Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

silvergoose posted:

I got to hexia on classic unfair, and got her down, and died to the remaining imps and skeletons and demon she summoned. That Venom orange is nuts, especially with a shuriken to do it twice.

I think venom is easily the best hero for bosses, especially when paired with sorcerer for the extra poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

hello Tann, love your game! just have a little tech question.

On macOS it looks like Slice & Dice saves things in ~/.prefs/ is there anyway I could change that to ~/.config/ which appears to be a much more common location for that sort of data?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

CRAYON posted:

hello Tann, love your game! just have a little tech question.

On macOS it looks like Slice & Dice saves things in ~/.prefs/ is there anyway I could change that to ~/.config/ which appears to be a much more common location for that sort of data?

It's hacky but you could just make the s&d folder a link to the .config one you want it to be.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
It's a small touch but something I really like about this game is that it does not ask you to confirm stupid stuff, like not using Evade when nothing is attacking or not using a Pain ability that will kill you.

Coming from the Gloomhaven app, which constantly pesters you to confirm mandatory effects and that you really do want to target yourself with the card that explicitly can only target yourself, this is refreshing.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Ebola Dog posted:

I think venom is easily the best hero for bosses, especially when paired with sorcerer for the extra poison.

I agree, I just beat hexia on classic hard with that combo. Also had a bow item that made all sides ranged, so I will say a ranged venom against hexia works quite well. Sorcerer miasma spell (poison 1, cleave) was just overkill.

First win on hard, yeah! Great game.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Avasculous posted:

It's a small touch but something I really like about this game is that it does not ask you to confirm stupid stuff, like not using Evade when nothing is attacking or not using a Pain ability that will kill you.

Coming from the Gloomhaven app, which constantly pesters you to confirm mandatory effects and that you really do want to target yourself with the card that explicitly can only target yourself, this is refreshing.

I absolutely bounced off gloomhaven for that reason

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
You guys are winning on hard and here I am getting crushed on normal :negative: (did get to the final boss twice but got owned)

Am I just bad? Is there some protip list somewhere to find obvious poo poo I'm missing?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

best tip i can give is just play more. eventually you get a sense for which heroes work well together and which are lovely, what items are worthwhile and when it might be better to take the two lover-level items offer, etc. if you're making it to the last boss you're doing great! you'll get lucky one of these times :)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is there an unlock for preventing enemies from fleeing in the same vein as the one which unlocks the Friendship Bracelet? Or should I be letting enemies flee more to unlock something else?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Junpei posted:

Is there an unlock for preventing enemies from fleeing in the same vein as the one which unlocks the Friendship Bracelet? Or should I be letting enemies flee more to unlock something else?

I do not know, but I've also turned on 'Auto-Flee' in the options menu. More encounters in less time!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
It lets you know that auto flee has no gameplay impact (aside from stopping you from accidentally killing one of your dudes in the final round)

The only thing I could see it being a negative is if your run has a lot of pain/death sides and a resurrect hero you might miss out on a final round of undeath you need

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

RoboCicero posted:

Has anyone gotten good use out of Lich's tome? The downside seems brutal and there's no way to get around it.

I had a decent build with a bunch of cantripping things. It made a die have 3 sides of 2 rerolls, and I had someone else with era cantrip damage, and another with cantrip damage. I'd build up some rerolls, cantrip loads of damage and the build up more refills if needed.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

norp posted:

It lets you know that auto flee has no gameplay impact (aside from stopping you from accidentally killing one of your dudes in the final round)

The only thing I could see it being a negative is if your run has a lot of pain/death sides and a resurrect hero you might miss out on a final round of undeath you need

I thought resurrected heroes still got set to half health regardless after the fight so there's no point in trying to heal them back up when the fight's almost over. Could be misremembering though

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

GetDunked posted:

I thought resurrected heroes still got set to half health regardless after the fight so there's no point in trying to heal them back up when the fight's almost over. Could be misremembering though

That has been my experience. This game is good at avoiding pointless grind.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Is there an achievement for not letting anyone flee? No, right? I always let enemies flee but I should just turn on the auto.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

There are no situations where you are worse off by allowing fleeing. Even the chests that give loot flee at the end of turn on their own, so it's not like you get a second chance at cracking them open.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
It's only if you need a hero to be at half health for reasons.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

archduke.iago posted:

Even the chests that give loot

wait, the what???

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

someone awful. posted:

wait, the what???

I know they need to be unlocked somehow, it is like a Mimic that drops a crap item. Also, what does the Bowl item do? It says revert changes to all sides, so I would assume your dice would go back to how how they are on the character screen (cancelling growth, decay, petrified etc.)? I used it before and I did not think it was working, but maybe my item order was wonky or I misinterpreted what it is supposed to do.

Edit: The mimic is unlocked by accepting 3 challenge fights, just looked it up.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
First hard victory. I'd always assumed for some reason that scrappers/steel were bad, but they're really helpful, actually.

It was down to the wire with a single shaman that needed to get its attack side to kill the dragon at 4 hp. I had to resist the urge to reroll when I could live through a turn with healing, to maximize my chances of winning.

Fun game!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

I know they need to be unlocked somehow, it is like a Mimic that drops a crap item. Also, what does the Bowl item do? It says revert changes to all sides, so I would assume your dice would go back to how how they are on the character screen (cancelling growth, decay, petrified etc.)? I used it before and I did not think it was working, but maybe my item order was wonky or I misinterpreted what it is supposed to do.

I think bowl might only work pre-fight? It isn't the same as stasis. I was using it on heroes with a curse item equipped/a side removed by curses, to get rid of the curse item/get their side back.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pain of Mind posted:

The revert changes stops single use items from being single use, no pain, as well as stopping decay etc. It's not a bad item sometimes.

e: maybe I got it confused with stasis, need to play some more I guess.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Bowl restores your heroes die to its original state, once, at the time when bowl is applied (that is, before combat starts).

It's basically designed to be used with curse items, or something like Pocket Phylactery.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pain of Mind posted:

I've never seen a challenge which looks like good value, handy to know there's another reason to take them!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm pretty sure I've only ever taken a challenge because I'm strong enough that the extra enemies don't matter, I've never really seen any must have items in there.

Which on one hand I get, like if I see a prism in there I'd slam pick it every time. But it would be nice if challenges were a little more worth it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I lost a run because I got too committed to a dumb gimmick I lucked into that was sacky as hell: Self Destruct Statue. Viscera + Diamond Skull, another party member holding the Alembic, attempt to get as many reroll sides as possible to try and land that 1 in 36. When it worked it was really funny but it only needed to fail once for everything to fall apart.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Pain of Mind posted:

Also, what does the Bowl item do? It says revert changes to all sides

So, you know the tier 1 armor Rusty Plate, +3 HP but replaces middle side with blank? If you equip Rusty Armor and Bowl (in the correct order), then Bowl will undo the sides change from armor, leaving you with +3hp and no downside. Basically, if you have an item that does something good but also fucks up your dice sides, Bowl will undo the penalty. It'll also undo beneficial changes, of course, so don't equip it on someone who has, like, Fairy Dust. Taken all together, this makes it pretty niche.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It can also (I assume) undo the curse items, making it a nice pick on (bl/c)ursed runs.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
It also affects curses. If you have the Left Side Blank curse, Bowl will bring it back.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

poo poo I need to pick bowl more often.

Also is there a custom party blursed mode I haven't unlocked yet?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I am having difficulty getting turns down, I am not sure how to get it to 35 outside of getting lucky and getting some key combo's early. Even in a run where I get a pretty nice combo midway I still end up around 43 or so going full DPS. Does it count as a new turn when they run away or die to poison?

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 22, 2022

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
And of course immediately after questioning it, I get exactly 35 turns. I just needed a better blessing I guess.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 23, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I thought Small Bonus+++ was an easy curse until I encountered graves that spit out three skeletons per turn. RIP

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

archduke.iago posted:

There are no situations where you are worse off by allowing fleeing. Even the chests that give loot flee at the end of turn on their own, so it's not like you get a second chance at cracking them open.

If you have a dead hero and the monsters flee, you could have resurrected him on the final turn and he would have full health the next level instead of half.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Any hero that dies during the battle comes back at half health in the next fight, whether they are resurrected or not. No need to waste time keeping monsters alive to bring back your dead.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Farquar posted:

Any hero that dies during the battle comes back at half health in the next fight, whether they are resurrected or not. No need to waste time keeping monsters alive to bring back your dead.

I thought any hero that was alive at the end of a level got bumped to full health whether they died/resurrected or just lived the whole time.

Edit:
I just tested, you're right. Never even noticed that. Yeah I can't think of a reason to not turn on auto-flee

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 23, 2022

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I thought any hero that was alive at the end of a level got bumped to full health whether they died/resurrected or just lived the whole time.

this is definitely not the case

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

someone awful. posted:

this is definitely not the case

Yeah I just tested it. I was wrong.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Finally got an unfair win. Custom party with 4x blue and 1 red. Rolled a blessing on the initial curse selection so I started with an artificer, meanwhile I took the boss bones, skulk, event right bonus, and revive at 1hp curses.

Artificer granting the 2 damage to everything spell locked in all run was definitely MVP. Also got charged and triple shuriken for them, so mans generation was crazy at the end. Got the "kill final boss on first turn" cheevo because of it too.

Wizard seems pretty bad to me. People keep mentioning doing broken things with era and stuff but I never get items to support him when I pick him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Nighthand posted:

Wizard seems pretty bad to me. People keep mentioning doing broken things with era and stuff but I never get items to support him when I pick him.

Yeah, I hate Wizard, it feels like unless you get specific items they are just weak compared to other level 3 blues.