Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Please do not mistake me for a powergamer, alleged or otherwise! You'll notice I didn't even have the right item to get with the merits at first to sell! That's also because starting with little to no inf means you can't easily list the items for that large of a sum, but also the mechanics of that and buying stuff with the inf was out of scope for the guide. Please, if you have other suggestions like that though, feel free to post them. Getting into a habit also means it's very easy to miss things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
if you have even one character with a little bit of money, mail your new character 100k or so and buy:
- a full stack of grenade (white version), a very good AOE dmg power (this item's cost remains fixed forever)
- a full stack of taser (white version), a very good AOE dmg power (this item's cost remains fixed forever)
- full stacks of offensive, defensive and survival boosters (do this at level 1 because the cost for this category of item scales up with your level)

these will easily carry you into your 20s

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 20, 2022

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I think the power gamers are getting to level 20 in about the time it takes to load into in AE mission :v:

but also yes all the temp powers' costs scale with level, so it's best to just mail yourself a little bit of cash and max out whatever you want right at level 1. Boosters are a must and Recovery Serum is also a primo pickup for anyone you suspect might have end issues.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Level 1 or 2 also your costume changes are basically free so if you have some costume variants you want to set up (Helmetless, Damaged, Civilian, et cetera) that's also the time to get those in if you feel that you're going to want to have those available.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

every time I do a new character and do a few DFB runs I am the only person who ever has the taser/grenade temp powers, like literally one time ever have I run into someone else using them, it's baffling :shrug:

imagine if all 8 people had them, how quick it would go

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Well, now I have a new thing to do on low level characters.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Most temp powers are random fluff and barely do anything. The P2W ones were originally only available via recipe drops that you then had to craft, something that I doubt most people ever bothered doing after the first time they wasted a bunch of salvage on a crappy limited use power. So I'm not surprised they're not on most folks' radars.

The only one I've ever heard get play before this was the envenomed dagger, since it's an AT-agnostic way to get -Regen.

Edit: Another weird little thing that's sort-of related, IIRC the origin innate powers scale their damage down as you level up. But for the first 10~ levels give or take they punch above their weight class before they taper off. Prolly not as strong as the Nemesis Staff, but hey, it's another free damage button.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 20, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i use the revolver and baseball bat on my dark/rad controller because seeing a crow hit things with a baseball bat and shoot things with a gun is inherently funny. i get amused comments from team members when i bust them out to do small amounts of extra damage

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i read a few pages back a little bit about them nerfing inf farming in AE? how did they do they? did they dumpster fire and rad or something?

will be very sad if I can't farm effectively on my rad/fire brute now. veterans with tens of billions of inf from farming ae already got theirs :(

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tabletops posted:

i read a few pages back a little bit about them nerfing inf farming in AE? how did they do they? did they dumpster fire and rad or something?

will be very sad if I can't farm effectively on my rad/fire brute now. veterans with tens of billions of inf from farming ae already got theirs :(

AE is more dangerous than it was - enemies who have aggroed you will plink from range instead of standing around like background extras.

There was also a bug where if you had multiple different kinds of reward booster going they would stack multiplicatively in AE but not in regular content, meaning AE was paying out 2 to 3 times what it should.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Tabletops posted:

Depends when you mean. Specifically from the last patch they added -def to fire swords which will completely gently caress fire armor and it's 0% DDR, so you'll need to find brand new farm missions that don't have those attacks.

They also nerfed Burn so it doesn't double damage with procs and it doesn't drop multiple fire patches, but allegedly it has player accuracy/damage boosts now and isn't limited by being a pseudopet. They also nerfed Irradiated Ground so it only procs every 10 seconds (since it used to once every 5s when it dropped a patch.)

And then yeah there's been more nerfs over time since HC launched. They disabled the double inf by disabling XP feature, fixed a bug with using specifically 49 enemies and exemping that added more XP/inf, changed the aggro rules/behavior to make AFK farming more difficult, fixed the double XP rate being too high, and maybe some other stuff I can't remember off the top of my head.

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 23, 2022

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Abroham Lincoln posted:

fixed a bug with using specifically 53 enemies that added more XP/inf,

Wait, what? I never heard about this, is there any info on what this bug actually was & how it worked because that sounds wild.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

zzMisc posted:

Wait, what? I never heard about this, is there any info on what this bug actually was & how it worked because that sounds wild.

Sorry, slightly confusing, it was actually exemping to 49 that did it (and playing at +4 to make them 53.)

The bug was that you'd set "no XP while exemplaring" and it wouldn't consume rested XP (this was a bug), but it still gave you the 50% bonus when you used the "no XP, double inf" setting (this was working as intended.)

The bug got fixed and the feature got taken out, so rates have dropped a lot from what they used to be at HC's launch.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah it was pretty obviously a bug, nothing to it really, just set the AE mission to cap at level 49 and somehow you got more money per kill than at 50. People did some hilarious mental gymnastics trying to justify that lol

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Maybe they should track user numbers before and after these changes to find out if it's a good change.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I don't think they care that much about people rage quitting over farming nerfs.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
How's the illusionist dominator?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mesadoram posted:

How's the illusionist dominator?

Haven't tried it, but it looks extremely solid. They chopped out Group Invis, which no one ever ever uses, and replaced it with an AoE stun, and moved Flash to later on where it should be. IIRC the numbers are a bit worse, but it still looks good.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah it may not be the hardest control but now the whole set is worthwhile.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Stolen from Reddit:

Reddit posted:

Metalios and Zed have released a new version of Mids' Reborn for both Homecoming's Issue 27, Page Five, and Rebirth's Issue Four: 3.4.7.3. Please note that only Windows 10 and 11 are officially supported. If you are not using 3.4.6, there are several steps that you need to do:

1) Uninstall and delete Mids' Reborn completely. Wipe the folder clean.
2) Download and install the .NET 6 desktop runtime. You can obtain it here.
3) The built-in Windows ZIP archive extractor sucks. If you do not already have an archive extractor program (WinZip, 7-Zip, WinRAR, PeaZip, etc.), installed, then I recommend downloading and installing PeaZip. It's free and open source software. You can obtain that here.
4) Download Mids' Reborn and extract it into its own folder, whereever you want to put Mids' Reborn. For example, I personally have it in C:\Loaded Camel\Mids Reborn\ You can download it here.
Open Windows Explorer, right click MidsReborn.exe, and go to the Compatibility tab. Click "Change high DPI settings" towards the bottom. Then follow the screenshot. Once done, click "OK." Enjoy.

https://preview.redd.it/meq2okbptmx91.png?width=400&format=png&auto=webp&s=2f5b643c4eb95abcd7fd4d0d14057e822a067c56

Known issues:

Exporting builds to forums is borked. Until it is fixed, go to File > Export > Forum Export > Yes > Data Chunk, and select "Only export Data Chunk"
Sentinel Ranged_Damage and Melee_Damage modifiers have been changed for Sentinel, but not the powers scales. Damage may be off.
This update contains most of the revamps for Masterminds that could be done but not the revamp of the pets' powers due to some limitations (e.g. critical hit chance increase for Ninjas)
The Pet Powers window is broken.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Looks like the HC devs effectively nerfed Rage, unless there's something I'm missing. Could you cancel the crash by having another instance of Rage up when it hit, or do you actively hit Rage during the crash to cancel? Because the former is putting my damage at -9919 instead of -9999 when one Rage instance crashes while another is still running.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Yeah that change was either super early on HC or maybe even done on the secret server before it leaked. Not a good change at all IMO. I hate crashes.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Storm Blast is real, and it is my friend.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Storm Blast is real, and it is my friend.

Well dang, hello beta server. They're also revising the heck out of Assault Rifle, replacing Beanbag with Aim, Ignite with some kind of single-target napalm DoT, speeding up Flamethrower, and widening the choke on Full Auto.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

good, ignite was just not very fun to try to use, that whole OG concept of "area denial" powers has never been good.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

good, ignite was just not very fun to try to use, that whole OG concept of "area denial" powers has never been good.

You'll never guess which power the forums are trying their absolute hardest to revert the changes on

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol somehow I'm not surprised

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

Abroham Lincoln posted:

You'll never guess which power the forums are trying their absolute hardest to revert the changes on

Mother FUCKER the pubbies for HC will do their best to drag any bad powerset crab screaming back into the boiling pot of mediocrity. The dev group generally does a good job of ignoring the Petless Mastermind-brained people, but I remember them loving it up kind of bad with Dark Melee's first touch up.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
just revert ignite to how it was before jack saw people stuffing the entirety of perez park into a dumpster and it'll be fine

if i'm remembering that right at this point, anyway, it's only been like 20 years or some poo poo

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mr. Maggy posted:

just revert ignite to how it was before jack saw people stuffing the entirety of perez park into a dumpster and it'll be fine

if i'm remembering that right at this point, anyway, it's only been like 20 years or some poo poo

Hehe werewolf farming :) That wasn't in Perez, it was in that abandoned map.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

holy poo poo they're revamping psychic blast :supaburn:
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/42224-beta-patch-notes-for-april-5th-2023-issue-27-page-6-build-1/

quote:

Psychic Blast

Will Domination (Blaster Only)

Renamed to Dominate Will
Recharge lowered from 20s to 4s
Cast time lowered from 1.1 seconds to 1 second
Damage lowered from 1.24 scale to 1.0 scale.
Moved to T1
Will Domination (Defender/Corruptor)

Recharge lowered from 14s to 10s (Damage unchanged).
Moved from T6 to T5.
Psionic Lance (Defender/Corruptor)

Moved from T3 to T6.
Psionic Dart (Blaster Only)

Renamed to Psionic Darts.
This power is now a 10 target cone (60', 30 degrees).
Recharge increased to 12s.
Damage lowered from 1.0 scale to 0.8321 scale.
Moved to T4
Telekinetic Blast (Defender/Corruptor)

Moved from T5 to T3.
Mental Blast (Defender/Corruptor)

Recharged increased from 4s to 6s.
Damage increased from scale 1.0 to scale 1.32.
Subdue (Defender/Corruptor)

Cast time reduced from 1.67s to 1s.
Recharged lowered from 6s to 4s.
Damage reduced from scale 1.32 to scale 1.0.
Psychic Scream (Defender/Corruptor/Sentinel)

Cast time lowered from 2.67s to 1.87s.
Psionic Tornado (Blaster/Defender/Corruptor)

Cast time lowered from 2.37s to 1.83s. (Applies to Sentinels as well)
Radius reduced from 20 feet to 15 feet.
Damage increased from scale 0.89 to scale 1.1.
Scramble Thoughts (All ATs)

Renamed to Scramble Minds.
Now a chain.
Cast time lowered from 3s to 2s.
Main target will be stunned, additional targets might get hit with a randomized status effect of either Sleep, Immobilize, Placate, Terrorize, or Hold.
Damage increased from 0.25 scale to 1.0 scale.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that looks really fun!
e: It is, Psychic Blast/Mental Manipulation blaster feels really good now! Lots of AOE damage, the chain power is a very cool (probably a bit OP) replacement for the super skippable single target sleep, does pretty OK damage and is just a nifty power now. The set basically has five AOEs now counting the nuke. Honestly feels like they were a little too generous, it's going to be very popular when they roll it out.

Assault Rifle changes are good too, trading Aim for Bean Bag is great. I always thought the set was fine before except for Ignite being doodoo and very skippable, now it's a very good single target power, basically two super skippable powers are now very appealing.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 9, 2023

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
Isn’t it about time they release old unused names like they said they would?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Does the thing where you put build up on Aim and build passive recharge for a constant massive damage buff still exist? I feel like I kept expecting that to be nerfed but instead I thnk they just keep leaning into it, though I haven't been following HC updates for the past few years.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 10, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it's not constantly on but yeah it basically will always proc when you hit aim/buildup (you can put it on either)

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

They've threatened to gut procs in a few different vague ways, but so far it hasn't happened.

Aim and Build Up are good standbys for it, though there's some interesting uses with Tactics or Invuln's Invincibility. Both can only check to fire once every 10s, but Tactics scales that chance with the number of allies you're buffing (up to a massive 255) and Invincibility scales it with the number of enemies around you (up to 10.) If you're playing the semi-new Electric Affinity, you can also throw it into Empowering Circuit for low, spammable odds for the proc to fire. In MSRs, the proc easily stack up to 3 times in one go like that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

huh, I thought the PPM mechanic had a hard ceiling to how often any specific piece was allowed to proc, I guess not :shrug:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

DangerDan posted:

Mother FUCKER the pubbies for HC will do their best to drag any bad powerset crab screaming back into the boiling pot of mediocrity. The dev group generally does a good job of ignoring the Petless Mastermind-brained people, but I remember them loving it up kind of bad with Dark Melee's first touch up.

oops, it Happened Again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that's really a problem with /Devices, gently caress's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

Abroham Lincoln posted:

oops, it Happened Again.

Lmfao

Eager for the followup post for getting Full auto returned to a 20 degree cone because a player says their character is a Very Precise Marksman.

Pubbies are so bad dude