genre at its best, speaking of K1's story and K2's gobsmacking level design, but I'm sure a certain amount of my enjoyment comes from revisiting something that meant a lot to me when I was younger, which is also thematically relevant. As far as gamefeel is concerend I don't think K2 has aged a day in 20 years, the soundtrack absolutely owns, and Kingdom of Sorrow is probably the best single level in any platformer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

. Redfall reminds me of the recent Saints Row game.

Oh noooooo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah in not saying deathloop was bad im just saying it was fine and every media outlet misled me on its quality by ranking it higher than games that werent broken at launch with menu bugs, werent half baked mechanically, and werent so relentlessly marketed to be a much more revolutionary experience

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah in not saying deathloop was bad im just saying it was fine and every media outlet misled me on its quality by ranking it higher than games that werent broken at launch with menu bugs, werent half baked mechanically, and werent so relentlessly marketed to be a much more revolutionary experience

yeah but tbf it makes a strong first impression and I think reviewers got MGSV'd by the review process during a particularly weak year when everyone were desperate for new poo poo. the game managed to take design risks and look/feel different than other stuff in its moment which prolly edged the scores up a bit too much. there's no way it's a 10/10 game under any circumstance.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mgsv's review process is loving awesome.
Pre covid remember
Fly all journos to resort hotel and give each one a private gaming immersion booth
18 hour timer on gameplay
Free liquor

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i've seen like 4 separate people outright slander the hd remakes of silent hill, what makes them a lesser option?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bows1 posted:

Just started Requiem and had frame rate drops during the company name intro

Probably loading hitches tbh. It’s not the best first impression, sure, but more than likely doesn’t have anything to do with in game performance.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i've seen like 4 separate people outright slander the hd remakes of silent hill, what makes them a lesser option?

At least for Silent Hill 2, the fog (which is like 95% of its visual identity) was rendered using some weird rear end technique exclusive to the PS2’s hardware, and the HD ports both didn’t have that and had other glitches that weren’t in the original because Konami lost the source code.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They are hosed up
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAy4HivHoT4

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I went to play Rise of the Tomb Raider but felt like I needed to replay the reboot first since it had been like 6 years. Then I got a copy of Horizon Forbidden West and suddenly felt like I needed to replay Zero Dawn for the same reason.

A whole lot of lady-shoots-bows-and-climbs-walls in my future.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I really must try Deathloop, the reception on it seems so mixed but then it kinda feels the same with Dishonored 1+2, games that really just clicked with my sensibilities, the tone of that grim kinda desperate world along with a twist on technology, hmm, love it.

Man I'd kill for a Thief: The Dark Project Remake

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fifteen of Many posted:

I went to play Rise of the Tomb Raider but felt like I needed to replay the reboot first since it had been like 6 years. Then I got a copy of Horizon Forbidden West and suddenly felt like I needed to replay Zero Dawn for the same reason.

HZD2 does a recap cutscene when you boot up the game for the first time.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really must try Deathloop….

If you’re open to playing on PC and possibly burning a few bucks I think it’s part of gamepass and is also in this month’s Humble Bundle.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

HZD2 does a recap cutscene when you boot up the game for the first time.

Oh I know, I’m just broke brained.

E: sorry for the double post!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fifteen of Many posted:

Play Zero Dawn before Forbidden West for sure.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really must try Deathloop, the reception on it seems so mixed but then it kinda feels the same with Dishonored 1+2, games that really just clicked with my sensibilities, the tone of that grim kinda desperate world along with a twist on technology, hmm, love it.

I tried to get into Deathloop when it was the free PS+ game and just couldn't get into it. The story was too jumbled and the enemies were dumb looking. idk

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JollyBoyJohn posted:

D1 and D2 are leagues better than deathloop

Unrelated screen shot from that sh collection review

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Fifteen of Many posted:

Oh I know, I’m just broke brained.

E: sorry for the double post!

Sorry for your disability.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol there are short cutscenes in sh2 hd that are invisible because they more than doubled the fade out/in when cutscenes or menus take over for gameplay and the cutscenes are completely covered by the fade. Meanwhile checking the map has a massive delay before opening and after closing

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The two Dishonored games are some of my favorites of all time, but I didn’t really like Deathloop despite its strong similarities. Partly because the shooting controls are quite poor (I used mostly melee and powers in the Dishonored games. Hardly used darts.) but mostly because of the mission structure. I prefer the massive stand alone missions of the older games. It was a lot more fun to explore those thoroughly. The interconnected missions with short objectives had me quickly bee-lining to the objective while doing little on the side because I didn’t want to gently caress up a loop.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Sorry for your disability.

I’ve got a real compulsion for doing things in release order or redoing them before a new installment if it’s been more than a years. I think it’s something about wanting to be able to evaluate new installments in the context of their forerunners and needing to experience them again in some cases? But it definitely causes backlog problems! In any case HZD was so long ago I don’t remember much beyond the combat basics and gently caress Ted Faro so I just gotta do it!

This extends to movies too, like I didn’t see Skyfall until I blasted through every other Bond movie, or not wanting to see X director’s new movie until I go through their back catalog.

E: when I get around to playing SH2 I’m gonna have to play the first game too, at a minimum, for the same reason!

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 23, 2022

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Spalec posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations for (couch, ideally although I'm giving her my old PS4 so online might be an option) Co-op games to play with a lapsed gamer? My girlfriend hasn't played anything since the Wii.

She mentioned liking the Lego games previously and there's a bunch of those on PS+ so we're starting with those. Also Overcooked, although I know that has potential to cause fights.

Diablo 3 is fun in couch coop and you can adjust difficulty really well.

If you go with the Lego games, be aware some have bad split screen implementation, mainly the new ones. Start with Lego indy 1, the Harry Potter ones, Lego batman 1.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I tried to get into Deathloop when it was the free PS+ game and just couldn't get into it. The story was too jumbled and the enemies were dumb looking. idk

:same:

Deathloop’s gameplay was mediocre from the beginning for me, and then it tells me I have to repeat that gameplay until I complete a particular order of events. No thanks.

There were a lot of issues I had with the story, gameplay, and structure of the menus. After I quit, I watched a review with spoilers to 1) find out the ending and 2) see if their thoughts were similar to mine. It not only agreed with the complaints I had, but made me very happy I didn’t bother finishing the game. It may have been SkillUp’s review, which includes a non-spoiler first half followed by a spoiler filled second half.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was definitely the least favorite of the recent Arkane games for me

I think the order is Prey, Dishonored 1, Dishonored 2, then Deathloop

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Deathloop is fun, there's just not a lot of meat on the bones.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think I like Deathloop more than Dishonored 1. I did a full replay of every piece of Dishonored content in order right after Deathloop, and Dishonored 1 is still a wonderful game, but Dishonored 2 and Death of the Outsider are both way better. But I really loved Deathloop, probably because I paid absolutely no attention to any of the marketing or hype around it so I wasn't expecting anything in particular, and I didn't read any online discussion about it while I was playing it either, so I was really surprised when it seemed like everyone unanimously thought it was mediocre at best.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I enjoyed deathloop a lot especially when you figured out the patterns and it became a game you find out how to break

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Deathloop is fun, there's just not a lot of meat on the bones.

Yup. One of those games where you play for like 5 hours or so and you've pretty much seen all the game has to offer.

I haven't played a CoD for many years so I went ahead and preordered the new one. The campaign seems to have an identity crisis, instead of just leaning into the shootman power fantasy there's a whole lot of super tedious stuff like driving through the world's longest military convoy for what feels like hours and creeping around helpless crafting ad hoc tools out of duct tape and poo poo like some weird Last of Us tribute.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AcidCat posted:

Yup. One of those games where you play for like 5 hours or so and you've pretty much seen all the game has to offer.

I haven't played a CoD for many years so I went ahead and preordered the new one. The campaign seems to have an identity crisis, instead of just leaning into the shootman power fantasy there's a whole lot of super tedious stuff like driving through the world's longest military convoy for what feels like hours and creeping around helpless crafting ad hoc tools out of duct tape and poo poo like some weird Last of Us tribute.

I like the new CoD campaign, but yeah that convoy is way too long. I liked the creeping around mission but I don't know why they inserted crafting. I liked the idea of scavenging for survival tools, but screw that crafting. In the CoD thread, people speculate it's basically a tutorial for Warzone, and that's probably correct.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I never finished deathloop but did enjoy it… I should start it over.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I'm doing reDeamon Souls. What's a good non magic fun build? I remember magic was easy mode.

I.e. talk me out of doing a quality build.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 23, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Oscar Wild posted:

I'm doing reDeamon Souls. What's a good non magic fun build? I remember magic was easy mode.

The same build I use for every souls game, fast roll with the biggest hammer you can carry :mrgw:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AcidCat posted:

:agreed:

I beat the campaign last night and had those same thoughts. Parts of it are fun and parts of it are super not. It's probably not something I'll ever think about again, except for the part where a ballistic missile gets launched at my city before it gets redirected and blown up lmao

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Fifteen of Many posted:

I’ve got a real compulsion for doing things in release order or redoing them before a new installment if it’s been more than a years. I think it’s something about wanting to be able to evaluate new installments in the context of their forerunners and needing to experience them again in some cases? But it definitely causes backlog problems! In any case HZD was so long ago I don’t remember much beyond the combat basics and gently caress Ted Faro so I just gotta do it!

This extends to movies too, like I didn’t see Skyfall until I blasted through every other Bond movie, or not wanting to see X director’s new movie until I go through their back catalog.

E: when I get around to playing SH2 I’m gonna have to play the first game too, at a minimum, for the same reason!

I totally get it since I replayed both HZD and GoW18 in the last year before the sequels come out. But the recap in HFW is really, really quite in-depth. I at least hadn’t played the dlc so that was neat to go though. Ultimately, I had played too much Horizon so I stopped Forbidden West after like 3 hours

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished my GoW 2018 replay. it didn't leave much of an impression on me the first time around but beating things up really does feel good, though i wouldn't want to go above normal. prefer to rip and tear

i appreciate that it was a more restrained adventure but since ragnarok's probably going to be balls-to-the-wall spectacle i wonder if they'll still try to keep the more contemplative moments of downtime like you'd get at the lake of nine. doesn't seem like there'll be as much opportunity for it with the whole pantheon screaming WHAT DID YOU DO down kratos's ear

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

:agreed:

I beat the campaign last night and had those same thoughts. Parts of it are fun and parts of it are super not. It's probably not something I'll ever think about again, except for the part where a ballistic missile gets launched at my city before it gets redirected and blown up lmao

I just finished it as well, and yeah it's sort of all over the place and ranges from great to outright bad. It's a fun enough distraction for a couple of days, but is a really disappointing follow up to MW2019 which had one of the best COD campaigns ever imho. I don't know if 2022 even cracks the top 10.

Basically when it's being COD it's a lot of fun. Shooting galleries, tacticool night missions, big budget looking poo poo. But then there is all these missions where they are repurposing poo poo from Warzone and predumedly DMZ and it feels like some crappy open world game without the open world. That vehicle mission is one of the jankiest, most poorly made things I've ever seen in a COD game and it was soo long. Ac130 mission was fine, but also way too long, and MW2 2022 has probably the worst, most overlong rehash of "All Ghillied Up" ever.

Then much of the standout stuff was ridiculously short. Like the scuba mission was what? 10 minutes? Most of the back half of the game was the best, with some solid and visually impressive missions. I didn't even mind the survival poo poo aka what I am presuming is "DMZ 101" but those still lasted way too long. Also in general I really liked the Chicago and US/Mexico border poo poo.

Also the story is loving dumb even for a COD game. The surprise villain was a clown and I don't understand his motivations at all.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD
I feel like I'm in an alternate reality because everyone loves GoW2018 but it felt like one of the worst games to play to me. The combat felt super clunky (main reason why I dropped it), the interaction between Kratos/Atreus was off-putting, the enemy variety was hella shallow, etc. It was pretty though and the environments looked neat. I really wish I could experience what everyone else does with that game!

I beat Deathloop since it was on the PS+ extra tier and it was aight, the story felt superfluous to the exploration of the worlds. Wasn't revolutionary but it was fun enough.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really enjoy the combat in gow 2018, I'm replaying it again. It's meaty and the moves are satisfying to do, especially when you start to get stuff like the shield slam and stances. The enemy variety isn't great but I'm guessing that's going to be fixed in the new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked the combat a lot cause it felt super chunky. Super close up kratos was probably not the best for combos and situational awareness, but I actually felt like I was hacking away at stuff with melee weapons. The old GOW games were always telling me I was this brutal, edgy badass but made me feel like