Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I don't get it. It's virtually the same team as last season. If anything, it should be slightly better. Granted, I think they over-performed last year, but they shouldn't be *this* bad.

I’d guess Demko got them 10-15 points they didn’t deserve last year, even when they were playing well he was bailing them out almost every game. He’s been ok this season, but only that. Combine that with Myers, OEL and Miller all regressing from up/career years and you get a team with some issues. Sprinkle in the clear mental issues the team has, no idea if it’s conflict in the room, bad culture (hello ambiguous term) or just a general lack of hockey smarts, but they are fragile as gently caress and can’t deal with any level of adversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I don't get it. It's virtually the same team as last season. If anything, it should be slightly better. Granted, I think they over-performed last year, but they shouldn't be *this* bad.

That one 50 point Avalanche team made the playoffs the year before, and that's the vibes I'm getting from this team right now.

Anyways FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST STOP HIRING PEOPLE NAMED JIM

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
This is all because JT Miller wore a Thin Blue Line hat during the off-season and nothing you can say will change my mind.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Scaramouche posted:

Canucks are already settin records

(They're coming up on the losses in a row to open the season record, 8 for CBJ in 2014 for the modern era and the wings in the 40s lost 11)

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

What’s the most number of losses to still make playoffs?

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

Stealing your favourite hockey teams
...in spirit.
https://twitter.com/dhaliwalsports/status/1584051882095673345?s=46&t=x84__5X3Q9doHXHAkrkobg

I wonder if it would take less than 10 years?

Management/ownership’s belief over the last decade that fans are dumb and won’t be able to handle a rebuild is baffling.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/dhaliwalsports/status/1584047600285941760?s=46&t=x84__5X3Q9doHXHAkrkobg

Yeah okay Jim maybe give it another few years wouldn’t want to panic.

Wippersnapper fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 23, 2022

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
After the mess of the Habs last year I would have thought I would be a bit more sympathetic to this kinda thing. But nope it still rules when other teams meltdown like this.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Caps with a scrappy win, but they did not look especially good outside the third. Carlson is still the most obvious boat-anchor...

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/1583991018591920131

...but I wonder when people are going to start noticing that Ovechkin has been all but invisible.

I’ve been mentally preparing myself for this season to be the start of the end of the Ovechkin era. It sure feels like it, but gently caress I hope he gets his poo poo together. It felt like he didn’t care too much last night. I’ll take the undeserved win though, gently caress the Kings.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

https://twitter.com/dhaliwalsports/status/1584051882095673345?s=46&t=x84__5X3Q9doHXHAkrkobg

Management/ownership’s belief over the last decade that fans are dumb and won’t be able to handle a rebuild is baffling.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/dhaliwalsports/status/1584047600285941760?s=46&t=x84__5X3Q9doHXHAkrkobg

Yeah okay Jim maybe give it another few years wouldn’t want to panic.

This sort of poo poo is exactly where that brain trust of old former players that run the flyers have been since 2012

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DJExile posted:

This sort of poo poo is exactly where that brain trust of old former players that run the flyers have been since 2012

Sean McIndoe was right that the loser point sucks because it makes teams that really should blow it up try to fight for the 8 seed

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The loser point sucks because it strongly incentivizes snoozefest hockey when it's tied in the third period, since a game going to overtime magically makes it 50% more valuable in the standings.

IIRC McIndoe's point is that the loser point is never going away, the owners love it because it obfuscates how bad the bad teams are. At a glance 25-28-8 looks a lot more hopeful than 25-36.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What a weird win for Calgary. Carolina had a goal disallowed on a weird offsides call, another near goal where Markstrom had to go full snow angel to cover the puck, then Calgary scores in OT

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Keep throwing those jerseys folks. My expectations for this team were a lot lower than most but drat even I didn't think we'd be getting to a jersey toss this year, let alone in the sixth game.

Wippersnapper posted:

I like how they always trot out the "but think how long it will take!" excuse as if we've thoroughly enjoyed what we've watched in past decade. They've tanked the franchise's value in a time of sky rocketing growth through this approach. At least from a self interested approach you'd think they'd try something else? Seems like Ottawa fans are having fun idk.

God, Bedard is a year away from being in the NHL and likely his best ever memory of being a canucks fan is the bubble. Jesus Christ.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

I like how they always trot out the "but think how long it will take!" excuse as if we've thoroughly enjoyed what we've watched in past decade. They've tanked the franchise's value in a time of sky rocketing growth through this approach. At least from a self interested approach you'd think they'd try something else? Seems like Ottawa fans are having fun idk.

I agree, they too should try the strategy of their amoral and massively incompetent owner checking into his fully prepared and richly earned suite in Hell.

Until that happens, unfortunately, nothing will change in Vancouver, and Canucks fans should just adopt a different team.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Is there a more depressing term for a fanbase to hear from a GM than “rebuild on the fly”?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Management didn't make a single hard decision all summer to appease the part of the fanbase that is now tossing jerseys and calling for their heads. Hope it was worth it.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

more likely, management did it all to appease the giant abusive man child who heads the organization

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

more likely, management did it all to appease the giant abusive man child who heads the organization

Blaming ownership is easy and certainly true in part. The larger, more uncomfortable answer is the team largely listens to season ticket holders who want a competitive team every year to justify price increases. They would evaporate quickly if they switched to a rebuild and kept prices as high as they are. The obvious answer is to commit to a rebuild and lower prices but lol that ain't happening.

Anyways, they may be falling backwards into the ultimate goal: getting Bedard no matter what it costs. Keep it up JT!

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

...in spirit.
I mean I guess they might also think a rebuild means losing Pettersson who has already made comments about him being sick of losing but we are already doing the losing so he might just be gone anyways.

I hate this stupid team and I hate that I still care enough to hate them.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canucks continuing to set records: earliest jersey toss in NHL history

Wippersnapper posted:

I hate this stupid team and I hate that I still care enough to hate them.

This will likely end up on my tombstone

Wippersnapper
Nov 1, 2003

...in spirit.

ThinkTank posted:

Canucks continuing to set records: earliest jersey toss in NHL history

I think based on what I read there was 4 thrown total.

Also this clip of Garland saving Miller from Schenn.

https://twitter.com/thestanchion/status/1584045345348390912?s=46&t=x84__5X3Q9doHXHAkrkobg

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

I think based on what I read there was 4 thrown total.

Also this clip of Garland saving Miller from Schenn.

https://twitter.com/thestanchion/status/1584045345348390912?s=46&t=x84__5X3Q9doHXHAkrkobg

https://twitter.com/passittobulis/status/1584049355589578752?s=20&t=zBEwU6_bbzmHuXvWeaf2HA

REAL GREAT!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I honestly never even look at a team's win/loss record. It's all about the points, baby.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Loser Point working as intended

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i would also tell daniel wagner to gently caress off, personally

e: presumably for much different reasons than the cop loving NHL player tho

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Everyone roasted JT for wearing the thin blue line hat but nobody cared who he was golfing with

Look at this photograph

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Miller is a notorious hothead and regularly pissed off coaches and other players in New York. Good luck Vancouver!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Everyone roasted JT for wearing the thin blue line hat but nobody cared who he was golfing with

Look at this photograph

Every time I do it makes me sad
How did this team get so bad?
And what the hell is on JT's head?

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Make a 99 point forward un-tradeable with this one simple trick

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Every time I do it makes me sad
How did this team get so bad?

:frogout:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

The thin blue line was meant to be metaphorical, not instructional.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

eXXon posted:

The thin blue line was meant to be metaphorical, not instructional.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Was that jersey toss the home opener too?

Edit: Lowlights say it was, that's great

Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 23, 2022

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Vancouver being what I expected the Flyers to be this year while the Flyers are what I expected Vancouver to be.

And we are only 5-6 games into the season!

Also Buffalo is pretty fun to watch. Them and Ottawa are keeping me tuning in to games I wouldnt normally watch.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
vancouver should tear it down and trade quinn to detroit where he belongs

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

Was that jersey toss the home opener too?

Edit: Lowlights say it was, that's great

yup, they had a triple jersey toss at the home opener and the crowd booed the guy they signed to a 7 year extension (that doesn't kick in until next year) last month.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I hope the Devils trade for Timo Meier, that is all

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bring back ties

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fawning deference posted:

I hope the Devils trade for Timo Meier, that is all

You want Meier to miss the playoffs this year ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

He might not if he goes to NJ