Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Windows 11 setting all library paths including desktop to OneDrive folders, despite not having OneDrive and NEVER having onedrive is one of the strangest problems I've had on 11. I could fix it in the registry but ..why would it do this in the first place lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Yossarian posted:

Windows 11 setting all library paths including desktop to OneDrive folders, despite not having OneDrive and NEVER having onedrive is one of the strangest problems I've had on 11. I could fix it in the registry but ..why would it do this in the first place lol

Oh god is it really doing it by default? I'll have to check my mini-laptop later. My latest work image (win 10) has everything set to OneDrive too and it's an enormous pain in the rear end. poo poo like drag & dropping files, attaching poo poo to emails, or sometimes even just opening files sometimes just doesn't work. We do have OneDrive as the "backup" thing but what a piece of poo poo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is that a new-ish default win 11 thing? both times I've installed it that definitely didn't happen

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

It's opt in during installation since Win 10. Don't select that option next time.

E: Also you don't need to mess with the registry. R-clicking library folders > properties > location lets you move your stuff. Make sure to turn off onedrive sync too.

Vic fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 20, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah thankfully it doesn't seem like it's messing with existing setups, no onedrive bullshit going on on a recently updated pc.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
When an app crashes and windows takes a million milliseconds to compile a report about it while giving you the option to cancel, is there a way to disable that and say "just exit the app if it crashed all the time you dumbass it is almost 99.99% of the time the app maintainer's fault".

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Nolgthorn posted:

When an app crashes and windows takes a million milliseconds to compile a report about it while giving you the option to cancel, is there a way to disable that and say "just exit the app if it crashed all the time you dumbass it is almost 99.99% of the time the app maintainer's fault".

But that report is also how the app maintainer would get the details of what caused the crash so they can fix it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Spoiler alert: they aren't gonna fix it

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So. Apparently my HP external dvd drive has a conflict with my phone? My phone is not connected but some phone has been connected at some point, and I guess windows doesn't like it?

Problem: my external dvd doesn't work. Devmgmt says a yellow triangle next to the drive and thisin event log:

code:
Device settings for USBSTOR\CdRom&Ven_hp&Prod_CDDVDW_GP70N&Rev_RR02\K09M4JC0948_________&0 
were not migrated from previous OS installation due to partial or ambiguous device match.

Last Device Instance Id: USBSTOR\CdRom&Ven_OnePlus&Prod_Device_Driver&Rev_0318\7&24376964&0&d417a074&0
Class Guid: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path: 
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC000000F130
Present: false

Device USBSTOR\CdRom&Ven_hp&Prod_CDDVDW_GP70N&Rev_RR02\K09M4JC0948_________&0 was configured.

Driver Name: cdrom.inf
Class Guid: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.22621.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: cdrom_install
Driver Rank: 0xFF0006
Matching Device Id: GenCdRom
Outranked Drivers: cdrom.inf:GenCdRom:00FF2002
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: USB\VID_0E8D&PID_1887\K09M4JC0948____
Can I delete that previous ONEPLUS device instance somehow from somewhere and try again?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/device-instance-ids

At least I understood it so that some oneplus phone has identified itself as an HP CDROM drive? :v: If it's supposed to be "unique id.."

Edit: I look at registry and there's a bunch of those devices with the same GUID.. weird. Maybe I'll just return this.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 21, 2022

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vic posted:

It's opt in during installation since Win 10. Don't select that option next time.

E: Also you don't need to mess with the registry. R-clicking library folders > properties > location lets you move your stuff. Make sure to turn off onedrive sync too.

No, I've never used OneDrive or opted into it ever, and when this change occurs it can't be changed with location. As I said I don't have onedrive on this computer lol. It's a known thing apparently

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

site posted:

is that a new-ish default win 11 thing? both times I've installed it that definitely didn't happen
It's definitely an error of some kind, not intended. not sure how widespread it actually was. It happened on both of my windows 11 laptops but none of my windows 11 desktops 🤷🏼‍♂️

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Goddamn not having the ability to just drag and drop explorer tabs to an existing window or drag tabs out to make their own window is a bizarre limitation, how could it not launch with this? This is really basic stuff.

Serious Hardware/Software Crap › Windows 11: How could it not launch with this? This is really basic stuff

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Goddamn not having the ability to just drag and drop explorer tabs to an existing window or drag tabs out to make their own window is a bizarre limitation, how could it not launch with this? This is really basic stuff.

Serious Hardware/Software Crap › Windows 11: How could it not launch with this? This is really basic stuff

Remember for the first..year that 11 was out you couldn't hold a dragged item on a taskbar icon to bring that window up even though you could in 10/etc? lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

No, I've never used OneDrive or opted into it ever, and when this change occurs it can't be changed with location. As I said I don't have onedrive on this computer lol. It's a known thing apparently

Well OneDrive is installed with Windows, you can't not have it on a fresh install.

And what you're describing is the exact scenario when you get got by the dark UX design into enabling onedrive on install/feature update. I mean I guess it's possible it's some bug that enables it anyway, but getting people to use it by accident is their exact goal and it's working, because people have been complaining about this mysterious "bug" since 2015 when they really started pushing microsoft account/products like this.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Vic posted:

Well OneDrive is installed with Windows, you can't not have it on a fresh install.

And what you're describing is the exact scenario when you get got by the dark UX design into enabling onedrive on install/feature update. I mean I guess it's possible it's some bug that enables it anyway, but getting people to use it by accident is their exact goal and it's working, because people have been complaining about this mysterious "bug" since 2015 when they really started pushing microsoft account/products like this.

Yeah honestly it appears to be a bug from what I can tell because it happened the same way with both laptops. Both created a OneDrive folder with unmovable Pictures, Documents AND "Saved Games" folders, despite not having OneDrive installed lol. I also already have Pictures, Documents and Saved Games folders in the normal locations with files in them. Both laptops have been running Windows 11 since release and neither have Onedrive.

Whatever caused this issue would continually create empty library folders AND a OneDrive folder, despite OneDrive not being installed. These locations couldn't be changed because I already HAD libraries in use, in the correct locations so it errored out if I tried to fix.

It's weird! Like I said, I'm 1000% positive I do not have Onedrive on these computers. From what I can find on Google, it appears to be an odd bug from one of the recent feature updates where OneDrive paths were created and default locations were arbitrarily changed- it only took me a few minutes to fix, but I was extremely confused why stuff saved to my desktop wasn't actually appearing on my desktop until I found out that I had two desktop folders, one of which was set to OneDrive :prepop:

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I'm pretty sure they have a thing where you can get a free trial amount of space on OneDrive and they make it really easy to accidentally accept it during some random update.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

For real, what the gently caress is going on over there at MS? They need a more forward-facing community member or something that is able to convince the everyman that they have their poo poo together behind the scenes (even if they don't) because from where I'm standing they are just flailing about. I guess extreme market domination will do that to ya.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Pvt. Parts posted:

For real, what the gently caress is going on over there at MS? They need a more forward-facing community member or something that is able to convince the everyman that they have their poo poo together behind the scenes (even if they don't) because from where I'm standing they are just flailing about. I guess extreme market domination will do that to ya.

Every developer who is even remotely capable is moved to Azure.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

This would unironically go a long way to explain the sorry state of Windows.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Pvt. Parts posted:

This sounds like something that would require collaboration inside the company. The window guys would have to work with the file explorer guys, to ensure functional consistency across applications. If you want to be able to drag tabs between windows and into new windows.

Last time they really opened up about this stuff it painted a different picture. One of complete disarray. Hundreds of developers working on a single feature. Features getting developed several times in parallel. Complications getting features to work with one another.

My guess is the tabs in file explorer are not the same tabs you see elsewhere.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
When the wsl project started they were quite open. And from that i understood that the kernel is essentially the only flexible and actively developed part of Windows. Followed by by networking. But they have either lost the source of NTFS or it's developed by a single troll that lives in a cave deep below Redmond, and requires human sacrifice to even do bugfixes.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I'm building a new pc next week, and I was curious if anyone had any experience with Storage Spaces / Pools in windows?
I've previously used Primocache to great effect on my current pc to use SSD caching for some of my HDDs, but I'm curious if I could use Storage Spaces to a similar effect in the new one.
I was thinking of pooling together some of my old drives from my old pc so that I can keep using them without being too worried about them kicking the bucket, and pairing them up with one of my old ssds in a tier to speed things up.

So I was wondering if anyone had some experiences with it, things to not do, etc.
It is pretty tempting to just pool together all the (HDD)storage on the pc, but I imagine that would just lead to all the harddrives being on constantly, since slabs/blocks would be spread out over 2 drives each.
So the more reasonable approach would probably be to have 1 performance pool, and 1 separate one for media+bulk storage, which might be doing some torrenting work in the background. Each with some SSD capacity for caching.

It's a bit hard to find concrete info on it, especially since it seems like some features seem to be Azure and Windows Server specific, but I'm curious if anyone has any experience with them on a local pc.
Performance gains would be nice, especially from ssd caching, but the main point would be reusing the old drives that I'd worry about otherwise. Sure, mirror will waste some total capacity, but it's better than retiring them early just in case.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

MikusR posted:

When the wsl project started they were quite open. And from that i understood that the kernel is essentially the only flexible and actively developed part of Windows. Followed by by networking. But they have either lost the source of NTFS or it's developed by a single troll that lives in a cave deep below Redmond, and requires human sacrifice to even do bugfixes.

Working on filesystems is the sort of thing you want old graybeards with lots of experience focused on, with big QA labs to make sure you don't blow anything up. NTFS and Sun's ZFS were both original developed this way.

Microsoft mostly threw away their QA group and as earlier mentioned most of their hardcore devs are working in the Azure group. Not much room to risk monkeying with NTFS since it mostly just works. The hoped-for replacement ReFS seemed to have suffered from fundamental design issues and insufficient testing (see also: BTRFS on Linux).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

phongn posted:

Working on filesystems is the sort of thing you want old graybeards with lots of experience focused on, with big QA labs to make sure you don't blow anything up. NTFS and Sun's ZFS were both original developed this way.

Microsoft mostly threw away their QA group and as earlier mentioned most of their hardcore devs are working in the Azure group. Not much room to risk monkeying with NTFS since it mostly just works. The hoped-for replacement ReFS seemed to have suffered from fundamental design issues and insufficient testing (see also: BTRFS on Linux).

No worries we can just use ReiserFS

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

mobby_6kl posted:

No worries we can just use ReiserFS

Didn't that get killed off

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Didn't that get killed off

You're thinking of Reiser's wife

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hed posted:

You're thinking of Reiser's wife

:vince:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm so sick of not being able to chop excess bytes off from the end of a file.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really hoped all these tasteless jokes are long dead and buried

MikusR posted:

"capable" doing a lot of work there

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 24, 2022

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I spent like 10 seconds trying to close that Firefox window. I may be Windows 11's target audience.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

I spent like 10 seconds trying to close that Firefox window. I may be Windows 11's target audience.

But did you do it with your finger?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

But did you do it with your finger?

You actually have to use three fingers, swiping from the bottom-left corner, while your thumb is touching the right edge of the touchpad

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

You actually have to use three fingers, swiping from the bottom-left corner, while your thumb is touching the right edge of the touchpad

No mouse. Only touch. As the lord intended.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No mouse. Only touch. As the lord intended.
No keyboard either.

Go open Paint. Press Alt-F to open the File menu and... nothing. Click on the title bar and press Alt-F. Then click in the paint area and press Alt-F. loving nothing lol. You have to give focus to the menu bar before it works, and even then it insists on beeping at you.

The menus were figured out twenty five years ago how it this broken now lmao.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

No keyboard either.

Go open Paint. Press Alt-F to open the File menu and... nothing. Click on the title bar and press Alt-F. Then click in the paint area and press Alt-F. loving nothing lol. You have to give focus to the menu bar before it works, and even then it insists on beeping at you.

The menus were figured out twenty five years ago how it this broken now lmao.

Holy crap, is that another Windows 11 special?

You are going to have to pry Windows 10 from my cold dead hands at this rate.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

That seems to be a paint specific thing at least. Notepad and others properly handle this. I submitted a feedback for the Paint App detailing it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

10 points for the first goon to have Windows 10 held aloft by Charlton Heston

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Windows 11 was throwing the most insane DPC latency ever. I couldn't fix it so went back to Windows 10. This will matter for smooth gaming, audio processing and probably many other things.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

No keyboard either.

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

redeyes posted:

Windows 11 was throwing the most insane DPC latency ever. I couldn't fix it so went back to Windows 10. This will matter for smooth gaming, audio processing and probably many other things.

How were you measuring this? I remember some folks having problems with this in Windows 10 (myself included) that all turned out to be driver issues.