Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I'd be happy to see Starmer take over from the Tories as despite everything the party is still funded by the unions which gives them some material influence however psychotic the leadership is. That said, I won't be voting for the fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Answers Me posted:

I thought Trot was the go-to for ‘leftist you don’t like’ (another term whose various modern-day uses I don’t fully understand, if I’m honest)

which is ironic as trots are usually deeply opposed to tankies and vice versa

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

josh04 posted:

I'd be happy to see Starmer take over from the Tories as despite everything the party is still funded by the unions which gives them some material influence however psychotic the leadership is. That said, I won't be voting for the fucker.

Speaking as a union rep, if I were part of a union that supported the Labour party I'd be having very strong conversations with the bargaining team regarding what we're getting for our investment.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

forkboy84 posted:

Oh for goodness sake. I see your rich understanding of politics is matched by an equally deep understanding of history. "Some rebellion". It was the Hungarian revolution & it happened 3 years after Stalin was dead. Khrushchev was firmly in charge in the USSR & it was about 6 months after the speech at the 20th Party Congress that began some form of de-Stalinisation.
Yep. Tankies are anti-Stalinists.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1584192488956252161

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Scientastic posted:

I think Keir Starmer would probably stop short of the “grind up poor people to make pâté for the King” plan, which I suspect is the next step if the Tories win another general election

Rachel Reeves opposed Iain Duncan Smith's call for benefits to get an early inflation-based increase

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

josh04 posted:

Lol

Lmao

Lolmao

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Thinking of giving a pity vote to Boris.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yep. Tankies are anti-Stalinists.

Don't be obtuse, I didn't argue that. Merely pointing out that Dabir is wrong again.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

forkboy84 posted:

Don't be obtuse, I didn't argue that. Merely pointing out that Dabir is wrong again.
I was agreeing with you, in a slightly joking manner.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Oh for goodness sake. I see your rich understanding of politics is matched by an equally deep understanding of history. "Some rebellion". It was the Hungarian revolution & it happened 3 years after Stalin was dead. Khrushchev was firmly in charge in the USSR & it was about 6 months after the speech at the 20th Party Congress that began some form of de-Stalinisation.

Thanks for clarifying all the irrelevant details.

I don't give a gently caress which exact decades-old incident some irrelevant morons jerked themselves raw over a dictator sending in the tanks to crush was the exact origin of the term. The point is that "tankies" refers to the kind of people who jerk themselves raw over dictators sending in the tanks.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 23, 2022

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

happyhippy posted:

Thinking of giving a pity vote to Boris.

Comedy timeline:
Sufficient undeclared MPs give their vote to Johnson "so he can have a fair hearing" and "in the interests of the debate".
Membership vote for the joke candidate.
Johnson returns to power for one day, and then is recalled when the privileges committee issues its report.
There is another leadership election. Nadine Dorries stands against Sunak 3.0.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Dabir posted:

Thanks for clarifying all the irrelevant details.

I don't give a gently caress which exact decades-old incident some irrelevant morons jerked themselves raw over a dictator sending in the tanks to crush was the exact origin of the term. The point is that "tankies" refers to the kind of people who jerk themselves raw over dictators sending in the tanks.

Just covering yourself in thought ain't ya. Lashings of context and history

It's certainly important not to think about details. Whenever possible

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

fuctifino posted:

According to twitter, Laura Kuenssberg interviewed Penny Mordor this morning and gave her a very soft and easy interview, but interrupted Keith at every opportunity and laid into him hard. I'm even seeing Tories complain about it on twitter. lmao

e: Just came across this lol nugget:

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1584095446037049345

That line "He said he wants to form a Govt that will reach 'far and wide'" if you're a tory voter that has to give you pause, don't conservatives usually want limited government?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Oh wow! My first red text!

Bit o mental health shaming in all, that's cool

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wasn't me, I wouldn't waste money on ya chief. Feel free to review which of your other bad posts might have incited someone with a debit card.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Dabir posted:

Wasn't me, I wouldn't waste money on ya chief. Feel free to review which of your other bad posts might have incited someone with a debit card.

Did I say it was you?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

This means Boris has a supermajority.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Did I say it was you?

Did I say you said so?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Barry Foster posted:

Oh wow! My first red text!

Bit o mental health shaming in all, that's cool

Yeah that's messed up, whoever wrote that can gently caress off.
Pull up, thread

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

FWIW I tried all the SSRIs, they didn't do anything lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Setting the definitely-not-accusations aside.

Barry Foster posted:

Just covering yourself in thought ain't ya. Lashings of context and history

It's certainly important not to think about details. Whenever possible

It does not matter. The politics and morality of the Hungarian rebellion are not relevant to what tankies are today, and weren't really relevant back then. The exact origin of the term is mildly interesting at best. Language evolves over time. This particular term has retained a core meaning, which is 'authoritarians who like their dictators to embroider hammers and sickles on things'. Or some branch out to 'any dictator who says "death to America" at least once a week'. Yes, America is bad, we all know that, but a tankie would follow that thought with "therefore Assad good and there were no chemical attacks in Syria", which I hope to gently caress nobody here would do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A tankie is a bakkie where the bak has been replaced with a tank.

This is a technical answer.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Having the promise of boris dangling over you makes people go weird.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

quote:

Suella Braverman has said the party “cannot indulge in parochial or nativist fantasies”.

Are there two people named Suella Braverman in the Convervative party?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dabir posted:

Please sir, it wasn't me sir

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

domhal posted:

Doing good things for British people is parochial and nativist fantasy.

Doing terrible things to non-British people is just practical politics.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

domhal posted:

Yeah that did get a hearty lol from me. Suella clearly angling for a return to the Home Office, which hopefully will not be granted. Can definitely see Rishi putting a couple of the proper psychos in important jobs, though, for the sake of 'unity'. While he probably personally doesn't give a gently caress about immigration or the culture wars, he will definitely sign off on some horrible fascist poo poo if it solidifies his hold on the party.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Endjinneer posted:

Comedy timeline:
Sufficient undeclared MPs give their vote to Johnson "so he can have a fair hearing" and "in the interests of the debate".
Johnson returns to power for one day, and then is recalled when the privileges committee issues its report.
There is another leadership election. Nadine Dorries stands against Sunak 3.0.

Constant leadership elections ultimately leading up to an early general election and the breathless reporting in the runup to that would be a convenient way to keep winter covid/flu surges and the increasing toll of rising poverty/cost of living off the front pages when Tory psychodramas can be endlessly reported instead.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Shyrka posted:

Tankie is used by liberals in the same manner as Woke is used by conservatives. Its use as a perjorative outweighs any fixed definition.

Genuine admiration for this post that summoned an immediate practical demonstration of its veracity

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

This is a technical answer.

:golfclap:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alright, fine, gently caress it, if someone you don't like defines a word then that means the word is meaningless. You got me, tankie just means "leftist you don't like". Can't help feeling like I've seen this dance danced before but oh well, don't let me step on your toes.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Dabir posted:

Setting the definitely-not-accusations aside.

It does not matter. The politics and morality of the Hungarian rebellion are not relevant to what tankies are today, and weren't really relevant back then. The exact origin of the term is mildly interesting at best. Language evolves over time. This particular term has retained a core meaning, which is 'authoritarians who like their dictators to embroider hammers and sickles on things'. Or some branch out to 'any dictator who says "death to America" at least once a week'. Yes, America is bad, we all know that, but a tankie would follow that thought with "therefore Assad good and there were no chemical attacks in Syria", which I hope to gently caress nobody here would do.

"the politics of a given action are not relevant to whether we throw slurs at a supporter of a given action"

sir, sir, at long last sir, have you no sense of decency?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

"the politics of a given action are not relevant to whether we throw slurs at a supporter of a given action"

sir, sir, at long last sir, have you no sense of decency?

No, you're absolutely right, it's true, we must look in detail at the Hungarian rebellion to decide whether people who deny Assad's chemical attacks against his own population in Syria are worth listening to. I agree, I should research the history of the Soviet Union immediately after Stalin's death in depth before I form opinions about whether people who act like this are in the wrong. You have, as they say, "gotcha".

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

some mad thunderstorms going on in London right now

Hope some tories were having a BBQ

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just had a convo with one of our elders (in our flats) - 86 - she voted Blair, then went off him and then voted Cameron. Then she said his mistake was saying he would quit if Brexit won (expecting that it wouldn't) but it did as we all know, but she's voted tory since. She always votes because her father told her that she must always vote (probably true for a lot of that 'silent' generation - toddlers in WW2).

Now she doesn't know who to vote for. I said I was pondering Plaid, so she said 'good idea, I might think about that'.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MuzMuzMuzz/status/1584208672749588480

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 23, 2022

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The boards have been edited in but Fleet street does actually look like that now - empty storefronts and office blocks all the way up to St. Pauls

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
also enjoying these very dramatically-appropriate thunderstorms. Pitch dark at 5:30 it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City Slicker
May 28, 2020

Team Boris reckon they will be on the ballot.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1584226853610323968?s=21&t=HCD_PFFEqr9CO9gSCrIv0Q