Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
Is it currently known whether the "made less than $125,000 in 2020 or 2021" just requires you to have made less than $125k in one of those two years? Say, for example, you got a bunch of stock dropped on you in 2021 that counted as income but is roughly worthless now, but in 2020 you made way way less than $125k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Plotac 75 posted:

Is it currently known whether the "made less than $125,000 in 2020 or 2021" just requires you to have made less than $125k in one of those two years? Say, for example, you got a bunch of stock dropped on you in 2021 that counted as income but is roughly worthless now, but in 2020 you made way way less than $125k.

Yes. You just had to have less than $125k in taxable income in either 2020 or 2021.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes. You just had to have less than $125k in taxable income in either 2020 or 2021.

Oh thank goodness. I thought I was double-screwed-over there for a second.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got my PSLF application signed and faxed. No idea if there’s a way to check status later but I’m hoping this is fine while my consolidation finalizes.

Not really hoping for anything at this point given how annoying this process is but I’ll take what I can get.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DOE says the first wave of debt forgiveness will begin this Sunday.

They didn't specify if there was any specific criteria for who gets processed first.

Could be random, could be the people whose income was already on file at the DOE, or it could be people who filed out the beta form.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They didn't specify if there was any specific criteria for who gets processed first.

Could be random, could be the people whose income was already on file at the DOE, or it could be people who filed out the beta form.

I just heard that on the radio on the way home. I googled and found more specific info:

quote:

Oct. 23, 2022

This is the earliest date the Department of Education has said it will forgive any debt. It is possible this date could be moved forward or back, depending on what happens with multiple lawsuits involving the relief plan.

It also says that people who qualify for automatic forgiveness won't get processed until November 14th to give them the chance to opt-out following the lawsuit from someone who didn't want forgiveness.

quote:

Nov. 14, 2022

This is the deadline for borrowers receiving automatic forgiveness to opt out, if they so choose. It is also the date that the Biden administration has said they will wait to start processing any of the automatic relief.

https://fortune.com/2022/10/19/federal-student-loan-forgiveness-key-dates-borrowers/

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1583247350503702528?t=T0cZPH-rpMf6HDp7-1U9Hg&s=19

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord

On top of that:

SCOTUS denies request to block Biden's student loan forgiveness plan

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/20/scotus-biden-student-loan-forgiveness-tax-group

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Someone PM'd me this information that may be relevant to anyone who had loans to go to ITT Tech or any of the other For-Profit Schools that the Biden Administration determined were defrauding students with deceptive advertising and asked me to share it:

quote:

I put in a Borrower Defense against ITT Tech in Sept 2021 since I went in the mid-00s and I got this back:

I was expecting the $10k-20k gone but I never expected my whole $32k wiped. I paid $20k and interest made it go from $20kish to the $32k now.
Who knows if I get any payments back? if I get the $20k I paid to that scam back then holy poo poo. Please put this in the loan post but anon it obv.

I should say I got that email just today from the DOE about my loans going away after doing the whole application process a year ago and it was pending. So maybe it'll be way faster for others now because they're looking at it. Let people know please.

They also wanted to remind people who aren't sure if they have Pell Grants or what types of loans they have, that they can check https://www.studentaid.gov and it will confirm if you had Pell Grants and what type of loans you have:

quote:

sometimes i wonder why goons don't know about this, but really no one does

It's all right there, even for anyone. well it's lagged as gently caress right now.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Finally got my confirmation from MOHELA that my consolidation loan was disbursed, just in time to finish my PSLF application next week.

Just for my own paranoia, do you all think it's a better idea to submit the application via certified mail, or via fax? I've used faxes in the past for IBR application/renewal, but even with a confirmation that it went through I wonder how well it's being received on the other end. (why can't they just accept these documents electronically?!)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Space Racist posted:

Finally got my confirmation from MOHELA that my consolidation loan was disbursed, just in time to finish my PSLF application next week.

Just for my own paranoia, do you all think it's a better idea to submit the application via certified mail, or via fax? I've used faxes in the past for IBR application/renewal, but even with a confirmation that it went through I wonder how well it's being received on the other end. (why can't they just accept these documents electronically?!)

Fax is probably faster and should be fine.

Congrats!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Space Racist posted:

When did you apply for the consolidation?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Fax is probably faster and should be fine.

Congrats!

Thanks! And will do. Now to just track down a fax machine at my work. :v:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

When did you apply for the consolidation?

I applied on Friday 09/02/22, so about 7 weeks. They quote 4-6 weeks but I'm guessing they got slammed with the deadline for PSLF coming.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

This will no longer be happening on Sunday. Another circuit granted their wish.

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1583585212025696256?s=20&t=FpYn0SSGEY6j9crh2-rF5w

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So they got dismissed for not having standing yesterday and now they get to appeal and this circuit gets to do it all over again?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
They're trying to get it to SCOTUS before anyone actually gets anything in significant numbers and it becomes basically impossible for the mullahs to undo it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tayter Swift posted:

This will no longer be happening on Sunday. Another circuit granted their wish.

https://twitter.com/mstratford/status/1583585212025696256?s=20&t=FpYn0SSGEY6j9crh2-rF5w

Jesus fuckin christ

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I need to submit my PSLF form, but my consolidation hasn't gone through yet (expected really, I only applied for consolidation a week or so ago). I'm still good to submit the PSLF form, right?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Framboise posted:

I need to submit my PSLF form, but my consolidation hasn't gone through yet (expected really, I only applied for consolidation a week or so ago). I'm still good to submit the PSLF form, right?

Yeah, you should be. Just do it before October 31st.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Apply to all this poo poo asap and just hope you get in the cracks between all the court fuckery. Don't trust this country to follow through on anything, don't delay.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

F the courts and do it anyway

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Mustard Iceman posted:

F the courts and do it anyway

They have to have the cooperation of the loan servicers and they're not going to do anything if a court says not to.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wow that was super easy.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Mailed in my PSLF form. Kinda pointless if I get a new not-nonprofit job, but whatever.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Framboise posted:

Mailed in my PSLF form. Kinda pointless if I get a new not-nonprofit job, but whatever.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if there’s a deadline for refunds on Covid-pause payments? Nelnet denied my request because they didn’t start processing it until after my Nelnet account was zeroed out for consolidation to MOHELA.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’m not a big brain lawyer but how can the 8th circuit stop a nation wide program for a case that’s already been ruled as having no standing? Like none of that sounds like something the 8th circuit can actually enforce

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I’m not a big brain lawyer but how can the 8th circuit stop a nation wide program for a case that’s already been ruled as having no standing? Like none of that sounds like something the 8th circuit can actually enforce

It's a federal appeals court, and it's an appeal. That's straight up what they do.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
From scuttlebutt it's likely just a very poor standing hold while they wait till Monday to do anything because they can't be assed to do anything in the weekend. Much like many people in high positions, the weekends are a time that is sacred and gently caress everyone else.

There's no standing, and that is something the lawsuit hasn't fixed.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Framboise posted:

Some not for profits qualify for PLSF too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Framboise posted:

The temp extension applies to all the time you made payments and we're at a non-profit though. So even if in a month you jump ship, the previous payments get counted towards the forgiveness threshold.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Buglord
There’s an updated megathread on Reddit explaining what the next steps are from the 8th circuit (and other cases in the pipeline) here https://www.reddit.com/r/StudentLoans/comments/ycfdwh/litigation_status_bidenharris_debt_relief_plan/

Looks like we shouldn’t hear anything until Tuesday? The government presents their case by EOD today, then the suers present theirs by tomorrow EOD, then Wednesday we should hear something?

If I’m summarizing this all correctly.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Epicurius posted:

Some not for profits qualify for PLSF too.

FilthyImp posted:

The temp extension applies to all the time you made payments and we're at a non-profit though. So even if in a month you jump ship, the previous payments get counted towards the forgiveness threshold.

What I'm saying is that I currently work for a nonprofit right now, and the job I have an interview for this Wednesday isn't a nonprofit job (as far as I know?). So the years I've been working at the nonprofit, yeah they count, but if I'm not actively making payments while working for a nonprofit I don't see it being anything meaningful in the long run.

I did it anyway just in case I do end up at another nonprofit sometime in the future, but who knows.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Framboise posted:

So the years I've been working at the nonprofit, yeah they count, but if I'm not actively making payments while working for a nonprofit I don't see it being anything meaningful in the long run.
Iirc the TEPSLF poo poo that expires at the end of this month was like "You worked at a non-profit? Did you pay your loans? Did you make a partial payment? Those count now! Oh you didn't make any payments? Well, guess what, the time you worked at a non-profit? We'll just count those months towards the 120 payment milestone anyway!"

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I faxed my PSLF paperwork in today. I'm still hoping for Biden forgiveness. The crazy thing is I worked in my industry for 7 years after college before switching to academia and I will be in academia long enough to qualify in a year.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How likely is it we hear something today about the stay now that both parties should have filed for the 8th circuit?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How likely is it we hear something today about the stay now that both parties should have filed for the 8th circuit?

Definitely possible. More likely tomorrow or possibly Friday because they are doing it en banc and not with a single judge.

That can take longer, but they also can do it at whatever pace they want.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PSLF update: My consolidation application (Oct 12) finally got to Navient and they're now (Oct 27) working on it. The actual PSFL was submitted last quick so this is all going to be a hot mess of poo poo being finalized in a few months assuming I do get the loan forgiven. Feels silly as hell to be going through this poo poo for what's now less than $800 but if this is the hoops I need to jump for it, so be it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

One quick question to keep me from freaking out.

I consolidated my loans years ago for PSLF. On studentaid.gov and on mohela.com I show two loans. One is labelled Direct Consolidated Subsidized, and the other is Direct Consolidated Unsubsidized.

The Direct Consolidated Subsidized seems to comprise the 3 Subsidized loans I had in law school. The Unsubsidized includes Perkins, Grad Plus, and Direct Unsubsidized loans. Both show the same counts for PSLF forgiveness, but are technically counted separately each month.

Am I good, or do I need to rush and fill out a new form today? My understanding is that since they are both direct consolidation loans, I’m fine.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 31, 2022

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Getting sick of the blue balls from nothing being announced by the 8th circuit and each day that passes I get more and more nervous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Getting sick of the blue balls from nothing being announced by the 8th circuit and each day that passes I get more and more nervous

If they have something to announce on a Friday you're not gonna like it.