Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

To be fair there are a fair number of items that make the Wizard really handy. And at the very least they can bump one of your others by 1 the whole fight.

And their spell is pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I think wizard is decent even without any combos, if he hits himself with the perma boost he's got some pretty decent sides. The spells great too.

That being said, he's definitely built around the idea that you'll find some way to exploit that perma boost, and if you're not doing that you're probably better off picking a more specialized mage.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah Wizard really depends on your items and party. If you get the right stuff he becomes absolutely insane. Like I said before in this thread, Egg Basket + Silk Cape is a combo that is just absolutely hilarious on him.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Wizard is item dependent, but unlike some heroes there's a ton of different items that make him good. Some examples I've had aside from the aforementioned silk cape:
Brimstone + Pocketwatch: you get a +1 and a +3 wand, which is a ton of power.
Demonic/Oculuar Amulet: Wand becomes a +4 Pain, whoever you cast that on is going to become godlike.
Wax Seal: +2 for all his sides turns him from 'meh' to 'very powerful', likewise Sapphire Ring is exceptionally good as a bunch of +2 mana keywords is great.

Also anything where taking 2 turns in a row is exceptionally good makes him valuable. The obvious one is with a custom party that includes Weaver, as you can doublecast double mana. Or if you have something like my last run where I got Blindfold+Helm of Power, giving my Barbarian a 20 damage no keyword side.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah Wizard really depends on your items and party. If you get the right stuff he becomes absolutely insane. Like I said before in this thread, Egg Basket + Silk Cape is a combo that is just absolutely hilarious on him.

I gave a wizard that thing that gives all side Era and he basically soloed hexia.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Weirdly I can't seem to beat Classic Hard anymore. I have only 9 achievements left to solve, and I am bouncing off Hard Streak of all things. I think sometimes I just get too greedy, have a bad turn on floor 15-20, and then a total party wipe is assured. Just now I had Mimic -Herbalist - Wanderer, I hit the God combo of quad damage + Ornate Hilt + repeat dice + growth dice once, then I spent the rest of the run trying to do it again and then wiped on floor 17 after I came up with X's on my wanderer one time too many.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Finally beat Loot Mode (on easy)

Was extremely tempted by Egg Basket + Silk Cape but realized after some thinking that I could reshuffle all my items around to get a guaranteed 10 mana on the first turn and nabbed Infinity. Very fun mode, absolutely leaned on Youth (+3 to all tier 1 heros, which was all of them, forever) and monster decay which was critical for making sure summon sides only ever triggered once.

Here is my winning configuration, which looks like a lunatic party set up for anything other than the specific level 20 beatdown:

And the setup I had going into level 19:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah, my experience with Wizard is: If you have any items to boost their pips, especially the permanent buff side, they're absolutely bonkers. Otherwise, take something else. That's not too unusual. Lots of classes don't mesh with certain builds.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Been going for the 'no items equipped' achievement and god drat it's harder than I thought. It's teaching me that the items are doing more work than I thought they were.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I just did that one on easy and let the blessing be my item

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

Finally beat Loot Mode (on easy)

Was extremely tempted by Egg Basket + Silk Cape but realized after some thinking that I could reshuffle all my items around to get a guaranteed 10 mana on the first turn and nabbed Infinity. Very fun mode, absolutely leaned on Youth (+3 to all tier 1 heros, which was all of them, forever) and monster decay which was critical for making sure summon sides only ever triggered once.

Here is my winning configuration, which looks like a lunatic party set up for anything other than the specific level 20 beatdown:

And the setup I had going into level 19:

Inspired by this I played a bunch of loot mode on easy and wow it's hard. I got to lvl 20 once, most of my runs end around 8-12. It's really easy to find yourself in a position where you're just completely outgunned. Longsword is such a good item for it though, it's a huge upgrade on basically every class.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Is there a place to learn about "how do I unlock cool new things" without being spoiled on all of the things? I think what I'm looking for is "hmm, what modes haven't I unlocked and how do I go about unlocking those" but not details about the modes themselves, and same for characters.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Is there an upgrade tree for classes, or can you get to any tier 3 red from any tier 2 red?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Is there a place to learn about "how do I unlock cool new things" without being spoiled on all of the things? I think what I'm looking for is "hmm, what modes haven't I unlocked and how do I go about unlocking those" but not details about the modes themselves, and same for characters.

The Stats page in-game lists five unachieved achievements at a time with only vague hints about what they unlock.

Other than that not sure if there's a database that's not all spoilers.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MerrMan posted:

Been going for the 'no items equipped' achievement and god drat it's harder than I thought. It's teaching me that the items are doing more work than I thought they were.

The biggest problem I had with that one was remembering to take them all off for the last fight.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Is there an upgrade tree for classes, or can you get to any tier 3 red from any tier 2 red?

You can get anything from anything

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

CainFortea posted:

The biggest problem I had with that one was remembering to take them all off for the last fight.

Ha, wish I'd read this before I made that mistake. I did crack it on the next Easy run (2 streak ez), though, having my solo Witch outhealing a Dragon with 3 poison for three rounds. I took the +1 reroll per boss kill thinking it'd get more powerful as the run went on and having 6 rerolls was really clutch to roll for the Witch's middle Heal 5 Cleanse side.

This game is... really good. I'm really liking the "show you a handful of achievements you don't have yet" to direct what you should be doing rather than just showing everything and letting the player figure it out. Next up for me is 3/4 same color heroes in Custom Party. I doubt it's multiple Grey/Red heroes, but I'm not sure which of Orange/Yellow/Blue is the most appealing.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

MerrMan posted:

This game is... really good. I'm really liking the "show you a handful of achievements you don't have yet" to direct what you should be doing rather than just showing everything and letting the player figure it out. Next up for me is 3/4 same color heroes in Custom Party. I doubt it's multiple Grey/Red heroes, but I'm not sure which of Orange/Yellow/Blue is the most appealing.

If you want EZ mode for the 4x try 4blue/1red (mentioned a few posts back)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

distortion park posted:

Inspired by this I played a bunch of loot mode on easy and wow it's hard. I got to lvl 20 once, most of my runs end around 8-12. It's really easy to find yourself in a position where you're just completely outgunned. Longsword is such a good item for it though, it's a huge upgrade on basically every class.

Yeah, increasingly I find that consistency or health are really good in Loot mode just because T1 heroes either have terrible sides or terrible health as the game goes on. As tempting as the Urn + Buckler + Cleave megaside is, you're going to end up not rolling it three times in a row and get dunked on. You also absolutely need a way to deal with Slates/Hydras since they are hard to clear without incurring lots of damage, and the ability to chip is pretty constrained unless you make sure you have access to cantrip sides.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

silvergoose posted:

If you click on a thing on the almanac/settings menu, it will usually tell you what to do to unlock it. Other than that yeah the alamanc will list 5 random cheevos

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Tann I think I found a minor bug for blursed mode if you have too many blurses - the container height is too small and you can't scroll it:

I was on a good run :cry:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chas McGill posted:

I was on a good run :cry:

That is one hell of a jump from your last previous best. :respek:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love Blursed because all curses is no fun and all blessings feels like cheating and there are so many insane setups you can wrangle

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Inceltown posted:

That is one hell of a jump from your last previous best. :respek:
Yeah, I got some good combos. I think Infinite Chalice saved my team on like a dozen occasions

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Any thoughts on this turn? I think I should reroll Mystic to try and get the shield/heal/mana side and save Dabble. Otherwise best I can do is both Quartzes dead and Dabble dead (use mana sides, flare one quartz, rampage the other).

Loot mode with the hero growth blessing.

code:

`{c:[2064,21Z4,2254,4],d:{l:{b:true,m:[Quartz,Basalt,Quartz]},m:[Deep Pockets,Hero growth],n:15,p:{h:[Dabble~D~Simplicity~Three-of-a-Kind~Overflowing Chalice,Hoarder~D~Chocolate Bar~Cauldron~Standard,Defender~D~Big Shield~Mini Crossbow~Spell: Clink,Mystic~Powdered Mana~Sapphire Skull~Sickle,Mage~Emerald Shard~Flawed Diamond~Tiara]}},p:[11],s:44444432,v:201r}`

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
If you have Mage gain mana, Dabble self-shield, Hoarder kill bottom Quartz, Burst the Mystic, then Hoarder swing for 4 into top Quartz, no one dies. It does mean the top Quartz is still alive for next turn, but with so much growth its probably fine to trade all your dudes being alive for missing the second kill turn 1. The nice thing about this line is that Mystic is being used to charge Rite, so you can go ahead and re-roll her like you were thinking and still be 100% guaranteed of this line if she whiffs.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just had a run with a character with three mana cantrips and a reroll, item that changed mana to damage times three, then poison top and bottom.

Cantrip 3 damage poison is nasty.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

hito posted:

If you have Mage gain mana, Dabble self-shield, Hoarder kill bottom Quartz, Burst the Mystic, then Hoarder swing for 4 into top Quartz, no one dies. It does mean the top Quartz is still alive for next turn, but with so much growth its probably fine to trade all your dudes being alive for missing the second kill turn 1. The nice thing about this line is that Mystic is being used to charge Rite, so you can go ahead and re-roll her like you were thinking and still be 100% guaranteed of this line if she whiffs.

This is roughly what I ended up doing - made it to hexia and felt strong but still got absolutely stomped

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

What is the point of the Rite keyword? +1 for skipping a hero's whole turn doesn't seem worth it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Banjo Bones posted:

What is the point of the Rite keyword? +1 for skipping a hero's whole turn doesn't seem worth it.

It really is just a limitation on the turn ordering (which can be bad) in exchange for an option to use blank/bad roles for +1. My last run I had it on a rampage/growth damage side and it was great for getting that first kill in. You're right that you need other keywords to make it worth it (cleave is a nice one).

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
You guys are WAY better at this than I am.. I played a ton pre-patch and just came back, got my third Hard win of the update but first in quite a while. Been having some poo poo runs but I was proud of this one. Possibly some questionable equipment choices but I can defend them haha.. Valkyrie+Chronos is loving clutch though on these huge damage bosses, I'll hold out for them if possible.

What do I need to do to unlock Loot Mode, that looks fun!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

New Leaf posted:

You guys are WAY better at this than I am.. I played a ton pre-patch and just came back, got my third Hard win of the update but first in quite a while. Been having some poo poo runs but I was proud of this one. Possibly some questionable equipment choices but I can defend them haha.. Valkyrie+Chronos is loving clutch though on these huge damage bosses, I'll hold out for them if possible.

What do I need to do to unlock Loot Mode, that looks fun!

Finish a run with 12+ items. Either pick the "cache" blessing or do all the "good item for multiple bad item" swap offers, shouldn't be too hard.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

distortion park posted:

Finish a run with 12+ items. Either pick the "cache" blessing or do all the "good item for multiple bad item" swap offers, shouldn't be too hard.

Ahh so best to do it on Easy or something? I don't think I've even played Easy..

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

New Leaf posted:

Ahh so best to do it on Easy or something? I don't think I've even played Easy..

Easy is great for messing around and achievement hunting because the blessings are nuts.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I did it on easy because the choices you have to make are almost always bad. It's a really hard mode though, I keep wiping even with high value blessings.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Blursed really is the best. Blessings can turn curses into strengths, apparently.

For instance, I have a curse of starting battles with a bunch of poison on a single character, plus a blessing to get a wand, and a blessing to get good items like "poison adds to your die".

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

distortion park posted:

I did it on easy because the choices you have to make are almost always bad. It's a really hard mode though, I keep wiping even with high value blessings.

There is probably some absolute madman who is on their 30th unfair loot streak right now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Going all-in on this side lol

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Hope you've got a good source of block!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Zodack posted:

Hope you've got a good source of block!

It's got single-use on it and I had a valkyrie so if I ever needed to cast it twice I could just revive her (are single-use spells supposed to be restored upon revive? I guess I just never noticed that interaction before) -- still died on level 19 when I couldn't roll that side after 4 rerolls in a row lol

edit: or was it the Rampage overriding Single-use? Never thought of that