Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

ShadeofBlue posted:

I got the 300mm f4 recently, and it’s incredibly sharp. I need to post some photos I took with it in the bird thread actually. I haven’t been particularly bothered by it not being a zoom, but there are definitely photos that I’ve needed to crop, so in principle, a longer zoom like the 100-400 would have helped in those cases. I’m not very experienced with wildlife photography, though, so having some room helps with getting composition and focus right, and also with actually finding my target. I’ve used it with the 2x TC, too, and I can’t even see a drop in sharpness. Definitely a pretty severe drop in AF capability, though, at least on my E-M1 mark ii. With the 2x TC, you really need your subject to be in sunlight. I think if you already have the 40-150, the 300 makes more sense. It seems to me that it would be rare that you need both 100mm and 400mm at the same outing. I was also considering the 100-400, and figured I’d have it stuck on the long end all the time, so I just went with the 300 prime, since it’s supposed to be quite a bit sharper, and it’s also faster of course. I’m happy with my decision so far :).

EDIT: I posted a couple of shots in the bird thread. I’ll try to edit and post a few more.

Ah thanks for the write up. Good to hear the 300 is working for you. Nice photos too!

I'm still not sure what to get, I have the Sigma 150-600 on a Panasonic S5 and use all the focal lengths, but it does mostly sit at 600mm - that's why the 100-400 is in my thoughts.

..there's such stress when considering a lens purchase :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone mess around with 360 cameras and got advice? There's obviously a bunch of options out there but it's kind of hard to research anything because it's all SEO fake reviews.

I don't think it's possible to get a 360 camera that isn't also an action camera and I'm not against the feature, but if there's some secret stills only option I'd love to hear about it. Doesn't need a billion megapixels either, the images would mostly be keeping memories of places I've been.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
If you’re really only interested in stills, the Trisio Lite 2 seems legit. It’s just one lens and the whole unit rotates to do a 360 panorama.

I haven’t used it, but I’ve looked into these things a bit. I actually just picked up the new Insta360 X3.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

Anyone mess around with 360 cameras and got advice? There's obviously a bunch of options out there but it's kind of hard to research anything because it's all SEO fake reviews.

I don't think it's possible to get a 360 camera that isn't also an action camera and I'm not against the feature, but if there's some secret stills only option I'd love to hear about it. Doesn't need a billion megapixels either, the images would mostly be keeping memories of places I've been.

Maybe check out the street view recommendations? https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6281877?hl=en

We play “find where you got dropped on the map” games at work and a lot of times it’s lovely 360 photos of tourist places

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That Trisio gadget seems insanely cool, great results (in the sub-$1k bracket) for a modest price. Seems like the easiest way to keep me out of the shot too as I can shift behind the camera as it spins.

Form factor isn't the greatest, I guess that's a big advantage of the action cam category but man they produce some really low res images. They're certainly "good enough" but I guess I'm spoiled by huge megapixel numbers.

Or I could really empty my wallet and get one of the $3k+ camera spheres (I won't but I can dream).

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

For a sony a7 iii, should I get the Sony FE PZ 16-35mm f/4 G lens or the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD

For wide angle and general photog, as well as video use on a gimbal

I'm leaning towards the tamron, but worried that I'll miss the extra 7mm

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Do you need the extra range or the extra stop more?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I'd rarely give up an extra stop, especially not for just 7mm.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Any opinions on smaller cameras I can tuck away into a pocket that wont run me over a grand?

As the weather here turns to snow, I wont be taking my R7 out and about for hikes and walks. Ideally I'd like something smaller that fits into my pants or jacket pocket and has great images. Right now I'm using my phone, which I may just end up doing, but I'd like to see what else might be out there. MP isn't a concern if the camera is really nice. Something 2.8 or faster would be preferred for night time city shots. My favorite length is 40mm right now. I think most point and shoots that are worthwhile fall into this.

What I've been looking at is the Ricoh GR line. The users all seem fanatic about each version released. The GR IIIX falls perfectly into what I'm looking for. If you own any, I'd like any thoughts.

What other options should I be considering? Any old weirdo Panasonic/Pentax/Leica combinations or obscure releases that I should look into?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Philthy posted:

Any opinions on smaller cameras I can tuck away into a pocket that wont run me over a grand?

As the weather here turns to snow, I wont be taking my R7 out and about for hikes and walks. Ideally I'd like something smaller that fits into my pants or jacket pocket and has great images. Right now I'm using my phone, which I may just end up doing, but I'd like to see what else might be out there. MP isn't a concern if the camera is really nice. Something 2.8 or faster would be preferred for night time city shots. My favorite length is 40mm right now. I think most point and shoots that are worthwhile fall into this.

What I've been looking at is the Ricoh GR line. The users all seem fanatic about each version released. The GR IIIX falls perfectly into what I'm looking for. If you own any, I'd like any thoughts.

What other options should I be considering? Any old weirdo Panasonic/Pentax/Leica combinations or obscure releases that I should look into?

Ricoh GR users are basically a cult so you should be a touch wary on listening to anything they say. The cameras still have rear end autofocus, terrible battery life, and screens that are too dim to see clearly in daylight with no EVF as a backup. There's also purportedly a big issue with them not being well sealed, so eventually you'll get dust inside the camera on the lens or sensor. And I've heard a lot of back and forth about reliability/fragility issues.

Still, they do take good images, and the in-body stabilization does help a lot with getting good night shots, and you do get that in something that's actually pants-pocketable, unlike other cameras ala X100/etc.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a first version aps-c GR (I’m actually on my second after the first broke) and have never found anything I like more for carrying around. Tried the x100 a few different times, LX10, small sensor zoom compacts, putting a small lens on my regular cameras (d750, z6, x-20, a6000, gh3). Nothing quite matches the image/size combo for me. Didn’t really like the new gr with ibis enough to get over the changes they made to the controls.

But yeah AF is really slow and you don’t have an evf. I haven’t found it to be an issue but I’ve also been using it forever.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Philthy posted:

If you're interested in M4/3 at all and don't need a viewfinder, I've found the Olympus Pen series with a small fixed lens to be quite compact, more jacket pocket than pants pocket, but still very light with excellent autofocus and good IBIS as well.

Maybe something like the PEN E-PL10 with an f1.8 35 or 50ml equivalent?

With the 17ml (35ml equivalent), it'd be just over your budget at the links above, but you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I would love an updated PEN with a viewfinder, 2016 models are going for over a grand used.

I have a X100V and a Ricoh GR III and they’re very different and the GR will remain my “fun second camera” for the foreseeable future. I need a viewfinder and physical controls for my main photography. The GR IIIx is appealing but I got a good refurb deal on a III.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Okay, so I've been thinking and poking around the camera systems long and hard. I'm ready for some advice to pre-empt impulse decisions by asking for info ahead of time.

I really like and see myself doing crop format for years to come. I want to upgrade to mirrorless for good auto focusing. I think having a camera is nerdy and I'd like to go all in on the styling of knobs and such. Canada is cold and gross and wet and snowy sometimes.

I'm thinking a Fuji x-t2 for their library of x-mount lenses, weather proofing, cheap (800 cad?), Knobs and stuff.

The largest drawback I've heard for fuji is that the auto focus engines are loud and sloppy which isnt ideal for taking video? Any thoughts?

Upgrading from a Canon d20 that I'm 'borrowing' will lose a decent crop telephoto but it's now or never for swapping systems.

E: my mom who was taking photos 15 years ago laughed at me when I said Fuji lol : 😢

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 20, 2022

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Have you considered the R10/R7?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I see you mention video; I'd say Sony and Panasonic are the go-to brands if that's important to you.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I really love my X-T3. Paired with a XF 33/1.4 it's extremely silent when autofocusing, and I definitely haven't noticed any kind of pulsing when it goes to acquire focus. Their older lenses are definitely louder, but any Fuji lens from the last several years is going to be fine, even the cheap f/2 primes. The biggest criticism's I've heard with Fuji autofocus mostly revolve around tracking autofocus, which lags behind the competition (purportedly), or at the very least is far more fiddly and dependent on user setup to be good than, say, Sony's tracking is.

But as far as how they work in general for video, there are lots of folks that swear by them. More the more modern bodies though - Fuji really buckled down on video in particular around the time of the XT-4 so any camera released after that is ridiculous in terms of what it lets you do with recording, outputting, etc. Basically every camera will have almost identical capabilities to the X-T4 minus IBIS (in-body image stabilization). So 4k/30 recording, ability to put to an external monitor, microphone input, headphone output for live audio monitoring... And the aftermarket is there for them too - you can get mounting cages for most of the Fuji bodies of that gen, iirc.

If you can budget it and have the patience, I would suggest trying to seek out the XS-10. It's been discontinued while Fuji is still building up and rolling out their new line of cameras, but when it was released it was basically a cheaper X-T4, with IBIS. Which, for video work, is extremely useful as it means you can get a lot steadier shots handheld. Unfortunately it is so popular because of that that it's impossible to find the drat things even second-hand.
If you just plan on shooting from a tripod or other stationary methods, then the X-E4 might be good to look at. Basically the same video capabilities as the X-T4 but without IBIS.
The X-T30ii might be another possibility, but that has a more photo-oriented rear screen that doesn't completely fold out so you can still view it while filming yourself/etc.

And none of them look like they belong slung around the neck of some dork in a photo vest :haw:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

The largest drawback I've heard for fuji is that the auto focus engines are loud and sloppy which isnt ideal for taking video? Any thoughts?

In the first two ‘generations’ of the X mount cameras, Fuji was famous for sending out very regular firmware updates that actually improved how the cameras operated - notably for things like autofocus. So an X-T2 in 2022 is going to handle fine and focus quickly with many of the newer lenses - especially the f/2 primes and newer zooms, though those get expensive fast.

The X-S10 is great, especially if you want the controls to match Canon/Nikon style from DSLRs, but if you’re starting out put more budget into lenses than bodies. I’d try to find the X-T2 and 18-55 f/2.8-4 used, and keep some cash in reserve for one of the f/2 ‘Fujicron’ primes once you get a handle on things.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I hate digital post processing. I'm a computer toucher and want this hobby to involve less touching of computers.
I'm currently rocking a Nikon DSLR and its great, fine for my needs, but I shoot raw because too often I under expose by mistake etc etc plus Nikon Jpegs are a bit flat out of the camera (I assume the mirrorless ones are the same?)

I hear lots of people on other forums that Fuji mirrorless jpegs are a game changer, is this actually true or just hyperbole?
I've been holding out for Nikon to release a mirrorless that actually fits my needs but if Fuji jpegs could free me from post processing I'd consider switching brands.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

I hate digital post processing. I'm a computer toucher and want this hobby to involve less touching of computers.
I'm currently rocking a Nikon DSLR and its great, fine for my needs, but I shoot raw because too often I under expose by mistake etc etc plus Nikon Jpegs are a bit flat out of the camera (I assume the mirrorless ones are the same?)

I hear lots of people on other forums that Fuji mirrorless jpegs are a game changer, is this actually true or just hyperbole?
I've been holding out for Nikon to release a mirrorless that actually fits my needs but if Fuji jpegs could free me from post processing I'd consider switching brands.

There's a whole community of Fuji jpeg lovers out there, check out what's possible with just using in-camera settings. You could always shoot JPEG/RAW and if you're exposing and composing correctly the jpegs would probably be good for you with just minor post corrections like cropping and framing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

I shoot Fuji and very rarely shoot RAW and/or post-process. I just swap between the film simulations, play with the in-camera processing settings, and take pics. Life’s good. I did the same with Canons in the past, but the film simulations really do change the character of what you’re shooting while not being a gimmick.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mega Comrade posted:

That's a weird way to say "should I get a Pentax ME?"

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You can adjust the nikon profiles too and that would get you closer to what you want out of the camera

They just call it neutral or vivid instead of velvia or classic chrome

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Random question - anyone have good experience/thoughts on which gloves to wear while photographing in cold climate/winter?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I usually pack a set of mechanics gloves in my bag in the winter. And usually go full winter glove on one hand and mechanics one on the other. If I get cold I just put regular glove on for a bit.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Slotducks posted:

Random question - anyone have good experience/thoughts on which gloves to wear while photographing in cold climate/winter?

Warmer than gloves, you can expose your fingers for touch screens or small dials or buttons, and never have to take them off.

https://www.amazon.com/FINGER-TEN-W...8-2-spons&psc=1

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Warmer than gloves, you can expose your fingers for touch screens or small dials or buttons, and never have to take them off.

https://www.amazon.com/FINGER-TEN-W...8-2-spons&psc=1

I don't use those specifically, but I do use glomitts and they are definitely a top tier choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V57ENU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're cheap and warm to 0F. I've used them in -10F too with no winds. But I like the cold so ymmv.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Slotducks posted:

I shot last winter with Valleret photography gloves and really liked them. Now I am using merino wool hobo gloves until it gets seriously cold.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

I don't use those specifically, but I do use glomitts and they are definitely a top tier choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000V57ENU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're cheap and warm to 0F. I've used them in -10F too with no winds. But I like the cold so ymmv.

I'm a golfer, so I have several pairs of the just plain knit kind. They're warm as hell. When I snow blow my driveway, I wear my heavy winter gloves and the mittens on top. Never a moment of cold.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Slotducks posted:

Never done photography with them, but I used to work in coolers and freezers and would often have to operate a handheld scanner/computer. I had a pair of duck hunting gloves that were warm, waterproof, and still thin enough to operate small buttons and controls. A Cabela’s or whatever would have tons of variants available to try on in person.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Was the thread title formerly "don't buy ND filters?" I thought I remembered there being some thread beef against them. When I provided the camera for a friend's short film a few months ago, he bought a set, so now I have a set of ND filters. Are they dumb? Is there something about messing with light polarity that makes for lovely photography?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Sorbus posted:

I shot last winter with Valleret photography gloves and really liked them. Now I am using merino wool hobo gloves until it gets seriously cold.

These are the ideal - purpose built! now if I could only find a Canadian vendor around the GTA that actually has them in stock...

Thanks everyone else for their input!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Slotducks posted:

These did me well when I did a winter trip to Yellowstone. I had marino pro liner, leather shells plus the polar hoods I never needed.
https://www.theheatcompany.com/en-gb/gloves / https://theheatcompany.us/?c=us
Plus some single use hand warmers for the days when I feeling the weather more.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 24, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Was the thread title formerly "don't buy ND filters?" I thought I remembered there being some thread beef against them. When I provided the camera for a friend's short film a few months ago, he bought a set, so now I have a set of ND filters. Are they dumb? Is there something about messing with light polarity that makes for lovely photography?

ND filters are fine and are a fun creative option. Cheap ones will probably put a color cast on the images but that can be corrected in post.

I'm sure someone somewhere hates them with a passion but I don't remember any slapfights in here.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's UV filters that get the bad rep.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Mister Speaker posted:

No, I think it always said don't buy UV filters because the quality of the glass and coatings used for them tend to be subpar and end up screwing with the resolving power of the lens, and they were only really a thing when shooting on film.

In any case, I use NDs plenty. Useful for long exposures or if you want to shoot with a shallower depth of field for portraits.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

This was the main reason i jumped to fuji, i miss the vast lens collection and used market but not having to gently caress with raw made photography fun again for me.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I need a 35mm film camera for child documentation.

Like the other poster above mentioning wanting an easy to carry camera, I decided on an X100V just about when domestic stock ran out and hasn’t been restocked in nearly a year now…

But I’d rather have a film camera anyway. Considered a Nikon F2, kind of as a “forever” camera. But I doubt my kid will care much about having a hand-me-down mechanical SLR in the metafuture anyway.

But how about Olympus 35 (SP RC RD UD…etc?) rangefinders? Anybody use one? I need a primer. Is there much of a hope for accurate focus with the 42/1.7 wide open? Should I just go for the 2.8 on the RC? Is it likely to find one with a clean viewfinder? Anything else to look out for?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SMERSH Mouth posted:

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

SMERSH Mouth posted:

How much will this child be moving?