Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheRat posted:

Building defensive structures next to the armed forces of your enemy seems like a fairly decent idea though?

I'm no tactician but maybe they should be more concerned about fortifying their lines at the front instead of building bollards around Vladivostok or whatever the current plan is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

It’s possible that a decision maker in Belgorod oblast believes the internal propaganda of rampaging Ukrainians imminently invading Russia. Being built wrong could be inexperience or the contractor not giving a poo poo.

But that feels like giving too much credit tbqh.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Apologies for reddit link, but this is some absolutely crazy video.

:nws: https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/ybdldt/insane_footage_showing_russian_pilots_cam/

I don't think I've ever seen footage of a plane getting shot down/pilot ejecting like this before.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Flavahbeast posted:

:pwn:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1584054018145685504

the RT guy goes off the rails around 30 seconds in and absolutely does not stop

Krasovskiy has a pretty interesting personal background. He used to be a vocal critic of Putin, worked with Echo of Moscow, as an openly gay man, created an AIDS charity org, and then one day snapped and went to work for Russia Today. He's probably one of the most firebrand propagandists now, although I don't think he's ever invited anywhere outside of RT.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
He probably had the choice of becoming a Putin cheerleader or falling out of a window with his whole family.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

Apologies for reddit link, but this is some absolutely crazy video.

:nws: https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/ybdldt/insane_footage_showing_russian_pilots_cam/

I don't think I've ever seen footage of a plane getting shot down/pilot ejecting like this before.
its hosed up to get entertainment out of a war but... this really is video game insane

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Incredible dash cam footage of the fighter that crashed last week

:nws: (not gory)

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1584108205822849026

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Israel makes Iranian drone factory go boom in Syria: https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxexHk6ic8LPzrh07tbZ4Kvy5tJPOaoC60 i can only hope that it messes up their supply to russia.

edit: it's just a picture, not moving footage. :(

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The X-man cometh posted:

He probably had the choice of becoming a Putin cheerleader or falling out of a window with his whole family.

Ilya Yashin, an opposition politician, said that the deal issued for Krasovsky was either he becomes a propagandist or goes to prison for "assaulting" a paparazzi, where he would have been inevitably raped.
Thing is, no one is forcing Krasovsky to go 200% in being a raging ghoul, he was hired to be a "respectable" face for propaganda (like some other ex-opposition people); his act is all about gaining favor of his equally bloodthirsty and monstrous boss, Margarita Simonyan.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Chalks posted:

In case anyone was confused about those concrete barriers being built to defend against Ukrainian advances, they've been geolocated to inside Russia. 100% grift and propaganda.

https://mobile.twitter.com/john_marquee/status/1583945213462032384

How does this geolocation work? Is it just metadata contained within the digital photos that's stripped out? Or is there a more involved process of actually identifying the terrain features and roads and buildings in the photo?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Or is there a more involved process of actually identifying the terrain features and roads and buildings in the photo?

It's this.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/faytuks/status/1584208593863471104

e: bit of a stretch to call this man a journalist.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Zwabu posted:

How does this geolocation work? Is it just metadata contained within the digital photos that's stripped out? Or is there a more involved process of actually identifying the terrain features and roads and buildings in the photo?

I'm not sure about this instance but it's usually a process of identifying it based on terrain features, starting with some general idea of the location. You often get specific geographic feature proof being posted like this:

https://twitter.com/PauliusZaleckas/status/1583469376308535296

The twitter account @GeoConfirmed has a website that maps all geolocated footage on the battlefield along with the proof of location.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Paladinus posted:

Krasovskiy has a pretty interesting personal background. He used to be a vocal critic of Putin, worked with Echo of Moscow, as an openly gay man, created an AIDS charity org, and then one day snapped and went to work for Russia Today. He's probably one of the most firebrand propagandists now, although I don't think he's ever invited anywhere outside of RT.
There's an interesting story there.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

fatherboxx posted:

Ilya Yashin, an opposition politician, said that the deal issued for Krasovsky was either he becomes a propagandist or goes to prison for "assaulting" a paparazzi, where he would have been inevitably raped.
Thing is, no one is forcing Krasovsky to go 200% in being a raging ghoul, he was hired to be a "respectable" face for propaganda (like some other ex-opposition people); his act is all about gaining favor of his equally bloodthirsty and monstrous boss, Margarita Simonyan.

Well if he really was an openly gay man in Russia then I can think of a few reasons why he might want to appear especially loyal to the Putin regime.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like there’s a complete Internet connectivity blackout in Kherson since yesterday.

https://twitter.com/novayagazeta_eu/status/1583884117556756480

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Looks like there’s a complete Internet connectivity blackout in Kherson since yesterday.

Makes sense that they'd want to make it hard for civilians to report on their positions as they retreat. Also this seems like something they'd do close to the start of their proper withdrawal since people will find workarounds pretty quickly. Could see some tangible gains from this withdrawal next week perhaps?

Other reports and confirmations of this outage:

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1584191294808936448

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1584137204481216515

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Workarounds are hard if you're actually cutting cables. At its core, the Internet and the Cloud are very real, very physical things on Earth. There are a finite number of cables going onto a city:l; a finite number of router closets supporting the backbone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ynglaur posted:

Workarounds are hard if you're actually cutting cables. At its core, the Internet and the Cloud are very real, very physical things on Earth. There are a finite number of cables going onto a city:l; a finite number of router closets supporting the backbone.

Since the city is still surrounded, they can indeed cut all the cables going out. Some limited connectivity though might be possible with satellite or radio, but I've no idea if they'd have the gear to set something up and if the russiasn won't just blot it up immediately anyway.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

spankmeister posted:

It's this.

In other news:

Stepped on this according to their Telegram

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

looks like Germany is finally sending tanks

It’s a prop from a local WW2 historical reenactor group. It’s based off of an artillery towing vehicle.

https://twitter.com/justcake556/status/1584191362270101511

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Well if he really was an openly gay man in Russia then I can think of a few reasons why he might want to appear especially loyal to the Putin regime.

Tbh it makes him and even bigger bag of poo poo, since he’s a massive hypocritical bloodthirsty monster, instead of just a normal bloodthirsty monster. The sci-fi author was trying to give kind of normal answers like "maybe hit the kids with a switch instead of drowning them?" and the TV host doubled down on gleeful murder. His face really lit up while he was saying that too, which particularly sickened me, like the type of person I’d want to see committed to a mental asylum before they end up as a Batman villain. Like that clip I found far more disturbing than any of the Soloyov videos here. At least he’s just bombastic like many American news presenters, I don’t see the same psychotic glee behind his eyes when he discusses killing Ukrainian civilians.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Simonian has actually fired Krasovskii for his too explicit calls for genocide.

'Krasovskii's statement is barbaric and disgusting. It is hard to believe that Krasovskii sincerely believes that [Ukrainian] children should be drowned. For the moment I am stopping our cooperation.'

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Paladinus posted:

Simonian has actually fired Krasovskii for his too explicit calls for genocide.

'Krasovskii's statement is barbaric and disgusting. It is hard to believe that Krasovskii sincerely believes that [Ukrainian] children should be drowned. For the moment I am stopping our cooperation.'

Well what do you know, they finally found the red line. I was beginning to think it was like a Russian clitoris.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
key words there 'for the moment'

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
He said the (not so) quiet part loud. Not good.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crow Buddy posted:

Well what do you know, they finally found the red line. I was beginning to think it was like a Russian clitoris.

If you go into comments on her Telegram post announcing the firing, you’ll see that the consensus there is that being gay is what made the guy say that, i.e., it’s being swept under as a quote-unquote mental illness, which is not a novel turn of “thought” for bigotry in Eastern Europe on one hand, but on the other it shows that they’re *really* keen on backpedaling away from this one. The same Simonyan quote that Paladinus cites above does read decidedly more barbed in its original, than the translation could lead one to believe.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you go into comments on her Telegram post announcing the firing, you’ll see that the consensus there is that being gay is what made the guy say that, i.e., it’s being swept under as a quote-unquote mental illness, which is not a novel turn of “thought” for bigotry in Eastern Europe on one hand, but on the other it shows that they’re *really* keen on backpedaling away from this one. The same Simonyan quote that Paladinus cites above does read decidedly more barbed in its original, than the translation could lead one to believe.

I've seen a few historians and political science types pointing out how actually weird it is to see a war launched under openly stated genocidal pretexts. Plenty of wars have a genocidal component, sure, but actually publicly declaring those before hand is very much unusual and it's one of the big reasons why Russia hosed its messaging efforts up so badly. To some extent they've definitely become more aware of this, but what he said is the kind of thing that takes on a life of its own and becomes the most memorable Russian statement on the war for months. It's the kind of thing that undoes months of messaging efforts. It's a huge fuckup as far as Russian efforts to control the narrative go.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Incredible dash cam footage of the fighter that crashed last week

:nws: (not gory)

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1584108205822849026

absolutely wild. POV: Your spine just got shorter.

Reddit comment dates the video to summer, based on the alfafa field.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zwabu posted:

https://twitter.com/georainbolt/status/1579291314067120129?s=20&t=9KzlySojRkj1Jjkj4WZn3Q

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

spankmeister posted:

It's this.

In other news:

you gotta stretch it if you want the semen

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... How many bad jokes are gonna be made and names badly mispronounced because someone could not figure out where to fit ё on a typewriter so the phonetically inane substitution with e still exists and even more inexplicably manages to work its way into Latin transliteration...?

Edit: whoa, Android Russian layout requires a long press for it, too... And why the heck does it offer ѣ!?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

OddObserver posted:

... How many bad jokes are gonna be made and names badly mispronounced because someone could not figure out where to fit ё on a typewriter so the phonetically inane substitution with e still exists and even more inexplicably manages to work its way into Latin transliteration...?

Edit: whoa, Android Russian layout requires a long press for it, too... And why the heck does it offer ѣ!?

No one cares enough about him to want to correct the mistake, imo. It's just an occupational hazard of being a Russian propagandist that your name gets the most unfavorable transliteration

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Has there been any news about Poroshenko since this spring? The last I saw, he had joined some defense forces and was in full support of Zelenskyy.

I'm asking because I bought a Roshen chocolate bar with creme brulee filling from an eccentric store nearby, found out it a Ukrainian candy bar, and then realized it was Poroshenko's business! Dude makes very tasty candy.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^
He's shown off some trucks he donated to the army a few weeks ago?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

No one cares enough about him to want to correct the mistake, imo. It's just an occupational hazard of being a Russian propagandist that your name gets the most unfavorable transliteration

Sure, but also happens to perfectly inoffensive people sharing that name, and you also see inanity like Khrushev (rather than more sensible Khrushyov) all over the place. Hardly my most favorite individual either, but that's no reason for utterly misleading spelling. (English has enough of that on its own to important weird foreign typographic conventions).

P.S. Though using ё after щ is kinda silly/redundant in the first place? The Ukrainian orthography just going with Хрущов is clearly the sensible one here :p.

... Of course, Ukrainian transliteration managed to come up with Zaporizhzhia, which just confuses people, so I may be sort of in a collective glass house here.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

OddObserver posted:

^^^
He's shown off some trucks he donated to the army a few weeks ago?

Sure, but also happens to perfectly inoffensive people sharing that name, and you also see inanity like Khrushev (rather than more sensible Khrushyov) all over the place. Hardly my most favorite individual either, but that's no reason for utterly misleading spelling. (English has enough of that on its own to important weird foreign typographic conventions).

P.S. Though using ё after щ is kinda silly/redundant in the first place? The Ukrainian orthography just going with Хрущов is clearly the sensible one here :p.

... Of course, Ukrainian transliteration managed to come up with Zaporizhzhia, which just confuses people, so I may be sort of in a collective glass house here.

yeah serious answer I think is that people see an e and not knowing anything else assume it's pronounced like an e in their own language. it's one in a laundry list of crimes against language that happens transliterating cyrillic into english/roman alphabet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

surf rock posted:

Has there been any news about Poroshenko since this spring? The last I saw, he had joined some defense forces and was in full support of Zelenskyy.

I'm asking because I bought a Roshen chocolate bar with creme brulee filling from an eccentric store nearby, found out it a Ukrainian candy bar, and then realized it was Poroshenko's business! Dude makes very tasty candy.

He was in full support of Ukraine, rather than Zelenskyy or the government trying him on treason charges for alleged profiting from 2014 war in Donbas, through trade with the “separatists”. Since February 24, that case has mostly been hanging in limbo, and Poroshenko has spent the time rebuilding his name, like when he totally joined TDF for the long haul, or making military gear donations of paltry significance to his net worth, and cozying up to Ukrainian hardliners, in a likely play to make it as politically expensive as possible to prosecute him if then facts of it are confirmed. Overall, I’d say he’s gearing up to make his way back into politics, and very unlikely in the role of a Zelenskyy’s lieutenant.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

OddObserver posted:

ё is a demonic invention and shall not be tolerated. you either just know which sort of е your е is or you go home

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VSOKUL girl posted:

ё is a demonic invention and shall not be tolerated. you either just know which sort of е your е is or you go home

This is a ё appreciation zone. :colbert:

Edit:

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/arzemes/ministrs-ungarija-lidz-decembrim-ratifices-zviedrijas-un-somijas-iestasanas-nato-protokolus.a479234/

Our media reported yesterday that Orban’s head of administration has confirmed that Hungary is going to ratify NATO enlargement by Sweden and Finland. Hungarian procedural formalities are expected to conclude before Christmas.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is a ё appreciation zone. :colbert:

New thread title.